Charlotte's Controller

America land of free thought and opportunity

It seems to me that for all of the rights that Americans have there are a few areas where they backfire.

The right to bear arms, in a decent society this should not be necessary.

Not everyone is equal.

Religious pro life factions.

Religious anti vaxers, god will save us.

Political anti vaxers, stupidity will save us. 

Darwinism seems to take a step forward.

…right?

1 hour ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

It seems to me that for all of the rights that Americans have there are a few areas where they backfire.

The right to bear arms, in a decent society this should not be necessary.

Not everyone is equal.

Religious pro life factions.

Religious anti vaxers, god will save us.

Political anti vaxers, stupidity will save us. 

Darwinism seems to take a step forward.

Yes, and the UK is utterly perfect.

Great thread. 

The rant he eventually goes on during this clip really encapsulates it for me, and @Lord Fellatio Nelson I agree, the U.K is not perfect but we aren't subjected to the insane levels of brainwashing that USains are.

• Like 1

Ha, that's one of my favourite clips on the subject.  

In The West Wing there is also this line from the French ambassador when asked to intervene on Americas behalf because they don't want to be seen acting first for political reasons only as being called on to assist...

"You are always stating you are the leaders of the free world, so... lead".

The common theme? Both scenes are written by Aaron Sorkin.

• Like 1

I'm not saying the UK is perfect, just that the US is much further from it.

As with the UK we both can't find competent political leaders, those bothered with politics always have other agendas away from interests of the general population.

There is a willingness to impose our culture on other countries.

Other populations always believe that they can create annexes within our own country, we generally resent this.

Religion is intolerant generally, I have a belief that religion takes the place of a value set for those strong enough not to have one. The US religion is money and resentment is present where it is not present,

Religion seeks to create division given ultimate beliefs and aims, "We fight for."

I would rather just make comment on observation. Many of the Americans I see appear focussed on a vision but poorly educated and following cult like behaviour. I probably need more exposure to the US political power brokers but those showing on the media appear woefully incompetent, Daddy's money, outdated attitudes. The UK is not much better. 

• Like 1

the U.K is not perfect but we aren't subjected to the insane levels of brainwashing that USans are.

Sad but true. I lived in the US for many years. Many USans have binary belief systems: their political party can do no wrong, the other party can do no right.

Either someone is Christian or someone is going to hell.

Either someone is a person of colour or someone is a racist.

Either someone watches FOX News or CNN or MSNBC. Nobody could possibly be still reading newspapers and current affairs, either print or online. Nobody could possibly not own a television set.

Either someone is a Mac user or a Windows user. Linux users aren't numerous enough to be catered to.

Every data collection, every point of surveillance, every humiliation is "for your protection."

Either you are on a commoditized, commercialized social media platform where your data is harvested for marketing purposes and your images subjected to shoddy AI algorithms in pass/fail content moderation, or you don't exist.

U.S. oncologists and nurses told me in March 2020, when it was revealed my husband had terminal cancer and I suggested to him he be treated in the country that we had moved to six months earlier, that Canada would catch up to the US in Covid-19 cases. Maybe they were right, maybe in August 2021 after 18 months of enduring the pandemic Canada caught up to the US June 2020 percentages of active cases and deaths.  It can't be that I would want to avoid border lineups or closures or ill-trained border patrol people putting us through interrogation making us late for chemotherapy, or that I understood I'd be a widow in six months, they had to take the "oh? Our country/treatment isn't good enough for you?" attitude.

Try telling a rural American that a white family can live peaceably in a Black-majority city for a lifetime without requiring a gun for protection.

Either the income disparity is wonderful, or someone is a Communist.

If you don't say anything when someone relates at lunch or breaktime highlights from a Comedy Central evening news commentary show they assume you must be a political opponent, not that a permanent resident might think it's best to not comment as she can't vote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So having started this off does anybody have anything good to say about the US?

Some of their TV series look nice but I presume that is largely facade.

On 14/09/2021 at 21:47, Charlotte's Controller said:

So having started this off does anybody have anything good to say about the US?

Some of their TV series look nice but I presume that is largely facade.

In the absence of any feedback it would appear that the US is S*** as I expected.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

In the absence of any feedback it would appear that the US is S*** as I expected.

Or maybe this is an utterly pointless thread and very easy indeed to ignore?

• Like 3

The local church here locks everyone in it during Mass "for security". Seriously. Then it thanks everyone in the eighties fanzine newsletter for keeping all the parishioners safe. For not shooting up their own congregation presumably. 

What if there was a fire or building collapse? You'd be screwed, but god forbid Americans can't have guns :24087468:

After the recent court case I am of the opinion the the USA has not changed too much since before the constitution was written. You can go round and shoot people with little redress, you have a right to do so because you have a gun and educational standards are so low that you have an excuse that you did not know any better or the moral compass to  have any standards. Your leaders are rich and their religion dictates that you follow them without question. Any faction that tries to change the status quo shall be the enemy and treated as such. No compromise shall be made, politics is black and white (no pun intended), law and medicine are for profit not rights or wellbeing. The constitution needs review with proper values, consideration of religions and views, this is well overdue.
Covid has been a bit of an eye opener, religion, lack of education, sheep like devotion to political and social media has kept the USA at the top of the league tables. To my mind let Darwinism rule.

Can confirm they do absolutely everything horribly wrong.

Food. Electrical sockets. Clothes. Everything.

They even manage to fuck up fries, and that's their national dish. 

And you'd want to avoid the ones "celebrating German heritage" because they are Nazi's AND Yanks and absolutely terrifying. 

• Haha 1

Houses are sheds, cars are melted down milk trays and food is sick with fake cheese on it.

Said on behalf of an ex-Mod.

6 hours ago, TQR said:

Houses are sheds, cars are melted down milk trays and food is sick with fake cheese on it.

Said on behalf of an ex-Mod.

Mine isn't!!!! :P

thumbnail_20191208_121159.jpg

• Like 2

You know how when you're ill you drink a lot of water? It's okay in England, better in Ireland, but is actually straight from God in the highlands and doesn't need ice either.

You don't want to do that in America. It's utter shite, better off with vodka. 

7 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

You know how when you're ill you drink a lot of water? It's okay in England, better in Ireland, but is actually straight from God in the highlands and doesn't need ice either.

You don't want to do that in America. It's utter shite, better off with vodka. 

That is a shit excuse for being pissed every night, Bou.

However, having reconsidered things, it is a very good excuse.:lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That is a shit excuse for being pissed ALL DAY, Bou.

Wee fix for accuracy.

• Haha 1

So edgy.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Toast said:

So edgy.  :rolleyes:

Did somebody piss on your cornflakes this morning?:)

17 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Did somebody piss on your cornflakes this morning?:)

I don't eat cornflakes. 

No, I just find it a bit tiresome when people think it's cool to brag about how much they drink.  There's a lot of that on Mumsnet where they all constantly claim to drink gallons of wine.

A classic is when someone mentions using left-over wine in a recipe. 

"What's left-over wine?" they hoot.  "Whoever leaves any wine?" 

Oh my aching sides. 

Anyone who drinks as much as they pretend to drink knows that when you wake up on the floor there's sometimes a bit left in the third or fourth bottle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

No, I just find it a bit tiresome when people think it's cool to brag about how much they drink. 

"William Hague was talked into doing a lot of stupid things which he wouldn't have done on his own, going around with a baseball cap with "Hague" on the front. He looked a chump. People see through all this. A lot of the things he boasted about came back to hit him in the face. He used to claim he drank 14 pints a day when he worked as a drayman's assistant, and that he once drank 32 rums in a session. Well, that would kill most people, and in fact, one of the local publicans in South Yorkshire where he's supposed to have drunk these 14 pints a day said: "Oh that's all a lie, we used to call him Fizzy Willie,  because he'd get drunk on half a pint."

Not a go at anyone on the forum,  it just felt a good point to bring up the late Chris Moncrieff (a man who knew about a drink) and his putdown of William Hague's drinking claims during the 2001 election! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

There's a lot of that on Mumsnet where they all constantly claim to drink gallons of wine.

I can’t imagine reading Mumsnet leaving one wanting to do anything but drink oneself half to death.

Just now, TQR said:

I can’t imagine reading Mumsnet leaving one wanting to do anything but drink oneself half to death.

I haven't visited for ages.  It used to make quite entertaining reading.  (I blame Handy who put me on to the "Am I being unreasonable?" section.)

It could also wind me up terribly, so I stopped dropping in.

I'm only getting a bit of this because I used the wonderful blocking feature that improves the forum experience immeasurably, but am I not to post on a thread about America, having actually moved to America?

Well that's special.

Not interested in the opinions of the Dolores Umbridge of Deathlist. Chasing people around threads making utterly pointless comments is soooo Mumsnet.