maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2022

I do not fucking believe it. Just like in the Cup last year, I submit a team at the last minute, and some fucker STILL manages to croak it before the start line. Its like fucking deja vu, all over again. And to make matters worse, it was my nailed on Joker Billy Turner.

Seriously - what the fuck do they do in American hospices? You hear of a UK "celeb" going into a hospice and you figure they have a couple of weeks to go, They are not even a guaranteed hit that month in the Cup. In the States, there must be a team of nurses with pillows in their hands waiting outside the poor buggers door to see them off before they have had time to unpack the bags. What the fuck is the point of going in at all? Just book yourself a nice spacious comfy coffin at the local funeral home that will do you for a day or two, and cut out the middle-man.

If I am allowed to choose a different Joker, then Victor Calvagna will do, assuming that his family didn't pull the plug in time to hold hands and sing Auld Lang Syne around the corpse as Jools Holland counted them down to midnight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Betty White FFS, was there no dead pooler on hand when her eyes rolled back? So fucking close she could have been CPR'd over the start line, surely!

_122555857_gettyimages-536059585.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is that a winning smile from a much fancied pick? 

Either way, the Masterlist is up - do me a favour and check if for mistakes, when I come back from a head-clearing walk I'll sort them. 

gary.jpg

19 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Either way, the Masterlist is up - do me a favour and check if for mistakes, when I come back from a head-clearing walk I'll sort them. 

gary.jpg

Billy Turner and Lucia Hiriart died before Jan 1

The annual gc/gr confusion falls on Ted Kaczynski this time :). I picked him, not Gooseberry Crumble. Or maybe we picked him both?

• Like 2

A quick glance through the master-list and as expected, I don't think I am out of it, but certainly not favourite to take it. Some very strong teams, led as expected by Banana, with a few names that even now I struggle to find anything about?!?

One name did stand out though - Tyler Moldovan. A police officer shot in the line of duty. I know that this pool likes low hanging fruit, but seriously, how the fuck can he qualify as even remotely famous. 

What's next- a Firefighter who gets killed fighting a blaze? A Taxi-driver who has a crash while carrying a fare? Surely there has to be  something more than "person gets hurt doing his/her job"

Nothing personal at all against Banana who is superb at barrel scraping - a necessary art in these fast and furious pools. But surely there has to be some limits.

(And yes - I do realise that I sound like Sir Creep here. That does not make me happy :bombguy:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The annual gc/gr confusion falls on Ted Kaczynski this time :). I picked him, not Gooseberry Crumble. Or maybe we picked him both?

Sorted, thanks for pointing it out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Nope I didn't  select him!:D

5 hours ago, GuyFromFuture said:

Billy Turner and Lucia Hiriart died before Jan 1

Amendments made and that means Sideik gets another default joker, Trigniant (could be worse)

So, no points scoring deaths so far, then?

39 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Amendments made and that means Sideik gets another default joker, Trigniant (could be worse)

So, no points scoring deaths so far, then?

Depends on if Billy Turner falls under that "widely believed to be alive" rule.

My team for my own googling purposes:

Deathrace    
  1 Tracy Kashi    
  2 Gary Burgess - joker  
  3 Frank Field    
  4 Jerry Grey    
  5 Susie Steiner  
  6 Jesse Trevino  
  7 Anthony Wameli  
  8 Ted Kaczynski  
  9 Gerald Pizzuto Jr.  
  10 Roider Cabrera  
  11 Vicky Phelan  
  12 Israel Dresner  
  13 Luciano Voidhanger Gaglio
  14 Dan Lacey    
  15 Catherine Wybourne  
  16 Doug Kuzma  
  17 Kane Tanaka  
  18 Greg Mears    
  19 Russell Bishop  
  20 Sohel Rana    
  Subs:    
    Amir Siraji    
    Igor Bogdanoff  
    Carol Brickell  
    Fadeyi Oloro  
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Depends on if Billy Turner falls under that "widely believed to be alive" rule.

Well, I'll make the first ruling on this. Widely believed or not there was an obit published in 2021 making it clear he died yesterday - https://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/william-h-billy-turner-jr-passes-trained-1977-triple-crown-winner-seattle-slew-was-81/

So, he's on the masterlist as a DNS and the subs are in play

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

gary.jpg

Vicente Fernandez and Ray Illingworth died in December

9 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

Vicente Fernandez and Ray Illingworth died in December

FFS - How did I miss Illingworth, he'd have been the first to give me an ear bashing for such slovenly management. Sorted now

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Doesn’t Billy Turner count as a hit? News didn’t come up of his death until like 30 minutes before I posted it in the Horse Racing thread and at that point the game had already started. 

My team:

Gary Burgess (ITV News)

Frank Field

George Perez

Mustafa Kayirici

George Alagiah

Sacheen Littlefeather

Isabel Torres

Steve Carlson

Tom Smith

Pele

Jack Thomas (Boston Globe reporter)

Russell Bishop

Tim Keller

Larry Pressler

Dame Clare Marx

Silas Alexander

Susie Steiner

Jane Marczewski

Robert Durst

Pau Riba Romeva

1 hour ago, Banana said:

Doesn’t Billy Turner count as a hit? News didn’t come up of his death until like 30 minutes before I posted it in the Horse Racing thread and at that point the game had already started. 

You said yourself in that post that he died on the 31st.  The game starts on 1 January.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

You said yourself in that post that he died on the 31st.  The game starts on 1 January.

11 - In honour of everybody's favourite Maddie-implicated paedo scum a candidate widely believed to be alive on 1 January and subsequently proven to have died previously will be awarded 365 points in the event that a Deathrace qualifying obit subsequently appears for said candidate. In the event that a Deathrace qualifying obit for the candidate is subsequently proven to have existed prior to commencement of the Deathrace all points will be voided. RHME points are only available during competition and in the event that a winner has been declared before discovery of a qualifyiing RHME candidate no revision of the final result will occur. Similarly, if some lucky candidate is awarded RHME points and these points are still in play at the time a winner is declared the points will not subsequently be voided and may - therefore - count towards a championship. All disputes relating to RHME will be resolved by the astute judgement of MPFC and there is no appeals procedure (though all sides of opionion are warmly invited to liven up the Deathrace thread by venting their fury).

The thing is that Turner’s obituary was released on the 31st when he died. As such despite being a Turner picker myself I think I lean towards him not counting for Raymond Hewlett points

• Thanks 1

On 01/11/2021 at 09:42, maryportfuncity said:

Billy Turner – af*, ba, bk, gr, jr, sk* - DNS DUE TO DEATH

The Hewlett rule was introduced to cover people who had died under the radar, not those who die hours before the game starts.

Anyway you'll have to argue your case with MPFC but it looks as though he's already been designated a DNS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The thing is that Turner’s obituary was released on the 31st when he died. As such despite being a Turner picker myself I think I lean towards him not counting for Raymond Hewlett points

Probably how it's ruled, guess it depends on how January 1st is interpreted.

Since his death was announced on 31 December, he wasn't  "widely believed to be alive on 1 January".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Since his death was announced on 31 December, he wasn't  "widely believed to be alive on 1 January".

When it was January 1st in the UK, nothing was known, that's the difference. Idk why you're having such an issue with this anyway.

11 minutes ago, Banana said:

When it was January 1st in the UK, nothing was known, that's the difference. Idk why you're having such an issue with this anyway.

It's not for me to say.  But I remember the discussions at the time the rule was drawn up, and it was to cover cases where people had died months or even years earlier but gone under the radar.