gcreptile

41. Brigitte Bardot

Thread for French sex symbol, actress, cultural icon, animal lover and ...uhh.. occasional racist Brigitte Bardot, now 87 years old.

I was inspired to create this thread after her most recent racial faux-pas regarding the people of La Reunion, not the first time she "misspoke"!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/11/04/brigitte-bardot-fined-calling-french-indian-ocean-islanders/

Health-wise she had breast cancer in the 80s, and overdosed once (that we know of), indicating a history of drugs. After her worldwide career as an actress and occasional singer and model, she became an outspoken animal rights activist.

Her current husband has connections to Jean-Marie Le Pen. She also had relationships with deathlist favourite Jean-Louis Trintignant, and, of course, Warren Beatty.

But I guess it's her face and posture that is the stuff of legends (and inspiration for Jane Fonda's also iconic Barbarella):

Brigitte Bardot struggled with depression and repeatedly attempted suicide  | The Independent | The Independent

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

I was inspired to create this thread after her most recent racial faux-pas regarding the people of La Reunion, not the first time she "misspoke"!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/11/04/brigitte-bardot-fined-calling-french-indian-ocean-islanders/

I'd dispute that calling them "savages" was racist.  She was referring to their behaviour.   Anyone can behave like a "degenerate savage", whatever their race or colour.

I shagged a bloke from Réunion once. 

Well, it was about how the people of this island treat animals, so her animal activism got in her way. Describing it as "having savage genes" is pretty much racism, in my opinion, racism in the original sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, it was about how the people of this island treat animals, so her animal activism got in her way. Describing it as "having savage genes" is pretty much racism, in my opinion, racism in the original sense.

I disagree, all humans were savages way back in the Stone Age or whenever.  Anyway I am absolutely certain that the remark was alluding to behaviour and not race.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I'd dispute that calling them "savages" was racist.  She was referring to their behaviour.   Anyone can behave like a "degenerate savage", whatever their race or colour.

I shagged a bloke from Réunion once. 

Was he good?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Was he good?

3 hours, Gooseberry, yer slacking!

• Haha 2

She is a 87-years old adamant anti-vaxxer, so that might be risky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/05/2023 at 02:38, Summer in Transylvania said:

Also mentioned in the French DeathList thread, Brigitte Bardot was recently hospitalised for respiratory issues and spent some time in intensive care a few weeks ago. Link in French.

Possible we’ll lose both Delon and Bardot next year. Easily most famous man and woman of French cinema! 

4 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Also mentioned in the French DeathList thread, Brigitte Bardot was recently hospitalised for respiratory issues and spent some time in intensive care a few weeks ago. Link in French.

Then again, respiratory issues were central to many of her best screen performances, IIRC

• Haha 2

Here is a new letter from her which states : "I want to reassure everyone : I'm doing really fine ! The press made a whole scandal about a malaise dating from January and and about which there is a lot of fuss just now. I haven't lost any mental capacities, the public letter that I adressed 3 days ago to Macron is a proof. Be assured that everything is fine, lots of kisses, BB". 

Seems fine to me

IMG_4667.JPG

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Here is a new letter from her which states : "I want to reassure everyone : I'm doing really fine ! The press made a whole scandal about a malaise dating from January and and about which there is a lot of fuss just now. I haven't lost any mental capacities, the public letter that I adressed 3 days ago to Macron is a proof. Be assured that everything is fine, lots of kisses, BB". 

Seems fine to me

IMG_4667.JPG

Assuming that is indeed her handwriting, it's pretty good for someone who recently spent a stretch in the ICU...

23 minutes ago, Comped said:

Assuming that is indeed her handwriting, it's pretty good for someone who recently spent a stretch in the ICU...

This is hers. She always had a pretty good handwritting.

492F232E-6E69-4553-90DB-98B311221E04.jpeg

• Like 1

Go Bigritte !! Hope to achieve your 90's in september

• Like 1

Question : was Jeanne Moreau as famous in the UK as Bardot is ? In France she still is but I doubt She could have made the list. Died at 89 in 2017. Have a feeling BB could well follow her footprints…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Question : was Jeanne Moreau as famous in the UK as Bardot is ? In France she still is but I doubt She could have made the list. Died at 89 in 2017. Have a feeling BB could well follow her footprints…

Nope. I’ve never heard of Jeanne Moreau. Google shows she got obits but I don’t think she got any push notifications about her death which Brigette Bardot will get. 

• Like 1