The Old Crem

How’s Your 2022 Shortlist going?

My list is now down to 32 picks, having pruned a few entries over the past few days for various reasons, including deaths. There's still several entries on there who most likely won't make it to next year (or even next week in a couple of cases), so I'm holding off submitting it for now. Plus I'm still not certain as to whether a couple of picks will get a QO.

• Like 1

I guess it is that time of year for people to come out and post days/weeks/months old news on sleeper picks

24 minutes ago, Banana said:

I guess it is that time of year for people to come out and post days/weeks/months old news on sleeper picks

Is it? OK< don't spread this around, but apparently Gary Burgess is a bit unwell...

• Haha 1

So, my shortlist has actually gotten quite a bit longer over the last couple days.  What I really need is a British liaison, who doesn't compete, that could shine light on whether some of my deeper names have any chance of finding a qualifying obit.  Believe I actually have enough not-quite-obit-worthy names now to make a "All Hits - No Obits" theme team.

4 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

So, my shortlist has actually gotten quite a bit longer over the last couple days.  What I really need is a British liaison, who doesn't compete, that could shine light on whether some of my deeper names have any chance of finding a qualifying obit.  Believe I actually have enough not-quite-obit-worthy names now to make a "All Hits - No Obits" theme team.

Send em my way I wont tell anyone

11 minutes ago, Banana said:

Send em my way I wont tell anyone

Hmmmmm

image.png.493279637db43cb110306c0ae0432865.png

40 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Msc had a team like that earlier, and while it was largely a success, he had a few who didn’t die and even a couple who got a qualifying obit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Msc had a team like that earlier, and while it was largely a success, he had a few who didn’t die and even a couple who got a qualifying obit!

You'll Never Find Us in the Guardian Obits at Parties. The moment Spade probably thought "right, that fucker is going to replace me..."

GOT AN OBIT - Fred Rister (cost me money, the bastard), Manohar Parrikar, Edmund Capon

DIED, DIDNT OBIT - Chris Wilson, Jonny Savile (?), Dennis Richardson, Derek Maitland, WT Johnson, Tanya Gendle, John Cocks, Paul Dewar, Spencer Bohren, Jeff Blackshear, Syed Islam, Dave Agosti

DIED LATER - Bill Freehan, Karen Lewis, Joe Vento

NOT SURE - Gillian Lee, Andy Anderson

And my penance was siphoning through all those WEP teams...

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

You'll Never Find Us in the Guardian Obits at Parties. The moment Spade probably thought "right, that fucker is going to replace me..."

GOT AN OBIT - Fred Rister (cost me money, the bastard), Manohar Parrikar, Edmund Capon

DIED, DIDNT OBIT - Chris Wilson, Jonny Savile (?), Dennis Richardson, Derek Maitland, WT Johnson, Tanya Gendle, John Cocks, Paul Dewar, Spencer Bohren, Jeff Blackshear, Syed Islam, Dave Agosti

Not to mention that two of your three died later folk also ended up getting a QO…

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Not to mention that two of your three died later folk also ended up getting a QO…

To be fair I was trying to take the piss out of Sir Creep and he got the last laugh. It's not my finest DDP moment. :lol:

After a bit of pruning I've come up with a list of twenty. I'll wait a week or two before sending it, as I'm not certain a few picks will make it.

On 13/11/2021 at 15:29, Predictor said:

Next year will be my 10th and final year in the DDP. :ghost6:

I just remembered that the first deathpool I ever entered was in December 2011, so that's another 10th anniversary! :birthday2: When I discovered the rules and scoring of the DDP, I never looked back to the other one.

I won't start researching until after Christmas Eve. Too much of a risk mixing up the shortlist with my Christmas shopping list. Next thing you know, I'm left wondering which of my family and friends I thought would want a whale and how the hell I can get one. All the while Kodak Black sneaks in to Predictor's Predictions... :24087468:

I want to structure my DDP team in a way that if my gamble picks don't pan out, it'll be balanced out by 10-14 strong picks. So uniques will just be bonuses, not a main objective. May sound like an obvious thing, but I have yet to find a succesful balance.

Competitions I plan on entering, like a "farewell tour": DDP, Hare's, Deathrace, Centenarians Deadpool, Death By Numbers (debut), DL Prediction Game (debut), Inverse Deadpool (debut) & Alt Obituaries Deadpool (debut, undecided). I have already entered Birthing Pool and Twisted DL. Using cast members from the 1996 film Twisted in the latter game means that I won't have to regularly replace dead entries, which is fine because I can't commit to a pool past submission deadline.

• Like 1

I am now sure of 95% of the names I want to add to my teams but I'm struggling with which names I need to remove from the existing list to make room for them.

There are some names I am quite attached to like Loretta Lynn!!

I probably won't submit anything. The whole deadpooling thing doesn't spark joy. I only put in 2 (?) teams all year and went away from the forum for 4 months. I'm very much not well, in all honesty, but I prefer to keep my neurotic ramblings offline. We'll see what happens come Hogmanay.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I probably won't submit anything. The whole deadpooling thing doesn't spark joy. I only put in 2 (?) teams all year and went away from the forum for 4 months. I'm very much not well, in all honesty, but I prefer to keep my neurotic ramblings offline. We'll see what happens come Hogmanay.

Things will pick up, may be hard to believe on shit days but trust, they will. In the meantime, take it easy mate :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Clorox, mate, take care of yourself. Real life and health must come first, and daft old deadpoolers will be here later if needed. 

• Thanks 1

We won't mind neurotic ramblings if it helps to unload them here.  Just do anything that makes you feel better - there will always be something, no matter how small.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably going to have my last big research push tomorrow on Christmas Eve. Gonna be pretty busy after Christmas so I don’t think I’m able to get too much done then. Although tbh I’m pretty satisfied with my team. I still expect a lot of them to die before the New Year though 

Me: Damn it, my shortlist is falling to bits and I can't find replacements.

Mrs MSC: Don't worry about it, after all, aren't your deadpool teams always shite anyway?

Quick confidence boost on the touchline there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 13/12/2021 at 20:21, msc said:

Ah. You misspelt Jonny Saville here, but he has only just died. Andy Anderson also died in 2019 according to my researches. Gillian Lee is either the last survivor of that team or died so far off radar we never knew.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah. You misspelt Jonny Saville here, but he has only just died. Andy Anderson also died in 2019 according to my researches. Gillian Lee is either the last survivor of that team or died so far off radar we never knew.

Who was the Gillian Lee in question?  The mountain climber who almost died or the author of a book about her brain tumour?  I’ll assume the latter but…

11 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Who was the Gillian Lee in question?  The mountain climber who almost died or the author of a book about her brain tumour?  I’ll assume the latter but…

The BBC film editor (who I think from Google might also be the author) who did interviews at the time about her glioblastoma. At the time I think I just picked her in response to some actual BBC folk not getting QOs at the time, but looking back she was very, very obscure and almost certainly would have been FFBI blocked nowadays.

31 minutes ago, msc said:

The BBC film editor (who I think from Google might also be the author) who did interviews at the time about her glioblastoma. At the time I think I just picked her in response to some actual BBC folk not getting QOs at the time, but looking back she was very, very obscure and almost certainly would have been FFBI blocked nowadays.

What I know: Gillian’s husband is named Christian and they lived in Cheshire.

What I pieced together:A dormant company headquartered in Cheshire and run by a Christian Lee.  A Gillian Lee (was Treasurer or summat) terminated 9 Dec 2019; shortly thereafter the company’s name changes to Christian Lee Ltd and moves it’s Headquarters from Cheshire to MiddleShite.  

Wee bit of coincidence, OR we can presume the reason for the changes is the death of Gillian Lee on a date slightly prior to 9 Dec 2019.

IMG_9324.png

IMG_9325.png

IMG_9326.png

• Like 2

Good find SC. Did some more searching and found this.

gillianlee.PNG.90b6a4425e079a72328c085b7f9abf8c.PNG

• Like 1