dimreaper

Ray Illingworth

Ray Illingworth, cricketer and former England captain, is now battling advanced esophageal cancer and wants the right to end his life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe one for the 2022 list. He is famous enough here in England. Not a cert as the treatment might well keep him going into 2023. But 89 and with cancer makes him a decent bet at least. 

• Like 1

My knowledge of cricket is very limited, however, former Ashes winning captain = DL front pager, no? They love their cricket like I love a good episode of Dr Who.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, msc said:

My knowledge of cricket is very limited, however, former Ashes winning captain = DL front pager, no? They love their cricket like I love a good episode of Dr Who.

I would say he is famous enough. 

Through he says the cancer has already shrunk from 8cm to 2cm and he still has two more doses of treatment to go. And once you his age (90 next June) cancer often takes a long time to come back anyway. 

Great Test captain and pretty good Test and First Class career - if Martin Crowe can be top of the DL then no issues at all with RI being in top 10.

Also, I learn from Wiki, the oldest person alive to have played a One Day International having played in the very first in 1971.

• Like 1

Although clearly not in good shape the articles suggest he is more campaigning for assisted dying due to his late wife's experience of cancer rather than his own plus the tumour has shrunk from 8 centimetres to 2 centimetres. He does state though that he doesn't want the last 12 months that his wife has so poorly and old undoubtedly but at death's door right now, perhaps not. 

Illingworth is the last survivor from the very first edition of Question of Sport. However, one report last night stated that he was the last survivor of the very first cricket one-day international in 1971 - totally implausible that the other 21 players had all died in the last 50 years!! Illingworth & Boycott (also had cancer issues) are the last 2 survivors of the Yorkshire Four - Close, Trueman, Boycott & Illingworth.  

18 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Illingworth is the last survivor from the very first edition of Question of Sport. However, one report last night stated that he was the last survivor of the very first cricket one-day international in 1971 - totally implausible that the other 21 players had all died in the last 50 years!! Illingworth & Boycott (also had cancer issues) are the last 2 survivors of the Yorkshire Four - Close, Trueman, Boycott & Illingworth.  

He is not the only one left. Boycott played in that match for start. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

He is not the only one left. Boycott played in that match for start. 

I suspect there are more alive than deceased from that match as Knott & Underwood are both still alive & probably played.

From the first One Day International played on 5 January 1971 Australia v England. Survivors as of 30 November 2021 are:

England - Geoff Boycott, Keith Fletcher, Ray Illingworth, Alan Knott, John Snow, Ken Shuttleworth, Peter Lever 7/11

Australia - Bill Lawry, Keith Stackpole, Ian Chappell, Doug Walters, Ian Redpath, Greg Chappell, Rodney Marsh, Graham McKenzie, Alan Connolly, Alan Thompson 10/11

So a lot of survivors. The only Australian to pass away is Ashley Mallett who only died a few months ago. Wonder who will be the last one standing. Not Illingworth or Boycott that's for certain. 

• Like 2

obviously couldn’t face the Boxing Day test!

I’d imagine a few subs coming in to play now. I don’t think I picked him.

Party Pooper Bonus in the DDP.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Party Pooper Bonus in the DDP.

Are we sure he died today?  I haven't seen the date of death mentioned.

• Like 1

I had him at the top of my list as I did John Edrich a year ago. Cricketers have a habit of early dismissals, but that's par for the course given the current state of the England team

26 minutes ago, Exu said:

I had him at the top of my list as I did John Edrich a year ago. Cricketers have a habit of early dismissals, but that's par for the course given the current state of the England team

In fairness, it's hard to call dying at 89 "an early dismissal". I'd say it's a life well-lived as the man himself acknowledged last month. It sounded like he was ready to go. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Are we sure he died today?  I haven't seen the date of death mentioned.

Times and Telegraph obits are up already, and while they don't mention a date, as long as there is no evidence of the contrary, I'll go with the consensus. But maybe something new will come up in the next 2 days until I return.

Replaced Illingworth with British author Jack Higgins for my 2022 shadowlist. Illingworth was sure to be on the 2022 DL, so maybe Higgins or Len Deighton would be good as a replacement on there too.

• Like 1

Maybe worth adding former Yorkshire team member Geoffrey Boycott onto the List to make up for Illingworth's absence? 

11 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Maybe worth adding former Yorkshire team member Geoffrey Boycott onto the List to make up for Illingworth's absence? 

Still active and giving interviews etc. There are much stronger candidates surely?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Still active and giving interviews etc. There are much stronger candidates surely?

Very weis comment, imo. Ahem.