Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

December 1st again? Seems each year goes by faster and faster, doesn't it? Now time is flying so fast that a DDP co-host was born late enough to make SpongeBob references, but I digress...

But yes, fear not, the North Star of the deadpooling world that we call the Derby Dead Pool continues to light up this morbid little pocket of our lives and has opened its doors for its 27th edition. As we enjoy @msc 's final month of DDP obits, I will be taking over the front page role starting next year, joining @Grim Up North and @gcreptile on the committee.

THE RULES are unchanged from this year's ie the FFBI disqualifications, wider net of QOs, etc all remain instituted.

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

The spreadsheet method of entry that began last year remains in service. The 2022 spreadsheet, identical to the last one in all but filename, can be found here. It is heavily recommended to use the spreadsheet as means of entry to reduce Grim Up North's workload as much as possible.

If you are absolutely unable to work with the Excel spreadsheet, still make sure to recheck GUN's DDP entry guide thread from last year to make the formatting of your email as smooth as possible.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Usually I’m one of the first ones in but I have a lot more “whittling” down of my long list.

• Like 1

Good luck @Death Impends. You'll be great.

• Like 1

Over the course of today I'll be sending out the emails to invite entry for 2022 - the people with email addresses beginning with As should already have theirs.

Please look out for it in your spam folder too as there is nothing I can do on this side to avoid work filters thinking that my mail might be spam - I suppose it is about soon to be dead meat.

If anybody doesn't receive the email all the information in it is actually contained in Death Impends post above.

Enjoy your selection process.

Cheers, GUN

PS My entry will be finalised today and submitted before I receive all your wonderful picks (at which point normally at least one walking corpse will make themselves known to the world).

• Like 4

Sorry I'm absolutely garbage at Excel (which as we all know should be used for numbers and not words).

However, I'm absolutely garbage at the game in general, so that compensates! I had no problems with my entry this year, a testament to getting in early and also Grim's superb transposition skills,

Good luck to the Committee and thanks to msc for the last couple of years - it's been a blast.

*now I have to decide if Liza Minnelli is going on my team or not....hmm...Frank Ifield still lives...hmm* :reading-glasses:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sorry I'm absolutely garbage at Excel (which as we all know should be used for numbers and not words).

However, I'm absolutely garbage at the game in general, so that compensates! I had no problems with my entry this year, a testament to getting in early and also Grim's superb transposition skills,

Good luck to the Committee and thanks to msc for the last couple of years - it's been a blast.

*now I have to decide of Liza Minnelli is going on my team or not....hmm...Frank Ifield still lives...hmm* :reading-glasses:

Liza!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

If you actually click and open the spreadsheet you will find that it could not be easier - it is simply a question of typing names into the correct boxes - even msc manages it :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

If you actually click and open the spreadsheet you will find that it could not be easier - it is simply a question of typing names into the correct boxes - even msc manages it :P

Even!!!!! :o:D

Yeah, fair enough.

That could be an advert for Cmme replacements: "Excel so bombproof, even msc used it!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Actually tried opening it there from the link above.

Doesn't work on my computer! :lol::o:sherlock:

• Like 3

:blink:

It even works perfectly well on my phone.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Actually tried opening it there from the link above.

Doesn't work on my computer! :lol::o:sherlock:

same problem

• Like 2

Like I've said it's not a problem if some don't use the excel spreadsheet it just saves me a few minutes each entry so over 550 entries if I can get up to say 400 by email then we are smashing the time down by about 13 hours which is a day and a half of my working life :-).

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

same problem

Does it open from the email I've sent you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Like I've said it's not a problem if some don't use the excel spreadsheet it just saves me a few minutes each entry so over 550 entries if I can get up to say 400 by email then we are smashing the time down by about 13 hours which is a day and a half of my working life :-).

Does it open from the email I've sent you?

yes it does

Just let me get this clear - do we attach the spreadsheet to an e-mail and can we put all three teams on the same sheet or should we do one for each?

• Like 1

One for each will make it easiest for you and yes attached to an email.

If you have some basic excel skills you can copy the sheet and just do one sheet per team and just send one excel file with 3 team sheets but if not one file per team works perfectly.

Cheers

PS If I click on Death Impends link in the post above my work malwarebytes blocks it so I can't see where link is going or what's wrong with it. My work filters also block the DDP so perhaps the link is just to the entry page on the DDP website. I'm sure DI will be along at some point later today.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am too much of a cheapskate to pay for MS Office so I use Libre Office. 

I can save as Excel, which doesn't guarantee to preserve the formatting, but seems to work OK.   If not, I can send as .odt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, it's that time of year where I struggle to remember that name I thought of in September who'd be a great pick, probably unique, but never got round to writing down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

PS If I click on Death Impends link in the post above my work malwarebytes blocks it so I can't see where link is going or what's wrong with it. My work filters also block the DDP so perhaps the link is just to the entry page on the DDP website. I'm sure DI will be along at some point later today.  

The link is directly to the Excel file. I'll be home in about 9 hours. What I did with the file was save your old file, open it up in Excel, and save it with a 2022 filename. Not sure if there was some extra precaution to take to allow it to bypass the antivirus filters, maybe I should've changed the filename without actually opening it...

• Thanks 1

Just thought fuck it, entered mine today. All 3. A (ridiculous) theme team, my A-team looking to beat my current =26th showing, and another Punt Pool picks team.

• Thanks 1

I have just put mine in as separate tabs on one sheet

Hope it all works out

Usual three teams are in

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if I'll even bother with a theme team.  I certainly won't do two, haven't for a while now.

All emails have gone out.

Happy pontificating.

NB - I'm not resending but the email addresses A to M received a mail telling them that any pick had to be at least 18 on 1st Jan 2019 - this obviously should have been 1st Jan 2022 and has been corrected for email addresses N to Z. 

EDIT: Thanks to the absent around these hereparts Deathers for flagging up. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

should have been 1st Jan 2022 

For the first time this makes me twig that Greta Thunberg, Jude Bellingham and that youngest Oscar nominee girl from a decade ago are now eligible picks. Another sign of getting on a bit!

Incidentally, for those with suspicious minds, yours truly no longer has access to the DDP email log in, DI does instead now. I couldn't log into the bastarding thing half the time I had the log in details, but you know what I mean. Access to the actual main site remains for the rather obvious reason I've got a month of obits to go!

That said, DI got to terms with the tracker at the top of the DDP page first go. That took me months of swearing and an Idiots Guide by Spade to work out last year!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, msc said:

For the first time this makes me twig that Greta Thunberg, Jude Bellingham and that youngest Oscar nominee girl from a decade ago are now eligible picks. Another sign of getting on a bit!

I will give a shout out to the wonderful team "Next year, Greta" in this year's competition...

Thank you for the email! I did my first ever list last year. I haven't done great but I didn't expect too. Gonna give it another go! 

A quick question - I'm sure there's a good reason for it but I'm wondering why there's several qualifying Scottish publications but no Welsh or indeed Northern Irish ones? No doubt there will be qualifying deaths of Scottish personalities that will get obits in their publications but not the wider UK publications. It seems a shame for the same not to apply to the other home nations. Let me know if I'm asking in the wrong place. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Death Impends said:

The link is directly to the Excel file. I'll be home in about 9 hours. What I did with the file was save your old file, open it up in Excel, and save it with a 2022 filename. Not sure if there was some extra precaution to take to allow it to bypass the antivirus filters, maybe I should've changed the filename without actually opening it...

Now that I'm home and settled I also have trouble actually downloading it. Looking into it, the issue likely looks to be nothing to do with what I did with the file, but that the DDP website currently is not currently "https" IE the url begins with "www." rather than "https://www.". If I assume correctly, if this can be altered, the file should be smoothly downloadable after that.