Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

7 hours ago, Klinews said:

I would like to participate if there is still time can someone please send the link.

As linked to in my opening post, there is a rules section that contains links to the email address which teams are sent to, in addition to the Excel spreadsheet which it's recommended to use for assembling a team.

12 minutes ago, Prowler0000 said:

I can't see the cut-off date for entry anywhere.  I assume it's before midnight on Dec 31st tho?

Yes, the deadline is 23:59 GMT on December 31. TBH need a committee meeting to discuss the grace period Joey mentioned as I don't remember for sure how long it lasts!

40 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I've entered again after............ umpteen years away.

Couldn't bring myself to pick any racing drivers or Terry Medwin.

Perhaps not super surprising with the context of you resuming regular posting status, but great news to hear!

• Like 1

IIRC wherever the last point on Earth reaches midnight on Hogmanay is the cut off, i.e. wherever you are. So if you are in Oz the cut off time is midnight their time, San Francisco would be different.

Don't know how strictly that is enforced though! I think Joey Russ is probably right.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

IIRC wherever the last point on Earth reaches midnight on Hogmanay is the cut off, i.e. wherever you are. So if you are in Oz the cut off time is midnight their time, San Francisco would be different.

Don't know how strictly that is enforced though! I think Joey Russ is probably right.

I was going to let DI respond as she responded above however to avoid the conversation drifting on misleadingly the cut off is 23:59GMT on 31/12. After that there is a period where I consider accepting the entries but once you've missed the 31/12 deadline that is down to my discretion so if you want to be sure of getting in then get your entry in before midnight. 

• Like 2

It's an across the board midnight UK time regardless of where the participant is playing. IE my Joisey goil self is five hours behind UK time in my time zone and so my own entry deadline is 7 PM (although given co-host status TJS will be in far earlier than usual!).

Staff meeting has been held wrt the grace period and it goes until noon UK time but to be clear it's entirely at the committee discretion. To be blunt if you've submitted past the midnight deadline do NOT expect the hosts to grant leeway, especially if you play competitively as we don't want some sod taking advantage of 5 random celebs announcing hospice at 1AM UK time!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a couple of borderline names I think a few top-level players will be considering this year (an artist whose very minor fame is dwarfed by that of their musician partner, and someone who made only one TV appearance - not related to their health - but would be guaranteed a QO when passing). Can the committee give any inklings into whether those names would pass the fame check or shall I just shove them in my starting lineup and see what happens?

• Like 1

The information is too vague as is to make concrete rulings, and at this point we can't really have full committee rulings on these competitive picks with two of us still waiting to enter our team. For the former, I would generally think that it hinges on them having some sort of record of their professional art career (with coverage independent of their relationship to X), whereas the latter hinges on what the appearance was exactly (ie we've rejected the chap who appeared on one episode of a dating reality TV show this year, but I suppose if it's in a proper acting role, it might be allowable?). So yeah in case they don't pass muster make sure to have subs that are unambiguously famous enough.

On 01/12/2021 at 20:02, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

A quick question - I'm sure there's a good reason for it but I'm wondering why there's several qualifying Scottish publications but no Welsh or indeed Northern Irish ones? No doubt there will be qualifying deaths of Scottish personalities that will get obits in their publications but not the wider UK publications. It seems a shame for the same not to apply to the other home nations. Let me know if I'm asking in the wrong place. 

Was this not the right place to ask? :)

5 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Was this not the right place to ask? :)

No, I didn't see it. Uhm, mostly because there was no major Welsh or N Irish newspapers in comparison to the Scottish ones known to yours truly. The largest Welsh daily I'm aware of is Western Mail which only has a circulation of around 10, 000,  The Belfast Telegraph could have been brought up, but there was no great call (to date) for it to be involved. The Herald and Daily Record (which were reverts to previous QOs allowed before a previous host cut down the number in 2016) were on as the former is one of the "papers of record" and the latter is one of the most read dailys in the UK. 

The N Irish issue was attempted to be fixed with the return of UTV as a specific qualifying source. Then, sods law, they didn't cover the one N Irish case this was assumed they would!

As the game always likes to listen to players and be fair, I'm sure if you brought up some quality Welsh obituary sources previously unknown to the Cmme or forum, they could at a later date be considered for use? That's how several of the current QOs came into use.

Submitted my main team after submitting the themes a week or so back.

Weird feeling to have all the deadpool entries out of the way by Christmas rather than frenetically waiting until the final hours of the year!

I've submitted mine. This is the latest I've submitted it, as i had a feeling we'd have a Jessica falkholt situation but will be busy next week so this is the only time I can set aside.

• Like 1

Sent a team, first time participating so I hope I do well.

• Like 3

Is it worth adding GB News to the list of QOs? What do we think?

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I suppose they should given that they're a UK-wide media organisation.

Though I don't think it will help many ppl. They're 6 months old and their website is still a bit primitive and doesn't have many written news stories.

They're actually pretty good for raising and discussing the lives of recently deceased ppl on their broadcasting. They covered Jack Hedley the other day, and have done the same with a few other character actor types and ppl who didn't get covered on the Beeb (e.g. Clarissa Eden), but broadcast news bulletins don't count in the DDP, do they?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Can be something to consider for 2023 though like Ulitzer said not sure how much a difference it would make.

Either way I don't want to do any changes to the QOs for next year after we've already opened up shop.

• Like 2

@Death ImpendsSent in my team. I only use my iPad so I could not use the excel thing. Thanks for doing this! Happy New Year soon! 

• Like 4

Urgent question, in view of the new rules can I pick Amy Price (and get points) or not? I don't think she's done much except being a celebrity's mother, but then again Bill Gates Sr?

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Urgent question, in view of the new rules can I pick Amy Price (and get points) or not? I don't think she's done much except being a celebrity's mother, but then again Bill Gates Sr?

Bill Gates Sr. was a noted philanthropist and attorney. A quick glance of his Wikipedia tells you he was notable for reasons other than having a more famous son.

Amy Price is just the mother of some tart, and is FFBI with the same lung disease that killed Keith Chegwin. She’s not notable in her own right by any stretch of the imagination.

13 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

She was Loose Women’s plastic surgery expert for a while and appeared on it without her daughter being part of the segment. So arguably that gives her independent fame.

Plus she often appeared in her reality shows long before she was Ill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She was Loose Women’s plastic surgery expert for a while and appeared on it without her daughter being part of the segment. 

Seriously, trying to bend the anti-FFBI rules is really bad form. I was once invited on to Blue Peter to talk about a local charity effort. It didn’t make me a fucking philanthropist of note.

C7000CC6-B6BC-44C3-AF91-14D96657B7D4.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She was Loose Women’s plastic surgery expert for a while and appeared on it without her daughter being part of the segment. So arguably that gives her independent fame.

Would she have been invited on if she wasn't KP's mother though?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Would she have been invited on if she wasn't KP's mother though?

There a lots of people who have only got jobs because of famous relatives. 

• Like 1

Would Bill Gates' father have been a philanthropist without his son's fortune?

• Like 1

Perhaps Amy and Bill Sr will meet up on the other side and can compare notes. Who knows there might be an unlikely ethereal coupling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Youth in Asia said:

Would Bill Gates' father have been a philanthropist without his son's fortune?

Yes.

• Like 1