Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Do all picks have to have publicly available birth year. One of my shortlist doesn’t as they haven’t been famous for that long but they do pass the fame barrier easily.

Well, the rules say the year of birth needs to be known to determine the points. Which has basically been done in a way that as long as we know how many points to award, then it's fine. We have had lots of people with only a known age of death, meaning the year of birth can be one out of two. 

• Like 1

Just entered my 3 teams.

• Like 2

My response said DDP 2021 will this be an issue?

27 minutes ago, Sean said:

My response said DDP 2021 will this be an issue?

No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Well, the rules say the year of birth needs to be known to determine the points. Which has basically been done in a way that as long as we know how many points to award, then it's fine. We have had lots of people with only a known age of death, meaning the year of birth can be one out of two. 

I imagine this pick if they die will get an age at death in the multiple articles they would get.

On 28/12/2021 at 14:25, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I'm expecting the opposite in terms of diverse picks!! I have worked very hard to be diverse in my three Crumble Teams. 

He is referring to competitive teams. It is getting harder and harder to find uniques who are under a certain age, likely to die, and will get a qualifying obituary. It could be worth it even if the pick is old, but there is a risk that a nonagenarian unique hopeful is chosen by another team as well. Suddenly, you go from 9 points to a mere 5. I highlighted in green the kind of uniques that most title conteders dream of in an updated version of a venn diagram I did a few years ago. You want to find someone who is notable enough to score, yet not so famous that everyone else will immediately notice that they are really ill. So, on the right side of the "sick-famous" border.

bBrHKY5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

On 21/12/2021 at 06:27, Spade_Cooley said:

There's a couple of borderline names I think a few top-level players will be considering this year (an artist whose very minor fame is dwarfed by that of their musician partner, and someone who made only one TV appearance - not related to their health - but would be guaranteed a QO when passing). Can the committee give any inklings into whether those names would pass the fame check or shall I just shove them in my starting lineup and see what happens?

Considering I don't think these people will be uniques nor drop 40, if they've been picked and accepted/unaccepted, could this information be passed on? Understandably a tricky situation.

Right, I have 3 teams entered this year, my usual team of hangers-on in times-up, more Rons not to do one plus a team of random selections which started as my research for my HPDP entry but I got carried away.

• Like 2

I submitted three teams:  1 is doomed to end with Nil points:  "Poets Passing"   all poets but so many Americans who will not get a Brit Obit

No. 2 is Bangers and Mash.  It's secret theme is people who are unlikely to be virgins.

No. 3 is Diet of Worms, a little dip into fantasy land and some very aged venison and pheasant.  I used that Team name years ago and hope that nobody else has taken it up....

Seriously, I created these teams to amuse myself and not to win and I wonder if that creates too much work for the DDP Team?  I would like to know if these types of teams feel like frivolous lawsuits to you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doulton said:

I submitted three teams:  1 is doomed to end with Nil points:  "Poets Passing"   all poets but so many Americans who will not get a Brit Obit

No. 2 is Bangers and Mash.  It's secret theme is people who are unlikely to be virgins.

No. 3 is Diet of Worms, a little dip into fantasy land and some very aged venison and pheasant.  I used that Team name years ago and hope that nobody else has taken it up....

Seriously, I created these teams to amuse myself and not to win and I wonder if that creates too much work for the DDP Team?  I would like to know if these types of teams feel like frivolous lawsuits to you?

All my entries into every pool I've entered since I started deadpooling years ago are just to amuse myself - isn't that the point? If I get close enough to a win so I get excited (even a little bit) that's a bonus.

P.S. Your secret theme is no longer a secret.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many of the teams designed to amuse the creators are often more interesting than the "competitive" ones. I often cite the Crumbles and Hits of 36 Years Ago as examples, because my memory is shite, but yeah, not wasteful at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, time said:

All my entries into every pool I've entered since I started deadpooling years ago are just to amuse myself - isn't that the point? If I get close enough to a win so I get excited (even a little bit) that's a bonus.

P.S. Your secret theme is no longer a secret.

You are more similar to me than you may realise!

Entry submitted because something has come up and I am not sure if will be able to submit on NYE like I planned to. 

I have submitted my teams, best of luck to you all, and me!

• Like 4

Entry update

244 teams in and loaded up with @John Key's entry received but I can't open file (email sent).

Unfortunately I'm way behind on celeb and spelling checking with 407 currently unidentified/new records and only 158 new records already verified. In past year's that ratio wold have been other way round. Work to do.....:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Doulton said:

I enter partly to amuse myself and to see how many names I can collect for a particular category and partly out of superstition.  I have entered 3 theme teams this year, 2 are ones I am bringing back and one is a new one.

I may submit a theme team if things work out. I've only got 19 people that match a certain criteria. There's a chance that someone else (or even more than one) could join the list in the next day or two, but it's more likely not to happen until January, if at all.

6 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Entry update

244 teams in and loaded up with @John Key's entry received but I can't open file (email sent).

Unfortunately I'm way behind on celeb and spelling checking with 407 currently unidentified/new records and only 158 new records already verified. In past year's that ratio wold have been other way round. Work to do.....:D

Oh, thanks for the @! That would probably be because I did it as a sheet file instead of an excel file (a common problem I forget about with apple versus microsoft)
I'll fix it now

Teams entered - 

Kevorkian Clinic  - Main Team

Shot in the Dark - Random list of first 20 celebs that came into mind.

The Alternative Deathlist - the top 20 names from the list compiled by me and Dr Zorders at my forum as an alternative to the Deathlist, mentioned elsewhere on the site. 

This does however mean the sad hiatus/retirement (TBD next year) of the long standing Cobbles to a Coffin theme team and means I have no formal theme teams entered this year. 

Happy New Year folks. 

On 28/12/2021 at 22:00, time said:

Right, I have 3 teams entered this year, my usual team of hangers-on in times-up, more Rons not to do one plus a team of random selections which started as my research for my HPDP entry but I got carried away.

If Ron Jones was on your team, you'll need to sub in a sub, just in case @Grim Up North needs a nudge that he's dead.

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

If Ron Jones was on your team, you'll need to sub in a sub, just in case @Grim Up North needs a nudge that he's dead.

The entry sheets are scattered with corpses - including jokers but it’s every man for himself at this stage - everyone needs to check they’ve got subs and that their jokers haven’t died. 

The volume at this stage is crazy. :D

• Haha 1

Surely you guys would give yourself less last minute work if you shortened the window period of entries from Dec 1–Dec 31 to Dec 15–Dec 31?

Half a month is long enough for every one to get their teams in.

All we need now is Frank Field flying to Dignitas.

Come on teams, let's hang on, to what we've got....

• Like 1