Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

I think the game will be up next weekend. While we might possibly be finished with assembling the new celebrity info before that, I need a day off work to get it done (excel / access stuff).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want a hand with pics again, let me know.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of some low hanging fruit I keep handy in case it's needed for Deathrace purposes, might serve you with regard to some of the more obscure right to die selections :rolleyes:

low-hanging-fruit-picture-id1195139374?k

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Would you exclude very tall or fat people? What about mentally ill serial killers? 

Murderers are fine.  "Mental illness" in such cases is arguable.

The others - I think those sort of picks are in very poor taste.  So unless they have some claim to fame unrelated to their physical condition, I would exclude them.

I feel like the FFBI ban as is doesn’t need to change. I feel like if you get rid of your Vicky Phelan’s or Kate Granger’s it could lead into a bit of a slippery slope. We got rid of the last days/marrying their bride cause of terminal illness type tabloid fodder which is very much in bad taste. I feel if we start targeting those who actually achieved some National fame (even if it’s related to illness) it would open the door for even harsher fame bans

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Would you exclude very tall or fat people? What about mentally ill serial killers? 

msc, when making his case to me for the fame level of one of his picks, the artist Antonio Russo, went along the lines of "although his most recent media coverage was of the dying dad sort, I will note that he has received international awards for his art and has worked with Kanye West, so I've taken a gamble that he should be okay."

I then told him "anyone who works with Kanye is famous for being ill in the head... but seriously, yeah he's fine as a pick." :lol:

• Haha 3

In Ireland Vicky Phelan will get the level of coverage that only a few deaths a year get. I did select her for my team but I wasn’t entirely sure if she was still going to count this year. Surprisingly she doesn’t have her own wiki page.

I honestly can’t remember Kate Granger at all and must have missed her story - I do remember Jane Tomlinson well. 

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

In Ireland Vicky Phelan will get the level of coverage that only a few deaths a year get. I did select her for my team but I wasn’t entirely sure if she was still going to count this year. Surprisingly she doesn’t have her own wiki page.

I honestly can’t remember Kate Granger at all and must have missed her story - I do remember Jane Tomlinson well. 

I can see the argument for Phelan as, while she's only really famous for being ill, she's done a lot to build on that.  I don't think the same argument can even be remotely made for Sepulveda. 

And to Joey's point " the FFBI ban as is doesn’t need to change": I agree but a hit like this seems a neutering of the rule.

Did anyone pick Mike Mora by the way?

• Like 1

The committee is still discussing the potential FFBI cases, and making official rulings. It is somewhat of a secondary priority in our plans at this very moment, given we still have dozens of new picks overall to enter data for. As far as the potential FFBIs go, there's around.... 10 picks, being currently debated, most verdicts probably wait a few more days. Mora has been already shot down (he was picked by multiple teams among those posted in thread alone, btw), Sepulveda's case, well, we definitely will have to discuss it more. There are strong arguments on both sides (the case itself clearly is a legitimate news story, but it is also true that she herself hasn't really been an activist - I currently cannot tell, did she herself specifically pave the way for this change in Colombia's euthanasia law via court case, or was she rather an early beneficiary of a change that was done due to a case she herself wasn't part of?) that the committee is taking note of.

• Like 3

I hope the fact that she has died does not factor in your decision. I did not have her on my teams but do think she should count.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I can see the argument for Phelan as, while she's only really famous for being ill, she's done a lot to build on that.  I don't think the same argument can even be remotely made for Sepulveda. 

And to Joey's point " the FFBI ban as is doesn’t need to change": I agree but a hit like this seems a neutering of the rule.

Did anyone pick Mike Mora by the way?

Aye, the great British tabloid press have covered Phelan, she has a profile and level of celebrity that's likely to get her covered way beyond Ireland, as and when.

10 hours ago, Death Impends said:

msc, when making his case to me for the fame level of one of his picks, the artist Antonio Russo, went along the lines of "although his most recent media coverage was of the dying dad sort, I will note that he has received international awards for his art and has worked with Kanye West, so I've taken a gamble that he should be okay."

I then told him "anyone who works with Kanye is famous for being ill in the head... but seriously, yeah he's fine as a pick." :lol:

:D

And I genuinely nearly choked on my lunch at the time.

9 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Granger was a young doctor who was diagnosed with one of the rare but incurable sarcomas in her late 20s and, concerned by the quality of end of life care in the NHS, went about campaigning to get it changed to be more patient friendly, to the point of her campaign being linked to government policy (iirc the Hello My Name Is stuff is still linked to the NHS/Health dept online). She died in 2016 after lasting considerably longer than anyone expected, aged only 34, and now has buildings named after her, the annual Kate Granger Award for compassionate care beyond the call of duty in the NHS and her campaign was cited down the early stages of the pandemic, as the NHS was being overcome by the number of fatal covid cases. 

She was quite big in the news around 2014-16 and in fact it was my mum who broke the news of her death to me!

• Like 1

So all teams are in and coded up but Reptile and DI are still wading through the bios for the 833 new celebrities picked this year (850 in 2021, 791 2020). I quote the previous two years because my impression was that the extra unique point had led to an explosion of new picks but actually that’s not the case.

As well as picking out a few of my obvious oversights this process also includes picking out the FFBIs and deciding which are to be disallowed and then further wok needs done finalising those teams affected with hopefully some valid subs.

Anyway we’re getting closer but still a little way off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

My favourite happening from this year’s submission process was someone who may or may not be a forum member submitting their monthly household budget in the attached excel sheet rather than their DDP team.

Very detailed and multi coloured it was too!

• Haha 13

Any hints about the Drop 40?

43 minutes ago, Sean said:

Got a feeling that Jimmy Carter and Leslie Phillips might sneak on. Not sure why…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

So all teams are in and coded up but Reptile and DI are still wading through the bios for the 833 new celebrities picked this year (850 in 2021, 791 2020). I quote the previous two years because my impression was that the extra unique point had led to an explosion of new picks but actually that’s not the case.

As well as picking out a few of my obvious oversights this process also includes picking out the FFBIs and deciding which are to be disallowed and then further wok needs done finalising those teams affected with hopefully some valid subs.

Anyway we’re getting closer but still a little way off.

Can't wait to find out how many of my picks are  unique!

I'm surprised the number of new picks has modestly declined. 

I for one have certainly tried to maximum the unique pick incentive for all its worth!:D

On 10/01/2022 at 14:47, gcreptile said:

Ah well, that's an awfully flimsy QO for an awfully flimsy case. I guess we will discuss it in the committee, but if A, then B, so it might just have to count.

Just for the record a more solid obit from Daily Mail for Sepulveda.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sean said:

I was able to assemble a rudimentary D40, from data one of our Excel files. This is before we sub in names for FFBI verdicts, so it's likely slight rearrangements will happen, maybe even someone else sneaks in. I will say I didn't anticipate who the new #1 would be, even if it makes sense in hindsight!

• Like 1

Just now, Death Impends said:

I was able to assemble a rudimentary D40, from data one of our Excel files. This is before we sub in names for FFBI verdicts, so it's likely slight rearrangements will happen, maybe even someone else sneaks in. I will say I didn't anticipate who the new #1 would be, even if it makes sense in hindsight!

Yeah, glad to see that Rick Davies is finally taking his rightful place on top of the drop 40. :D 

17 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Just for the record a more solid obit from Daily Mail for Sepulveda.

Call me a cynical auld bastard, but IMHO being a ( and I quote) "Colombian mother, 51, with ALS" isn't exactly a claim to fame.

• Like 7

How much coverage did it get in Columbia. Did she become a household name with articles leading with her name rather than just the reason she died.

Let the committee do their job!  No whining at the tough decisions that they have to make. Let's

not make this a bitch fest!!

• Like 3