Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Yeah, it's a work in progress. But I think you all want to get the first good look at this.

You can post any remarks here, I will work on them bit by bit.

The teams info needs a lot of updating, I am very aware. You know, the highest rank, and years in DDP statistic. This hasn't really been updated in a while. And it is my aim to have a separate excel database for this. It needs - probably - a mostly complete overview of how all teams did in all years. The Man In Black used to have such a thing, I have heard, but it got lost. And since then, with every passing year, the info got a little more outdated. I am hoping to do something about this. Have a little patience.

• Like 3

Just noticed last year Day In The Death picks Maria Farmer and Jeffrey Foskett ended up being entirely unpicked this year, so that’s their fate sealed

The team named "The One Where Everyone Dies" looks like it's a theme team dedicated to the TV show Friends.

59 minutes ago, msc said:

It's the same Tony Brown me and Joey have. Either we all are interested in 80 year old cricketers after Ray Illingworth, or you know... :D

I think poor Tony Brown the cricketer is going to be rather friendless when the finer details of the teams gets sorted. A bit like John Prescott, the Tom Jones impersonator, who I see has made it onto a Theme Team of politicians again. Nice to see that even with committee changes, some traditions never die :D

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh Are you Pan Breed?

I am surprised that Christina Crawford is still a unique pick and after somebody  mentioning George Carey on here in a suggestion thread I didn't think it was good odds he would be unique. 

But that is balanced by Chris Sarandon and Maggie Dence not being unique when I reckoned at least one of them would be!

I was beginning to think I wouldn't surpass 38  this year or only  just but to surpass  by 6 is an excellent surprise!

Yes, 11 years in a row now.

The oldies/de facto B-team is Here's Who You Could Have Won, and there's also The Gallifrey Regeneration Game (back after a 6 year absence). This has got Edward de Souza, Janet Henfrey, cult horror star Candace Hilligoss and Bond ally Lon Satton on the DDP at least.

Oh btw for @Ulitzer95 - the pick I was reminded of by him before Christmas and went to check an official website to see if they were still alive. Lord Morgan, historian and Michael Foot's biographer. He showed up in the Lords to speak about 2 years and was so frail he looked like he'd die on the spot. So thanks for reminding me he existed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just noticing that Robert Durst wasn't Drop 40.  Quite shocked, actually, and also very disappointed as the assumption of the extra 3 points was what made him worth picking.

7 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Just noticing that Robert Durst wasn't Drop 40.  Quite shocked, actually, and also very disappointed as the assumption of the extra 3 points was what made him worth picking.

Same although I was convinced he was screwed and was proved right.Plus it hasn`t affected my standing so far.

We're officially up. The sidebars are updated, 2021 in the archives, and a little introductory post by me ahead of the actual obits. Plenty of work to go - but we're open.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 10

Wonderful work, DI, Reptile, Grim. Incredible effort to keep the site running smoothly.

Genuine end of an era stuff to see Mr C bow out after 21+ years. 

The Man in Black back in play! :o That makes it 7 current or former DDP hosts playing this year, which must surely be a record! 

Also with Spade, the Deathlist, Skunk, JoeRam, Reptile, DI, Dr T, OoO, Salmon Mousse and DDT playing, we have 10 former DDP champions in the 2022 game, shattering the previous record of 7 in one year. Which I think is cool. 

• Like 5

Great to see the website up and running and congratulations on all the work. 

Regarding my three teams all is correct bar my main team name. It’s still called Expiry Date 2021 rather than Expiry Date 2022. 

Also I can provide further information regarding my pick Trevor A Toussaint if you want.

I am surprised Elaine Lordan is a unique in my Eastenders theme team. 

MUCH respect to get this operational so soon given the tonnage of work. 

Surprised that Clare Marx is so little fancied and reassured that she's OoO's joker (he tends to be astute), also a little surprised to have the head of ISIS as a unique. 

Onwards and, maybe, upwards, then

• Like 1

Thanks to the committee for all their hard work. It's truly impressive to be able to get the site up in a later time than it took a single host with 3 of you (the former hosts are too polite to point this out so I'll help them). :rolleyes:

I hope the admins don't mind me swinging by to mention this where it will be seen.

I appear to have been given distinguished pseohologist David Butler rather than cancer ridden playwright David Butler

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/12/05/amid-cancer-battle-minister-and-playwright-confronts-mortality-on-and-off-stage/#:~:text=Diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal,Horse Theatre in South Portland.&text=During his time as a,death%2C others an uncertain future.

Re Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic (which shouldn't have Deathrays in it anymore) 

1 minute ago, SameOldStory said:

I hope the admins don't mind me swinging by to mention this where it will be seen.

I appear to have been given distinguished pseohologist David Butler rather than cancer ridden playwright David Butler

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/12/05/amid-cancer-battle-minister-and-playwright-confronts-mortality-on-and-off-stage/#:~:text=Diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal,Horse Theatre in South Portland.&text=During his time as a,death%2C others an uncertain future.

Acknowledged. I know that one from my own searches. We might have to discuss this name in the committee.

• Thanks 1

Alright, three more obits for now with Charles McGee, Gary Waldhorn and Bob Falkenburg.

Everett Lee is waiting for an obit.

I have already cleaned up a bit, and especially hope that the John Prescott thing is gone.

Thank you Grim Up North, for collecting the teams in these past weeks, for the ton of dialogue with the players, and the work in sorting out the picks and teams. A huge effort, well done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Acknowledged. I know that one from my own searches. We might have to discuss this name in the committee.

To be fair I've fucked this up on my end anyway because there's a considerably younger but perfectly health playwright/author of the same name who happens to be considerably more famous.

I obviously meant the guy with cancer but didn't realise there was two of them. I thought the 58 year old Irishman playwright/author was the one of with cancer who would surely easily pass the fame threshold but turns out the 70 year old American playwright/faith bloke who even by my selfish viewpoint is clearly a borderliner is the one with cancer.

Not sure what on earth you do with that one but something to add to the committee discussion. :facepalm:

But I definitely did not mean the psephologist as the playwright description on my team sheet to GUN will show 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Butler_(author)

• Like 1

Absolutely terrific work!  Well done and thank you.

I also have a team name quibble in that my second team should be "No One Here Gets Out Alive" rather than "Nobody Here Gets Out Alive".  (Doors lyric as I'm sure everyone recognises.)

Still happy to help with image sourcing.  I doubt there will be anything to match the entertainment value of Jacques Tits, but you never know. :D

• Like 2

Thanks Toast! 

Indeed, if any of you want to participate in the searches for images for our new picks,  reach out to me.

I will open up a a small forum next weekend.

The work requires you to search for photos of our new picks on the internet, to cut them down to size, rename them and send them to the DDP address.

It's less work than last year, as we had two years to do then. And it's almost like we are getting to the bottom of that well, but we'll see!

Well done, GC, DI & GUN. :D

Ten Drop 40 names and five uniques is pretty much the balance that I was going for. What surprised me the most is that Bouquet is a unique. Not even Vive la France has him, so that's 9 fairly easy points for a distinguished actor in poor health. Shocking. :blink:

Unrelated to my own team, I was under the impression that Natalie Kwadrans was a "regular" snowboarder rather than a paralympic one.

Great work to all involved to get this up and running so quickly. 

As he’s not on the forum, my Bro’s ‘Great gig in the sky’ is a Theme team ( Music based). 

I'll agree, my teams look ok, despite several dying pre-start, so well sorted out, and my odd choices (Millar; Davis) look grand. Bonus of getting in early I guess.

No doubt there will be the usual teething issues, maybe the odd doubler, but I may not have the time to look out for these myself.

I've a feeling the Committee will have a very very busy year. Good luck!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Death Impends said:

The DQ verdicts were all made, as hinted by Reptile in the DBN thread. As we're in the home stretch, and in interests of transparency, here's the poor nonentities you all tried to sneak past us this year:

WTF are DQ and DSB FFS !!

Has naecunt lernt tae speak English here?

:-)

• Like 1

Just now, drunkasaskunk said:

WTF are DQ and DSB FFS !!

DQ = disqualified.

DBN = Death By Numbers. An onforum deadpool.

• Thanks 1

Site looks excellent.  My team, however, looks awful.  Close to mathematically eliminated already.

8 hours ago, SameOldStory said:

We do actually.  The Derby Deadpool has an email address which you can use. 

You remain banned, permanently.   Your posts on other threads have been deleted.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1