Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

29 minutes ago, Toast said:

Thanks for fixing that.  But there is now a team history attached which isn't mine, as this is a new entry.  Possibly someone used that team name before?

Ah I see, there was a team named "Nobody here gets out alive". Last in the game in 2014. I guess we assumed that the team returned.

I will change it, not today, though!

I have worked in the first round of corrections now, including an additional team. Julian Fiano and David Butler, the very local playwright (actually a doctor), are disqualified, too. Julian Fiano is a DQ from last year actually. That said, he will not survive the year.

Francis Jackson is now on a third team, ie. a lucky sub. Michael Fish is now the designer for one team (Let's see if more switches are needed..), and so on...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Now that the pre-opening rush of deaths are all obited, I should be in a pretty good grove for the front page. Probably put out new obits, beginning with Charles McGee, every weekend or two.

Ahh, I just had to have my Diana Rigg moment weeks into co-hosting... Anyone who I can write 900+ words for in the DDP is worth an icon change, even if Alex Trebek will always top my personal totem pole. Rest well, Ronnie. :(

• Like 4

I didn't even realise Jana Bennett had died until I just checked DDP. How is it possible she doesn't have an obit from the BBC, where she worked for ages, or from any of the major papers. Did she end up as persona non grata in the industry for some reason?

• Like 2

Just now, Youth in Asia said:

I didn't even realise Jana Bennett had died until I just checked DDP. How is it possible she doesn't have an obit from the BBC, where she worked for ages, or from any of the major papers. Did she end up as persona non grata in the industry for some reason?

I have no idea. As it stands though she would be LOTL if she had died in 2020! 

On 19/01/2022 at 06:04, Sean said:

I just stopped picking centenarians altogether.Just not worth enough points.Even the Drop 40 ones which there are none this year and last year.

Agreed there too much of a risk for them to croak before the start of the dead pool I have a couple of nonagenarians (Shatner , Attenborough , The Queen) but mainly 80ish year Olds 

39 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

BBC News have cut back on obituaries recently and she was not in any way famous . I am surprised she even got an yahoo Obit. She will likely get a broadsheet obituary in time Prehaps.

On 18/01/2022 at 20:04, Sean said:

I just stopped picking centenarians altogether.Just not worth enough points.Even the Drop 40 ones which there are none this year and last year.

Norman Lloyd almost made it which would have been 7 free points basically. But yeah, it's very unreliable with the centenarians right now.

Maybe last year was also the end of a chapter, with Lloyd and Beverly Cleary gone, the last really famous centenarians of, well, the DDP since 2000.

We have to "grow" the next generation of centenarians, Prince Philip and Betty White didn't make it, but Kissinger likely makes it. Maybe Bob Barker, too, though I don't think so, personally. Norman Lear needs to gain some more traction, maybe even should.

• Like 2

Marsha Hunt is the most popular centenarian now. She won't be a D40 pick even if she reaches Lloyd age but didnt expect her to be on 18 teams!

I guess potential future centenarians, Eva Marie Saint and Glynis Johns could have D40 potential if they make 100, both are on around 20 teams right now. Larry Storch leapt to 15 picks, but like Lear strikes me as too Americentric to really challenge the D40.

• Like 5

On 18/01/2022 at 12:37, maryportfuncity said:

No worries, of course, maybe Duffy (actor) is taking this year off being a dead pool candidate and he'll emerge again next year - we'll all say we thought he was dead, but in the end we'll realise we all just dreamed it but "it seemed so real!"

932d92d248d58e94c7806e8dcdf3cda2.jpg

He was just live on the One Show. He looks well but aged. He is in the Uk on a theatre tour.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Marsha Hunt is the most popular centenarian now. She won't be a D40 pick even if she reaches Lloyd age but didnt expect her to be on 18 teams!

I guess potential future centenarians, Eva Marie Saint and Glynis Johns could have D40 potential if they make 100, both are on around 20 teams right now. Larry Storch leapt to 15 picks, but like Lear strikes me as too Americentric to really challenge the D40.

Queen Elizabeth ll will also be a popular  future centenarian pick in 2026. If she lives that long probably the most popular centenarian DDP pick ever!!

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Queen Elizabeth ll will also be a popular  future centenarian pick in 2026. If she lives that long probably the most popular centenarian DDP pick ever!!

She has her mother to beat there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

She has her mother to beat there.

Indeed!

While you are here and we are on matters royal  -Are you one of the handful of teams that picked Princess Alexandra this year on the Derby Dead Pool? I don't think I have seen her appear on there before. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Indeed!

While you are here and we are on matters royal  -Are you one of the handful of teams that picked Princess Alexandra this year on the Derby Dead Pool? I don't think I have seen her appear on there before. 

No, she looks pretty spry in recent photos.  I do have her elder brother in one team though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Norman Lloyd almost made it which would have been 7 free points basically. But yeah, it's very unreliable with the centenarians right now.

Maybe last year was also the end of a chapter, with Lloyd and Beverly Cleary gone, the last really famous centenarians of, well, the DDP since 2000.

We have to "grow" the next generation of centenarians, Prince Philip and Betty White didn't make it, but Kissinger likely makes it. Maybe Bob Barker, too, though I don't think so, personally. Norman Lear needs to gain some more traction, maybe even should.

Good news Ray Anthony the last surviving member of The Glenn Miller Orchestra turned 100 yesterday! (I didn't pick him just to be safe as I didn't think he would make it this far) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

BBC News have cut back on obituaries recently and she was not in any way famous . I am surprised she even got an yahoo Obit. She will likely get a broadsheet obituary in time Prehaps.

Funny to think that Gary Burgess ranks higher than Jana Bennett in the pantheon of British media figures.

22 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Now that the pre-opening rush of deaths are all obited, I should be in a pretty good grove for the front page. Probably put out new obits, beginning with Charles McGee, every weekend or two.

Ahh, I just had to have my Diana Rigg moment weeks into co-hosting... Anyone who I can write 900+ words for in the DDP is worth an icon change, even if Alex Trebek will always top my personal totem pole. Rest well, Ronnie. :(

Clearly the fates decided the balance needed restored and have bumped off a child killer from the DDP now.

Fastest I've ever reached 3/20 in 11 years of playing.

• Like 2

I've been updating like crazy, 3 times within 24 hours or so.

4 DDP deaths on January 20th (for now). 27 deaths in 20 days is a record rate, though the all-time monthly record of 36 deaths is still a bit away. But January still has 11 days, and there's Frank Field, Susie Steiner, Vicky Phelan, also Isabel Torres, and some more who might just be on a clock.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, msc said:

Clearly the fates decided the balance needed restored and have bumped off a child killer from the DDP now.

Fastest I've ever reached 3/20 in 11 years of playing.

It's like when Sutcliffe balanced out Trebek. The Reaper seemingly goes "oh that DI is sad enough over someone to change her avatar, better give a cheerup..."

28 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

It's like when Sutcliffe balanced out Trebek. The Reaper seemingly goes "oh that DI is sad enough over someone to change her avatar, better give a cheerup..."

And no, I'm not going to Iain-ishly turn into all "Bob Goalby was my favorite golfer! I must change my avatar to acknowledge a true legend! :( :( :( Oh shit, my favorite Brazilian samba singer just die-" just in a vain attempt to kill off Kissinger...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Russell Bishop is my joker and has gone to Hell - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-60084377 was

He's two of my jokers (main team and  the Kiddyfiddler Harriers theme team), oh aye and he's #1 on my HPDP line up. 

Cheers Russell :unsure: