Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Believe it or not, but organisations like ISIS and the Taliban do maintain a good thread of communication with the western media, to an extent. They have to.

I've been at the Telegraph before when one of my journo friends received a phone call from a Boko Haram spokesperson. Very strange experience.

You should be okay for points. ISIS were very quick to confirm the death of al-Baghdadi in 2019. They had replaced him within a week as well. Quick replacement makes it look like the death is not as meaningful to them as the West would like to believe. It's a show of strength and resilience.

Aye, you'd think with that attitude and their inside track on future operations a few of their top lads would be dead poolers!

We are now on day 40 of 2022 and 40 deaths   I felt more comfortable in terms of breaking the record when there was a bit more slack in the system and the number of deaths was ahead of the number of days in the year. The bigger the margin the better if there is a lull eg in the summer.

So we could do with the tally going up a bit more over the next few days and weeks- hopefully this is were some unique hits will prove their worth and weight in gold!

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

We are now on day 40 of 2022 and 40 deaths   I felt more comfortable in terms of breaking the record when there was a bit more slack in the system and the number of deaths was ahead of the number of days in the year. The bigger the margin the better if there is a lull eg in the summer.

So we could do with the tally going up a bit more over the next few days and weeks- hopefully this is were some unique hits will prove their worth and weight in gold!

Yes, but remember you are always in line for a record until the days/death ratio gets to minus 87...

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, but remember you are always in line for a record until the days/death ratio gets to minus 87...

Oh ??! :D

A little surprised we're halfway through the week and I only have two obits on the "to do". With caveats - I think ISIS will confirm their guy's death, and soonish, just a matter of exactly when. Hellstrom's continued lack of obit is disappointing.

I still need to add Doug Trumbull, but yeah the 1/1 ratio only broke in April last year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh ??! :D

278 is the record, there's 365 days in the year...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

278 is the record, there's 365 days in the year...

So as a deadpooling veteran  would you say it was possible or rather likely  that with a lull or drought of virtually  no or very few DDP  deaths for say 2 or 3 months- that the record could still be matching or broken?

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

So as a deadpooling veteran  would you say it was possible or rather likely  that with a lull or drought of virtually  no or very few DDP  deaths for say 2 or 3 months- that the record could still be matching or broken?

Having witnessed years like 2020 where there was nearly 12 hits in one weekend, and 2010 where there was famously no new posts on this forum in nearly a week because things were so dead, I safely say - haven't a clue, there's no patterns, this stuff is utterly random! 

• Thanks 1

Speaking of records, any idea when the Stats Zone page will be updated for 2021?

15 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Speaking of records, any idea when the Stats Zone page will be updated for 2021?

I can get started this weekend now that you mention it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not sure how reliable the report is but Abune Antonios is reported dead here: https://erena.org/patriarch-of-the-eritrean-orthodox-church-abune-anotnios-passes-away/

If established, he is going to be a hit. A non-QO hit, but a hit nevertheless. :lol:

Prove me wrong. 

BBC mentions Abune Antonios' death. Does this count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, drol said:

We've accepted BBC live blogs before I'm pretty sure. Like for Jugnauth or whatever his name was from last year iirc? So I'd say yes.

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Unbelievable, it's almost like some folk on here are journalists and media folk feeding their point scoring deaths around...:P

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Unbelievable, it's almost like some folk on here are journalists and media folk feeding their point scoring deaths around...:P

Yet they can't be arsed to mention thrice World Cup star Ronnie Hellstrom, for shame. For shame, I tell you!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Yet they can't be arsed to mention thrice World Cup star Ronnie Hellstrom, for shame. For shame, I tell you!

You know he'll get a BBC SPOTY obit year's end.

Arty pancake guy....I thouight the red tops liked something Lacey on page 3. (I may be out of touch here, is that still a thing?)

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Or in other cases, some of us throw journalists leads to edge a subject closer to a QO ;)

In this scenario though, I think it's just a case of the individual being interesting enough for a mention on BBC News' Africa section. It's rare that governments depose church heads, even under dictatorships. Abune Antonios was deposed in 2006 and had been under house arrest ever since. The BBC covered him again in 2019 when he was expelled from the Church for heresy. All that makes for vaguely interesting reading, so not surprised they subsequently covered his death.

A clever pick for whoever has the Alternative Observations 2022 team on the DDP. Quite a decent team of 20 they have actually. Not a winning team, but they could definitely find themselves near the top of the scoreboard.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

A clever pick for whoever has the Alternative Observations 2022 team on the DDP. Quite a decent team of 20 they have actually. Not a winning team, but they could definitely find themselves near the top of the scoreboard.

Isn't it Clorox?

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Isn't it Clorox?

No. Clorox retired from dead pooling this year 

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

You know he'll get a BBC SPOTY obit year's end.

Arty pancake guy....I thouight the red tops liked something Lacey on page 3. (I may be out of touch here, is that still a thing?)

I doubt Hellstrom will get a SPOTY obit. They cover the British players in great detail but there were a whole host of notable foreign players who weren't in the 2021 list.

That's why I didn't go for Hellstrom myself.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I doubt Hellstrom will get a SPOTY obit. They cover the British players in great detail but there were a whole host of notable foreign players who weren't in the 2021 list.

That's why I didn't go for Hellstrom myself.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Also it’s not entirely certain SPOTY is happening in 2022. There was a rumour a while back that due to the World Cup it might be held in January 2023 instead. Obviously if that did happen the tribute list might be printed before the ceremony but it might not. 

• Thanks 1

Plenty of time yet for Hellstrom. Times/Guardian/Telegraph are still clearing a backlog of obits from the end of 2021 for acting, music and sporting personalities it would seem.

Whilst I'm on that subject though... I owe @The Old Crem a rare apology. I laughed at their suggestion that Kare Willoch, Prime Minister of Norway (81–86), wouldn't receive a QO. He died back on 6 December and more than 2 months on, no obit in sight.

Like many Scandinavian leaders, just too boring.

• Like 1

Lars Hogh immediately got the Sun Uk obit. But nothing else. The year-end roundup is more for the local UK news, premier league players of the 50s and 60s, not for the international ones. Still, I guess it's not a 0% for a Hellström QO yet.

• Like 1