Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

5 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

If anybody could magically pluck a QO for obscure pancake motherfucker Dan Lacey it’d be much appreciated. 

Only if they post one for World Cup legend Ronnie Hellstrom first, thanks.

At this rate, 2022 is going to be a competition between msc and I as to who can bring up Ronnie more! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

At this rate, 2022 is going to be a competition between msc and I as to who can bring up Ronnie more! :biggrin:

I've learned from forum heavyweight Willz, who moaned repeatedly about the lack of an obit for Philip Latham on this site until the Times obit folk gave up and posted one. :D

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, msc said:

I've learned from forum heavyweight Willz, who moaned repeatedly about the lack of an obit for Philip Latham on this site until the Telegraph Times obit folk gave up and posted one. :D

FTFY :lol:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Perhaps said:

If anybody could magically pluck a QO for obscure pancake motherfucker Dan Lacey it’d be much appreciated. 

It's Shrove Tuesday.

Maybe an ideal time to drop a line to the papers re Dan Lacey's demise.

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2022 at 11:42, gcreptile said:

Still at work, but I think we'll end up a little short. I expect 2-3 more obits (the UK tenor should be a Times / Telegraph obit eventually, plus ISIS guy). So we'll end up with 24-25 obits, maybe 26 because today isn't over. Now, I don't know the Februay record, but would assume we'd need the one hit per month rate at least.

Shirley Hughes brings us to 25. Veasey QO and ISIS confirmation would bring us to 27. So February will probably be juuust short of "a hit a day" when all is said and done?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Shirley Hughes brings us to 25. Veasey QO and ISIS confirmation would bring us to 27. So February will probably be juuust short of "a hit a day" when all is said and done?

Indeed a big finish. Maybe a 28th hit will come from somewhere. Last year was also 28 hits, and 2020, too (with 29 days). I didn't check all the years, but that seems like the record area.

• Like 1

On my way to a country of the former Soviet Union. No updates for a few days.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Johnny Brown, who played Nathan Bookman in 58 episodes of Good Times as part of a Hollywood career that pushed 50 years, has died. He was 84.

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/4827454/johnny-brown-death-obituary-good-times-actor-bookman/

Many QOs for Johnny Brown, here is an example: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-johnny-brown-dead-comedian-26392246

• Like 2

screenshot-2022-03-10-at-19-22.png.9ee4a30a54f6a2012e85b50fa060b581.png

New ISIS leader looks like an extra from a Guy Ritchie movie.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

screenshot-2022-03-10-at-19-22.png.9ee4a30a54f6a2012e85b50fa060b581.png

New ISIS leader looks like an extra from a Guy Ritchie movie.

That's the old leader, who was killed some weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, drol said:

That's the old leader, who was killed some weeks ago.

So I see.

Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurashi has been replaced with Abu Hasan al-Hashimi al-Qurashi.

They seem to lack any form of originality with their names.

• Haha 2

On 06/03/2022 at 22:05, YoungWillz said:

There's a bit of an enema (to borrow one of Gooseberry's turns of phrase) sweeping the opera world at the moment - Edita Gruberova. Maria Ewing, Jennifer Toye and Josephine Veasey all gone in the last couple of months, the first two at just 72

If you want to know 20 old opera singers who won't die, I can refer you to my opera theme team....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

ISIS has a new leader and gives a confirmation of their previous leader's death:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/islamic-state-confirms-death-its-leader-names-new-chief-2022-03-10/

Congratulations MPFC for a well-chosen, yet unique, desirable hit.

Thanks, I confidently predict the next guy won't die a quiet death and will not perish offering up any unique pick bonuses on the DDP.

Looking like win #5

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Banana said:

Looking like win #5

In fairness, it was only a few weeks ago we were all talking about what an insurmountable lead Smart Beta had at the top of the table. There's a long road ahead with numerous possible twists and turns, but I feel like this was the best team I've put together since I started competing again. Pele and Tom Parker look like they were the right 50/50 punts to take, I've got most of the possible landmines covered... if we see a major run on Drop 40s who I overlooked (Alagiah, Whale, Burrow, Bilton) then that's squeaky bum time, but we'll see...

To be fair, we all think of DDT's domination of the DDP a decade ago, but since then, barring Reptile, Bert and one of Spade's wins, most contenders in February-April time have tended to be swept aside by a second half of the year sprint to victory by someone else. This has happened in 70% of the last 10 DDP years.

Spade's in a brilliant position of course. Better spot to be in than  5th with a LOTL goalie and having ignored the 10 point Ozzie criminal...

• Like 1

I think of the living picks, Tom Parker likely ends up the most important name for your Drive For Five narrative. Which would be a fitting rebound if he goes, after the wrong D40 mixture scuppered you last year. The first time I kept a DDP pick I (on top of most elite players) was proper bored of (Bracknell), I got points with her and finally won the thing!