Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

As we near the quarter mark my list Smart Beta has been holding up fairly ok, but with Zhang eating again that is a dart throw missed. Towards the waning hours of '21, I took out Nightbirde and Julia Reichert- 2 names that may in fact keep me from overtaking DQSP. Ended up replacing them with the Frenchies Igor Bogdanoff and Bruno Latour and will likely need Latour's death to stay near the top. I never could quite buy the hype on Pele and thought Parker could survive the year- yet his young age probably should have led him to make my list.over Turnbull. Still a long ways to go . 

Vic Elford is a hit for about 19 of us here. Thanks!

• Like 1

I am stunned I didn’t put Vic Elford on my team. He has otherwise been firmly on my radar for months and months. Stupid cunt.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TQR said:

I am stunned I didn’t put Vic Elford on my team. He has otherwise been firmly on my radar for months and months. Stupid cunt.

Not room for many 86 year olds in a team of 20 though if they're not going to Drop 40 even if they're going to die.

If you had 20 Vic Elfords in your team you wouldn't win. 7 is as low as I go and I limit them - mind you I've never won :D:D - you're better off with a Vic Elford than a living, breathing body but which of those 20 people you are sure are going to die in the next year on 31st December do you drop to make way for them.

Only 19 teams picked him but lots more were aware he was going to die. 

EDIT: Also as below he was a slight QO risk although reading the Obits out there actually he wasn't and I'm sure he'll get one, I just didn't know enough about him.

28 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Vic Elford is a hit for about 19 of us here. Thanks!

He still needs a QO as far as I can see. Which should happen, I defer to OoO on motorsport matters and he had him as a guarantee for proper coverage.

16 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

He still needs a QO as far as I can see. Which should happen, I defer to OoO on motorsport matters and he had him as a guarantee for proper coverage.

Imagine if he does not. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Imagine if he does not. 

I can guarantee he will obit. It's all written, just needs publishing.

I would have picked him myself as the poor chap was doomed, but just could not bring myself to be pleased at points at his passing.

5 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Not room for many 86 year olds in a team of 20 though if they're not going to Drop 40 even if they're going to die.

If you had 20 Vic Elfords in your team you wouldn't win. 7 is as low as I go and I limit them - mind you I've never won :D:D - you're better off with a Vic Elford than a living, breathing body but which of those 20 people you are sure are going to die in the next year on 31st December do you drop to make way for them.

Only 19 teams picked him but lots more were aware he was going to die. 

EDIT: Also as below he was a slight QO risk although reading the Obits out there actually he wasn't and I'm sure he'll get one, I just didn't know enough about him.

A fair point re the points value of picks and summat I spent time pondering before this year's DDP, opting for the percentage game of a fair smattering of tottering talent, some nailed on Drop 40 fodder and a couple of curve ball picks (the Head of ISIS paying off in that dept so far). The aim being to perform respectably but also acknowledge that those for whom this is a calling rather than an amusement are likely to be out of sight. Elford was in the totterers for me. Given his major wins he's nailed on obit fodder but even if Putin unleashes chemical hell and skews the news agenda BBC will name him in their round up of SPOTY mentions of the departed. 

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Aye and on that note, thanks for the tip @Octopus of Odstock!

Also my sympathies for your loss.

Thanks, but although I met him a few times, I didn't know him  well. But he will be much, much missed by the sport overall.

For the last couple of years I have only picked over 80s on my team that are all but guaranteed to make the drop 40.

This year Pele was my only over 80 pick as I knew he would make the drop 40.Last year I picked Larry King and Carlos Menem and the year before just Alex Trebek.Without the Drop 40 bonus main team picks over 80 don't seem worth it.

• Like 1

Unless you get a unique which is beyond my level of skill .

All the wins since 2017 (a year in which Bert would have lost if he didn't pick 5-point Mario Soares) have had enough distance from the chasing pack that even if there was a relative low pointer in their score, it didn't ultimately matter. I do think we'll have at least one year this decade where there is a close victory decided by a 6 pointer, too early to tell if it's this one.

This will be a long-distance run. Spade's team can be caught, because he has some weaknesses, or picks that currently appear as weaknesses, plus the failed COVID gamble. But his early rush means he threw down the gauntlet and the winner will have to achieve at least 15 hits, only to surpass him. I think Gary Burgess might be the biggest consensus joker since...ever? Or at least since I play the game. Burgess reminds me of Joey Feek, another year that turned out to be a monster scoring year. 

The Ronnie Hellström non-obit is obviously a big hindrance for Banana and msc. I liked Perhaps' team, too, but there's Dan Lacey. Smart Beta (and I) could use the Alagiah/Turnbull double. And I like to think that I am still eligible for the full 20/20, but Woodmore and Kashi are obit gambles, I have to check back again in/around July. And I think the healthiest person on my team might actually be Jerry Lee Lewis.

• Like 1

So for those without Vic Elford as it’s only March which living picks in your team would you drop if you could replace with his 6 points.

For my own team I think rejecting a certain 6 for the chance of 7 from Julia Reichert and Francoise Hardy would be greedy, Nick Hitchon 8 has a lot of risks and I still wonder if he is actually alive or if he did die when it was said to be a hoax and Gavin Robertson’s 9 I don’t really know how he is? The rest I’d be happy to keep rolling the dice on even though there must be others because I’m not going to get 16 hits :D

On 15/03/2022 at 18:00, Octopus of Odstock said:

Told you - Times obituary 

https://archive.ph/SRYSn

Never doubt OoO with F1 DL information

Thank you! Let’s hope the scores get updated soon. 

Cheers for updating the scores. =6th, might look at that and enjoy it a few times before I tumble down the order again. Already spunked the joker and my one unique hit - plenty of talent remaining but much of it old enough to remember WW2 kicking off!

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@Handrejka A 'hit' for you in this pool as it is announced that  Peter Bowles has died aged 85.

I feel kind of sad about it, but a hit is a hit.

• Like 1