Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

I am back from joint 10th to 6th place.My best final position was 18 so think I will beat that.Top 10 might be a stretch though.

• Like 1

Quite happy with my current 5th place spot, I highly doubt I'll be able to creep any further up this year.

Although I would be in joint 2nd(?) place if Dan Lacey scraped an obit which would've been lovely to see, and no I won't shut up about it.

• Like 2

1/60 across 3 teams (and a DNQO). Matches last year's total for the year.

Both deaths have been in theme teams rather than my supposedly serious attempt.

Looking at it, and I didn't realise this at the time, my team this year does resemble a classic DQSP lineup from the glory years: guaranteed QO young joker, two or three well-picked uniques, and a reliance on low-owned names rather than Drop 40 essentials. No "old-as-fuck five-yard tap-in five-pointer" though, so if I lose this year's DDP based on not picking Leslie Phillips, I may be slightly annoyed at myself.

Picking Parker rather than losing faith in him was a nod to the modern DDP style of playing where it's basically a version of game theory (which was what Salmon effectively won with last year): the damage gained by not picking him and him dying was far greater than the damage caused by picking him and him staying alive.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Picking Parker rather than losing faith in him was a nod to the modern DDP style of playing where it's basically a version of game theory (which was what Salmon effectively won with last year): the damage gained by not picking him and him dying was far greater than the damage caused by picking him and him staying alive.

Wish Salmon would've remembered that this year

35 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Aye, Radio 4 mentioned him in the six o' clock round up. I mean, there's a war on in Europe FFS, why blather about him and play a snatch of Convoy?

On 30/03/2022 at 16:32, Death Impends said:

He's the type of name I'd likely have overthought and dropped if I was still playing competitively. Instead he stayed. There's probably always going to be a hit or two for me like that each year.

...and hit two like that.

Despite keeping like 5 survivors it looks like I did a poor job of choosing which of those survivors I kept. 

1 hour ago, Prowler0000 said:

You & me both!

I knew he would die in a year I didn't have my Hitchcock theme.

98 hits in not even 96 days. This has been an avalanche lately. Stanislaw Kowalski will probably only make the List of the Lost. But otherwise, it's been a very busy year, and with the DeathList now at 4 hits, the somewhat quiet February and March are compensated.

An interesting year, and Tom Smith widens the competition. Other paths to victory become possible.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

98 hits in not even 96 days. This has been an avalanche lately. Stanislaw Kowalski will probably only make the List of the Lost. But otherwise, it's been a very busy year, and with the DeathList now at 4 hits, the somewhat quiet February and March are compensated.

An interesting year, and Tom Smith widens the competition. Other paths to victory become possible.

Times like these I'd be all "great :smoking-smiley:" but most of this week's batch interest me personally, which does make it easier. Except for the poor CBBC lady but it only took 5 minutes to write two sentences about her to discretely cloak under another obit.

Tom Smith's death has me in 9th place, solo. Now if Peter Tobin will only do us the service of his demise (and should a miraculous Dan Lacey QO appears out of thin air), I might actually have a shot at glory.