Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

A weird trend with my lineup is they all have had their birthday or are having it soon (yes I know I should have picked Ann-Margaret aka Elvis's costar in 1964's Viva Las Vegas) her birthday is 28th April and she is 80 but enouh rambling I will show you who has had there birthday already

William Shatner actor  (22/3/1931) current age: 91 

Rupert "Mr. Burns" Murdoch media mogul  (11/3/1931) current age : 91

Paul Biya Cameroonian dictator (age 89)

Bill Russell NBA star of 1950s/60s (age 88 

James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vader and Mufasa) age 91

Julian Glover Star Wars General Veers and Indiana Jones Walter Donovan age:87

Anthony Daniels (age: 76) star wars iconic c3po

I have to note too that his former teammate John Drew who struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for most of his career died last week age 67

On 21/04/2022 at 01:45, Grim News said:

On 21/04/2022 at 02:50, Joey Russ said:

Not picked in the DDP so not why he’s posted here 

Was he picked in the Silver Screen DP?

6 minutes ago, time said:

Was he picked in the Silver Screen DP?

No

Shout-out to all the theme teams that keep on picking just the right names. I think we never had this many hits at this point in the year.

• Like 3

I could see the hit a day rate lasting into May at this rate. A far cry from when it seemed about to go under in March.

There's also a basic Yahoo obit for Arno but weirdly it does not seem to convert to UK.

• Like 1

It's especially weird considering how it feels like we're in a celebrity death drought. 

I think right now is when we lose that hit rate per day. We did well so far, quite possibly better than ever in picking the right people (also, yahoo helped). But eventually, there's the time when it slows down.

Arno is still a potential obit, but it seems the yahoo window has passed. He DID get a yahoo finance obit (??) but it did not translate into uk.news.

Hilda Bernard got a uk.news.yahoo obit, but it's not in english: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/actriz-argentina-hilda-bernard-muere-185911463.html

Also, that Mollie Walker obit never materialised. Though I do wonder if she gets a mention through a later death, but it didn't happen when Kane Tanaka died. Gustav Gerneth got such a belated obit IIRC.

58 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Also, that Mollie Walker obit never materialised. Though I do wonder if she gets a mention through a later death, but it didn't happen when Kane Tanaka died. Gustav Gerneth got such a belated obit IIRC.

I remember close to a decade ago, James Sisnett (the 2nd oldest man at the beginning of 2013) only QOed because of a Mail article about Jiroemon Kimura being the last living man born in the 19th century, which mentioned Sisnett as the penultimate.

• Like 1

So, I set out to finish top 30, thinking 20th place a real achievement if I could get there and trying to field a team with so much certainty that 100 points was doable. About as methodical as I've ever been in this competition. Tanaka (little value but as nailed-on as her sort can be) has hauled me to 79 points and a current 5th. Barker, Burrow, Field and Pele continue in the ranks, for now. 100 points seems eminently doable as things stand after a third of the year. 

Point being that for all the self-depreciating comments hereabouts I'm wondering how many people think like me. I'm clear that I like dead pooling where others are - ahem - dedicated to the art so I'm likening the current performance to a lowly team who've got their act together to achieve promotion and the target is a good enough performance to avoid relegation, owt else being a bonus. Who else approached it this way this year?

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, I set out to finish top 30, thinking 20th place a real achievement if I could get there and trying to field a team with so much certainty that 100 points was doable. About as methodical as I've ever been in this competition. Tanaka (little value but as nailed-on as her sort can be) has hauled me to 79 points and a current 5th. Barker, Burrow, Field and Pele continue in the ranks, for now. 100 points seems eminently doable as things stand after a third of the year. 

Point being that for all the self-depreciating comments hereabouts I'm wondering how many people think like me. I'm clear that I like dead pooling where others are - ahem - dedicated to the art so I'm likening the current performance to a lowly team who've got their act together to achieve promotion and the target is a good enough performance to avoid relegation, owt else being a bonus. Who else approached it this way this year?

I always approach it to win and my strategy to try and do this is pack my team with lots of potential points and hope one year I get lucky. The best I've ever managed is 8th though in my first year 2018.

Over the 4 years to date I've entered 6 non theme teams and I suppose the one thing I'm quite chuffed with is that all of them have scored more than 100 points so in football terms I'm probably a Tottenham Hotspur, always on the fringe of the title race but never actually taking part in it.

70 points so far this year sitting in 11th but the 100 is not nailed on so now I've written this almost inevitable I fail to make it this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I always approach it to win and my strategy to try and do this is pack my team with lots of potential points and hope one year I get lucky. The best I've ever managed is 8th though in my first year 2018.

I guess I actually do the same. My win was neatly preceded and followed by two 21st places, if I recall correctly. So yeah, eventually it's going to happen. (next year... 5 years ... 10 years ....)

And indeed, I also take some pride in always managing at least 100 pts. 

Winning is for winners I say.

One year I broke my own rules and I went for the imminently ill, sickly etc etc. The vast majority of whom live to this day.

I just play people who I would not miss or would miss terribly. And that I've heard of. The hell with the position, as long as I give some interesting punts.

Best place for main team - 58th. Even that shocked me.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Winning is for winners I say.

One year I broke my own rules and I went for the imminently ill, sickly etc etc. The vast majority of whom live to this day.

I just play people who I would not miss or would miss terribly. And that I've heard of. The hell with the position, as long as I give some interesting punts.

Best place for main team - 58th. Even that shocked me.

Pretty much same for me and my best finish was a similar 63rd.

• Like 1

I wanted to make the top 10 at least once - and last year I did it for the first time! Thanks to Betty White, I climbed to number 5 on the very last day and will probably always wear this as the highest ranking in the subtitle! I'm a bit proud of that and wouldn't be sad if it were to remain my best result. But of course I'll always try to ensure that my main team gets a lot of profitable hits, that's kind of the point of the game.

I'm currently in 10th place but I don't think I can keep the top 10 this year. Giving up Tom Parker was really a mistake and it pisses me off!!! But hey - been on place 5 once!!! :bow:

• Like 1

My highest finish is joint 3rd place, back in 2010. 

Achieved with just 8 hits and 64 points.

Times have changed.

• Like 1

My best performance was joint 7th on the Theme Team league (68th overall in 2014) the same year I won the Inverse League

• Like 1

I was chuffed with a 28th last year, my debut year. Currently having a very difficult second album. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TQR said:

I was chuffed with a 28th last year, my debut year. Currently having a very difficult second album. 

You have been here since 2016 so I am surprised only last year was your debut  DDP year!:o