Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Does the joker double the whole points total? For example my Theme Team joker Penelope Lively is a unique and she is worth a base 6 points + 4 for being unique so is she worth 16 to me or 20?

Just done a tot up of the points available to me on my theme team

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Does the joker double the whole points total? For example my Theme Team joker Penelope Lively is a unique and she is worth a base 6 points + 4 for being unique so is she worth 16 to me or 20?

Just done a tot up of the points available to me on my theme team

The joker doubles the entire total, correct. If Lively died she'd be 20 points.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

It's how you hang the people who really deserve it, IMO. Just factually state their life without much editorial commentary to give the "he was a cunt" bit all the more sting. :lol:

Will shamelessly admit to nicking that motif from some of msc's past obits (I remember Phil Spector and Larry Flynt having that same general "he was very important in his field. he was also a cunt" line) but some gags are too effective not to recycle!

Bravo.  You're the only DI I've ever had any time for.  :) 

I sincerely hope David Duckenfield is afforded the same DDP coppers send off and I'm around to read it.

It's been interesting checking the most viewed page stats. Usually, it follows an expected pattern - recent obits with image headliners get the most clicks. Only strangely Walter Mercado, a 2019 death, has suddenly exploded in pageviews! Figure some other site linked to it but still a headscratcher.

Somebody must be giving him mucho, mucho amor.

4 hours ago, Death Impends said:

It's been interesting checking the most viewed page stats. Usually, it follows an expected pattern - recent obits with image headliners get the most clicks. Only strangely Walter Mercado, a 2019 death, has suddenly exploded in pageviews! Figure some other site linked to it but still a headscratcher.

The documentary about him on Netflix is pretty good, fwiw.

8 hours ago, Death Impends said:

He was a unique pick by me that year. I may not get a lot of DDP hits, but somehow they turn into interesting ones.

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/05/13/teresa-berganza-sultry-voiced-mezzo-soprano-revered-portrayal/

Spanish mezzo Teresa Berganza dead, sadly.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining - in this case points for The Fat Lady's Singing.

30 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0166014/

Does imdb count as a QO? (Still hunting one for the 'dead in Feb' Rene Clemencic)

If IMDB counted the DDP would be won the Alt Obits way, finding a lot of terminally ill actors whose illnesses are only reported in foreign articles. In other words no.

• Thanks 1

Hey, can anyone please tell me if edits to Wikipedia count as a QO???

:scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

Thanks.

• Haha 5

Just calculated that even if everyone in my main team went (currently on 9 points) I still would have a lower score than the DDP leader at the moment

I think my best chance of glory this year is in the Theme Team League where there are most points to be won for me but the competition looks fierce

17 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just calculated that even if everyone in my main team went (currently on 9 points) I still would have a lower score than the DDP leader at the moment

I think my best chance of glory this year is in the Theme Team League where there are most points to be won for me but the competition looks fierce

I presume that's "fierce" as in line ups packed with persons likely to die. I think if Katie Taylor were left alone in a room with the surviving aged nonces in my theme team line up she could probably take the lot of them in a fist fight.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I presume that's "fierce" as in line ups packed with persons likely to die. I think if Katie Taylor were left alone in a room with the surviving aged nonces in my theme team line up she could probably take the lot of them in a fist fight.

Yeah I am looking at the scoring potential

The current leader has Sidney Cooke, Peter Tobin, Alberto Fujimori and Ted Kacynski amongst his line up so top spot might be a challenge but over half my picks would at least draw me level with them.

11 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Yeah I am looking at the scoring potential

The current leader has Sidney Cooke, Peter Tobin, Alberto Fujimori and Ted Kacynski amongst his line up so top spot might be a challenge but over half my picks would at least draw me level with them.

I think you may need to take one for the good of humanity here, Biblio! ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, msc said:

I think you may need to take one for the good of humanity here, Biblio! ;)

All I can offer as an alternative is that I have A.S. Byatt

Marnie Schulenburg is a 'List of the Missed' pick, having been selected in 2021, but not this year.

The Stats and Facts page is finally fully updated for 2021. A few very simple stats (like who dies on their birthday) will be updated throughout the year if the need arises but the totals-related stats will remain untouched until next year needless to say!

Thanks to msc for providing his past stats notes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I never realized that I actually led the DDP for four days in January, 2017. That and August, 2020 player of the month are my claims to fame.

6 hours ago, Death Impends said:

The Stats and Facts page is finally fully updated for 2021. A few very simple stats (like who dies on their birthday) will be updated throughout the year if the need arises but the totals-related stats will remain untouched until next year needless to say!

Thanks to msc for providing his past stats notes!

Excellent work.

My main highlight seems to be that across my 2 teams in 2021 I had picked 5 of the 6 people that died on 5th Feb which make it most deadly day in DDP history (3 of which were uniques)..

in fact I didn’t realise myself that of the 14 hits I had across my 2 teams in 2021 that 5 of them all died on same day. Doesn’t say much for rest of the year!

One very minor editing point - when Gabriele Grunewald died in June 2019 it was my team GUN Away that returned to top of DDP not my Death List persona Grim Up North - the days are correctly included in my historical count for days at top of DDP.

Finally only in Death List circles would Margaret Thatcher’s name ever appear under a ‘Most Popular’ heading.

• Like 1

Didn't realise that the winning hit in the last three years have all been footballers: two Germans, two who were most famous for their careers in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Didn't realise that the winning hit in the last three years have all been footballers: two Germans, two who were most famous for their careers in Scotland.

Scenes when the 2022 DDP is decided by the BBC End of Year memorial page for sport randomly including Ronnie H...