Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

I'm just glad none of my rivals have picked Jorg Albertz.

• Haha 1

Bloody Hell. Didn't realize Natty Wailer left us a few weeks ago.

Although a minor part of Bob Marley's legacy I'm really surprised he didn't get some kind of UK obit.  Ah well.  Wouldn't be the same without one of my lads making the "List of the lost" :(

On 19/05/2022 at 01:01, Grim Up North said:

One very minor editing point - when Gabriele Grunewald died in June 2019 it was my team GUN Away that returned to top of DDP not my Death List persona Grim Up North - the days are correctly included in my historical count for days at top of DDP.

Now fixed.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 06:01, Grim Up North said:

One very minor editing point - when Gabriele Grunewald died in June 2019 it was my team GUN Away that returned to top of DDP not my Death List persona Grim Up North - the days are correctly included in my historical count for days at top of DDP.

Ah I should apologise, @Death Impends was fixing one of my own bits there. Basically, I was too lazy to remember which Grim team it was whenever I threw the original list up, and forgot to double check it. My bad!

20 minutes ago, msc said:

Ah I should apologise, @Death Impends was fixing one of my own bits there. Basically, I was too lazy to remember which Grim team it was whenever I threw the original list up, and forgot to double check it. My bad!

Glad you stepped in to clarify as there was no real way for me myself to say "alright msc's error now fixed" without it looking like I was throwing you under the bus :lol:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, msc said:

Well I'm not sure I thanked you for all your excellent work at the time which was probably a much bigger job than the small update :D that DI has just done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Glad you stepped in to clarify as there was no real way for me myself to say "alright msc's error now fixed" without it looking like I was throwing you under the bus :lol:

If anyone sees an error on the website, a wizard did it. Or msc. 

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Well I'm not sure I thanked you for all your excellent work at the time which was probably a much bigger job than the small update :D that DI has just done.

I'm sure you did but never turn down compliments. :D

No score updates until tuesday, because I won't be at home. Well, there hasn't been much to update lately anyway.

16 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

No score updates until tuesday, because I won't be at home. Well, there hasn't been much to update lately anyway.

Don't jinx yourself.

• Haha 1

Alright, seems like three new names to add to the score. Boris Pahor, Shaun Greatbatch, and The Gerber Baby. Sophie Freud has not yet received a QO it seems? Neither btw. has Ciriaco de Mita, which I find surprising/disappointing.

That's all for now....(?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've noticed over the last couple of months just how awful the Herald is at obituaries.

Lucky if we get one a fortnight. 

35 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I've noticed over the last couple of months just how awful the Herald is at obituaries.

I’ve noticed that too. The Courier, by comparison, bungs them out at a crazy speed despite losing their prominence as a national paper.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Given they now put out much the same as the Evening Times and a few other papers, I suspect a heavy dose of firing the writers and preferring mass produced stuff instead. Shame.

Was going to say "add the Daily Record instead", but apparently the Record IS a qualifying obit and I'm the one who added it. Memory's the first to go...;)

• Like 1

One for the list of the lost, where he will undoubtedly remain: Tomás Mac Síomóin, a pick on my Irish themed team, died back in February. 

Tomás Mac Síomóin: From One Bright Island Flown (culturematters.org.uk)

I didn't have the slightest expectation that he would obit. He was mostly included to make work for Gcreptile with trying to find a photo, and getting the spelling of his name right :D. The latter was achieved by ignoring the fada (accent) wherever it occurred in his name.

I do question though why he is listed in the "S" section rather than the "M", since Mac is the first part of his surname - typical anti-Irish discrimination :angry2:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

The latter was achieved by ignoring the fada (accent) wherever it occurred in his name.

The access database doesn't recognise accents (or summat) so every single fucking one of them needs removed at the data entry stage. You're welcome. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

The access database doesn't recognise accents (or summat) so every single fucking one of them needs removed at the data entry stage. You're welcome. :D

Thanks for that info Grim - I didn't realise that it added so much work. 

From now on, I will ensure that all of my theme picks are drawn from a list of native Irish speakers with at least 4 fadas in their name :P

• Haha 1

His name now appears on the LotL page fully fada-ed, I hope that can be of slight consolation.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 20:07, Death Impends said:

His name now appears on the LotL page fully fada-ed, I hope that can be of slight consolation.

Thanks DI.

For completeness sake, this article gives the date of death as February 17th

Tomás Mac Síomóin obituary: Irish Marxist writer with a hatred of neoliberalism – The Irish Times

• Thanks 1

Another trip of mine is upcoming. Today is the last chance of an update for a week.

Trintignant is another glorious hit for me. First place is only 5 points away now. 

6 hours ago, Eesti said:

Trintignant is another glorious hit for me. First place is only 5 points away now. 

It is these kind of hits that make the difference - while Jean-Louis Trintignant (J-LT) is D40, only 46 teams have him.  Of those, only 7 have him in the top 40 ranking.  

For those interested prior to the update, this is how J-LT shakes up the standings.

Spoiler

Rank

Punter

Score

Score +8 (J-LT)

New Rank (est)

Evil Grimace

=20

A Trophy for Atrophy

=19

I Will not Die, it’s the World that will End

=13

Pazuzu United

Carkers Convention 2022

Banana’s Peel Slippers

DDP Tofoa

If I had a number in mind to keep a comfortable lead, that would be ~20 points.  

Edited by Evil Grimace
Hit submit too soon!
  • Like 1