Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Apologies for the late reply but Ray Liotta died a while ago  

He is the most recent major celebrity death in my opinion 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

I know he's long gone but I thought for a profile picture Lon Chaney Jr. Is weirdly appropriate for the deathlist no further comment...

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, Grim News said:

I know he's long gone but I thought for a profile picture Lon Chaney Jr. Is weirdly appropriate for the deathlist no further comment...

You can talk about avatars here:

This thread isn't a general hub for chitchat, it's specifically for conversation pertaining to this year's Derby Dead Pool competition.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2022 at 17:06, Death Impends said:

You can talk about avatars here:

This thread isn't a general hub for chitchat, it's specifically for conversation pertaining to this year's Derby Dead Pool competition.

Interesting, why is legendary Berlin bouncer (and shanty singer) Rummelsnuff in the thumbnail above?

He let me in a couple of times and I was told that he remembered my face.

Hi just letting you know that  Wikipedia lists Brian Jackson- The man from Del Monte , as dying on July 2nd not the 7th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just read it! Loved your witty  write up for Brian Jackson    and your kind words.  Thank you!:)  @Death Impends

Your a natural  at this!

Ta. I originally drafted the last line as "Not even the Man from Del Monte would say yes!" only for Abe/Storch/Echeverria to happen the following days. Hedged my bets a bit!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just read it! Loved your witty  write up for Brian Jackson    and your kind words.  Thank you!:)  @Death Impends

Your a natural  at this!

I agree with you.

I had to smile at Sophie Freud's obituary because I quit smoking almost exactly 10 years ago. So cigars no, shlongs probably yes... B)

• Haha 2

Barbara Thompson is in. I will be away over the weekend so updates will have to wait.

• Like 2

A bit of analysis on the D40 picks who will be dropping in points due to the age brackets they will or have moved into this year.

Name

Points 1 Jan

Birthday

Age  (Points @ BDay)

Teams

Frank Field

16 July 1942

80 (6)

Prunella Scales

22 June 1932

90 (5)

Rob Burrow

26 Sept 1982

40 (10)

Billy Connolly

24 Nov 1942

80 (6)

Tom Weiskopf

9 Nov 1942

80 (6)

Tim Bilton

X XXX 1972

50 (9)

Spoiler

Analysis – as of 16 July 2022

These are the D40 picks that will cross a threshold in age that leads to a point loss by moving into a lower point bracket.  It appears slightly higher than average at 6, however the 2021 DDP D40 had nine (Doherty, Graves, Harding, Henderson, Limbaugh, Prince Philip, Sang-Chul, Smith, Whale).  As every point counts, some players may regret their choices or pay attention to birth years in the future.

Of course, the points for being at D40 pick are not impacted, just the base points from the pick’s age.  They could still surprise with a party pooper bonus.

Onto the details!

Frank Field (loss -1)

First of all, happy birthday!  Field is by far the largest point loss in the D40.  He was the one I was watching and trying to find updates on.  Unless anyone else can say otherwise, he’s been quiet.

Prunella Scales (loss -1)

I hadn’t realized she’d already dropped down in points last month.  Reliable updates from her son.

Rob Burrow (nil)

Burrow will be 40 in September, but due to the bracket of 30-49 he’s in, no penalty.  Has not been looking well in recent appearances.

Billy Connolly (loss -1)

Likely the last birthday on this list.  Based on his health and this impending point decrease, I dropped him in 2022.  Seems other teams did too – he’s down from 54 teams in 2021.

Tom Weiskopf (loss -1)

Another late birthday.  Pan can reported to be under control.

Tim Bilton (loss -1)

I recall tracking down Bilton’s date of birth was a challenge – and it still is.  I’m certain his birth year is 1972 based on the fact it is in his Twitter and Instagram handles.  Also, an article from the Mirror (not linking that) dated 14 June 2019 stated he was 47.  That suggests his birthday has already happened too.  He’s active on social media and has a blog he regularly updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Grimace said:

As noted, David Trimble, 1998 Peace Nobel Laureate has died.  He can also claim the accolade of 'List of the Missed':

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2019/celebs_T.html#trimbd

Naturally he's garnered the QO from the BBC - why did I make him the only sub for the 'Nobel Notables' theme?? 

Generally surprised  not a single person  picked him.

This is probably the year in which the LotM gets closest to the actual hits in its starpower?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

This is probably the year in which the LotM gets closest to the actual hits in its starpower?

I mean 2016 is definitely up there but I could see 2022 surpassing that 

So I have been tinkering with the archives as one is wont to do during that July dry spell. Not going to mention every little change I do but I uncovered a mother lode while prowling Archive.org - namely that Excel spreadsheets for the 2000-02 DDPs were still hosted on the site as late as 2010. Thought they were lost to history yet were under my nose all along!

I have now converted all three into proper webpages.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2000/teams.html

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2001/teams.html

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2002/teams.html

I believe this leaves 3 DDPs where selection records are lost to time (96, 97, 99).

As an addendum, I was taken back by how many misses the DDP was experiencing even in these nascent years. So I was inspired to set up a page for misses before 2008 (the first year with a standalone LotM page)...

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/list-of-the-missed-early-years/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Shout out to the 2001 team who jokered Trump - ahead of their time. As well as another team that year who jokered the world's oldest person (who died in Nov 2000). Had they jokered the living titleholder instead they would have won the whole DDP!

Good work. 
Of the names that ended up being LOTM Yehudi Menuhin and Quentin Crisp stand out as those two surely would’ve been on multiple teams nowadays

Sensational work, DI, well done! :clap:

Very impressed by the team who picked Anita Roddick a year before she knew she had liver cirrhosis and four years before she made it public.