Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

13 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62330478

Very sad day for wombles everywhere.

Let's get started here on my claims for Cribbins.

He's my fourth hit on my Comedy Cremations theme team. I have no hits anywhere else on my other teams (!!!), but that means even across my three teams I now have more hits than I got across all teams in 2021. Crazy.

Is it required that one submits a team of exactly 20 for the DDP (minus subs)?

I was scrolling through the teams list when I found this, which rather clearly does not:

image.png.42d38c00beb4e2140f82713c9c714f24.png

Is there any particular reason why, or is it an error? I presume it may be because of Betty White, but I thought that I would bring it to the attention of this year's DDP hosts here.

Yes, it happens when one doesnt have enough substitutions, or doesnt realize that some of their picks are already dead.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, it happens when one doesnt have enough substitutions, or doesnt realize that some of their picks are already dead.

One year one of Diana Rots’ squad only have 16 members. I think there was a team with 10 at some point but I can’t remember their name atm

If I can write a Cribbins obit as an American without being burned at the stake then I know I've made it. :biggrin:

But really, thanks, it can be tricky at times giving proper dues to beloved figures who I don't have as much first hand experience with. And I really wanted to make sure Cribbins had a good one. His near-700 words are the most I've written for anyone bar Ronnie Spector!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Death Impends said:

If I can write a Cribbins obit as an American without being burned at the stake then I know I've made it. :biggrin:

But really, thanks, it can be tricky at times giving proper dues to beloved figures who I don't have as much first hand experience with. And I really wanted to make sure Cribbins had a good one. His near-700 words are the most I've written for anyone bar Ronnie Spector!

You've always done a fine damned good job of it in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Currently on 172 total with at least two more to be added including  Pat Carroll. 

I wonder when the total will reach 200? Possibly by the end of August?

Wikipedia says that Russian luge coach Ivan Ivanov has died. Any Ivan Ivanov is a likely LotM candidate.

• Haha 1

Incredibly none of the Ivan Ivanovs in 2018 were a luge coach.

• Haha 1

No confirmation of al-Zawahiri's death from al-Qaeda so far. Even the Taliban seem a bit unsure, but it's probably because they don't want to confirm that he was present in Kabul.

We have to wait until I can award the points, I think.

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

No confirmation of al-Zawahiri's death from al-Qaeda so far. Even the Taliban seem a bit unsure, but it's probably because they don't want to confirm that he was present in Kabul.

We have to wait until I can award the points, I think.

So - like ISIS - al-Qaeda will confirm the death when they announce the next guy. Might take a while if they have to patch up the apartment that goes with the job as well!

• Haha 1

A question for the Committee:

How long at the end of the competion is the grace period for QOs to appear?

I ask as I noticed hit 178, Ian Oliver died on 7 July, but only recieved a QO today 8 August:

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_O.html#oliveri018

Clearly he counts now, but with a delay of a month, if he had died 7 December 2022 and recieved a QO on 8 January 2023, what would be the status of the hit?

Edit:  nice find @YoungWillz

Edited by Evil Grimace
Credit to finder of QO
  • Like 1

Also @Death Impends - you are awesome!

I noticed that your 1 August update of the Theme Team League has all the teams now listed, not the top 10.  

Thanks for your efforts!

21 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

A question for the Committee:

How long at the end of the competion is the grace period for QOs to appear?

I ask as I noticed hit 178, Ian Oliver died on 7 July, but only recieved a QO today 8 August:

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_O.html#oliveri018

Clearly he counts now, but with a delay of a month, if he had died 7 December 2022 and recieved a QO on 8 January 2023, what would be the status of the hit?

Deaths in a given DDP year have until Jan 1st the following year to get a QO. If it's Jan 2 or later - tough luck.

And thanks re TTL. The possibilities with Excel wizardry really are endless!

• Thanks 1

Been out today. Through tears, Olivia Newton-John is my first hit on my main theme team. Not who I thought would go first. :o

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Been out today. Through tears, Olivia Newton-John is my first hit on my main theme team. Not who I thought would go first. :o

10/20 dead from my list now. Back to second place and gap with leader is melting. Need to have 3-4 people from my list to be unlucky and die this year to win. One per month would do.

I got 2 ALS terminally ill guys (Barkan, Burrow) who look like death for some time now and could go any time. 2 old guys with cancer (Field, Pele). And some people full of cancer (Alagiah, Turnbull, Robertson, West, Doherty, Nolan). 

Maybe one of the ALS ill guys (Burrow), one old-timer (Field) and for example West/Robertson, Alagiah/Turnbull and Doherty could secure this for me.

I feel like Nolan has tricked me again and will survive this year. 

Also made a huge mistake not picking Bennett and Steiner who I somehow missed. 

Updated - without Dozier, because I am waiting on the place of death.

But Lamont Dozier would be hit no. 181.

That means we need 98 more hits in roughly 142 days to break the record. It's actually looking somewhat possible.

Considering we had a very deathless springtime, it's sort of impressive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That means we need 98 more hits in roughly 142 days to break the record. It's actually looking somewhat possible.

Probably Beverly Hills, but we'll see the obits soon.

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Family statement quoted here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/legendary-motown-songwriter-lamont-dozier-134138004.html

Died "at home" - hmm, other sources indicate he had homes in Los Angeles and Las Vegas annoyingly, my best guess is LA, but hey, could just put USA ha!

Yeah, thats always a compromise, and at least the date seems to be settled now. Lets see... I wont wait too long.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, thats always a compromise, and at least the date seems to be settled now. Lets see... I wont wait too long.

New York Times says Scottsdale, Arizona for Dozier. Surprised myself, but there you go.

Now, where did Raymond Briggs die? Lawdy...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

New York Times says Scottsdale, Arizona for Dozier. Surprised myself, but there you go.

Oh, don't make it a task for yourself. I try to do the updates in bunches in the afternoon. And either Wikipedia will tell me something or it won't.

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

When 1/3 of all profiles on the DDP consistently have erroneous dates and places of birth, fuck knows why you've just suddenly started investing time in this.