An Fear Beag

HARES DEATH POOL 2022

Thanks to Salmon Mousse for the notification of the 2 latest deaths. So added to the list in my last post, we have the following hits:

2nd March - Silas Alexander

6th March - Pau Riba

There is a runaway leader of the pool at this early stage, with Salmon Mousse having 8 hits already. In any other pool, that would be impressive. However, as seasoned players of this pool will know, early scores are not really what you are looking for. Can Salmon Mousse continue to rack up the hits to stay in front as the year progresses?

Full scoreboard on the first page - here is the top 5:

Salmon Mousse (266 points) 8 hits

[Gary Burgess, Isabel Torres, Jane Marczewski, Mustafa Kayirici, Pau Riba, Robert Durst, Russell Bishop, Silas Alexander]

Gcreptile (124 points) 2 hits

[Pau Riba, Silas Alexander]

John Key (69 points) 3 hits

[Christos Sartzetakis Gary Burgess, Lata Mangeshkar]

Captain Chorizo (63 points) 3 hits

[Christos Sartzetakis, Jana Bennett, Leonor Oyarzun]

Book (60 points) 2 hits

[Leonard Fenton, Monica Vitti]

Predictor (60 points) 1 hit

[Silas Alexander]

• Like 3

Vic Elford is a hit for 7 of us here. Passed away on 13. March. R.I.P. 

On 26/03/2022 at 08:28, WEP said:

For fuck sake @WEP - he died on October 26 1993 - pushing on 29 years ago :o. That must be a record for this pool. 

In your defence, I googled the name at the start of the year and didn't pick up that he was dead. It looks like his Wiki page, which links to the article you posted, may only have been created this January, so there are some mitigating factors. Even so, that is a pretty spectacular level of incompetent picking. 

I had an idea last year that I was going to introduce a penalty for picks that died before the start of the competition: -1 for every day before the deadline they died. In the end I decided against it, as I felt it would encourage players to submit their team at the very last minute. Just as well for you that I didn't introduce the rule- Nguyen Dich Dung would have earned you minus 10,298 points :lol:. I will definitely give strong consideration to bringing the rule in next year. 

As these is no statute of limitations on subs in this game, Johnny Ruffo joins your team.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Ok, first of all thanks for your kind words and for replacing my incredible pick.

43 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

I will definitely give strong consideration to bringing the rule in next year. 

Well, in that case, get the calculator out for my anticipated pick "Kushim".

• Haha 1

Nine people selected Tom Parker. So congrats to:

• Deathray
  • Doulton
  • Drol
  • Joey Russ
  • Kenny
  • Nantonian2013
  • The Old Lady
  • The Unknown Man
  • Wannamaker 
  • ZZZ Boring Predictable Team

• Angry 1

Eh, sorry, only now I've realized that my pick Jonathan Atherton has died quite some time ago. 

Two sources:

https://themusic.com.au/news/jonathan-atherton-crazy-crosswords/CV0RHRwfHgE/08-02-22

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/celebrating-jonathan-atherton-tribute-friend-comedy-legend-papa-cj

The article from February 8th says "earlier this week", that LinkedIn tribute is from February 5th. So I guess it most likely happened on February 3rd-4th.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 17:29, ladyfiona said:

Nine people selected Tom Parker. So congrats to:

• Deathray
  • Doulton
  • Drol
  • Joey Russ
  • Kenny
  • Nantonian2013
  • The Old Lady
  • The Unknown Man
  • Wannamaker 
  • ZZZ Boring Predictable Team

Oi! - I'm running this pool. I'll decide when congratulations are due and to whom :bombguy:. And no one in this poxy pool is getting congratulations for any  hits in March :evil:

• Sad 1

On 02/04/2022 at 07:01, gcreptile said:

Eh, sorry, only now I've realized that my pick Jonathan Atherton has died quite some time ago. 

Two sources:

https://themusic.com.au/news/jonathan-atherton-crazy-crosswords/CV0RHRwfHgE/08-02-22

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/celebrating-jonathan-atherton-tribute-friend-comedy-legend-papa-cj

The article from February 8th says "earlier this week", that LinkedIn tribute is from February 5th. So I guess it most likely happened on February 3rd-4th.

No worries @gcreptile. @WEP has set a fairly high bar for "died quite some time ago" :rolleyes:

Regarding the date of death, as you said the article which acts as a QO is dated 8th February and mentions "earlier this week". February 8th was a Tuesday, so "earlier this week" should be Monday 7th, or Sunday 6th if you consider that to be the beginning of the week. However the linkedin tribute is dated Saturday 5th.  Until proven otherwise, I am going with the date of death as Saturday 5th February, as the tribute gives no indication as to when he died.

• Like 2

On the subject of "died some time ago", @Pedro67 picked Alan Braden, without any clarification as to who that was. As per the rules, he was entered as Alan Braden (Composer).

However Alan Braden (Composer) died on 6th April 2021 https://www.witneygazette.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/19247048.Alan_BRADEN/

He didn't get any national coverage, but was mentioned by YoungWillz in the "People I was surprised to find are still alive" thread on July 5th.

As a google search does not show any other viable Alan Braden, he is replaced on Pedro67's team by Frankie Valli.

Also on the subject of "died quite some time ago", @Wormfarmer would want to move their lazy arse and start checking their team now and again. It looks like half of them pegged it in January and I wasn't informed :banghead:

• Haha 1

As we are at the end of the first quarter of this slowly run marathon, it is time for a full update on the scores. 

Since the last update on March 7th, a number of earlier deaths have come to my attention:

January 10th - Francis Jackson (a hit for Wormfarmer - see post above :evil:)

January 12th - Everett Lee (another hit for Wormfarmer - see post above :evil::evil:)

February 5th - Jonathon Atherton (a hit for GcReptile who apologised nicely :hatsoff:)

February 19th - Monique Hanotte (a hit for Babyblue who escapes my wrath because Hanotte was an interesting pick:))

February 21st - Chor Yuen (a hit for JoeMoneypenny, who tried to casually mention his passing in the hope that I wouldn't notice that it had happened weeks earlier :angry:)

The following have also been hits since the last update:

March 6th: Frank O'Farrell

March 7th: Rafiq Tarar

March 9th: Jimmy Lydon

March 13th: Vic Elford

March 24th: Dagny Carlsson

March 30th: Tom Parker

April 1st: CW McCall

April 2nd: Estelle Harris

Tom Parker was the biggest hit of the month with 9 players getting hits, but surprisingly no Wildcard selections. That is a huge drop from last year when 21 players included Parker in their teams, with 6 of them selecting him as their wildcard - a sign of how much Deadpoolers had given up on him)

Salmon Mousse retains the lead for now. However the chasing pack are starting to gather up behind and it will only take one hit for a number of them to strike for the lead. 

6 players (Deathray, Doulton, JoeMoneypenny, Nantonian, Pedro69 and The Unknown Man) have finally decided to enter the race, with Deathray managing two hits in that time.

12 players have decided that the weather is still a little chilly outside for  racing, so their teams remain tucked up warmly inside for now.  

The full leaderboard is as follows: 

Salmon Mousse (266 points) 8 hits

[Gary Burgess, Isabel Torres, Jane Marczewski, Mustafa Kayirici, Pau Riba, Robert Durst, Russell Bishop, Silas Alexander]

Drol (213 points) 5 hits

[Christos Sartzetakis, Gary Burgess, Thick Nhat Hanh, Tom Parker, Vic Elford]

Bibliogryphon (200 points) 3 hits

[CW McCall, Frank O’Farrell, Jack Smethurst]

Wannamaker (178 points) 3 hits

[Russell Bishop, Tom Parker, Vic Elford]

BabyBlue (173 points) 4 hits

[Dagny Carlsson, Jana Bennett, Monica Vitti, Monique Hanotte]

The Old Lady (169 points) 4 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jana Bennett, Tom Parker, Vic Elford]

John Key (160 points) 4 hits

[Christos Sartzetakis, Estelle Harris, Gary Burgess, Lata Mangeshkar]

Gcreptile (159 points) 3 hits

[Jonathon Atherton, Pau Riba, Silas Alexander]

Deathray (159 points) 2 hits

[Tom Parker, Vic Elford]

Book (150 points) 3 hits

[CW McCall, Leonard Fenton, Monica Vitti]

MariNisia (143 points) 3 hits

[Jimmy Lyson, Sidney Poitier, Vic Elford]

Captain Chorizo (134 points) 4 hits

[Christos Sartzetakis, Jana Bennett, Leonor Oyarzun, Vic Elford]

Kenny (126 points) 3 hits

[Gary Burgess, Russell Bishop*, Tom Parker]

Toast (118 points) 3 hits

[Beryl Vertue, Sidney Poitier, Vic Elford]

Joey Russ (115 points) 3 hits

[Jana Bennett, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

CalebH (95 points) 2 hits

[Estelle Harris, Olga Szabo-Orban]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (88 points) 2 hits

[Gary Burgess, Tom Parker]

Pedro69 (91 points) 1 hit

[Estelle Harris]

Doulton (88 points) 1 hit

[Tom Parker]

Nantonian (88 points) 1 hit

[Tom Parker]

The Unknown Man (88 points) 1 hit

[Tom Parker]

Wormfarmer (75 points) 4 hits

[Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess]

Arghton (70 points) 2 hits

[F. Sionil Jose, Rafiq Tarar]

Torva Messor (67 points) 3 hits

[Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Thich Nhat Hanh]

JoeMoneypenny (51 points) 1 hit

[Chor Yuen]

Buffalo Phil (41 points) 2 hits

[Monica Vitti, Robert Durst]

Lady Fiona (35 points) 2 hits

[Carleton Carpenter, Sidney Poitier]

Im Not Hades (32 points) 1 hit

[Monica Vitti]

Death Impends (30 points) 1 hit

[Carleton Carpenter]

An Fear Beag (21 points) 1 hit

[Mollie Walker]

Sean (14 points) 2 hits

[Robert Durst, Sidney Poitier]

The Old Crem (5 points) 1 hit

[Sidney Poitier]

TQR (0 points) 1 hit

[Gary Burgess]

WEP (0 points) 1 hit

[Gary Burgess]

Death By Arsenic (0 points) 0 hit

Dying Probably (0 points) 0 hit

Etib80 (0 points) 0 hit

Famous4Eva (0 points) 0 hit

Great Uncle Bulgaria (0 points) 0 hit

Guy From Future (0 points) 0 hit

Hell (0 points) 0 hit

LizLemon (0 points) 0 hit

MSC (0 points) 0 hit

Thatcher (0 points) 0 hit

WhoamI(0 points) 0 hit

Yorkshire Banker (0 points) 0 hit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Should have waited another 24 hours before updating. June Brown is a hit for me. BBC News

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Should have waited another 24 hours before updating. June Brown is a hit for me. BBC News

FFS- the Reaper is so inconsiderate at times. I swear he just waits for an update before cutting a swathe through the picks :angry:

These are the hits since the last update, this morning!

April 3rd: June Brown

Famous4Eva, GuyFromFuture and Hell enter the race properly with their first hit. LadyFiona moves up a bit in the middle, and Toast ascends to the lofty heights of 3rd place on 210 points. The leaderboard on Page 1 has been updated.

And I don't care how many picks die over the next month, you ain't getting another update until May. Otherwise I might be accused of taking this seriously.

But keep informing me of any picks that die. Especially you @Wormfarmer:angry:

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 08:09, An Fear Beag said:

On the subject of "died some time ago", @Pedro67 picked Alan Braden, without any clarification as to who that was. As per the rules, he was entered as Alan Braden (Composer).

However Alan Braden (Composer) died on 6th April 2021 :

As a google search does not show any other viable Alan Braden  

Yeah sorry, should have specified. Surprised he didn’t get an Obit given he was credited with so many TV themes, worked with so many big names and was named every week for years on name that tune. 

As requested in the DDP thread, @Predictor has been removed from this pool, including the list of teams on Page 1, the scoreboard on Page 1, and the most recent leaderboard posted on this page. Should they change their mind and wish to return, they will be welcomed back with open arms.

Thanks @Predictor for being part of this strange group, and I hope you find peace with yourself soon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 04/04/2022 at 22:51, An Fear Beag said:

FFS- the Reaper is so inconsiderate at times. I swear he just waits for an update before cutting a swathe through the picks :angry:

And just to prove my point, Nehemiah Persoff croaked it the day after I posted this, to be followed 24hrs later by Tom Smith :rant:

The deaths have been noted, but you are still not getting an updated scoreboard!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

See, I dislike the "harass deadpool hosts about publicly known picks" but since you asked, Jill Knight and Nehemiah Persoff are both dead as a doornail now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, msc said:

See, I dislike the "harass deadpool hosts about publicly known picks" but since you asked, Jill Knight and Nehemiah Persoff are both dead as a doornail now.

Thanks msc. Jill Knight is the sort of relatively big name whose death would be immediately obvious to anyone in the UK who follows the news. However to anyone outside the UK (which I am), she would easily slip under the radar, were it not for this fine site. She definitely would not have stood out as a hit in a months time when I go to update the scores. So feel free to notify me of the Jill Knight's of this world, but you are ok for the really famous Pele's and Queens, and even for the "famous in deadpool circles for being on everyone's teams" Frank Field and George Perez types. 

However, since I mentioned Nehemiah Persoff two posts above yours, then :clivedunn:

• Like 1