An Fear Beag

HARES DEATH POOL 2022

I had Bernard Cribbins and he's now died. BBC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Indeed he is, and he puts you up into 5th place.

Death Impends (1094 points) 8 hits

[Art Rupe, Carleton Carpenter, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Monty Normal, Nehemiah Persoff]

Wormfarmer (1015 points) 10 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Susie Steiner]

Guy From Future (936 points) 6 hits

[James Caan, Jean-Louis Trintignant, June Brown, Norman Mineta, Pedro Ferrandiz, Susie Steiner]

Wannamaker (898 points) 7 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Russell Bishop, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Vic Elford]

Gcreptile (893 points) 8 hits

[David West, Jason Di Tulio, Jonathon Atherton, Kane Tanaka, Pastelle Le Blanc, Pau Riba, Paul Dear, Silas Alexander]

• Like 1

Nichelle Nichols, one of my picks, reportedly died 30 Jul 2022, Adding 210 points or close to it, to my total.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pat Caroll and Judith Durham are two hits for me here bringing my tally up to six

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There has been somewhat of a flurry of activity in this pool over the past couple of weeks, shaking up both the top and bottom of the leaderboard, so its time for a quick update.

The following hits have been noted - as always, let me know if I have missed some more obscure ones.

16th July: Josefine Ollman

28th July: Bernard Cribbins

28th July: Jason Di Tullio

30th July: Nichelle Nichols

30th July: Pat Carroll

5th August: Judith Durham

8th August: Olivia Newton-John

9th August: Raymond Briggs

@Joey Russ becomes the third player to hit the 1000 point mark, and moves up into second place behind leader @Death Impends. ZZZ , the team of popular picks, moves into 4th place on the back of 9 players having selected Olivia Newton-John, while @Thatcher makes up the rest of a new look Top-5

Death Impends (1094 points) 8 hits

[Art Rupe, Carleton Carpenter, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Monty Normal, Nehemiah Persoff]

Joey Russ (1065 points) 8 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

Wormfarmer (1015 points) 10 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Susie Steiner]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (984 points) 8 hits

[Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

Thatcher (972 points) 6 hits

[Billy Bingham, Geoffrey Howlett, George Perez, Lester Piggott, Pat Carroll, Raymond Briggs]

@Dying Probably and @etib80 both secure their first hit of the game, both with ONJ, meaning that all competitors have finally left the changing-rooms and are out on the course. @The Old Crem secures a much needed second hit to rise out of the bottom 5, which now looks like this:

Hell (92 points) 1 hit

[June Brown]

Doulton (88 points) 1 hit

[Tom Parker]

Arghton (70 points) 2 hits

[F. Sionil Jose, Rafiq Tarar]

Im Not Hades (32 points) 1 hit

[Monica Vitti]
Sean (14 points) 2 hits

[Robert Durst, Sidney Poitier]

Full updated list is on page 1

• Like 3

Not sure if it’ll just be left and picked up in the next update but Raymond Briggs was a hit for myself and Toast - I see you noted in your update post but don’t think the scoreboards have been updated. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Not sure if it’ll just be left and picked up in the next update but Raymond Briggs was a hit for myself and Toast - I see you noted in your update post but don’t think the scoreboards have been updated. 

Yes Briggs has been noted and the points applied. Your score is correct, but on the scoreboard, I had you down as selecting Olivia Newton-John rather than Raymond Briggs.

Clerical error - the scoreboard will be amended to show the correct pick. 

• Thanks 1

A couple of recent hits have shaken up the leaderboard a little, so it's time for a mini-update.

The following deaths have been noted since the last updated. If any of you little scamps are keeping some other obscure deaths to yourself, now would be a good time to mention them ,as you know how cross I can be when people don't mention them.

10th August: Vesa-Matti Loiri

11th August: Rolf Eden

11th August: Bill Pitman

20th August: Tom Weiskopf

21st August: Michael O'Connor

As @Pedro67 mentioned, they scored a hit with Bill Pitman. More importantly however, Bill was also a pick for current leader @Death Impends who continues to ominously rack up the hits.

Tom Weiskopf's demise, however, has brought the chasing pack back within touching distance of the leader, with @Wormfarmer moving into second place and @gcreptile into third, both within a hit of the leader.

But who is that I see creeping up into fourth position and stalking the leaders like a powerful, sleek, menacing predator? Why its none other than the current champion, An Fear Beag, eager to fight off all pretenders to the crown. 

The new top 5 is as follows:

Death Impends (1316 points) 9 hits

[Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Monty Normal, Nehemiah Persoff]

Wormfarmer (1246 points) 11 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

Gcreptile (1123 points) 9 hits

[David West, Jason Di Tulio, Jonathon Atherton, Kane Tanaka, Pastelle Le Blanc, Pau Riba, Paul Dear, Silas Alexander, Tom Weiskopf]

An Fear Beag (1073 points) 7 hits

[Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Michael O’Connor, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

Joey Russ (1065 points) 8 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

Meanwhile,  at the bottom of the food-chain, @Seanscores a welcome hit to vault out of bottom position. The bottom 5 is now filled with one-hit wonders, led(?) by @ImNotHades

Death By Arsenic (167 points) 1 hit

[Jean-Louis Trintignant]

Famous4Eva (92 points) 1 hit

[June Brown]

Hell (92 points) 1 hit

[June Brown]

Doulton (88 points) 1 hit

[Tom Parker]

Im Not Hades (32 points) 1 hit

[Monica Vitti]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Bill Turnbull died and 8 people got him. BBC
  • Mikhail Gorbachev died and 9 people got him. BBC

As ladyfiona has pointed out, there have been a couple of big-name hits over the past few days, which has shaken up the top of the leaderboard.

28th August: Sammy Chung

30th August: Mikhail Gorbachev

31st August: Bill Turnbull

Both Gorbachev and Turnbull made the team of most popular choices, which ascends into second place. Two players picked both of them, one of whom was moi. As Turnbull was also my Joker, I have ascended into my rightful position at the summit of the leaderboard. However, as regular players of this pool will know, leads in this game are fragile, becoming more so as the year progresses. As the game hots up into the winter months a couple of quick hits, or a joker,  is all it takes for a player to go from middle of the pack to fighting for the title. I will not start practicing my victory speech quite yet! The top 10 is as follows:

An Fear Beag (1798 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull*, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Michael O’Connor, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (1467 points) 10 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

Death Impends (1316 points) 9 hits

[Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Monty Normal, Nehemiah Persoff]

Joey Russ (1306 points) 9 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

Wormfarmer (1246 points) 11 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

Kenny (1198 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Chris Rimmer, Deborah James, Gary Burgess, Olivia Newton-John, Russell Bishop*, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

Wannamaker (1140 points) 8 hits

[Bill Turnbull, George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Russell Bishop, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Vic Elford]

Gcreptile (1123 points) 9 hits

[David West, Jason Di Tulio, Jonathon Atherton, Kane Tanaka, Pastelle Le Blanc, Pau Riba, Paul Dear, Silas Alexander, Tom Weiskopf]

The Old Lady (1004 points) 9 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jana Bennett, Kane Tanaka, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf, Vic Elford]

MariNisia (981 points) 7 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jimmy Lyson, Larry Storch, Mikhail Gorbachev, Sidney Poitier, Vic Elford]

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Does whatever this is count as an obit in this game for Diane Berberian?

That read like one of those bot sites who make up obituaries so I’d say no

Just now, Joey Russ said:

That read like one of those bot sites who make up obituaries so I’d say no

Kind of what I was thinking.  Odd she hasn't even gotten anything local yet.  Just this bot article and the video it references... from some guy whose eyes look in completely opposite directions.

image.png.cfd5e24643bb2fd11b00e74c95d9bad8.png

5 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Does whatever this is count as an obit in this game for Diane Berberian?

No, that will definitely not count. As Joey said, that appears to be a bot site, referencing a Youtube video which would come under the "Social media, personal blogs etc." heading, which is not acceptable. I suspect that it is genuine and that Diane Berberian is dead, in which case something suitable should come up in the next few days. This pool does have a very low bar for obits.

Incidentally, the "guy whose eyes look in completely opposite directions", is Dr. Randy Pierce, CEO of Future in Sight, a charity which provides services for blind and visually impaired people in New Hampshire. Dr. Pierce himself is  blind, so your description of him is in fairly poor taste.

8 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

No, that will definitely not count. As Joey said, that appears to be a bot site, referencing a Youtube video which would come under the "Social media, personal blogs etc." heading, which is not acceptable. I suspect that it is genuine and that Diane Berberian is dead, in which case something suitable should come up in the next few days. This pool does have a very low bar for obits.

Incidentally, the "guy whose eyes look in completely opposite directions", is Dr. Randy Pierce, CEO of Future in Sight, a charity which provides services for blind and visually impaired people in New Hampshire. Dr. Pierce himself is  blind, so your description of him is in fairly poor taste.

Not as if he's going to see it though? :tomatododge:

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

18 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Makes sense, and I certainly didn't research beyond the picture before posting.  That said, can any of us competing in death pools call each other out for poor taste?

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 01:24, Salmon Mousse said:

Makes sense, and I certainly didn't research beyond the picture before posting.  That said, can any of us competing in death pools call each other out for poor taste?

That's a fair point. Reading through my post again, it comes across as FAR more judgemental than it ought to have been - sorry about that.  (Note to self - don't post in the  early morning, when in a grumpy mood due to lack of sleep).  

Taste is completely subjective in any case. Personally, I don't find dead-pooling to be in bad taste at all. In the "real world", people are always talking about someone who are sick and dying, and predicting when they will die ("I say he'll be gone by Christmas"). Dead-pooling is just an extension of that, but even less morbid as we are usually talking about people we don't  know. To me, most of the time we are just noting peoples death and celebrating their lives. Since joining this site, I've read about the fascinating lives of so many people that I never would have heard of otherwise. 

• Like 6

Still no further news on the fate of Diane Berberian, but we do have the death of a couple of old dears to shake things up a little. Ancient actress Marsha Hunt left the screen on September 7th, and the following day, the QEII sank. Apparently this is the most significant death in the history of the world, ever. What I do know is that it is significant in this pool, which let's face it, is all that matters. @Wormfarmerhad a Hunt and Queenie double, to move ominously into second place, and with a Joker still to be played, is possibly the favourite to win at this stage. Her Maj's global popularity was matched in this pool, and her place on the crowdsourced ZZZ team, keeps that team up in third. As usual @Death Impendsis not too far behind, with Marsha keeping keeping her in the Hunt in 4th. 

@etib80 and Famous4Eva  pick up their second hit of the game, to exit the bottom 5, where @Doultonnow props up the field.

September 7th - Marsha Hunt

September 8th - Queen Elizabeth II

Top 5 is as follows, full scoreboard is on page 1:

An Fear Beag (1798 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull*, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Michael O’Connor, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

Wormfarmer (1745points) 13 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Marsha Hunt, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (1717 points) 11 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

Death Impends (1565 points) 10 hits

[Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Marsha Hunt, Monty Norman, Nehemiah Persoff]

Joey Russ (1306 points) 9 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

• Like 1