An Fear Beag

HARES DEATH POOL 2022

Shame but a relief for her family I suppose. I had her too.

• Like 1

Loretta Lynn is a hit for three people. BBC

• Like 2

Jack Thomas a hit for me... but still no sign of an obit for Berberian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the death of my continuous Hares pool pick, Peter Tobin, I have what can only be called my most sought-after hit in my deadpooling history.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2022 at 21:57, Salmon Mousse said:

Jack Thomas a hit for me... but still no sign of an obit for Berberian

Curiously, Jack Thomas would have received a DDP QO because of an australian radio host eulogizing him:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11285153/Sydney-radio-host-2GBs-Ben-Fordham-breaks-Boston-Globes-Jack-Thomass-death.html

• Like 3

We are now gone past the 3/4 mark in the year, so we are the point where this game starts to get more interesting. 2 or 3 quick hits, or a well-played Joker, and suddenly a player who was seemingly out of it can suddenly leap into contention. To quote NFL Redzone, we are at the witching hour, where wins become losses, and losses become wins.

Let's have an update, as we begin the final quarter.

One unreported death to kick off with as actress Virginia Patton died on 18th August to give @Famous6Evaa well-needed hit.

The following have also been hits since the last update:

14th September: Irene Papas

1st October: Antonio Inoki

1st October: Jack Thomas

2nd October: Sacheen Littlefeather

4th October: Loretta Lynn

8th October: PeterTobin

But what does it all mean? Well, to underscore my point, @John Key and @msc have both cashed in October Jokers to enter the top 10 in 6th and 9th respectively.  @WhoamI had a third September hit to ascend into 5th place. However, the real story of this update comes at the very summit of the leaderboard, where @Death Impends has retaken the lead. A very familiar position and one which she will not relinquish easily.

So, I have packed away the victory bunting and cancelled the open-topped bus for now. Can @Wormfarmeror I get another hit to make this a proper ding-dong battle? Or will someone string together a run of hits to streak out of the pack? Let's see what winter brings!

Here is the top 10 - full scoreboard is on page 1.

Death Impends (1838 points) 11 hits

[Antonio Inoki, Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Marsha Hunt, Monty Norman, Nehemiah Persoff]

An Fear Beag (1798 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull*, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Michael O’Connor, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

Wormfarmer (1745points) 13 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Marsha Hunt, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf] 

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (1717 points) 11 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

WhoamI (1498 points) 6 hits

[Irene Papas, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Marsha Hunt, Mikhail Gorbachev*, Nehemiah Persoff, Queen Elizabeth II]

John Key (1322 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Christos Sartzetakis, Estelle Harris, Gary Burgess, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Lata Mangeshkar, Mwai Kibaki, Sacheen Littlefeather*, Tom Smith]

Joey Russ (1306 points) 9 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

The Old Lady (1253 points) 10 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jana Bennett, Kane Tanaka, Marsha Hunt, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf, Vic Elford]

MSC (1205 points) 5 hits

[James Lovelock, Jill Knight, Nehemiah Persoff, Peter Tobin*, Queen Elizabeth II]

Kenny (1198 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Chris Rimmer, Deborah James, Gary Burgess, Olivia Newton-John, Russell Bishop*, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

• Like 3

Angela Landsbury gone - 5 people had her

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Angela Landsbury gone - 5 people had her

Ah, so that's how she died.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have had a minor flurry of hits over the past 10 days, so it's time for an update. The following have all left the stage/field/court (delete as appropriate) since the last update.

11th October: Angela Lansbury

14th October: Ralf Wolter

19th October: Charley Trippi

20th October: Tony Brown

20th October: Tsin Ting

For the most part, this means a minor reshuffling of the deckchairs on the sinking ship that is the bottom half of the leaderboard. However, Angela Lansbury was a big hit for @msc to lift them up into 6th place, and with only 6 names down, they have slowly crept into a position to challenge.

Of greater importance was the demise of Charley Trippi. He was only picked by two teams. One happened to be the leader @Death Impends who breaks the 2000 point barrier and stretches her lead over moi to 2 hits (for now). However, that lead is still precarious as Trippi was also selected by third-place @Wormfarmer who also breaks the 2000 point barrier to lurk in second place, and just one hit from the summit.

A long way to go in this game, and no doubt a few twists and turns along the way. Stay tuned!

The top 10 is as follows, full leaderboard as always is on page 1:

Death Impends (2129 points) 13 hits

[Antonio Inoki, Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, Harley Trippi, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Marsha Hunt, Monty Norman, Nehemiah Persoff]

Wormfarmer (2036 points) 14 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Charley Trippi, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Marsha Hunt, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

[Bill Turnbull*, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Michael O’Connor, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (1717 points) 11 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

[Irene Papas, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Marsha Hunt, Mikhail Gorbachev*, Nehemiah Persoff, Queen Elizabeth II]

MSC (1488 points) 6 hits

[Angela Lansbury, James Lovelock, Jill Knight, Nehemiah Persoff, Peter Tobin*, Queen Elizabeth II]

[Bill Turnbull, Christos Sartzetakis, Estelle Harris, Gary Burgess, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Lata Mangeshkar, Mwai Kibaki, Sacheen Littlefeather*, Tom Smith]

Joey Russ (1306 points) 9 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

The Old Lady (1253 points) 10 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jana Bennett, Kane Tanaka, Marsha Hunt, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf, Vic Elford]

Kenny (1198 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Chris Rimmer, Deborah James, Gary Burgess, Olivia Newton-John, Russell Bishop*, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf

• Like 1

12 people had Jerry Lee Lewis. BBC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

12 people had Jerry Lee Lewis. BBC.

But is he really dead! We have had reports saying he is dead & then reports saying it was a hoax??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WhoamI said:

But is he really dead! We have had reports saying he is dead & then reports saying it was a hoax??

It was a hoax when it was announced on Wednesday. The death announced today is legitimate

• Like 2

Just the two deaths to note since the last update (unless you guys are hiding a few from me!)

23rd October: Marian Fuks

28th October: Jerry Lee Lewis

However, since The Real Killer has taken out wannabe Jerry Lee Lewis, that means a minor shake-up to the top-10. @Joey Russ and @theoldlady move up into 5th and 6th places respectively, with @wannamaker rising to 9th. All 3 have now moved into contention as they are within two hits of the leader. Not a bad place to be in this pool entering November.

ZZZ, the team of most popular picks has retaken a position on the podium in 3rd.

At the bottom, @DeathByArsenicmanages to get a second hit of the year, to rise to the lofty position of 4th last, with @Doulton the only one left on a solo hit, and still propping up the field.

Here is the top-10, full scoreboard as always is on page 1.

Death Impends (2129 points) 13 hits

[Antonio Inoki, Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, Harley Trippi, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Marsha Hunt, Monty Norman, Nehemiah Persoff]

Wormfarmer (2036 points) 14 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Charley Trippi, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Luis Echeverria, Marsha Hunt, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (2017 points) 12 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

Joey Russ (1606 points) 10 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

The Old Lady (1553 points) 11 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jana Bennett, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Marsha Hunt, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf, Vic Elford]

MSC (1488 points) 6 hits

[Angela Lansbury, James Lovelock, Jill Knight, Nehemiah Persoff, Peter Tobin*, Queen Elizabeth II]

Wannamaker (1440 points) 9 hits

[Bill Turnbull, George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Russell Bishop, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Vic Elford]

• Like 3

Quite a few people had Leslie Phillips including myself for once. BBC

The aforementioned was my joker . . . . could we have a leader change??  I'd enjoy being out front even for a little while . . . . .

2 minutes ago, Wormfarmer said:

The aforementioned was my joker . . . . could we have a leader change??  I'd enjoy being out front even for a little while . . . . .

We certainly could   ........ but I'm keeping you in suspense ;)

• Haha 1

I have had another of my picks bite the dust. Frank Prihoda died on the 10th Nov 2022, aged 101.

Link

https://www.olympedia.org/athletes/96586

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's probably time to put Wormfarmer out of their misery - I can sense their desperation to be top of a pile- any pile!

This week has seen a small, but very important, flurry of hits. The following deaths have been noted - if there have been any more, then you have only yourselves to blame for not telling me.

5th November: Bill Treacher

7th November: Leslie Phillips

8th November: David Butler

10th November: Frank Prihoda

The top 4 teams all made the correct assumption that Leslie Phillips was not immortal after all. However, that was not enough for leader @Death Impendsto hold onto the top position, as second place @Wormfarmerjokered Phillips to leapfrog into the lead. But have they made their move too soon? It's not quite mid-November, and this pool loves to throw out a December drama or two.

The other big winner was @mscwho selected both Phillips and expert-on-snake-elections Butler to move ominously into 4th position. Only 2 hits behind, and with only 8 picks down, are they in pole position to make a late charge for glory? Also moving up is WhoamI whose selection of Australian skier (surely some mistake) Prihoda moves them into sixth. However, they are still 3 picks behind the leader so if they are going to make a move, they would want to hurry up about doing it.

Only 1 of the top 7 teams are still to play the Joker. "Crowdsourced" team ZZZ still sits on a Pele Joker - could the excitement of the impending World Cup cause a complete-body-dysfunction and make us all winners?

Top 10 is as follows; full leaderboard as always is on page 1. 

Wormfarmer (2656 points) 15 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Charley Trippi, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Leslie Phillips*, Luis Echeverria, Marsha Hunt, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

Death Impends (2439 points) 14 hits

[Antonio Inoki, Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, Harley Trippi, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Leslie Phillips, Marsha Hunt, Monty Norman, Nehemiah Persoff]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (2327 points) 13 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Leslie Phillips, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

MSC (2109 points) 8 hits

[Angela Lansbury, David Butler, James Lovelock, Jill Knight, Leslie Phillips, Nehemiah Persoff, Peter Tobin*, Queen Elizabeth II]

An Fear Beag (2108 points) 10 hits

[Bill Turnbull*, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Leslie Phillips, Michael O’Connor, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf]

WhoamI (1811 points) 7 hits

[Frank Prihoda, Irene Papas, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Marsha Hunt, Mikhail Gorbachev*, Nehemiah Persoff, Queen Elizabeth II]

Joey Russ (1606 points) 10 hits

[George Perez*, James Lovelock, Jana Bennett, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, Tom Parker]

The Old Lady (1553 points) 11 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jana Bennett, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Marsha Hunt, Olivia Newton-John, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf, Vic Elford]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (1496 points) 6 hits

[Frank Williams, Josefine Ollman, Kane Tanaka, Leslie Phillips*, Marian Fuks, Tom Smith]

TQR (1442 points) 8 hits

[Gary Burgess, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Leslie Phillips, Peter Tobin, Susie Steiner, Tom Smith]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

I don't usually go to the trouble of an update for just 2 hits, especially when they are uniques. But these are biggies (and one of them is mine!)

14th November: Vicky Phelan

16th November: Robert Clary

Phelan's death lifted me back up into 3rd place, and just one hit away from the leader @Wormfarmer. However, there was more drama 2 days later when Clary passed, to propel @Death Impends back into the top spot, a fact that, as you see, she was only too happy to point out:lol:. She may be claiming to have eased off dead-pooling, but the competitive edge remains!

So Wormfarmer's brief stint at the top comes to an end. Hope they enjoyed it! It's still early days in this pool - lots of time for a few more changes at the top. Another hit for wormfarmer will flip the top 2 again. I am currently 2 hits behind, but in a couple of weeks that drops down to 1 hit again.  Can anyone else string a couple of results together to mount a late charge?

Top 5 is as follows:

Death Impends (2758 points) 15 hits

[Antonio Inoki, Art Rupe, Bill Pitman, Carleton Carpenter, Charley Trippi, George Perez, Joe Krush, Kane Tanaka, Larry Storch*, Leslie Phillips, Marsha Hunt, Monty Norman, Nehemiah Persoff, Robert Clary]

Worm farmer (2656 points) 15 hits

[Art Rupe, Boris Pahor, Charley Trippi, Everett Lee, Francis Jackson, Gail Halvorsen, Gary Burgess, Guy Lafleur, James Lovelock, Leslie Phillips*, Luis Echeverria, Marsha Hunt, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Weiskopf]

An Fear Beag (2425 points) 11 hits

[Bill Turnbull*, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Kane Tanaka, Leslie Phillips, Michael O’Connor, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mollie Walker, Olivia Newton-John, Tom Smith, Tom Weiskopf, Vicky Phelan]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (2327 points) 13 hits

[Bill Turnbull, Gary Burgess, George Perez, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kane Tanaka, Leslie Phillips, Mikhail Gorbachev, Olivia Newton-John, Queen Elizabeth II, Susie Steiner, Tom Parker, Tom Smith]

MSC (2109 points) 8 hits

[Angela Lansbury, David Butler, James Lovelock, Jill Knight, Leslie Phillips, Nehemiah Persoff, Peter Tobin*, Queen Elizabeth II]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doddie Weir is my joker ! Too far back to make a difference, but nice anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jiang Zemin is a very welcome late hit for my team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Book said:

Jiang Zemin is a very welcome late hit for my team.

And an even more welcome hit for mine :D

• Like 1