The Old Crem

Who Should Make the Deathlist in 2022?

Noticed this years version of the thread had not been opened yet and It feels time to launch it. 

Some of the people I think should be considered for a debut.

Glynis Johns 

Julie Goodyear 

Jean Marsh

Michael Gambon

Duchess of Kent

Duke of Kent 

George Alagiah
Bill Turnbull

Pele 

Frank Field 

For a return

Liza Minnelli 

Jerry Lee Lewis. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

After reading the below article, I was even more convinced Jean-Louis Trintignant should be a lock in for the 2022 DL. His wife admits he is doing badly, he refuses to take chemotherapy for his cancer from years ago, his won’t adapt to treat his diabetes, he cannot walk well and his sight is fading. 

https://news.in-24.com/lifestyle/celebrities/194358.html

And being one of France’s most famous celebrities, it is almost guaranteed that he will get a BBC obit, a Guardian obit, a Daily Mail obit etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

After reading the below article, I was even more convinced Jean-Louis Trintignant should be a lock in for the 2022 DL. His wife admits he is doing badly, he refuses to take chemotherapy for his cancer from years ago, his won’t adapt to treat his diabetes, he cannot walk well and his sight is fading. 

https://news.in-24.com/lifestyle/celebrities/194358.html

And being one of France’s most famous celebrities, it is almost guaranteed that he will get a BBC obit, a Guardian obit, a Daily Mail obit etc...

He played a character based on Christos Sartzetakis in Z. Imagine if they go on the same day or something. 

• Like 1

That would do to even out missing Belmondo. I had him on my last year's longlist but didn't take him in the end either :/

What exactly is the point of this thread when we already have the Ideas & Possibilities one?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TQR said:

What exactly is the point of this thread when we already have the Ideas & Possibilities one?

Agreed.

Whether we’re presenting ideas for the DL or our own deadpooling teams, they belong in the same Ideas and Possibilities thread.

This should be deleted and merged.

42 minutes ago, TQR said:

Pretty sure the committee doesn’t look at the ideas and possibilities thread. 

I tend to see that thread as more of a catch all for dead pooling in general, whereas the who should make the Deathlist thread is actually focused on names that should make the Deathlist

Meh, its a harmless tradition, even if it speaks for the forum delusion that anything said here makes any difference to the Committee.

On that note, Gorba-fucking-chev FFS.

:D

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

I tend to see that thread as more of a catch all for dead pooling in general, whereas the who should make the Deathlist thread is actually focused on names that should make the Deathlist

I see where you’re coming from, but most of the people mentioned have their own threads anyway, and threads like this one are just invitations for a) TOC-level impertinence, b) The well-trodden ground of who is/isn’t ‘deathlisty’ and c) Delusions that the cmme give a shiny shit what people think.

• Like 2

One more vote for Nigel Lawson, I can feel it.

Also, Gina Lollobrigida.

I know the committee wants to go for James Baker soon, but it might be too early? Wait for Kissinger's death.

Another vote for Gorbachev , but kudos for avoiding him this year.

Sandra Day O'Connor

Pelé

Silvio Berlusconi

Desmond Tutu (!)

• Like 1

Desmond Tutu

Gorbachev

Jiang Zemin

Pelé

Frank Field

Larry Storch

Jerry Lee Lewis

Norman Tebbit

Jean-Louis Trintignant

James Lovelock (finally)

Less DL, but still good picks:

Vicente Fernanadez (most popular living Mexican singer)

Christos Sartzetakis (much more than a run-of-the-mill president)

Mwai Kibaki (very old and frail, arap Moi was a hit before him)

Alberto Fujimori (Peruvian dictator and has been circling the drain for so much)

Cheng-ning Yang (will never be picked, but likely the most important living physicist from the last century and recently gone downhill)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drol said:

Desmond Tutu

Gorbachev

Jiang Zemin

Pelé

Frank Field

Jerry Lee Lewis

Norman Tebbit

James Lovelock (finally)

I think all of these are solid DL names but to focus in, based on COP and the recently focus on climate, this might be Lovelock's best chance to make the DL.

Also, the Cmme have a run of their oldest new picks dying, and there aren't many other decent DLy 1920-23 newcomers. What they going to do? Actually pick Glynis Johns?

56 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Pretty sure the “committee” don’t look at either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I suspect some members do- or at least research people. Would they have heard of the poor health of Bill Gates Snr or Genesis P-Orridge without research?

1 hour ago, msc said:

Meh, its a harmless tradition, even if it speaks for the forum delusion that anything said here makes any difference to the Committee.

On that note, Gorba-fucking-chev FFS.

I forgot he wasn’t on this year’s list. 1000% must return. 

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I mean, it’s a fool game to think that they listen to the forum most of the time but they do seem to throw a bone to the forum every now and then. I mean, remember when Errol Christie and Gord Downie snuck onto the list? Would never have happened if they didn’t look at the thread. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine the Committee NOT looking into the forum. However, I can imagine what they do with the information found there - mostly nothing! :lol:

They obviously listen to the masses of people when they suggest putting the perfectly healthy Dick van Dyke right at the top of the list every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Book said:

I can't imagine the Committee NOT looking into the forum. However, I can imagine what they do with the information found there - mostly nothing! :lol:

You know how it is. They're on their 11th whisky, they need to get a list up for the hell of it, ideas are running short. "Might as well try the forum" says Grim, and the rest shudder. He logs in, finds the ideas thread, looks at the first new post and screams.

"What's up?" says Welshman, concerned.

"It's a 500 name list by Sean!"

"Oh fuck that, let's just pick Dick Van Dyke and have another round."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

keep

• White

• DVD

• Dole 

• Lansburry

• Barker 

• Greenspan

• Kissinger

• J. Carter

• Leslie Phillips 

• Delors 

• Bennett

• R. Carter 

• Elizabeth II

• Belafonte

• Newhart

• The Pope 

• Marcos 

• Yoko Ono

• Nolan

• Woodward

• Brooks

• Le Pen

• Poitier

• Castro

• Mcgowan 

bring back

• Gorbachev 

• Desmond Tutu

• Attenborough ?

• Cleo Laine

• Louis Farrakhan

• Sandy Gall

• Jerry Lee Lewis 

• and maybe Nigel Lawson ?

add

• Nichelle Nichols

• Trintignant

• Sandra Day O'Connor 

• Pierre Soulages

• Eva Marie Saint 

• Buzz Aldrin 

• Tippi Hedren

• Noam Chomsky

• Robert Solow

• Frank Field 

• Milan Kundera

• Iris Apfel

• Monica Vitti

• Lollobrigida 

• Giorgio Napolitano

• Jiang Zeming

• Pelé 

• and maybe Berry Gordy, Gena Rowlands, Georges Soros or Liz Sheridan 

this is how I would imagine the perfect deathlist and I think it could be quite productive

• Like 2

Jerry Lee Lewis, Kris Kristofferson, Pele, Desmond Tutu, Frank Field, George Alagiah, Jiang Zemin, Giorgio Napolitano, Milos Zeman, Marianne Faithfull, Monica Vitti, Norman Tebbit, Norman Lear 

• Like 2

Do what you want with the current names; the list is probably already finalized, but I offer the following for consideration:

Pele (81) Footballer: Colorectal Cancer, everyone will pick him.

Rick Davies (77) Supertramp Singer: Multiple myeloma for 7 years, usually 4-5 year prognosis.

Marianne Faithfull (75) Singer: Hep-C, drug abuser, previous cancer bout, still recovering from COVID and pneumonia a year later.

Harry Reid (82) Politician: frail, wheelchair-bound, in remission for pancreatic cancer.

Robert Munsch (76) Author: Previously battled alcoholism and a cocaine addiction (and suffered a stroke in 2008) now suffers dementia.

Bill Connolly (79) Comedian: Parkinson’s Disease since 2013; advancement of which forced his retirement. Recently speculated he doesn’t have long.

Kathy Griffin (61) Comedienne: Undergoing lung cancer treatment. Is now cancer-free, congrats to her!

Stanley Tucci (61) Actor: Treatment for oral cancer is still ongoing but is going well; for anyone who wants to take a chance.

Stephen Pearcy (65) Ratt Singer: Liver Cancer and Hepatitis; multiple Platinum+ albums, but not sure how UK obit-worthy.

For consideration by other forum members with less limitations on fame in their pools:

Joe Exotic (58) Tiger King: Aggressive prostate cancer, spread to pelvis ‘will not seek treatment’

Mike Bossy (65) Hall-of-fame hockey player: Lung cancer

Ricou Browning (92) Director, actor, stuntman: Reportedly in very poor health

Willie Mays (91) Hall-of-Fame baseball player: Old and frail… I assume the only reasons Joe DiMaggio was previously included on the list was he dated Marilyn Monroe and was mentioned in popular songs, but otherwise no one at DL HQ knows any other baseball players.

Guy Lafleur (65) Hall-of-fame hockey player: Lung Cancer (diagnosed while undergoing quadruple bypass surgery)

Richard Williams (80) Tennis coach, the guy Will Smith plays in that movie: In poor health, being taken care of by his son.

Wendy Williams (57) Talk Show Host, Broadcaster: Plethora of health issues keeping her from returning to TV; looking for full-time replacement on her show.

Shintaro Tsuji (94) Businessman, founder of Hello Kitty (Sanrio): Old, stepped down from company last year.

Bobby Knight (81) Basketball coach: Super frail at his last public appearance, reportedly in failing health since February 2019.

Donald Sterling (87) Billionaire, Former LA Clippers owner, Racist: Ongoing treatment for prostate cancer, Alzheimer’s since 2014.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wildstorm said:

Rick Davies (77) Supertramp Singer: Multiple myeloma for 7 years, usually 4-5 year prognosis.

I agree, this is a very sound suggestion. Y’all should pick him for 2022. 

• Haha 4