The Old Crem

Who Should Make the Deathlist in 2022?

If you're worried about whether the Deathlist committee will take your suggestions seriously, rest assured they won't.

However over at The Alternative Deathlist we will, with 38 names still needed for next year and many forum favourites already locked in. 

Also for god sake put Rex Williams or Ray Reardon on the list next year now Willie Thorne's dead 

• Like 2

My suggestions for the committee :

Keep:

Jimmy Carter

Leslie Phillips

Bob Barker

Betty White

Henry Kissinger

Angela Lansbury

Dick Van Dyke

Stanley Baxter

Tony Bennett

Prunella Scales

Pope Benedict

Harry Belafonte

Sidney Poitier

Barbara Walters

Shannen Doherty

Linda Nolan

Joanne Woodward

Vanessa Redgrave

Shane MacGowan 

Bernard Cribbins

Jacques Delors

Queen Elizabeth II

June Brown

Jean Marie Le Pen

Yoko Ono

Bring back:

Desmond Tutu

Sandy Gall

Cleo Laine

Mikhail Gorbachev

Nigel Lawson

Jerry Lee Lewis

Liza Minelli

Paul Gascoigne

Ozzy Osbourne

Jake the Snake Roberts

David Attenborough

New entries:

George Alagiah

Bill Turnbull

Superstar Billy Graham

Milos Zemen

Jean Louis-Trintingnant

Doddie Weir

Tom Parker

Robert Durst

Russell Bishop

Jacob Zuma

Frank Field

Rob Burrow

Stan Bowles

Bobby Charlton

• Like 3

How would you feel about permanently dedicating the 50th spot to a notable centenarian just as Tom Moore this year, in order to secure the last year’s tradition of a 50th hit ? I feel like it would be a great way to have at least one centenarian and I love this kind of tradition. Maybe Philippe de Gaulle or James Lovelock for example

• Like 1

Might as well suggest Frankie Valli. He’s both pretty ill and is such a committee name, such a perfect match imo

• Like 3

Maybe worth considering Dennis Skinner who has been uncharacteristically quiet for over 2 years now and will be 90 in six weeks time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Maybe worth considering Dennis Skinner who has been uncharacteristically quiet for over 2 years now and will be 90 in six weeks time.

Excellent suggestion 

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 15:18, gcreptile said:

One more vote for Nigel Lawson, I can feel it.

Also, Gina Lollobrigida.

I know the committee wants to go for James Baker soon, but it might be too early? Wait for Kissinger's death.

Another vote for Gorbachev , but kudos for avoiding him this year.

Sandra Day O'Connor

Pelé

Silvio Berlusconi

Desmond Tutu (!)

R.I.P. Desmond Tutu

• Like 1

Pelé, Gorbachev, Jerry Lee Lewis and Jiang Zemin should be all locks.

• Like 5

Revised my list to drop Elizabeth II – her Christmas message and the sheer extensiveness of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations for February–June 2022 and beyond weakens her credibility as a pick IMO.

I've added Frankie Valli instead, as it sounds like he's very touch and go/potentially close to the end.

Spoiler

KEEP (20)
Angela Lansbury (frail, seldom seen now and 97 next year)
Betty White (frail, 100 in January)
Bob Barker (99 next year, frail, seldom heard from now, numerous hospitalisations)
Henry Kissinger (loose keep... he's still active, though frail(ish). Could go on for another 2 years or could go in 2 months)
June Brown (95 next year, lifelong smoker, now retired and gone quiet as of recent)
Jimmy Carter (frail, occasional hospitalisations, imagine he will go next year)
Leslie Phillips (strong keep... how is he still alive?!)
Prunella Scales (had dementia for years now and the most recent update suggests she has max 1-2 years left)
Tony Bennett (strong keep... Alzheimer's + looked fucked in that August appearance, I think he'll just pass in his sleep soon enough)
Rosalynn Carter (looks frail enough and health issues like her husband)
Harry Belafonte (loose keep, still in the public eye but noticeably very frail now)
Bob Newhart (ditto the Belafonte comment, still alive but looks frail, I think he may do an Ed Asner and just go suddenly)
Barbara Walters (seriously ill for years, now totally out of public view)
Pope Benedict XVI (frail, seldom seen in public and 95 next year, the only other "way too big to drop" name other than Carter and QEII)
Linda Nolan (terminal cancer, recent reports suggest she's nearing the end now)
Joanne Woodward (Alzheimer's for years and not seen in the public eye in a long time)
Sidney Poitier (no longer seen in public, we're led to believe he's very frail and he's 95 next year)
Stanley Baxter (turning 96, seldom seen nowadays, noticeably frail in the last few pics of him)
Shane MacGowan (loose keep, he just looks so fucked, like a small cold could finish him off)
Shannen Doherty (terminal cancer, now well surpassed her expectancy, I think it will catch up with her soon enough)

DROP (19)
Queen Elizabeth II (loose drop, although she is a "too big to drop" type, she looked fine in her Christmas message and I can't imagine she will trouble us in 2022)
Dick Van Dyke (still doing sit ups and running at 96, there are stronger nonagenarian options)
Akihito (looks fine in recent pics, still working)
Loretta Lynn (going on that recent video, looks ok, seems to have recovered the best one can from a big stroke)
Alan Greenspan (looks ok, not much change in that recent video I posted, again there are stronger nonagenarian options)
Jacques Delors (loose drop, cancelled an event recently due to health but looks ok in a recent vid... too unpredictable)
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (gave a recent public address, looked ok)
David Crosby (if you just Google him you can find loads of recent interviews, inc. videos, he looks ok)
Dick Cheney (appeared in the recent 9/11 doc in the BBC and at Dole's funeral, looked fine)
Imelda Marcos (loose drop, looks ok in recent public pic despite being in a wheelchair, we just don't know enough)
Yoko Ono (loose drop, looks ok, definitely slowing and getting frail but could go on for a few years yet)
Mel Brooks (loose drop, still active and working and giving interviews, there are stronger nonagenarian options)
Willie Nelson (loose drop, performing the other week and looks ok)
Betty Boothroyd (I just watched a video of her from her office the other week, looks ok and still working)
Jean-Marie Le Pen (loose drop, seems to still be active and doing video interviews despite the health fears several years ago)
Raul Castro (loose drop, still making the odd public appearance and looks ok)
Burt Bacharach (frail(ish) and seldom seen but we just don't know enough to give him a place)
Bernard Cribbins (we're told he's doing "fine", ditto the above reason – we don't know enough)
Vanessa Redgrave (loose drop, some whispers about her health but not enough concrete info to go on)

ADD (30)
Frank Williams (91, obese, wheelchair bound and looks frail)
Sidney Cooke (95, strokes and heart attacks galore, another "how is he still alive?" name)
Katharine Jackson (wheelchair bound, serious stroke, frail and hospitalisations, ditto how is she still alive?)
Tim Curry (probably my most controversial pick but hear me out – totally fucked from that major stroke and still indulging in his vices that likely caused it e.g. smoking, his physical and mental state is so bad I would expect him to have a recurring stroke to finish him off)
Lord Norman Tebbit (from seeing him in the flesh myself this summer I can tell you he won't see 2023)
Philippe de Gaulle (100 in 2 weeks time, we're told too ill to make public appearances, an easy hit)
Winnie Ewing (Alzheimer's for years, ppl are shocked she's still alive)
Monica Vitti (Alzheimer's for decades, surely can't see through another year)
Gail Halvorsen (102 next year, frail and miraculously survived a COVID infection by the sounds)
Tom Smith (terminal cancer that's spread all over his body)
Tom Parker (terminal brain cancer, good news recently but like Doherty, I think it will catch up quite quickly)
Mikhail Gorbachev (frail, seldom seen in public, add him to the small "too big to miss" club)
Jerry Lee Lewis (very frail, can barely string a sentence together)
Olivia Newton-John (terminal cancer, quieter as of recent...)
James Whale (terminal cancer, looks like a burnt lasagne, he's now outlived his prognosis, can't see him getting to 2023)
George Alagiah (terminal cancer, seems close to the end now)
Bill Turnbull (ditto Alagiah)
Jean-Louis Trintignant (turning 92, still has cancer)
Jimmy Millar (dementia for years, death hoax this year which was very believable at the time as he's been expected to go for a while now)
Frank Field (terminal cancer and in hospice care)
Sandra Day O'Connor (Alzheimer's for years, never seen in public)
Superstar Billy Graham (yet more recent hospitalisations, years of ill health, another how is he still alive type)
Pele (cancer, very frail, inconsistent statements from family suggest they downplayed it when the truth seems that he's dying)
Liza Minnelli (recently disappeared from public eye, rumours she's near the end)
Sir Bobby Charlton (dementia, didn't attend his own brother's funeral last year due to ill health)
James Watson (very frail, already looks like a corpse)
Sir Michael Gambon (noticeably absent from public eye recently, rumours of ill health, not attending the Harry Potter cast reunion)
Larry Storch (99 next year, has looked very frail for years, another how is he still alive type)
Glynis Johns (99 next year, been in a care home for years)
Frankie Valli (frail, keeps cancelling gigs and seems like he was close to the end in 2021 with a 4 month stint of pneumonia)

• Like 1

Not Bishop Tutu.

Frank Field, Pele, Silvio Berlusconi, David graham

• Thanks 1

Less than 36 hours to go.

Here's my stance on some potential returnees and newcomers.

Returnees

Expected: Mikhail Gorbachev

Long Overdue: Jerry Lee Lewis

Would Be Pleasantly Surprised to See: Cleo Laine, Rex Williams, Nigel Lawson

Newcomers

Expected: Pele, Frank Field

Long Overdue: Glynis Johns

Would Be Pleasantly Surprised to See: Jiang Zemin, Tom Lehrer, Marion Ross, Buzz Aldrin

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 10:23, wildstorm said:

Harry Reid (82) Politician: frail, wheelchair-bound, in remission for pancreatic cancer.

i suppose i should offer up a substitution;

John Goodenough (99): co-inventor of lithium-ion batteries, Nobel laureate: increased frailty in most recent interview, turns 100 next year

• Like 1

Just now, wildstorm said:

i suppose i should offer up a substitution;

John Goodenough (99): co-inventor of lithium-ion batteries, Nobel laureate: increased frailty in most recent interview, turns 100 next year

Good enough suggestion I suppose…

• Haha 1

In addition to Skinner, what other high profile politicians might be at death's door? Bernie is 80 and suffered a heart attack a bit over a year ago, but seems in decent health today from what I can tell. His brother Larry Sanders is 86, so perhaps more likely to go, but substantially less famous. Joe Biden could be an interesting long-shot suggestion imo, his (arguable) cognitive decline, clumsiness and general old-as-fuck-ness could be factors (not to mention if the dreaded 'rona gets to a second, even older US president...). Not a very likely hit by any means, but would probably be the most consequential and widely known death of the year if it comes to be.

3 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

In addition to Skinner, what other high profile politicians might be at death's door? Bernie is 80 and suffered a heart attack a bit over a year ago, but seems in decent health today from what I can tell. His brother Larry Sanders is 86, so perhaps more likely to go, but substantially less famous. Joe Biden could be an interesting long-shot suggestion imo, his (arguable) cognitive decline, clumsiness and general old-as-fuck-ness could be factors (not to mention if the dreaded 'rona gets to a second, even older US president...). Not a very likely hit by any means, but would probably be the most consequential and widely known death of the year if it comes to be.

Frank Field and Jimmy Carter seem notable absences from that list.... 

Just now, AnnualFlyBy said:

Frank Field and Jimmy Carter seem notable absences from that list.... 

I was thinking of ones that hadn't already been mentioned ad nauseam, not sure quite what level of famousness Frank Field is at as a young un myself but both Carters are a given for 2022's list.

9 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

I was thinking of ones that hadn't already been mentioned ad nauseam, not sure quite what level of famousness Frank Field is at as a young un myself but both Carters are a given for 2022's list.

He was an MP for 40 years - and was sacked by Blair as a minister for being too much of a red Tory when it came to benefit reforms - and later resigned for being too pro-Brexit for the Labour Party in 2018, he's easily famous enough. 

• Like 3

On the note of politicians, Bill Rodgers and Dick Taverne (excellent names) who served in Wilson's first government are still alive at the age of 93. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 00:38, MortalCaso said:

Nichelle Nichols should be on the list ASAP. If you haven't been following her health issues of late. She shouldn't have more than a year or two left.

Vin Scully is another very good pick. Not sure it will happen in 2022, but he won't make 100.

I'm going to be that person. IMO this is the first genuine miss this year. It was well known she was on her last legs, very easy and notable person to pick. 

• Like 9

On 06/12/2021 at 00:38, MortalCaso said:

Nichelle Nichols should be on the list ASAP. If you haven't been following her health issues of late. She shouldn't have more than a year or two left.

Vin Scully is another very good pick. Not sure it will happen in 2022, but he won't make 100.

My 2 suggestions die within a few days of each other.....

• Like 5