Here we go.  Another Coronavirus thread.  This variant seems to be going apeshit.  Major incident in London. 

Time for another lockdown?  Two weeks ought to do it as long as people follow the rules.

What do you think? 

I predict it will cause the resignation of Boris Johnson and maybe Chris Whitty (the Tory backbenchers are increasingly fed up of both of them).

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Now the Netherlands are going into a full lockdown from tomorrow. 

• Sad 1

FFS!

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

It's the first time in about two years that The Netherlands actually try to act faster than other countries (too bad they cannot do otherwise cause the hospitals and ICU's have been filled with good ol' Delta patients for the past weeks, and until 2 weeks ago the government didn't put any effort into providing boosters, so it's not really about having a competent leadership).

24 minutes ago, six feet blunder said:

Anyone one else get the feeling we are never going to return to anything like normality

If only there was something that could help

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Denmark is almost in full lockdown from monday. Students got send home this wednesday, so I had to teach online from home which is a bummer. We're told to be back on January 5th, but somehow I doubt it.

I am yet to see any data that shows Omicron is not actually the solution.

If it is milder and spreads faster then it may actually be the route back to normality.

Of course it might not but we don’t know yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

If it is milder and spreads faster then it may actually be the route back to normality.

Everything I have seen or read shows the same. It is a blessing in disguise that it's replacing Delta.

If it ends up being worse somehow.....I know of a major solution

Step 1: Refuse medical service to those who haven't gotten the vaccine (besides legit health reasons such as allergies)

• Facepalm 1

We just had a daily case record in Germany two weeks ago. The numbers improved a little but are still high. And now they say Omicron will be making it worse. It's all very shitty.

By the way, I feel somewhat sorry for the politicians (and the people). This isn't going away, and it's taking longer than everybody thought. It seems that trust in the political process is dying everywhere - but only because this virus is so stubborn.

I believe that even with a vaccination rate of close to 100% there will always be pockets that cause new outbreaks. Because it seems that you need to refresh your vaccination every few months.

So either we basically change human civilization, improve health services globally, force vaccinations and hard lockdowns like in China, or this will never go away.

Just now, gcreptile said:

We just had a daily case record in Germany two weeks ago. The numbers improved a little but are still high. And now they say Omicron will be making it worse. It's all very shitty.

By the way, I feel somewhat sorry for the politicians (and the people). This isn't going away, and it's taking longer than everybody thought. It seems that trust in the political process is dying everywhere - but only because this virus is so stubborn.

I believe that even with a vaccination rate of close to 100% there will always be pockets that cause new outbreaks. Because it seems that you need to refresh your vaccination every few months.

So either we basically change human civilization, improve health services globally, force vaccinations and hard lockdowns like in China, or this will never go away.

It was very obvious from the start this was never going away. One day this will be like the common cold or influenza. Will just get a 'flu' shot every year. The people who told you this COULD or WOULD be defeated lied to stop panic as they didn't know when it would calm down. It also would have driven less to get vaccinated as "Why should we get a shot if we just get another next year". OR they were just uneducated on how Coronavirus behaved in the past.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

It seems that trust in the political process is dying everywhere - but only because this virus is so stubborn.

That's not the reason here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

The biggest issue is if another strain is created from Omicron that is much deadlier coupled with its high transmissibility. 

• Like 1

Just now, Banana said:

The biggest issue is if another strain is created from Omicron that is much deadlier coupled with its high transmissibility. 

That'll be interesting from a deadpooling point of view.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

prepare to be extremely bored then

• Like 1

Just now, Toast said:

Won't be if we're all dead.

16 minutes ago, Banana said:

Won't be if we're all dead.

The asteroid can't come soon enough.

Apeshit pffft not a single soul has died from the strain.  Stick to Delta with fear mongering.  Not sure what Nicola and/or your media shoves down your throat but get vaxxed get your booster and live your life.  If you know someone who has died from Omicron you’ll be the first.

SC

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Apeshit pffft not a single soul has died from the strain.  Stick to Delta with fear mongering.  Not sure what Nicola and/or your media shoves down your throat but get vaxxed get your booster and live your life.  If you know someone who has died from Omicron you’ll be the first.

SC

Until you know what you're talking about , shut the fuck up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

Don’t you have another new thread to create?

11 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Don’t you have another new thread to create?

Was thinking about " Is Sir Creep an arsehole or not".  But that would be a waste of time. 

• Haha 2

I know somebody that died from the virus, just saying, like.

3 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Was thinking about " Is Sir Creep an arsehole or not".  But that would be a waste of time. 

Isn't this the Most Wonderful Time of the Year when you can change his name to Sir Cunt? @Paul Bearer @DevonDeathTrip

I'm pretty sure last year's request is still valid for evermore and should last until Hogmanay / end of impending lochdown at the very least.