I’m currently self-isolating suspect I may have it but don’t know for certain. Symptoms have been no worse than bad colds I’ve had in the past. I’ve been double jabbed had just booked my booster, obviously had to postpone that. Seems to be the unvaccinated who are most at risk, but given that most people in this country have accepted it when offered, vaccine resistance has been relatively low here compared to elsewhere I don’t know whether another lockdown is warranted. Boris certainly will only call for one if he’s backed into a corner with absolutely no alternative, and he’s hanging by a thread right now…

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, JR976evil said:

I’m currently self-isolating suspect I may have it but don’t know for certain. Symptoms have been no worse than bad colds I’ve had in the past. I’ve been double jabbed had just booked my booster, obviously had to postpone that. Seems to be the unvaccinated who are most at risk, but given that most people in this country have accepted it when offered, vaccine resistance has been relatively low here compared to elsewhere I don’t know whether another lockdown is warranted. Boris certainly will only call for one if he’s backed into a corner with absolutely no alternative, and he’s hanging by a thread right now…

Another lockdown will only be warranted if hospitalisations increase significantly. According to the Government's own dashboard (figures vary), new cases peaked on December 29th 2020 at 81,481, with a 7-day average of 52,923 cases per day. The current record is 96,397 cases on December 15th 2021 (7-day average unavailable as recent data is incomplete), but with the current rate of transmission, that's expected to be smashed in the coming weeks.

Hospitalisations peaked on January 12th 2021 at 4,583, with a 7-day average of 4,138.7. That's about 2 weeks on from the cases peak, which fits the window of 2-3 weeks between cases leading to hospitalisations. Currently, the peak for hospitalisations is December 9th, when there were 925, with a 7-day average of 859. But cases were about half what they are now 2 weeks ago, so hospitalisations post-Christmas could reach 1,500-2,000 quite easily on current data. Obviously, this is where vaccinations have made a massive difference, with case numbers not translating into hospitalisations in anywhere near the numbers they were at the start of the year. But with the numbers we're getting now (and going to get over Christmas) and the lack of clear information about the Omicron variant, we're very much in uncharted territory just now, which is why there's all these jitters.

Deaths peaked on January 19th 2021 at 1,359, with a 7-day average of 1,285.9. That's exactly a week on from hospitalisations. Currently, we're experiencing about 100 deaths per day (again, no 7-day average due to incomplete data), which is a fraction of what it was at the height of the pandemic. But, of course, that disguises the long-term or serious side effects some people are suffering. Vaccinations are obviously making a massive difference. There have been 51.4 million first doses administered. According to the ONS estimate (2021 census data not yet released), there were 67.1 million people in the UK last year, with around 8.5 million under 12s (very rough estimate), which leaves a population of around 7 million completely unvaccinated, so plenty of potential complications. 47 million have had 2 doses (but some first doses will be recently administered, so there's no way of telling exactly how many have refused a second dose). Boosters currently stand at 28 million and rising.

As for the future, we'll soon know more about Omicron, but as has been said, it's how that potentially mutates further that is the worry. Getting the world vaccinated is still not happening fast enough: part of the reason Omicron has been able to develop is the lack of protection in much of the world. To get Covid under control will require strong immunity everywhere, not just in pockets. And I'd hate to be immuno-compromised right now, they seem to have been completely ignored.

According to South African doctors and scientists ( the scientists clever enough to first discover the new variant ) we are  jumping the gun a tad.

Chris Witty, when asked about this, stated that it is different here , blah, blah, blah because we have had more delta cases and it has combined and, and...

I haven't quoted verbatim but I could detect a slight whiff of bullshit.

I've had the jabs, the booster and expect to be having boosters every few months for as long as I have left on planet Earth, which I accept.

What I am struggling to accept is this constant 'Save the NHS' bollocks when it was created to save us.

We KNEW that there could be new variants out there, we KNEW they could be more transmissible and our brilliant Government, scientific advisors and assorted big time Charlie experts did absolutely nothing to prepare the NHS for any major increase in covid stricken patients.

Now, again, we are staring greater restrictions in the face, which is marvellous.

To be fair, I went to White Hart Lane a couple of weeks back and wasn't asked to show my vaccination status, which I found strange.

Nearly 60,000 in a stadium and I doubt if many were asked either. We have not been hot enough on that and now we are paying a high price.

Omicron is not fucking the economy, the Government is and people that deny that the virus is nothing more than a bit of a cold.

Apart from all that, business as usual, innit.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

According to South African doctors and scientists ( the scientists clever enough to first discover the new variant ) we are  jumping the gun a tad.

Chris Witty, when asked about this, stated that it is different here , blah, blah, blah because we have had more delta cases and it has combined and, and...

I've had the jabs, the booster and expect to be having boosters every few months for as long as I have left on planet Earth, which I accept.

What I am struggling to accept is this constant 'Save the NHS' bollocks when it was created to save us.

We KNEW that there could be new variants out there, we KNEW they could be more transmissible and our brilliant Government, scientific advisors and assorted big time Charlie experts did absolutely nothing to prepare the NHS for any major increase in covid stricken patients.

Now, again, we are staring greater restrictions in the face, which is marvellous.

To be fair, I went to White Hart Lane a couple of weeks back and wasn't asked to show my vaccination status, which I found strange.

Nearly 60,000 in a stadium and I doubt if many were asked either. We have not been hot enough on that and now we are paying a high price.

Omicron is not fucking the economy, the Government is and people that deny that the virus is nothing more than a bit of a cold.

Very telling, isn't it, that pretty much every bit of that can be answered with "our government are shite". 

Government* has gone on and on about the NHS while cutting its budget. Now there are lots of areas where the NHS could be made more efficient, like (to pick one example) salaries paid to part-time consultant doctors who spend most of their hours working in private health care. But most of the cuts went to front line staffing, employing and equipment. There's bits of the NHS in England and Scotland where entire hospitals are running off of 20% staff (nurses, doctors, cleaners, the whole lot) with little government interest in dealing with this lopsided issue, so when a pandemic hit there was already an extreme shortage of beds, nurses, masks, etc. Because the UK has run off a "that'll do" short termism for as long as I can recall, and well, this happens. 

Also, we (the UK) had a pandemic plan in 2018 from Ben Wallace that got scrapped as soon as Boris Johnson went into office. There is no end to the man talents in being a completely useless wanker. We've spent two decades assuming there will not a time like this, and when it came, we were fucked well beyond what we should have been. 

*tbf, Blair did this too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, msc said:

There is no end to the man talents in being a completely useless wanker.

Amen.:D

9 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I wasn't asked for mine when I was there - same time same place I'm guessing. Although I've carried the status letter around with me when  going to those particular events. 

Interesting that scientists are predicting daily death rates anywhere between 600 and 6000 whilst we live under PLan B. At the same time we have govt ministers opposed to restrictions. Two things are for certain:-

1) The NHS isn't adequately funded and resourced to deal with this kind of crisis. That may have to change in the short to medium term if we are to avoid finding ourselves in this situation again.

2) Either the scientists are wrong or those ministers opposed to further restrictions are. If the latter get their way then we will see how accurate the modelling is and whether lives are lost as a result of  hands-off approach from govt. Someone will have egg on their face if the strategy of doing nothing is followed. 

10 hours ago, MrSpud42 said:

I wasn't asked for mine when I was there - same time same place I'm guessing. Although I've carried the status letter around with me when  going to those particular events. 

It was the Norwich game.

4 hours ago, Exu said:

Interesting that scientists are predicting daily death rates anywhere between 600 and 6000 whilst we live under PLan B. At the same time we have govt ministers opposed to restrictions. Two things are for certain:-

1) The NHS isn't adequately funded and resourced to deal with this kind of crisis. That may have to change in the short to medium term if we are to avoid finding ourselves in this situation again.

2) Either the scientists are wrong or those ministers opposed to further restrictions are. If the latter get their way then we will see how accurate the modelling is and whether lives are lost as a result of  hands-off approach from govt. Someone will have egg on their face if the strategy of doing nothing is followed. 

The modelling has been pretty shit up to to now.

The biggest tosser for that is Neil Ferguson who is to predictive modelling what Gemma Collins is to anorexia.

Still the fucker gets quoted time and time again by a press and media that, you can imagine, masturbates furiously at the pleasure of reporting doom and gloom scenarios to a tired and fucked off public.

I think, looking at the latest figures, 44 people ( correcting me will be welcomed) have died due to the virus in the last 24 hrs.

44!!

Fuck all, basically.

Omicron infections have also dropped by a third, apparently, too.

In other news, my local hospital has had to shut down a big fuck off ward because of a virus......the norovirus.

It the Rona doesn't get the vulnerable the noro will have people shitting themselves to death.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Exu said:

Ditto what LFN said above.

SAGE have admitted deliberately being pessimistic in their forecasts.Also 600 and 6000 daily deaths are vastly different for a worst case scenario.So seems incredibly speculative in terms of statistics even for a prediction.

• Like 1

Ferguson didn't even believe in what he advocated as could be seen by him shagging his mistress during lockdown.Same goes for the entire government seemingly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sean said:

Ferguson didn't even believe in what he advocated as could be seen by him shagging his mistress during lockdown.Same goes for the entire government seemingly.

It was ok, he fucked her while wearing a suit....

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It was ok, he fucked her while wearing a suit....

Assuming it was a business meeting and cheese and wine was involved too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sean said:

Assuming it was a business meeting and cheese and wine was involved too.

Ah, yeah, role play!

He went round hers to 'discuss' the impact of the virus on the NHS and, as he was getting to the main points, his dick fell out of his trousers and....

Yes, I can see that working.:D

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The modelling has been pretty shit up to to now.

The biggest tosser for that is Neil Ferguson who is to predictive modelling what Gemma Collins is to anorexia.

Still the fucker gets quoted time and time again by a press and media that, you can imagine, masturbates furiously at the pleasure of reporting doom and gloom scenarios to a tired and fucked off public.

I think, looking at the latest figures, 44 people ( correcting me will be welcomed) have died due to the virus in the last 24 hrs.

44!!

Fuck all, basically.

Omicron infections have also dropped by a third, apparently, too.

In other news, my local hospital has had to shut down a big fuck off ward because of a virus......the norovirus.

It the Rona doesn't get the vulnerable the noro will have people shitting themselves to death.

So we're on to Private Fraser again....... 

The death rate in the UK is about 9.4/1000 each year.

This means that of the population of UK of 69 million around 650,000 die each year.

Or every day 1,781 people die.

Currently over 500,000 people are testing positive for Covid each week.

That means in a 4 week period 2 million people will have Covid.

That means that statistically if Covid is not deadly at all we can expect 2/69 * 1,781 = 52 people to die every day within 28 days of testing positive for covid.

If the 500,000/week doubles to say a million a week then you can expect the 52 people to become 104.

So the only way of eliminating ‘statistical’ covid deaths is to eliminate cases.

Here's some other related info about Covid.

There was 112000 deaths involving influenza/pneumonia in 2020, looking like it’s dropped significantly in 2021 – I’m not hearing this in the news.

Covid graphs.jpg

The dotted line is the annual average.

The death rate in 2019 for the UK was 9.3 per 1,000, 9.4 in 2020 and 9.4 in 2021 I think so the graphs above are just confirmation of the obvious related fact that if so many people had a covid related death then death by all other causes have dropped. Again Covid positive within 28 days is 'robbing' the other causes of death.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just tested positive with Omicron. Ugh, I've been so careful. 

Feels like a very rough cold.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Genfærd said:

Keep us informed. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd got it the other day.  It was just a cold though.  Still had to cancel all my appointments though and didn't get the all-clear till Christmas Day.  Bloody nuisance.

2 hours ago, Genfærd said:

In the event that things don’t pan out too well for you, are you likely get an obit from a national newspaper?

Asking for a friend. ;)

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

In the event that things don’t pan out too well for you, are you likely get an obit from a national newspaper?

Asking for a friend. ;)

He said it feels like a cold.  That’s all it is and you fear mongering @Paul Bearer wannabes are morons.

NOT ONE VACCINATED PERSON HAS DIED FROM OMICRON.  If you say otherwise post a name.  And prove it.  What horseshoe this page has become.  I honestly thought DEADPOOLERS would be the obe place of learned sanity when it comes to illness and death and the connection.  But no.  Goddamn morons all of you.

SirCunto

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Cunto said:

He said it feels like a cold.  That’s all it is and you fear mongering @Paul Bearer wannabes are morons.

NOT ONE VACCINATED PERSON HAS DIED FROM OMICRON.  If you say otherwise post a name.  And prove it.  What horseshoe this page has become.  I honestly thought DEADPOOLERS would be the obe place of learned sanity when it comes to illness and death and the connection.  But no.  Goddamn morons all of you.

SirCunto

I can see now it is "Sir Cunto" and not "Dr. Cunto". I'm sure to take my medical advice from someone who's sole redeeming quality is being a cunt!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Absolutely gutted I'm not a mod the now. 

Oh wait. I couldn't change usernames anyways. 

Carry on :biggrin:

Omicron is ripping through the US and I'm completely in favour of restrictions stopping them from gathering, or going to Ireland.

Or Scotland. Or England. 

Forever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Windsor said:

Asking for a friend. ;)

Haha, if i am Lucky, I'll get a small notice in between an ad for toilet papers and the latest news on the preservation of the old police station in the local news.