Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2022

1 hour ago, vvmax said:

Frank Williams, the Vicar in Dads Army has died aged 90.

https://twitter.com/benpeyton007/status/1541010971161944064

Only Ian Lavender (Pike) is left

Spooky isn't the word. Was just talking about him this morning. How he was only one of two left 

My 2nd Frank Williams shadow list hit, after the demise of F1’s Frank Williams last year. 

Unfortunately I don’t think I can score a Frank Williams hatrick for 2023…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

My 2nd Frank Williams shadow list hit, after the demise of F1’s Frank Williams last year. 

Unfortunately I don’t think I can score a Frank Williams hatrick for 2023…

You could try for it:

1) Frank Williams dob 1940 former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island

2) Frank Williams dob 1942 ex member of the Florida House of Representatives 

I would opt for the former.

4 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

One of those names that could so easily have ended up on the DL particularly because of the affection for Clive Dunn but he kept popping up at events associated with Dad's Army so I think most people thought he had a couple more years

• Like 5

I think the BBC not mentioning his death yet is just disrespectful given how many viewers watched Dads Army yet Lauren Laverne's mother who wasn't even famous got what amounted to a full write up.The BBC are really going tablod and ignoring their own history and acknowledging their own stars.

• Like 5

Usually it's due to waiting for official confirmation before going ahead. Sometimes there's also a delay until close relatives have been informed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

One of those names that could so easily have ended up on the DL particularly because of the affection for Clive Dunn but he kept popping up at events associated with Dad's Army so I think most people thought he had a couple more years

Indeed. I reckon he would've made the front page had he lasted a year or two longer.

That being said, Ian Lavender might be worth a punt soon. He is only 76, but has had health issues in the past and he looked quite frail a couple of years back:

15 hours ago, Sean said:

I think the BBC not mentioning his death yet is just disrespectful given how many viewers watched Dads Army yet Lauren Laverne's mother who wasn't even famous got what amounted to a full write up.The BBC are really going tablod and ignoring their own history and acknowledging their own stars.

Still not on their website. Has been mentioned on Tv through.

Time for an Ian Lavender v Mike Berry (last of the Being Served regulars) war! :P

The fact ITV's Graham Skidmore gets a BBC mention but FW doesn't first, astonishing.

• Like 1

I wonder if the BBC’s policies with confirmation are stopping them from reporting it? It seems like most of the press about FW’s death uses a tweet as the source. 

56 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I wonder if the BBC’s policies with confirmation are stopping them from reporting it? It seems like most of the press about FW’s death uses a tweet as the source. 

Daily Mirror mentioned a facebook post from the family

Stage obituary for John Frankau, director/producer of many TV programmes of the 1960s and 1970s, including No Hiding Place, The Troubleshooters and Another Bouquet: https://www.thestage.co.uk/obituaries--archive/obituaries/obituary-john-frankau-director-and-producer

I'm guessing he was 96/97.

Heard that surname somewhere before? Yes, he was the father of Nicholas Frankau, one of ze British airmen in Allo Allo.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Stage obituary for John Frankau, director/producer of many TV programmes of the 1960s and 1970s, including No Hiding Place, The Troubleshooters and Another Bouquet: https://www.thestage.co.uk/obituaries--archive/obituaries/obituary-john-frankau-director-and-producer

I'm guessing he was 96/97.

Heard that surname somewhere before? Yes, he was the father of Nicholas Frankau, one of ze British airmen in Allo Allo.

96, and died on 12th March. Copy and pasted the full obituary into the spoiler below for you.

Spoiler

A prolific television director and producer, John Frankau, whose career spanned five decades, has died aged 96.

The son of Ronald Frankau, a comedy actor and writer active in the 1930s and 1940s, Frankau grew up in Cambridge. He attended the Leys School before gaining a place at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he studied engineering.

However, his first love was the theatre and towards the end of the 1940s he found employment as a stage manager, then as a director, at various regional reps, including Nottingham and Salisbury. 

Frankau’s career in television began in the 1950s, as a producer of documentaries and plays for ITV, often working on several projects at once. His son Nicholas, an actor, recalls that his father “had the ability to communicate with the actors on an artistic level, and the crew on a technical level”. 

Some of his earliest successes included the police series No Hiding Place, in the 1950s and 1960s, and The Main Chance, starring John Stride, in the 1960s and 1970s. In the 1980s, he worked as executive producer with Laurence Olivier and Alan Bates on the TV version of John Mortimer’s hit play A Voyage Round My Father.

Other career highlights were Yorkshire TV’s drama Sarah (1973), which was nominated for an Emmy and the ITV Playhouse production Mr Axelford’s Angel with Julia Foster and Michael Bryant, which was nominated for two BAFTAs and won an International Emmy Award for best TV drama in 1974. 

He also worked on the 1970s’ comedy-drama Beryl’s Lot starring Carmel McSharry, and Rumpole of the Bailey, working once again with John Mortimer.  

For a brief period, Frankau was head of drama at Thames TV, but his son said the job didn’t suit him because “he preferred the creative side, working with actors and technicians”. 

In the early 1990s, he directed a 12-part series for Yorkshire TV called The Mixer, starring Simon Williams as a Raffles-like 1930s aristocrat stealing back stolen property. It was financed by a Franco-German production company, but Yorkshire TV never screened it.

His final project was a documentary in the mid-1990s for the University of East Anglia about genetically modified foods.

Frankau and his wife, Barry, who died in 2010, moved from London to Newmarket in 2002 to be nearer to his only son and three grandsons.

John Gilbert Frankau was born on September 4, 1925, and died on March 12. He is survived by his son Nicholas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

96, and died on 12th March. Copy and pasted the full obituary into the spoiler below for you.

Hide contents

A prolific television director and producer, John Frankau, whose career spanned five decades, has died aged 96.

The son of Ronald Frankau, a comedy actor and writer active in the 1930s and 1940s, Frankau grew up in Cambridge. He attended the Leys School before gaining a place at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he studied engineering.

However, his first love was the theatre and towards the end of the 1940s he found employment as a stage manager, then as a director, at various regional reps, including Nottingham and Salisbury. 

Frankau’s career in television began in the 1950s, as a producer of documentaries and plays for ITV, often working on several projects at once. His son Nicholas, an actor, recalls that his father “had the ability to communicate with the actors on an artistic level, and the crew on a technical level”. 

Some of his earliest successes included the police series No Hiding Place, in the 1950s and 1960s, and The Main Chance, starring John Stride, in the 1960s and 1970s. In the 1980s, he worked as executive producer with Laurence Olivier and Alan Bates on the TV version of John Mortimer’s hit play A Voyage Round My Father.

Other career highlights were Yorkshire TV’s drama Sarah (1973), which was nominated for an Emmy and the ITV Playhouse production Mr Axelford’s Angel with Julia Foster and Michael Bryant, which was nominated for two BAFTAs and won an International Emmy Award for best TV drama in 1974. 

He also worked on the 1970s’ comedy-drama Beryl’s Lot starring Carmel McSharry, and Rumpole of the Bailey, working once again with John Mortimer.  

For a brief period, Frankau was head of drama at Thames TV, but his son said the job didn’t suit him because “he preferred the creative side, working with actors and technicians”. 

In the early 1990s, he directed a 12-part series for Yorkshire TV called The Mixer, starring Simon Williams as a Raffles-like 1930s aristocrat stealing back stolen property. It was financed by a Franco-German production company, but Yorkshire TV never screened it.

His final project was a documentary in the mid-1990s for the University of East Anglia about genetically modified foods.

Frankau and his wife, Barry, who died in 2010, moved from London to Newmarket in 2002 to be nearer to his only son and three grandsons.

John Gilbert Frankau was born on September 4, 1925, and died on March 12. He is survived by his son Nicholas.

Interestingly, John Frankau got a write up today in the Guardian by Nicholas. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/jun/29/john-frankau-obituary

Includes some details of his mother and John Frankau's wife, Barry Wildblood (m. 1948) who acted under the name Jennifer Stuart. I believe that will be this Jennifer Stuart whose only TV credits are in Frankau productions. IMDB still has her alive, she died in 2010 from cancer.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 07:36, arghton said:

Israeli Haredi social activist, alleged sexual abuser and DL cup pick last year, Yehuda Meshi Zahav or Meshi-Zahav, finally dead at 62 after a year of being in coma after a suicide attempt:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/meshi-zahav-dies-a-year-after-attempting-suicide-amid-rape-allegations/

Unlike his heathen competition, Sir Creep has deadpooling standards and will NEVER field a non-Catholic sexual abuser on any team.

SC

Talking of Frank Williams, it's weird to think that immediately before his death, the number of core character actors still alive from Dad's Army was the same as that for the two decades later Vicar of Dibley...

General comment. Isn't this year glacial? Into the second half and just four gone. Has there been a slower year since the DL started?

49 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

British cineast Peter Brooke dead at 97

the hell?

On 03/07/2022 at 09:40, Lafaucheuse said:

British cineaste Peter Brook dead at 97

I do not know how everyone else decides who Enters their Shadow Lists, but I have a list of, I suppose subs, that each year take the place of any hits from my list. Any of these "subs" that die within the year go to my own personal "List of the Missed". After June hailed about 6 folk of about 700 (and counting), they now all seem to be dying in very quick succession. First Goram, then Shvartsman, now Brook. 

I am entirely aware that 700+ are never going to all make my list, but some I just do not want to miss. 

Edit: Majumdar now also. Very similar to the beginning of December 2021, where at least one person who qualified for my List of the Missed died every day for over a week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

British cineast Peter Brooke dead at 97

Sad news, he won Tony Awards for directing acclaimed adaptations of the plays of William Shakespeare such as Hamlet, The Tempest, King Lear or A Midsummer Nights Dream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

the hell?

Cineast is a word in both French and English (Google is your friend), but it’s very rarely used in English. I’ve never heard anyone say it before.

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Cineast is a word in both French and English (Google is your friend), but it’s very rarely used in English. I’ve never heard anyone say it before.

I see you assumed he was unfamiliar with the word; I assumed he was questioning the spelling. He's wrong either way you look at it.