Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2022

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

American actress and sometime mentioned here Robyn Griggs reportedly dead: https://twitter.com/ericspudic/status/1558500900976488449

Hmmmm.... she entered hospice care today. Premature report?

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Dunno, blame Eric...:P

Nah, here is the obit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drol said:

Nah, here is the obit.

Damn, I'd really be on pace for a historic season over at that other website... if it still existed

Guardian Obit for journalist, author and TV critic Philip Purser, who died back on 1 August, aged 96: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/aug/15/philip-purser-obituary

Never seemingly mentioned here. Long serving TV critic for the Sunday Telegraph, authored Night Of Glass and turned to scripts for the tellybox.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700966/

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Done an Elvis 12 months too early?

Hmm, I don't believe excessive intake of burgers or prescription medication was involved. "Found unresponsive" I'm guessing presents three clear options; undiagnosed medical problem, suicide because his life/career had gone to shit or the same calculation that took out Michael Hutchence. 

Either way, I doubt a posthumous #1 will occur this week

• Like 1

Not sure where this fits...

Rolando Cubela Secades, Cuban revolutionary leader who played a vital role in the Cuban Revolution, founding member of Directorio Revolucionario Estudiantil, Commander in the Cuban Revolutionary Army (highest rank) and later a CIA asset who under the cryptonym AM/LASH worked with CIA on plots to assasinate Fidel Castro (spent 13 years in prison after Castro summoned him to his office and had him arrested in 1966, after being released went into exile in Spain) dead at 89/90.

secades.png.f4a9fd8c64485073457898039aacb187.png

Interesting article about him here. The report filed by the CIA noted that Cubela often referred to himself as "we," and that he disliked the use of the word "assassinate," offering, instead, the word "eliminate" as more acceptable. [Author David Korn describes Cubela as "an erratic fellow who drank excessively," in Blond Ghost: Ted Shackley and the CIA's Crusades.]

• Like 3

Former Epstein associate Steven Hoffenberg is dead at 77

• Like 5

An Indigenous Brazillian who lived alone in the Amazon rainforest for over two and a half decades and was nicknamed by the media "The Man of the Hole" passed away sometime earlier this month.

A rather interesting person, it would seem. He was presumed to be the last survivor of his tribe, who were apparently murdered by land-grabbing farmers, although this tribe is largely unknown, much like the man himself, whose name, age, and even the language he spoke are still a mystery. Brazillian authorities kept tabs on him for his own protection, as he was constantly under threat from other land-grabbers, much like the ones that are believed to have killed the rest of his tribe. Despite the numerous threats to his life, he passed away peacefully, and was found on 24th August, "lying down in his hammock, and ornamented [with macaw feathers] as if waiting for death". He had previously almost been killed by gunmen in 2009.

• Like 2

Just out of interest would he have been a valid DDP pick? I mean he got a QO but has no name.

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Just out of interest would he have been a valid DDP pick? I mean he got a QO but has no name.

Aye, a good question - not my call, obviously, but...he'd have been easy to identify and not easily mistaken for someone else, so...probably.

I may have missed these so apologies in advance but have we had Q/O for Helen Grayco and Mildred Kornman?

Just now, Steve said:

I may have missed these so apologies in advance but have we had Q/O for Helen Grayco and Mildred Kornman?

Grayco got a Yahoo UK. Nothing yet for Kornman (not a DDP pick but could be on some forum pools) as far as I know.

On 29/08/2022 at 08:48, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, a good question - not my call, obviously, but...he'd have been easy to identify and not easily mistaken for someone else, so...probably.

‘That’s not how anyone of this works’

They can’t be absolute nobodies imo.  And he is that.

‘Easy to identify’ has never been a criteria unless you’re helping the police look for the man who boxed your ears and stole your wallet on your way out of the theatre.

On 29/08/2022 at 11:09, Youth in Asia said:

From the DDP rules:

Named individuals, not just “Pope Wotsisface” or “the oldest person in the world”

so, I think no.

1 hour ago, time said:

From the DDP rules:

so, I think no.

As part of the committee, but not speaking on the committee’s behalf only throwing in my view, I think if someone had entered ‘The Man of the Hole’ (the name by which he was known in media) and explained who he was then we would have considered his fame criteria not his identification criteria.

The rule exists IMO to ensure that a selection is uniquely identifiable and not open to debate.

Denis Moriarty, TV director and producer who directed over 60 episodes of Face The Music (obligatory watching in the Willz household at the time) and produced Six English Towns and The Triumph Of The West TV series, obituary: https://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/obituaries/174510/denis-moriarty-mayor-of-henley-and-bbc-tv-producer.html

Stood for Parliament for Labour twice, losing on both occasions, but sometime a local councillor in Henley.

His obit has a lovely dob and dod, unlike his IMDB quoted above at present.

• Like 1

Obit for Sir Francis McWilliams (wiki), aged 96, Scottish engineer and Lord Mayor of London (1992–1993).

Mentioned before in the QEII thread as one of just a handful of knights who was older than the Queen.

Notably disqualified for driving at the age of 89 in 2015 when he was boozing in his Jaguar outside the Bank of England... as you do.

Note: McWilliams was the last living Lord Mayor of London born in the 1920s. The oldest now was born in 1935, so quite a jump!

• Like 3

On 02/09/2022 at 20:10, Grim Up North said:

As part of the committee, but not speaking on the committee’s behalf only throwing in my view, I think if someone had entered ‘The Man of the Hole’ (the name by which he was known in media) and explained who he was then we would have considered his fame criteria not his identification criteria.

The rule exists IMO to ensure that a selection is uniquely identifiable and not open to debate.

As a poster and no committee member I'd say that's fair. I'd accept - for example - The Leopard Man of Skye in the Deathrace because it's clear which individual they mean.

On 02/09/2022 at 15:10, Grim Up North said:

As part of the committee, 

The hell?  This is the most disturbing thing I’ve read all year. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4