Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2022

Could have sworn his health issues had been discussed on here, but apparently not?

It was on TMZ last year. I imagine he'd get a QO, but I just wasnt brave enough to pick him anywhere.

Obit for BBC arts bod Leslie Megahey, who's died aged 77. Was producer & director for both Arena & Omnibus.

• Like 2

Joseph Hazelwood, the captain of the Exxon Valdez, which was involved in the massive 1989 crude oil spill in Alaska, died July 22nd. His death is now being widely reported.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11198719/Captain-Exxon-Valdez-tanker-infamous-1989-Alaskan-crude-oil-spill-dies-COVID-cancer.html

• Like 2

On 01/09/2022 at 11:35, Death Impends said:

Grayco got a Yahoo UK. Nothing yet for Kornman (not a DDP pick but could be on some forum pools) as far as I know.

Mildred Kornman finally scoops a QO.

Telegraph obit

• Like 1

On 08/09/2022 at 23:11, Il Magneto said:

The Queen is dead. 

She will be succeeded by a dog

That's harsh. Camilla is just getting old.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

giphy.gif.0ccacb24344185b7c91645dd0a33248c.gif

Sarky git.:lol:

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

giphy.gif.0ccacb24344185b7c91645dd0a33248c.gif

If that 's a dig at the death already being posted elsewhere, I'm surprised that you don't share my view that this thread should include ALL deaths so it can stand as a record of the year.

A wasted opportunity IMO.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

If that 's a dig at the death already being posted elsewhere, I'm surprised that you don't share my view that this thread should include ALL deaths so it can stand as a record of the year.

A wasted opportunity IMO.

That doesn't really work when 90% of the deaths we report on this forum aren't ever posted in this thread, does it?

What is the use in pointless repetition? If you want a record for all deaths of the year, that's what the Deaths in 2022 page on Wiki is for.

:hatsoff:

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That doesn't really work when 90% of the deaths we report on this forum aren't ever posted in this thread, does it?

That's because opprobrium is heaped upon anyone who dares to post the death any reasonably well-known person here.  I'm sure it wasn't like this when i joined.

Meanwhile plenty of cross-posting goes on without complaint, and no complaints from me.  It's for completeness, and that should apply to this thread too.

Just now, Toast said:

That's because opprobrium is heaped upon anyone who dares to post the death any reasonably well-known person here. 

In that case, I think you should start practising what you preach so as to lead by example, seeing as you seem to jump on this argument once every few months, and yet never actually do what you're advocating...

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

In that case, I think you should start practising what you preach so as to lead by example, seeing as you seem to jump on this argument once every few months, and yet never actually do what you're advocating...

Just because someone believes that it’s anyone right to post any death here doesn’t mean that they have to do it themselves. It’s just more that people don’t deserve ridicule for posting here. Who cares if someone posts here or not? That’s there choice. No need to call them out here. Not everybody is an active contributor on the forum, and I think as long as they don’t post a death in a thread that said death was already mentioned in its perfectly fine to post in any thread that makes sense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Just because someone believes that it’s anyone right to post any death here doesn’t mean that they have to do it themselves. It’s just more that people don’t deserve ridicule for posting here. Who cares if someone posts here or not? That’s there choice. No need to call them out here. Not everybody is an active contributor on the forum, and I think as long as they don’t post a death in a thread that said death was already mentioned in its perfectly fine to post in any thread that makes sense. 

Well judging from the dozens of frustrated reactions from users going back 18 pages, quite a few people.

24 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

There's not much point until the critics stop pouncing on people for posting here.

I thought you were better than this.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well judging from the dozens of frustrated reactions from users going back 18 pages, quite a few people.

A lot of those frustrations was for other reasons though looking back at it (like Gissoo posting every single nonentity in this thread). As for those mostly frustrated by actually posting in this thread, it seems to be only three or four people who actually yell at members for that, and I personally don’t think three or four people should dictate if this thread should be able to be posted in or not. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

A lot of those frustrations was for other reasons though looking back at it (like Gissoo posting every single nonentity in this thread). As for those mostly frustrated by actually posting in this thread, it seems to be only three or four people who actually yell at members for that, and I personally don’t think three or four people should dictate if this thread should be able to be posted in or not. 

You know what? I actually think that you're right. Time this thread was put to better purpose. :) :) :) 

I think you and Toast should collaborate on a post cataloguing all notable deaths mentioned elsewhere from January to September for this thread tonight, then that will set the ball in motion, ensuring that it is used as a "complete record" for the future.

All it would take is for everyone who posts a death to post it in here as well.  Just as they do when it fits into more than one thread.  I don't often post deaths as I'm rarely the first to hear of them.

This thread has gone from being "The Dead of [insert year]" to "People who died who don't fit into any other threads".  Which I suppose is a reflection of the proliferation of threads.  The once simple categories have spawned subdivisions like a Hydra sprouts heads.

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

All it would take is for everyone who posts a death to post it in here as well.  Just as they do when it fits into more than one thread.  I don't often post deaths as I'm rarely the first to hear of them.

This thread has gone from being "The Dead of [insert year]" to "People who died who don't fit into any other threads".  Which I suppose is a reflection of the proliferation of threads.  The once simple categories have spawned subdivisions like a Hydra sprouts heads.

It's time consuming enough as it is. I work 14 hour slots 5 days a week and most of the time I post it's on my phone, often rushed, when I get a spare couple of minutes so I need to go back and forth between urls, copy and pasting Wiki pages and news sources. I'm not doing it in here as well.

This is stupid on multiple levels. 

1. The forum is not a historical website, who cares if deaths from a year are in a catalogue or not. The DL archives/Stats page do what can be done in that regard. As mentioned, Wiki has a page for that. 

2. Who decides whether a death is noteworthy or not? Do we post every death whether they have a Wiki or not? Do we post a death that was only relevant for an obscure Deadpool?

3. This thread, no matter what it was used for in the past, is where deaths are posted that don't have a home elsewhere. This is a perfect use for it. Many deaths don't need a dedicated thread, so lump them in here. Quite honestly, even that is mainly for the search function. 

4. Cross-posting wouldn't be needed if we didn't have so many useless threads that serve the same purpose. I understand if someone cross-posts a death of a state leader in multiple threads, as it is covered in multiple threads! That doesn't mean it needs to be here as well. 

5. I don't have anything against those arguing one way or another for this, but it's a bit ridiculous. This site is cluttered by members and threads alike. Let's not make it worse, I'll continue to 'facepalm'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People need to be calming down with a cup of tea and a muffin.:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1