Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2022

2 minutes ago, time said:

The annual @christhebarker "Sgt Pepper" cover of the year's deceased has been released (no key as yet, so if anyone can tell me who the guy sitting at the front is, I'd be grateful)

Taylor Hawkins. Foo fighters

2 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Taylor Hawkins. Foo fighters

Thanks, you missed the edit; but I figured it out - there's many faces I can't put names too but I knew I should have known that one, so it was really bugging me. Trying to figure out the moustachioed figure behind Drummie Zeb now!

29 minutes ago, time said:

Thanks, you missed the edit; but I figured it out - there's many faces I can't put names too but I knew I should have known that one, so it was really bugging me. Trying to figure out the moustachioed figure behind Drummie Zeb now!

Gary Brooker of Procol Harum :) 

• Thanks 1

Took me ages to find the Queen.  :facepalm:

Just now, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I notice there’s no Jerry Lee Lewis, which is understandable but an omission all the same. 

He's right above Meat Loaf/Robbie Coltrane

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone spot Monica Vitti and Jean-Louis Trintignant above? They are the two that seem to be missing upon first glance... 

4 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Can anyone spot Monica Vitti and Jean-Louis Trintignant above? They are the two that seem to be missing upon first glance... 

The key has been published, no Vitti or Trintignant.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, time said:

The key has been published, no Vitti or Trintignant

Unbelievable! Vitti was one of Italy’s most renowned film stars, Trintignant one of France’s, and somehow Sacheen Littlefeather makes it on, whilst Vitti and Trintignant don’t? Vitti and Trintignant are two of the biggest deaths this year, definitely in the top 10 IMO, with Angela Lansbury, Sidney Poitier, Queen Elizabeth II, Mikhail Gorbachev, Shinzo Abe, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jean-Luc Godard and Olivia Newton-John.

• Like 2

Pleased to see Bamber Gascoigne on there but couldn't find David Trimble. 

12 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Unbelievable! Vitti was one of Italy’s most renowned film stars, Trintignant one of France’s, and somehow Sacheen Littlefeather makes it on, whilst Vitti and Trintignant don’t? Vitti and Trintignant are two of the biggest deaths this year, definitely in the top 10 IMO, with Angela Lansbury, Sidney Poitier, Queen Elizabeth II, Mikhail Gorbachev, Shinzo Abe, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jean-Luc Godard and Olivia Newton-John.

In France the top 10 would be : Gaspard Ulliel, Jean Luc Godard, Jean Louis Trintignant, Pierre Soulages, Jean Pierre Pernault, Thierry Mugler, Sempé, Jacques Perrin, Michel Bouquet, Igor Bogdanoff in that order. 

honorable mentions : Dani, Régine, Mylène demongeot, Rene de Obaldia

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Issei Sagawa, prominent Japanese cannibal who didnt go into prison for this, dead at 73:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japanese-cannibal-issei-sagawa-who-walked-free-dies-at-age-73

DDP pick last year, not this year. 

Was on my theme team last year.  Found out about his poor health some time ago but just couldn't get enough info to justify using him anywhere else.  Hate when a unique like this wriggles off the hook.

2 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

I am outraged!!

Where do we send a letter?

>:(

• Like 1

Monica Vitti is a major omission, but it's such a huge piece of work it's easy to overlook people. As well as already mentioned above (Trintignant, Perrin, Bouquet, Mugler), I'd add Jimmy Wang Yu and Atarah Ben-Tovim (OK, she's a bit obscure but for those of us of a certain age...) too.

Best place to complain/make suggestions is on Twitter, and Chris acknowledges there's bound to be some biggies diie between now and the New Year so it's still a work in progress.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 10:58, time said:

The key has been published, no Vitti or Trintignant.

The left out Kevin Conroy as well. Huge omission for especially since they included the green power ranger and technoblade. 

11 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Monica Vitti is a major omission, but it's such a huge piece of work it's easy to overlook people. As well as already mentioned above (Trintignant, Perrin, Bouquet, Mugler), I'd add Jimmy Wang Yu and Atarah Ben-Tovim (OK, she's a bit obscure but for those of us of a certain age...) too.

Best place to complain/make suggestions is on Twitter, and Chris acknowledges there's bound to be some biggies diie between now and the New Year so it's still a work in progress.

Yes, people need to take into account its one man's work in addition to everything else he does, so shouldn't be surprised by the odd omission (its not intended as a personal slight). 

• Like 3

The Russian writer Lyudmila Chernaya died at the age of 104. She is best known as the author of scholarly and journalistic books about Nazism, including the works "Criminal No. 1" and "Two-Faced Admiral". She was also a translator of German-language literature, including translations of the works of Erich Maria Remarque ("Life Borrowed," "Shadows in Paradise") and Franz Kafka ("Report to the Academy").

gazeta.ru

From the spring to the autumn of 1942 Lyudmila Chernaya was an instructor-translator in the 7th Department of the Political Department of the North-Western Front (specialized in work among enemy troops).
From October 1942 to 1945 she worked in Moscow in the counterpropaganda department of the TASS. She was involved, inter alia, in the preparation of articles and disinformation messages.

From the biography on the website TASS

Chernaya.jpg

John Edward Critien, Grand Chancellor of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta 2016-2017, dead at 73.

He was made Grand Chancellor in December 2016 when the late Prince and Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta Matthew Festing removed previous Grand Chancellor Albrecht von Boeselager "for distributing condoms in Myanmar" but the real reason was likely a power struggle between cardinal Raymond Leo Burke and Pope Francis. Critien and Festing were both kicked out of their positions in January 2017 and Boeselager was reinstated.

• Like 2

Writer, film critic, agony uncle, broadcaster and fisherman, Nick Fisher died unexpectedly, 17 November, aged 63.

ETA: Apparently, he went missing in 15 November, while walking his dog, and his body was discovered on the 17th. No cause of death give, but police are not treating it as suspicious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, time said:

Writer, film critic, agony uncle, broadcaster and fisherman, Nick Fisher died unexpectedly, 17 November, aged 63.

ETA: Apparently, he went missing in 15 November, while walking his dog, and his body was discovered on the 17th. No cause of death give, but police are not treating it as suspicious.

I remember him from "Screaming Reels" on Channel 4 years ago.

Oleg Sokolov, the legendary massage therapist for the USSR and Russian national teams, passed away at the age of 84.

He had worked in the national football team system since 1961 and had participated in six World Cups, four European Championships and three Olympic Games.

rfs.ru matchtv.ru

• Like 1