Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

I see Roger Corman is 96 today. The director of fabulous 1960s films based on Edgar Allen Poe stories such as The Pit & the Pendulum and The Masque of the Red Death - a very deathlist-y name, surely? Definitely one to bear in mind if he's still around at the end of the year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

I see Roger Corman is 96 today.

While on the topic of birthdays, a trio of potential debut names are turning 94 this week:

- James D. Watson, co-discoverer of the double helix DNA structure (April 6)

- Tom Lehrer, musical humorist and inventor of the Jell-O shot (April 9)

- Ethel Kennedy, widow of Robert F. Kennedy and human rights activist (April 11)

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

While on the topic of birthdays, a trio of potential debut names are turning 94 this week:

- James D. Watson, co-discoverer of the double helix DNA structure (April 6)

- Tom Lehrer, musical humorist and inventor of the Jell-O shot (April 9)

- Ethel Kennedy, widow of Robert F. Kennedy and human rights activist (April 11)

Tom Lehrer ought to be a mascot of the DL tbh.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

I see Roger Corman is 96 today. The director of fabulous 1960s films based on Edgar Allen Poe stories such as The Pit & the Pendulum and The Masque of the Red Death - a very deathlist-y name, surely? Definitely one to bear in mind if he's still around at the end of the year. 

In that same vein, Bert I. Gordon (who makes Corman look like Fellini by comparison) turns 100 in September.

Van Morrison is looking dreadful. The company he is keeping isn't much better. 

FPnDVSAX0AQ265c.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

FPnDVSAX0AQ265c.jpeg.jpg

Maybe the antivax stuff is finally catching up to him…

Imagine Van Morrison not being the biggest arsehole in a room.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Based on the pictures I saw getting his MBE - I think Rob Burrow would be good for next year as he has Motor Neurone Disease.

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

FPnDVSAX0AQ265c.jpeg.jpg

Bare in mind this was him performing in 2019. 

van-morrison-comments.jpg

19 hours ago, msc said:

Tom Lehrer ought to be a mascot of the DL tbh.

The only reason I remember my niece's birthday is because it's the same as Lehrer's. The only reason I remember my great nephew's birthday is because it's Freddie Mercury 's death anniversary.

Back in topic, caught a bit of Coronation Street while at my mum's and though Paula Wilcox looked very gaunt and seemed to be wearing a wig. Anyone know anything?

17 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

The only reason I remember my niece's birthday is because it's the same as Lehrer's. The only reason I remember my great nephew's birthday is because it's Freddie Mercury 's death anniversary.

Back in topic, caught a bit of Coronation Street while at my mum's and though Paula Wilcox looked very gaunt and seemed to be wearing a wig. Anyone know anything?

She always looked gaunt, like an emaciated hamster.

Check out Man About The House.:D

• Haha 1

I am going to share some gossip that I have read on other places on the Internet,  a whisper that came to me indirectly- neither of which I can vouch  for but seemed plausible and believable  to my judgement  and some  speculation or amateur reasoning of my own on the health of a British celebrity!

First name- Joel Grey.  On a handful of other places on the Internet  there was a claim made that to acknowledge  the 50th anniversary of the film Cabaret  the bosses putting together the Oscars really wanted  to have an onstage appearance  from Joel Grey as well as Liza Minnelli and really thought there was a good chance but apparently  health and frailty issues with Joel  meant that they couldn't  pull it off.  A decline in his wellbeing in recent  months rather than something sudden or minor was behind the disappointment according to this information  being teased and hinted at. 

The second one doesn't involve a specific  name but some interesting  information.  I was told very indirectly  recently ie information has gone through a chain of people so information is way beyond  second  hand that a veteran Coronation Street star sometime in the next year  is being given an honour like an obe or Dameship /Knighthood Sir.  They weren't specific if the person is still a cast member  but they did seem to allude to it being a female  . One of the reasons behind the timing of the award is concern about their long term health. 

My money would be on Barbara Knox or Eileen Derbyshire. 

And finally  I was surprised to find , at least to the best of my  brief  look through the tributes to June Brown  that there was nothing from Pam St Clement  her former EastEnders costar. They worked together for decades and were known to be friends off screen.  Pam did give a tribute when Barbara Windsor  died. My own suspicion is she is in poor  form. 

I could be wrong but that's my feeling. 

Pam is 80 next month. 

So Joel Grey,  Barbara Knox,  Eileen Derbyshire or another Corrie veteran and Pam St Clement,  all names worth considering for 2023  based on the information I have posted. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

She always looked gaunt, like an emaciated hamster.

Check out Man About The House.:D

She was never hefty, but I would hardly describe her as emaciated in Man About The House. Anyway, it seems she may have thyroid problems which probably explains her look.

21 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

So Joel Grey,  Barbara Knox,  Eileen Derbyshire or another Corrie veteran and Pam St Clement,  all names worth considering for 2023  based on the information I have posted. 

Regarding Pam St Clement. I just did a quick Google News search on her and found a Daily Express article from the last month stating she'd had "a year from hell" a few years ago due to a leg injury (link). She is now using medical marijuana/CBD to help with pain and kept/keeps cancelling her knee replacement operation.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Regarding Pam St Clement. I just did a quick Google News search on her and found a Daily Express article from the last month stating she'd had "a year from hell" a few years ago due to a leg injury (link). She is now using medical marijuana/CBD to help with pain and kept/keeps cancelling her knee replacement operation.

Thanks for the info. That goes some way towards explaining things but also confirms my suspicions or hunch to some extent. 

I expect she will likely by picked by more deadpoolers next year.

38 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I am going to share some gossip that I have read on other places on the Internet,  a whisper that came to me indirectly- neither of which I can vouch  for but seemed plausible and believable  to my judgement  and some  speculation or amateur reasoning of my own on the health of a British celebrity!

First name- Joel Grey.  On a handful of other places on the Internet  there was a claim made that to acknowledge  the 50th anniversary of the film Cabaret  the bosses putting together the Oscars really wanted  to have an onstage appearance  from Joel Grey as well as Liza Minnelli and really thought there was a good chance but apparently  health and frailty issues with Joel  meant that they couldn't  pull it off.  A decline in his wellbeing in recent  months rather than something sudden or minor was behind the disappointment according to this information  being teased and hinted at. 

The second one doesn't involve a specific  name but some interesting  information.  I was told very indirectly  recently ie information has gone through a chain of people so information is way beyond  second  hand that a veteran Coronation Street star sometime in the next year  is being given an honour like an obe or Dameship /Knighthood Sir.  They weren't specific if the person is still a cast member  but they did seem to allude to it being a female  . One of the reasons behind the timing of the award is concern about their long term health. 

My money would be on Barbara Knox or Eileen Derbyshire. 

And finally  I was surprised to find , at least to the best of my  brief  look through the tributes to June Brown  that there was nothing from Pam St Clement  her former EastEnders costar. They worked together for decades and were known to be friends off screen.  Pam did give a tribute when Barbara Windsor  died. My own suspicion is she is in poor  form. 

I could be wrong but that's my feeling. 

Pam is 80 next month. 

Thelma Barlow is older than Knox and Derbyshire.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Handrejka said:

Thelma Barlow is older than Knox and Derbyshire.

Good shout. 

If its a man then Malcolm Hebden and Geoff Hinsliff  spring to mind  but I guess it  depends how you define  Corrie Veteran. 

8 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Thanks for the info. That goes some way towards explaining things but also confirms my suspicions or hunch to some extent. 

I expect she will likely by picked by more deadpoolers next year.

She badly injured (broke iirc) her knee in 2019 and didn't seem to recover from it. 

Barbara Knox was still in Corrie last year and seemed decent nick for her age. Rula Lenska looked worse, and she's now been gone off the show for 8 months. (Although while recurring I don't think her role is an every week character.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Good shout. 

If its a man then Malcolm Hebden and Geoff Hinsliff  spring to mind  but I guess it  depends how you define  Corrie Veteran. 

I had forgotten Hinsilff was still alive and I didn't know until googling that he is Gabby Hinsliff's dad, though it seems obvious now I know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

She badly injured (broke iirc) her knee in 2019 and didn't seem to recover from it. 

Barbara Knox was still in Corrie last year and seemed decent nick for her age. Rula Lenska looked worse, and she's now been gone off the show for 8 months. (Although while recurring I don't think her role is an every week character.)

I am beginning  to think @Handrejka might be on the money with Thelma Barlow.  Or maybe  Eileen Derbyshire. 

It could be Sue Nicholls who has been in the show as Audrey since about 1985  but I think she is too active for it to be her. I could  be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I had forgotten Hinsilff was still alive and I didn't know until googling that he is Gabby Hinsliff's dad, though it seems obvious now I know. 

The guy who played Dennis Tanner is still alive I believe and he  really would be classed as a veteran  because of his characters roots  to the shows early days. His name escapes me? Peter something? I need to Google  him!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I am beginning  to think @Handrejka might be on the money with Thelma Barlow.  Or maybe  Eileen Derbyshire. 

It could be Sue Nicholls who has been in the show as Audrey since about 1985  but I think she is too active for it to be her. I could  be wrong. 

Sue Nicholls is still in it too. I think she's playing an ailing Audrey now but I don't really watch the show!

Barlow been quite private since retiring, no? 

60s semi-regular Ivan's actor is still around too, Ernst Walder, 95 this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Sue Nicholls is still in it too. I think she's playing an ailing Audrey now but I don't really watch the show!

Barlow been quite private since retiring, no? 

60s semi-regular Ivan's actor is still around too, Ernst Walder, 95 this year.

I really don't know much about  Thelma Barlow  these days except she is in her nineties and I think the last time she was in the news was when she paid tribute to Victoria Wood after she died in 2016 . They starred together on sitcom Dinner ladies. 

Sue Nicholls had a cancer scare but was caught early after a viewer spotted a lump in her throat and rang up itv studios to warn her to get it checked.  Something like that anyway!

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The guy who played Dennis Tanner is still alive I believe and he  really would be classed as a veteran  because of his characters roots  to the shows early days. His name escapes me? Peter something? I need to Google  him!

Philip Lowrie  he'll be 86 in June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

US Masters golf tournament starts tomorrow with the ceremonial drive off.Lee Elder who was nominated last year has already passed on so the three this year Jack Nicklaus  Gary Player or Tom Watson worthy of consideration

• Like 1