Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

A few suggestions:

- Sir Michael A. Epstein - Meets the famousness criteria and 102 next year. 

- Norman Lear - Doubtlessly mentioned before. Needs no introduction. Thread here.

- John Astin - Gomez Addams most famously. 93 next year. Thread here.

- Alan Oppenheimer - 93 next year. Doubtful whether he meets the notability criteria, but I think that, after William H. Gates, he ought to. 

- Rosey Grier - RFK's bodyguard, American Football Player, Protestant Minister, occasional Actor, and the bloke that caught Sirhan Sirhan is 91 next year. 

- James Hong - Still incredibly active, so I do not expect him to go yet, but a rather Deathlisty name. 94 next year. Thread here.

- Donald P. Bellisario - A name I am surprised I do not hear much about these 'ere parts. 88 next year. 

- David Sutherland - One of the creators of the modern Dennis the Menace ought to QO, and is 90 next year. Died 19th January 2023.

- Gladys West - One of the early developers of the GPS. 93 next year. Never mentioned before on this forum according to a quick search. 

- Hazel McCallion - 102 next year. Mentioned on the Ideas and Possibilities for 2022 thread. Ought to meet the famousness criteria.

- Bill Cobbs - The third nightguard in the Night at the Museum franchise, the other two being Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney, both DL alumni, is 89 next year. 

- Frank Drake - Initiator of the SETI programme. 93 next year. Died 2nd September 2022.

- Fred Roos - 89 next year. Apparently the man who introduced George Lucas to Harrison Ford. Also produced The Godfather II, which he won an Oscar for. 

- Lloyd Morrisett - One of the folks that created Sesame Street alongside Jim Henson and Joan Ganz Cooney. 94 next year. Died 15th January 2023.

- Joan Ganz Cooney - See Lloyd Morrisett.

- John Williams - The most prolific film composer of all time turns 91 next year. Bound to die as I have dropped him from the earliest draft of my Shadowlist. Thread here.

- Billy Dee Williams - Seems a tad premature, but, evident these past two years, such folk have a habit of turning up on the main list. 

- Paul Ignatius - This one's notability in the UK is questionable, but his death ought to be rather well-reported in the USA when it happens. 103 next year.

- Ashraf Ghani - Former Afghan President, as most should know following the August of 2021. Enemy of the Taliban, and has not had a whole stomach since the 1990s, as a result of cancer.

- Joan Morecambe - Only as questionable as William H. Gates. 96 next year.

- Bernard Donoughue - 89 next year and could succumb to chronic awful haircuts.

- Bas de Gaay Fortman - 86 next year and looked rather rough in the recent documentary about Queen Beatrix.

- Lando Buzzanca - In failing health in a nursing home, according to the Foreign Personalities thread. 88 next year.

- Frank Field - Terminal Cancer. Frankly (geddit?) should have been on this year's list, and probably will not see The New Year. That said, few expected him to celebrate his 80th birthday, and that was last month (at the time of this edit into the original post). Thread here.

- Terry Waite - One of those people that Summer Sr. thought died years ago. Everyone else on that list, bar Julian Glover, that I am aware of have died in the last two years. Thread here.

- Siân Phillips - 90 next year. Still somewhat active, however.

- Bela Lugosi - The son of Bela Lugosi. 85 next year. 

- Alvin Rakoff - The man that gave Sean Connery and Alan Rickman their first jobs is 96 next year and isn't looking that well. 

- Peter Falk - I hear he might have Alzheimer's.

- Jon Rumney - 95 next year, still rather active. 

- Jules Walter - 94 next year and, as far as I know, the oldest living actor to have appeared in any of the Star Wars films. 

- Caroline Blakiston - Many Bothans died to bring you this suggestion. 

- Cy Town - Another one like Jules Walter. Both would almost definitely find a place on the List of the Lost. 

- Leonard Peltier - Vice Presidential nominee in 2020 for a lesser-known party. Withdrew from the election not because he is serving two life sentences for murder but for health reasons unknown. He has previously been the victim of beatings in prison.

- Julian Glover - See Terry Waite.

- Alan Kooi Simpson - Has looked ancient for years. I honestly thought he would be dead by now. 92 next year.

- Daniel Ellsberg - The man that released the Pentagon Papers is still with us at 91.

- Wilhelm Buesing - Another rather unfamous name, with low, but not nonexistent, chances of a QO. 102 next March.

- Brian Murphy - 91 next year. The oldest living member of the main cast of Man About the House. Also said the famous line "During the war" when Buster Merryfield was still a banker. Thread here.

- Brian Cooke - The surviving of the two creators of Man About the House is 86 next year.

- Sir Colville Young - Governor-General of Belize for 27 years until his retirement in 2021. 90 in November. 

- Story Musgrave - The astronaut is 87 next August. Obitable? Yes. Obitable enough? Maybe.

- William Turnbull - The Hong Kong sailor that I discovered after Bill Turnbull died. 90 next year.

- Jane Fonda - Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. I think she will be on the list next year regardless of whether her death is imminent or not, she just seems like the kind of pick that the committee will go for as soon as news like this cancer diagnosis breaks, even if she stays on the list for a few years. Thread here.

- Peter Cellier - 95 next year. 

- Melvyn Hayes - 87 next year. 

- Baroness Jane Campbell - 64 next year. Can't see her making it to 80, maybe 70. She may have a few more years left in her yet, though. 

- Robert C. Wise - Ancient American politician. 98 next May.

- Bob Biard - The inventor of the Infared LED will Obit and is 92 next year. Died 23rd September 2022. Didn't Obit.

- Amartya Sen - 90 next year and probably famous enough for the DL.

- Richard M. Sherman - 95 next year. Probably the most Deathlisty name that has hardly been mentioned on this forum. 

- Ales Bialiatski - Byelorussian Nobel Laureate. Currently in prison for his work. Enemies of Putin/Lukashenko have a habit of "mysteriously" dying. 

- Luis Garavito - One of the most prolific serial killers of all time is eligible for parole in 2023, suffers from eye cancer, and needs blood transfusions regularly. 66 next year. 

- Norman Kember - A pacifist who went to Iraq to promote peace, and ended up being taken hostage. Born at somepoint in 1931.

- Wole Soyinka - The first black recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature. 89 next year.

- Amou Haji - The man dubbed 'dirtiest in the world' is 95 next year. Died 23rd October 2022.

- Franco Migliacci - The writer of Volare is 93 next year. 

- J. Reginald Murphy - A journalist whose main claim to fame is being the victim of a kidnapping some 50 years ago. 90 at some point next year.

- Charles Lagus - David Attenborough's cameraman for his original television show Zoo Quest. 95 next year.

- Yasushi Akashi - The UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs from 1996 to 1998 is 92 next January.

- W. Gifford-Jones - Born plain old Ken Walker in Croydon, he is a physician and author residing in Canada. 99 next February. 

- Lina Medina - Youngest mother ever, having given birth to a boy aged just 5 years, 7 months, and 21 days. 90 next year.

- Masahiro Mori - The creator and coiner of the term "Uncanny Valley" is 96 next year. 

- Meredith Belbin - A British researcher that, in 1981, created the Belbin Team Inventory (other names include the BSPI and BTRI, which stand for Belbin Self-Perception Inventory and Belbin Team Role Inventory respectively). He is 97 next year. 

- Per Waestberg - The current oldest serving member of The Swedish Academy. 90 next year. 

- Marion Kozak - Ed Milliband's mother is 89 next year.

- Gloria Dea - One of the last surviving centenarian stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood, as well as being the first magician to perform on the Las Vegas Strip, is 101 next year.

- Levin H. Campbell - 96 next January. Currently a serving US Court of Appeals Judge, albeit inactive. 

- Shoichiro Toyoda - Former Chairman of the Toyota group. 98 in February. Died 14th February 2023.

This list is still a work in progress. I shall update it when necessary.

• Like 4

On 07/06/2022 at 05:58, Philheybrookbay1 said:

Noddy ‘It’s CHRISTMASSSS’ Holder looking a tad thinner these days and dressing like my Nan. 

3E80684C-1B78-402D-BF03-B054B2B52C60.jpeg

Here he is all scrubbed up, off to Clarence House for Camilla's birthday lunch.

Former prime minister of Sri Lanka might be a pick for a future assassination - Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

On 13/07/2022 at 13:30, Toast said:

Here he is all scrubbed up, off to Clarence House for Camilla's birthday lunch.

Are we sure that's not Germain Greer posing with Craig Charles...?

Rhod Gilbert is being treated at a cancer hospital

• Shocked 1

So, if he makes next January what about John Hemingway, quite literally the last of the few and - a relative rarity on the DL - Irish, and currently resident in his native land 

john-hemingway-pilot-youtube.jpg?t=15611

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11015271/amp/EDEN-CONFIDENTIAL-Bitter-chapter-Fay-Weldons-26-year-marriage.html

British author and feminist  Fay Weldon is worth more deadpoolers attention.  According to this article about the  91 year olds recent divorce,  she is in a nursing home and now  cannot speak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

she is in a nursing home and now  cannot speak.

I prefer not to speak" - Jose Mourinho refuses to comment on the refereeing  against Chelsea - YouTube

• Haha 2

Aging Miriam Margolyes appeared on The Last Leg for first time since the whole wishing Boris dead bit. Reminds me she will totally be a hit for 4 DDP teams sometime in the next 5 years.

At which point I'm glad its @Death Impendsdoes the obits and not me, as trying to spell her name correct here damn near gave me a stress headache!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, msc said:

Aging Miriam Margolyes appeared on The Last Leg for first time since the whole wishing Boris dead bit. Reminds me she will totally be a hit for 4 DDP teams sometime in the next 5 years.

At which point I'm glad its @Death Impendsdoes the obits and not me, as trying to spell her name correct here damn near gave me a stress headache!

I love that woman. Anytime she is doing an interview she gives the most hilarious stories and if on things like Graham Norton she shocks the person next to her. She has no filter.

• Like 2

Over Three Months - No participation on the list for over three months, this must be a record!?

The tough part for many will be making the end of the year.............we could see a death race!

On 17/07/2022 at 01:31, Snowy said:

Over Three Months - No participation on the list for over three months, this must be a record!?

The tough part for many will be making the end of the year.............we could see a death race!

Last year there was nowt between 19th April 2021 and 17th September 2021: almost exactly 5 months. 

There is more information in the statistics thread in extracurricular if you are interested. 

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 14:36, arghton said:

Entomologist Ernst Jünger and LSD discoverer Albert Hofmann both used to "experiment" with LSD, Hofmann thought that his product was some "miracle drug" and likely used it in his older years. Both lived to 102.

Tony Bennett had a cocaine overdose in 1979, he's still living and 95.

Author Jörn Donner lived to nearly 87 despite smoking around one to two (or more) packs of cigars every day for over 50-60 years, also had a bad alcohol problem, multiple cancers and was once shot. Finnish tv sports presenter Anssi Kukkonen had a very long and serious problem with alcohol and he's still alive at 87. Has survived five cancers this far.

Meanwhile, the longest-lived heroin user I've heard of (after Richards) is Eric Clapton. Seventy six years old

Thought of this again, Sonny Rollins is 91.

Battled heroin addiction for years in the 1940s and 1950s. Can't name another nonagenarian former heroin addict. He's had pulmonary fibrosis for around ten years, average life expectancy 2-5 years from diagnosis.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 11:37, maryportfuncity said:

So, if he makes next January what about John Hemingway, quite literally the last of the few and - a relative rarity on the DL - Irish, and currently resident in his native land 

john-hemingway-pilot-youtube.jpg?t=15611

This sitcom character was also named John Hemingway. 

1 hour ago, TheKestrelofDoom said:

Clint Eastwood will be 93 in 2023.   

It will be an extremely sad day when it is his last rodeo. An idol of mine

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheKestrelofDoom said:

Clint Eastwood will be 93 in 2023.   

John Astin, Robert Wagner, Buzz Aldrin, George Soros and even Gene Hackman will also be 93 in 2023 and would be much better bets at this stage. 

Frankly, I expect Eastwood to die in 11 years from now but realistically, his DL induction should probably be made in 2025, I have a feeling he will be included on next year’s list however and be carried on each year for the next 10 years. 

• Like 4

I tend to keep track of birthdays of old/ill celebs/pool possibilities and world's oldest people, always great formspotting opportunities...Here's a longer list, 26 July - 26 August. Lots of names regularly mentioned here.

26 July: James Lovelock, 103 (turns out he died on his birthday, the day this was posted) and Wang Xiji, 101

27 July: Norman Lear, 100

28 July: Alberto Fujimori and Chuan Leekpai, 84

31 July: Stefan Arczyński, 106

2 August: Leo Beenhakker, 80

3 August: Tony Bennett, 96

4 August: Ali al-Sistani, 92 

8 August: Dustin Hoffman, 85

9 August: Akintola Williams, 103 and Leonid Kuchma, 84

11 August: Pervez Musharraf, 79

12 August, Queen Sirikit, 90 and George Soros, 92

13 August: Sofia Rojas, 115 (Didn't make it)

14 August: David Crosby, 81

16 August: Frank Mawer, 110

17 August: Jiang Zemin, 96 and Theodoros Pangalos, 84

18 August: Just Fontaine and Roman Polanski, 89, Hifikepunye Pohamba, 87, Robert Redford, 86

19 August: Hsing Yun, 95

20 August: Tripolino Giannini, 110, Don King, 91, Ron Paul, 87

21 August: Ethel Caterham, 113 and Sister Jean, 103, X. J. Kennedy, 93, Festus Mogae, 83

23 August: Rose Eaton, 113, Barbara Eden, 91

24 August: Vince McMahon, 77

25 August: Frederick Forsyth, 84

26 August: John Tinniswood, 110 and Jet Black, 84

• Like 6

23 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

It will be an extremely sad day when it is his last rodeo. An idol of mine

A unique  movie icon for sure. 

• Like 2