Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

37 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Apparently people tend to die around their birthday so maybe we'll have some hits in this list within a month. Who will be the first to die according to you ? 

Not sure. Maybe either...

One of the supercentenarians mentioned,

Vic Seixas, who has been frail for years,

Sonny Rollins, suffering from pulmonary fibrosis for years (longer than the usual life expectancy of someone with it? And he's a 91-year-old former heroin addict), forum "how's he still alive"-type,

Chaim Topol, in failing health with dementia,

Yusuf Qaradawi, who spent ages on life support with covid a year or two ago,

Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar, who returned to Oman to spend his "last days" there...nearly two years ago,

Kenneth McAlpine who is 101 and was too ill to be interviewed for a documentary two years ago,

Wan Haifeng, who seemed on the verge of death over two or three years ago, looked like a corpse but bounced back and is now 101, 

Barbara Walters, (allegedly) suffering from dementia,

or Manmohan Singh, who suffers from heart diseases, was given 10 years to live 11 or 12 years ago and was hospitalised last year. 

Or someone else from the list, you never know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arghton said:

Good idea, old/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc, pt. 2

27 August: Péter Boross and Mangosuthu Buthelezi, 94, Lien Chan, 86

28 August: Cleonice Berardinelli, 106, Paul Martin, 84

29 August: Iris Apfel, 101, Ashi Tashi Dorji, 99, Arnold Koller, 89

30 August: Vic Seixas, 99, Laurent de Brunhoff, 97, Alexander Lukashenko, 68

31 August: Martin Bell, 84

3 September: Irene Papas, 96, Pilar Pallete, 94, Armand Vaillancourt, 93, Dick Motta, 91

4 September: Giles Cropsey, 111, Mitzi Gaynor, 91, Vince Dooley, 90

5 September: Bob Newhart, 93, Carol Lawrence, 90

6 September: Fumihiko Maki, 94, Colin McColl, 90, David Allan Coe, 83

7 September: Sonny Rollins, 92, Abdou Diouf, 87, Latimore, 83

8 September: Jacqueline Ceballos, 97, Asha Bhosle and Donald Grey Triplett, 89, Sal Valentino, 80

9 September: Russell M. Nelson, 98, Yusuf Qaradawi, 96, Shirley Summerskill, 91, Chaim Topol, 87

10 September: C.R. Rao, 102, Bo Goldman, 90, Larry Sitsky, 88

11 September: George Joseph, 101, Earl Holliman, 94, Mátyás Szűrös and Rachid Sfar, 89, Arvo Pärt, 87, Queen Paola of Belgium, 85

12 September: Mathé Altéry, 95, Robert Irwin, 94

13 September: Anne Cernohorsky, 113, Barbara Bain, 91, Guntis Ulmanis, 83, Sitiveni Rabuka, 74, Arek Hersh, 94

14 September: Dominga Coca Garcia, 114?, Harry Sinden, 90, Walter Koenig, 86

15 September: Jean-Pierre Serre, 96, Viktor Zubkov, 81

16 September: Branka Veselinović, 104, Janis Paige, 100, Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar, 93, Micky Stewart, 90, Steve Shirley, 89, Billy Boy Arnold, 87

17 September: David Craig, Baron Craig of Radley, 93, Chuck Grassley, 89, David Souter, 83, Des Lynam, 80

18 September: Nermin Abadan Unat, 101, Robert Blake, 89

19 September: Rosemary Harris, 95, David McCallum, 89

20 September: Sophia Loren, 88

21 September: Kenneth McAlpine, 102, Shirley Conran, 90, Stephen King, 75

22 September: Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele, 102, Betty Reid Soskin, 101, James Lawson, 94

23 September: Georg Keßler, 90, Prem Chopra and Les McCann, 87

24 September: Bert I. Gordon, 100, Brian Glanville, 91

25 September: Wan Haifeng, 102, Barbara Walters, 93, Terry Medwin and Brian Murphy, 90, Michael Douglas, 78

26 September: James Hennessy, 99, Manmohan Singh, 90

27 September: Marcia Neugebauer, 90, Claude Jarman Jr., 88

Great work! 

I have added three (four at a push, I'm still deliberating whether Sue Perkins, who has had a brain tumour since 2007, would qualify because she seems to be absolutely fine) others in bold that could also prove good additions. I have no other input, as you have covered just about everyone of note/relevance. 

Former footballer Neil Ruddock just seen him in an advert about life insurance looked terrible, will be paying out on him soon by the looks of him. 

20 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

Former footballer Neil Ruddock just seen him in an advert about life insurance looked terrible, will be paying out on him soon by the looks of him. 

He's got a pacemaker, a dodgy liver and still drinks heavily. Paul Merson (an alcoholic prone to fallen off the wagon) called him out for this on one of ITV's fluff football shows and it caused a genuine scene which they kept in the finished programme. No way Ruddock sees 60 imo.

13 minutes ago, msc said:

He's got a pacemaker, a dodgy liver and still drinks heavily. Paul Merson (an alcoholic prone to fallen off the wagon) called him out for this on one of ITV's fluff football shows and it caused a genuine scene which they kept in the finished programme. No way Ruddock sees 60 imo.

Yeah I watched the programme your talking about with Paul Merson he looks way worse now and he wasn’t great then, I agree no way he makes 60. 

Ruddock is defo one that won't see old age. 

Kenny Sansom another one who might not make it. Has his issues but doesn't "look as bad" as Ruddock

Surprised he doesn't have his own thread after 2 decades tbh. Anyhow, Richard Dawkins showed up in the University Challenge 60th anniversary doc. Given his health issues recently, he looking in decent nick compared to a few years ago. But even so, reminder that he's 81 and not as robust as he once was.

Dawkins 2022.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, msc said:

Surprised he doesn't have his own thread after 2 decades tbh. Anyhow, Richard Dawkins showed up in the University Challenge 60th anniversary doc. Given his health issues recently, he looking in decent nick compared to a few years ago. But even so, reminder that he's 81 and not as robust as he once was.

Dawkins 2022.png

Definitely thread-worthy

A new one for the "never mentioned on here" list: Charles R. Swindoll, now 87, is an evangelical Christian preacher whose Insight for Living radio program is broadcast on other 2,000 channels worldwide. However, more importantly, he was the first person to coin the term "catfishing" - he meant it strictly to define a sinner who keeps a Christian thinking about their faith. That guy quoting him in the 2010 documentary of the same name, and the subsequent hit TV show from Max and Nev, saw its definition change to mean someone who has a fake or inaccurate internet presence.

Robert Solow just turned 98 a few days ago. Might be one to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I.R.Baboon said:

Never heard about Prophet of Doom Mark Davis before, but well, he's dying. Interesting (but not hopeful) interview.

That's interesting.

I knew Mike Davis was ill (he's been a cult deadpool pick this summer) but The Guardian covering him increases DDP obit chances significantly...

2 hours ago, I.R.Baboon said:

Never heard about Prophet of Doom Mark Davis before, but well, he's dying. Interesting (but not hopeful) interview.

Not called a prophet of doom for nothing.

Doc Severinson, one of America's Top Trumpet performers, used to play trumpet on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He lead the Tonight Show band for many years. He is now retiring at the age of 95.  I think you could definitely start purring him on the list, starting next year: https://bestclassicbands.com/doc-severinsen-final-concert-8-31-22/

Edited by chiesa52
more info added
  • Like 2

Not mentioned a lot here (in fact his surname only has 39 mentions), but a major name that will obit: Boris Spassky

The chess GM who famously lost to Bobby Fischer 50 years ago is now 85 and in bad health. He's had two strokes and has been in frail health since his second, more severe stroke in 2010. Rarely seen anywhere anymore

• Like 6

On 06/01/2022 at 19:42, Phantom said:

Just saw this article on Englebert Humperdinck having cancelled his tour due to bronchial issues.

His wife died last year from Covid. Certainly with the new variant, this potentially puts him at risk.

The 1987 version of Hansel and Gretel used a few songs he wrote from a previous Hansel and Gretel Musical .  That said film features Cloris Leachman  (2021 death) and David Warner(2022 death)

Maybe he is next in 2023

With this week's news someone mentioned the film King Ralph in which John Goodman plays a Las Vegas club singer who becomes King after the entire British Royal Family is wiped out in a freak accident. Anyway, I notice that the actor who played the King who was killed off in that film, Tim Seely, is still alive aged 87. 

• Like 3

People I’d like to see on next year list :

- Liza Minnelli

- Mitzi Gaynor

- Edward duke of Kent

- Pope Benedict

- Tippi Hedren

- Robert Solow 

- Joanne Woodward

- Eva Marie Saint 

- Raul Castro

- Frank Gehry 

- Berry Gordy 

- Irène Papas

- Georges Soros

- Leontyne Price 

- Michael Caine 

- Bernadette Chirac

- Robert Wagner 

- Maggie Smith

Other folks Who probably don’t meet the fame criteria but Who will definitely obit

- Lee Grant 

Marianne Bernadotte 
Benjamin Ferencz

- Al Jaffee

- Amadou Mahtar M’Bow

- Gordon Moore

- Gena Rowlands

- Isabel Peron

- Constantin II
- John Astin

- Roger Corman

- Maria Riva 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

People I’d like to see on next year list :

- Liza Minnelli

- Mitzi Gaynor

- Edward duke of Kent

- Pope Benedict

- Tippi Hedren

- Robert Solow 

- Joanne Woodward

- Eva Marie Saint 

- Raul Castro

- Frank Gehry 

- Berry Gordy 

- Irène Papas

- Georges Soros

- Leontyne Price 

5 of them you named here are already on my shadow list draft.

23 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Other folks Who probably don’t meet the fame criteria but Who will definitely obit

Benjamin Ferencz
- Isabel Peron

- Constantin II
- John Astin

These four I reckon do meet the fame criteria.

Ferencz is the last prosecutor alive from the Nuremburg Trials, which was a major part of WW2 History. Least likely of the four, I agree.

Peron was both President and First Lady of Argentina. As obitable as Menem, who most expected to turn up on the list.

Constantine II was the King of Greece. Entirely meets the fame criteria.

John Astin was the first actor to portray Gomez Addams on television, and is one of the last living adult cast members of the series.

• Like 3