Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

17 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

These four I reckon do meet the fame criteria.

Ferencz is the last prosecutor alive from the Nuremburg Trials, which was a major part of WW2 History. Least likely of the four, I agree.

Peron was both President and First Lady of Argentina. As obitable as Menem, who most expected to turn up on the list.

Constantine II was the King of Greece. Entirely meets the fame criteria.

John Astin was the first actor to portray Gomez Addams on television, and is one of the last living adult cast members of the series.

Yeah Peron Constantin and Astin could meet the fame criteria I agree but I don’t know, I feel like if they were to be on the list, they would have already been on it already. It’s not the Kind of celebrity Who make the final cute imo : Menem didn’t, we didn’t have any royal european leader outside of UK and there are other well known and iller actor than Astin. Maybe Constantin will be at some point. 
Lee Grant might be famous enough I think but Same i don’t think she will ever be in

• Like 2

Lee Grant and Gena Rowlands are definitely notable enough for inclusion IMO. Grant won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar and had three other nominations, and Rowlands had a 60+ year career with multiple Emmys, Golden Globes, and an honorary Oscar, along with two competitive nominations. There have been far less luminous thespians on the list in the past.

Roger Corman could make it. Turning 97, incredibly important figure in cinema, one of the few living people who directed movies in the 1950s, extremely long career, also has an honorary Academy Award. Haven't been many directors on the list from what I've seen lurking, but I doubt anyone would complain if he made it on.

• Like 3

John Astin is def famous enough. Never mind the Addams Family, he was The Riddler! He was in Eerie Indiana! He got bumped off in Night Gallery! Absolutely an "Oh that guy" recognisable face. He's also only 92, so it's not like if he was going to make it, he would have by now - time yet.

Lee Grant was a 70s Columbo killer, so again, clearly a notable person.

Roger Corman, I'm surprised there's any debate over. His films have been regular schedule fillers on UK TV for the past 60 years. Usually the same ones, with Vincent Price. I used to watch his films on Saturday omnibuses as kids, and my dad used to do the same when he was a kid. Proper big name, imo.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tracy said:

Lee Grant and Gena Rowlands are definitely notable enough for inclusion IMO. Grant won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar and had three other nominations, and Rowlands had a 60+ year career with multiple Emmys, Golden Globes, and an honorary Oscar, along with two competitive nominations. There have been far less luminous thespians on the list in the past.

Roger Corman could make it. Turning 97, incredibly important figure in cinema, one of the few living people who directed movies in the 1950s, extremely long career, also has an honorary Academy Award. Haven't been many directors on the list from what I've seen lurking, but I doubt anyone would complain if he made it on.

13 minutes ago, msc said:

John Astin is def famous enough. Never mind the Addams Family, he was The Riddler! He was in Eerie Indiana! He got bumped off in Night Gallery! Absolutely an "Oh that guy" recognisable face. He's also only 92, so it's not like if he was going to make it, he would have by now - time yet.

Lee Grant was a 70s Columbo killer, so again, clearly a notable person.

Roger Corman, I'm surprised there's any debate over. His films have been regular schedule fillers on UK TV for the past 60 years. Usually the same ones, with Vincent Price. I used to watch his films on Saturday omnibuses as kids, and my dad used to do the same when he was a kid. Proper big name, imo.

Agree with both of you ! Actually should have called them « people Who could be famous enough but are surprisingly not considered by  thé commitee ». But i doubt Maria Riva, Al Jaree and Amadou Mahtar M’Bow would be on this list 

Lauch Faircloth turns 95 in January. Reading his wiki page he seems to have been a very mediocre and despicable senator and person.

One for @Ulitzer95 most likely. Terrible with recognising old folk on TV without help. At King Charles's proclamation earlier, any idea who the old guy in the wheelchair Emily Thornberry helped move out of the room was? My mind went blank at the time and social media is providing no help. 

12 minutes ago, msc said:

One for @Ulitzer95 most likely. Terrible with recognising old folk on TV without help. At King Charles's proclamation earlier, any idea who the old guy in the wheelchair Emily Thornberry helped move out of the room was? My mind went blank at the time and social media is providing no help. 

I will try and help you but provide me with a pic first. Am I fuck going on BBC iPlayer and watching through the whole sodding ceremony again.

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I will try and help you but provide me with a pic first. Am I fuck going on BBC iPlayer and watching through the whole sodding ceremony again.

:lol: Legit thought you'd seen it and would go "Oh it was Lord so and so, remember he was Education Secretary?" 

I'll have a look for a pic.

Here he is. He was only on screen for about 2 seconds at 41.16 into the event, so that's the best screenshot I can get. 

wheelchair man.jpg

Pre-1925 celebrities more or less famous, some of them whom we already talked about quite a lot her, others not as much  

Muazzez İlmiye Çığ (b. 1914) : archeologist 

- Lise Norgaard (b. 1917) : journalist 

- Naomi Replanski (b. 1918) : poet 

- Doris Grumbach (b. 1918) : author

- Brenda Milner (b. 1918) : neuropsychologist 

- Louise Tobin (b. 1918) : singer 

- Evelyn Witkin (b. 1921) : geneticist 

- Hans Albert (b. 1921) : philosopher 

- Agnes Keleti (b. 1921) : olympic gymnast

- Bill Butler (b. 1921) : cinematographer

- Ken Potts (b. 1921) : last Pearl Harbor survivors  

- Lou Conter (b. 1921) : last Pearl Harbor survivors

- Wanda Poltawska (b.1921) : holocaust survivor 

- Walter Mirisch (b. 1921) : producer 

- Charley Trippi (b. 1921) : footballer

- Ronald Blythe (B. 1922) : author

- Bud Anderson (b. 1922) : WWII pilot

- Ray Anthony (b. 1922) : musician and trompetist 

- Bernard Kalb (b. 1922) : journalist

- Rachel Robinson (b. 1922) : professor and activist 

- John Goodenough (b. 1922) : Nobel prize récipient (physic)

- Yang Chen Ning (b. 1922) : Nobel prize récipient (physic)

- Bert L Gordon (B. 1922) : producer 

- William Leuchtenburg (b. 1922) : historian 

- Jimmy Weldon (b. 1923) : actor

- Jack Burke Jr. (B. 1923) : golfer 

- James L. Buckley (b. 1923) : politician

- David H. Murdock (b.1922) : businessman 

- Olav Thon (b.1923) : real estate developer 

- Rudolph A. Marcus (b. 1923) : Nobel prize recipient (physic)

- Vic Seixas (b. 1923) : tennisman

- David Oreck (b. 1923) : businessman

- Al Quie (b. 1923) : politician

- Ned Rorem (b. 1923) : composer 

- Ida vitale (b.1923) : poet 

- Gloria Whelan (b.1923) : poet 

- Menahem Pressier (b.1923) : pianist

- Carol Cook (b. 1924) : actress 

- Mina Gregori (b.1924) : art historian

- Khamtai Siphandon (b.1924) : laos former president 

- Tomiichi Murayama (b.1924) : former japanese PM

- Guillermo Rodriguez Lara (b. 1924) : equatorian dictator 

- Jane Morgan (b. 1924) : singer 

- Priscilla Pointer (b. 1924) : actress

- Philip Pearlstein (b. 1924) : painter 

- Marshall Allen (b.1924) : musician 

- Torsten Wiesel (b. 1924) Nobel prize recipient (medicine)

- Edward Field (b. 1924) : poet

- Ella Jenkins (b. 1924) : singer 

- Lee Adams (b. 1924) : lyricist

- Russell M. Nelson (b. 1924) : doctor and religious 

- J. William Middendorf (b.1924) : politician 

- Terry Gibbs (b. 1924) : pianist 

-Joyce Randolph (b. 1924) : actress

- William Russell (b. 1924) : actor 

- Robert M. Young (b. 1924) : producer 

- Mildred Miller (b. 1924) : soprano

- Dub Jones (b. 1924) : footballer 

- Charlie Munger (b. 1924) : businessman

- Woody Woodbury (b. 1924) : actor 

1/3 could be dead in one year from now imo. Wonder how many will get a proper qo. 

1925-1930 list coming  

• Like 1

I have no idea @msc, sorry.

There are over 700 Rt. Honourables currently alive. Only 200 were allowed at the ceremony so they drew lots.** For that reason, it wasn’t the best event for form spotting. 

** Worth noting though that some were automatically admitted, for example all former and current first ministers and leaders of the opposition. They were all there to my knowledge, minus Corbyn who likely snubbed it, cos he’s a republican, and a cunt.

Got your answer @msc. It’s her husband, Sir Christopher Nugee (wiki), 63, and a current Court of Appeal judge.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Got your answer @msc. It’s her husband, Sir Christopher Nugee (wiki), 63, and a current Court of Appeal judge.

Many thanks!

At least that nobbles my "why can't I recognise this presumably famous politician?" annoyance. :D

• Like 1

Donnie Dunagan was the voice of young Bambi, and possibly the last remaining cast member of the 1939 film Son of Frankenstein. He's currently 88. Also he's a retired United States Marine Corps major.

31 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

- Evelyn Witkin (b. 1921) : geneticist 

- Hans Albert (b. 1921) : philosopher 

- Agnes Keleti (b. 1921) : olympic gymnast

- Bill Butler (b. 1921) : cinematographer

- Ken Potts (b. 1921) : last Pearl Harbor survivors  

- Lou Conter (b. 1921) : last Pearl Harbor survivors

- Wanda Poltawska (b.1921) : holocaust survivor 

- Walter Mirisch (b. 1921) : producer 

- Charley Trippi (b. 1921) : footballer

Some others for your list:

- Sir Michael A. Epstein (b.1921): Scientist; Co-discovered the Epstein-Barr Virus.

- Hazel McCallion (b.1921): Politician; Mayor of Mississauga.

- Wilhelm Buesing (b.1921): Equestrian; Silver Medallist of the 1952 Helsinki Olympics in Team Eventing

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

- Yang Chen Ning (b. 1922) : Nobel prize récipient (physic)

- Bert L Gordon (B. 1922) : producer 

- William Leuchtenburg (b. 1922) : historian 

These three will also all celebrate their 100th birthdays this month, Chen-Ning on the 22nd, Gordon on the 24th and Leuchtenburg on the 28th. All semi-large names (atleast compared to nearly all of the people on Wikipedia's living centenarians list) especially Chen-Ning, all mentioned on this forum multiple times before

• Like 1

As the Pierre Cardin spot is now free, what about Valentino or Giorgio Armani?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arghton said:

These three will also all celebrate their 100th birthdays this month, Chen-Ning on the 22nd, Gordon on the 24th and Leuchtenburg on the 28th. All semi-large names (atleast compared to nearly all of the people on Wikipedia's living centenarians list) especially Chen-Ning, all mentioned on this forum multiple times before

Yang is the greatest living physicist and and absolute A-lister.

Nepal's ex-Queen Mother/Grandmother/whatever Ratna, perennial pool pick who has been ill for a while ("ailing" in 2008, hospitalised multiple times in recent years) underwent cataract surgery two weeks ago at 94. 

• Thanks 1

Names that should stay, should they see the end of the year (in no particular order):

- Angela Lansbury replaced with Dick Van Dyke. 

- Heinz Kissinger. 

- Bob Barker. 

- Jimmy Carter. 

- Rosalynn Carter. 

- Stanley Baxter.

- Edson Arantes do Nascimento. 

- Milan Kundera.

- Douglas Hurd.

- Lord Tebbit.

- Nigel Starmer-Smith 

- Ted Kaczynski. 

- Dick Cheney. 

- Tony Bennett. 

- Harry Bellanfanti. 

- Ding Dong Leslie Phillips replaced with Sir Bobby Charlton. 

- Jerry Lee Lewis replaced with James Whale. 

- Jacques Delors.

- Bill Treacher replaced with Burt Bacharach. 

- Mel Brooks. 

- Joss Ackland. 

- Jean-Luc Godard replaced with Akihito. 

- Noam Chomsky.

- Jean-Marie Le Pen. 

Names that should be added (again, should they see the end of the year):

- Bas de Gaay Fortman.

- Sir Michael A. Epstein.

- Norman Lear. 

- Rosey Grier.

- Tomiichi Murayama. 

- Bob Newhart. 

- Volodymyr Zelenskyy or Vladimir Putin (depends on how the war goes). 

- Sonny Rollins.

- Joanne Woodward. 

- Dame Sian Phillips. 

- John Williams. 

- Richard Franklin. 

- Jane Fonda. 

- Harry Whittington. 

- Frank Field. 

- James Earl Jones. 

- Buzz Aldrin. 

- Lando Buzzanca. 

- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.  

- Imelda Marcos.

- James Hong. 

- Donald P. Bellisario. 

- Caroline Blakiston.

- Pervez Musharraf. 

- Doddie Weir replaced with Rob Burrow. 

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

As the Pierre Cardin spot is now free, what about Valentino or Giorgio Armani?

Or Mary Quant.

• Like 3

Lots of talk on the internet about Leon Lamar (imdb) who's been in multiple films, series, such as Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) and She-Hulk (2022). He's apparently 103 years old. Mentioning as, as far as I know he's never been mentioned here before

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arghton said:

Lots of talk on the internet about Leon Lamar (imdb) who's been in multiple films, series, such as Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) and She-Hulk (2022). He's apparently 103 years old. Mentioning as, as far as I know he's never been mentioned here before

Interesting. I looked him up. Public records suggest he was born in October 1935. He's also a convicted sex offender (yikes) which confirms the 1935 date.

It seems the whimsical claim that he's well into his 100s originates with this interview with Rhys Coiro, where he says "my sidekick, by the way, [is played by] Leon Lamar an amazing actor who is 104 years old. At the time of shooting, I guess he was only 102 or 103, but I believe he is now 104... I was just in a constant state of interviewing him, and learning about his amazing life. I mean, he didn’t even start acting until he was in his late seventies." His wife later backed it up on Instagram, although her math is a little off.

Crikey. He's clearly nowhere near 104! Guess Coiro is pretty gullible.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 3

Well that's the most depressing downgrade of a new name I've seen in some time. "Turns out he's not a centenarian actor, he's an old paedo instead."

• Haha 12

The great Tom Lehrer will be 95 next year

• Like 2