Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

I can certainly envision Julie Goodyear making her DL debut next year.

It would equally not surprise me seeing 2023 DL newcomers like Richard Wilson, Richard Franklin and Richard O’Sullivan. 

• Like 2

Amou Haji, "the dirtiest man in the world" is about 90 next year. According to some reports, he smokes multiple cigarettes at once, hasn't bathed in years, and is caked in dirt. 

Despite all of this, reports also consider him incredibly healthy, likely a result of an immune system strengthened by his many years of squalor. 

• Like 4

On 15/10/2022 at 02:27, The Daredevil said:

It would equally not surprise me seeing 2023 DL newcomers like Richard Wilson, Richard Franklin and Richard O’Sullivan. 

Julie Goodyear would be an excellent choice by the committee. 

• Like 1

Never mentioned before on this forum according to a quick search, but Franco Migliacci, the songwriter begind Nel blu, dipinto di blu (or Volare) is 92 later this month, alive, and likely Obitable.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2022 at 02:27, The Daredevil said:

I think 2023 will probably be the year for Richard Franklin and (sad to say) William Russell - I think the DL should include at least one of them. 

• Like 3

It’ll be truly staggering if June Spencer (providing she doesn’t go in 2022), is omitted from next year’s list. She fits all the right criteria, she is older than all the current candidates, she is 100% guaranteed to get a BBC obit, she is now in her retirement and her contribution to British radio over decades and decades has been largely unmatchable. 

• Like 3

100% certainties to be on the 2023 DL (unless they go in 2022) 

Henry Kissinger

Jimmy Carter

Leslie Phillips

Bob Barker

Burt Bacharach 

Alan Greenspan

Dick Van Dyke

David Attenborough

Rosalynn Carter

Tony Bennett

Nigel Starmer-Smith

Mel Brooks

Jacques Delors

Sandy Gall

Stanley Baxter

Harry Belafonte 

Nigel Lawson (I had previously overlooked this one but he’ll be back on the DL next year for sure, if he doesn’t go before January 1st 2023)

Vladimir Putin (with all his recent health gossip, the DL committee will have to put him on, potentially the next no. 50)

Rolf Harris (very likely to go before the end of the year though)

Willie Nelson 

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Emperor Akihito 

Pope Benedict

Bob Newhart 

Imelda Marcos

• Like 1

Eva Marie Saint - 98, oldest currently living Oscar winner

Nancy Olson - 94, nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Sunset Boulevard

I would be sad if either of them left us next year :(

• Like 1

I can easily see Marion Ross taking Estelle Harris’ American sitcom actress position, on the 2023 DL. 

• Like 1

What about Lee Grant?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

100% certainties to be on the 2023 DL (unless they go in 2022) 

Henry Kissinger

Jimmy Carter

Leslie Phillips

Bob Barker

Burt Bacharach 

Alan Greenspan

Dick Van Dyke

David Attenborough

Rosalynn Carter

Tony Bennett

Nigel Starmer-Smith

Mel Brooks

Jacques Delors

Sandy Gall

Stanley Baxter

Harry Belafonte 

Nigel Lawson (I had previously overlooked this one but he’ll be back on the DL next year for sure, if he doesn’t go before January 1st 2023)

Vladimir Putin (with all his recent health gossip, the DL committee will have to put him on, potentially the next no. 50)

Rolf Harris (very likely to go before the end of the year though)

Willie Nelson 

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Emperor Akihito 

Pope Benedict

Bob Newhart 

Imelda Marcos

imho, Van Dyke, Brooks, Akihito and Attenborough could be dropped. I know it's risky, but I like when things go risky ! They all seems quite healthy for their age and even if they are "too big to miss", I wouldn't mind taking the risk as I think they all have great chances to live for a few more time (it is to say, more than a year). Of course they can go anytime at their age (and I probably just jinxed their life expectancy) but if they go next year,  the committee will have 0 merit imo. They would have more merit if they drop them and that they all survive the year. 

I wouldn't mind them being replaced by Pope Francis, Michael Caine, Bernadette Chirac and Constantin II (or Tippi Hedren :p) 

I myself took the risk of letting LePen out of my French lists since I began deathlisting 4 years ago. It turned out to be successful till now but I think I'll include him next year as he's getting older. Surprisingly still active and in "good health" apparently… Same for Line Renaud whom every French people consider as a good pick but whom I personally never chose because I took the risk : she wasn't ill, just old but quite healthy, active and even though she is "too big to be missed", I'm glad I've made that decision. I only put Bardot on my list this year because of the pressure of my friend but I didn't want to. Will probably take her back next year considering there's no new thing about her health, don't care if she's "too big to miss too"

also, can someone sum up Putin's health scares for me ? I didn't follow 

edit : waiting for Lepen and Line Renaud to die on the same day to prove me wrong. One of them wouldn't be a loss. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Pope Francis seems pretty unlikely to me. 

I don't think they will put it either. I don't seem them putting two popes on a single list. But I wouldn't mind having him considering his recent health problem. 

Btw is there a poll on which pope will be the last one standing ? Rare situation where we have two popes alive, it won't happen again in our lifetime I think. would be interesting. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Just unsubstantiated Parkinson’s and terminal cancer rumours from various news outlets. 

I also see no reason why Len Deighton shouldn’t debut on the 2023 DL. As far as spy authors go, he is a real trailblazer and will be 94 years old in four months.

Maybe time for some more Last of the Summer Winers too: Brian Murphy, Barbara Young and Roy Clarke (writer).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

In addition to the unsubstantiated Parkinson's/cancer, there has been signs with his nihilistic behavior, his face has mooned out (likely from steroids), gripping the table during meetings, and there was a widely reported surgery mid-May but we don't really know what it was. Not the best source but it compiles a lot of the claims with videos: https://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-cancer-surgery-claimswhat-we-do-know-what-we-dont-1709689

• Like 1

Currently much more likely to be killed than die from natural causes in my opinion.

• Like 5

Long time lurker, first time poster..

Not sure if he’s been mentioned before but one for me personally to watch in 2023 would be Neil Diamond. Diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2018 which meant he had to retire from touring, last photo I saw of him he didn’t look too great.

he could have a few more years left in him yet but could be one to watch

• Like 8

Knowing the DL committee’s way of thinking, William Roache and Jane Fonda will likely be making debuts next year.

The bigger question is: will CNN founder Ted Turner (Fonda’s ex-husband), ever make the DeathList? Big name in the US but not so big in the UK. What do we think? Will we see Turner on one day? He doesn’t feel like the Committee’s kind of pick, to be honest.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Knowing the DL committee’s way of thinking, William Roache and Jane Fonda will likely be making debuts next year.

The bigger question is: will CNN founder Ted Turner (Fonda’s ex-husband), ever make the DeathList? Big name in the US but not so big in the UK. What do we think? Will we see Turner on one day? He doesn’t feel like the Committee’s kind of pick, to be honest.

One Turner that I would like to return is Tina

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

I absolutely agree with you, but Roache could definitely be left for a few more years. He is in great health for his age, could easily pass for Ken Barlow's age of almost 10 years younger, and shouldn't trouble us for a good few years yet. I can see him making 95.

• Like 2

Any objections to George Cohen accompanying Bobby? Geoff Hurst has had his fair share of health issues lately so he may make a nice hatrick but I might leave Hurst off until 2025 at this rate.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 03:05, arghton said:

Old (85+)/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc pt. 3 a bit early so that I won't forget , especially October (1st, 16th,)seems to have a lot of interesting birthdays. 

20 October: James C. Floyd, 108, Gaositwe Chiepe, 100, V. S. Achuthanandan, 99, Barrie Chase, 89, Wanda Jackson and Juan Marichal, 85

21 October: Joyce Randolph and Driss Guiga, 98, Virginia Zeani, 97, Ivan Silayev, 92, Maureen Duffy, 89 

22 October: Estela de Carlotto, 92, Peter Cook, 86, José Larralde, 85, Joaquim Chissano, 83, Catherine Deneuve, 79

23 October: Ned Rorem, 99, Zhu Rongji, 94, Luis Alarcón, 93, Chi-Chi Rodríguez, 87, Charles Goodhart and Philip Kaufman, 86, Pelé, 82

24 October: Johan Galtung, 92, Norman Rush, 89, Mark Tully, 87, Bill Wyman, 86 

25 October: Paul Mwazha, 104?, Marion Ross, 94, Vitold Fokin, 90, Rusty Schweickart, 87

26 October: Juli Lynne Charlot and Ágnes Bartha, 100, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, 88

27 October: Paul Fox, 97, Gilles Vigneault, 94, Maurice Robert Johnston, 93, Giorgos Konstantinou, 88, Mauricio de Sousa, 87, John Cleese, 83

Old (85+)/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc pt. 4. 

28 October: Elinor Otto, 103, Cleo Laine, 95, William Rodgers, Baron Rodgers of Quarry Bank, 94, Joan Plowright, 93, Bernie Ecclestone, 92, Lenny Wilkens, 85, Howard Blake and Kenneth Best, 84

29 October: Frank Sedgman, 95, Omara Portuondo, 92, Joyce Gould, Baroness Gould of Potternewton, 90, Michael Jayston, 85

30 October: Senovio Saavedra Muela, 110, Jean Chapman, 93, Christopher Foster, 92, David M. Wilson, 91, Robert Caro and Jim Perry, 87, Dick Vermeil, 86, Claude Lelouch and Brian Price, 85

31 October: Dan Rather, 91, Phil Goyette, 89, Dale Brown and David Harvey, 87, Tom Paxton, 85

1 November: Shi Ping, 110, Frances Hesselbein, 107, Marcel Ophuls, 95, A. Q. M. Badruddoza Chowdhury and Francis Arinze, 90, Gillian Knight, 88, Gary Player, 87, Shizuka Kamei, 86, Bill Anderson, 85

2 November: William A. Jenkins, 105, Mai Raud-Pähn, 102, Wanda Półtawska, 101, Michael Loewe, 100, Paul Johnson, 94, Ken Rosewall, 88, Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, 87, Pat Buchanan, 84, Kabosu (Doge), 17

3 November: Valdas Adamkus, 96, Brian Robinson, Tsutomu Seki and Lois Smith, 92, Michael Dukakis and Amartya Sen, 89, Kenneth Baker, Baron Baker of Dorking, 88, Roy Emerson, 86

4 November: Guillermo "Bombita" Rodriguez, 98, Anastasios of Albania, 93, Dick Groat, 92, Barry Crocker and Elgar Howarth, 87, Loretta Swit, 85

5 November: John F. Gonge, 101, Sydney Kentridge and María Isabel Rodríguez, 100, Chan Sek Keong and Harris Yulin, 85, Cesar Luis Menotti, 84

6 November: Ronald Blythe and Uriel García Cáceres, 100, François Englert, 90, Bas de Gaay Fortman, 85

7 November: Maria Aulenbacher, 113, Mihai Șora, 106, Eric Kandel, 93, Rudy Boschwitz, 92, G. Edward Griffin, 91, Gwyneth Jones and Al Attles, 86

8 November: Bessie Hendricks, 115, Eileen Kramer, 108, Silvana Lattmann, 104, Walter Mirisch, 101, Victorinus Youn Kong-hi, 98, Darleane C. Hoffman, 96, L. K. Advani, 95, Jim Redman and Paolo Taviani, 91, Ugo Mifsud Bonnici, 90, Alain Delon, 87, Joseph James DeAngelo, 77, 

9 November: Whitey Herzog, 91, Ingvar Carlsson, 88, David Wolfson, Baron Wolfson of Sunningdale, 87, Bob Graham, 86, Roger McGough and Donald Trelford, 85

10 November: Honor McKellar, 102, Igor Dmitriyevich Novikov, 87

11 November: Louise Tobin, 104, Paul Ignatius, 102, Hans Magnus Enzensberger, 93, Mabandla Dlamini, 92, Stephen Lewis and Alicia Ostriker, 85

12 November: Denis DeJordy, 84, Neil Young, 77

13 November: Pete Arnett and Kamahl, 88, George Carey, 87

14 November: Huang Decheng, 109, Kathleen Hughes, 93, Fred Haise, 89, Catherine McGuinness, 88, Lefteris Papadopoulos, 87, Alan J. W. Bell, 85

15 November: Gombojavyn Ochirbat, 93, Petula Clark and Alvin Plantinga, 90, Peter Dickinson, 88

16 November: Josef Schuetz, 102, Garnet Mimms, 89, Elizabeth Drew and Magdi Yacoub, 87, John Moore, 86, Alan Budd, 85

17 November: Ángeles Flórez Peón, 104, Jean Faut, 97, Orlando Peña, 89, Jim Inhofe, 88, Bobby Joe Conrad, 87, Crispian Hollis, 86, Charles Guthrie, Baron Guthrie of Craigiebank, 84

18 November: George Nagobads, 101, Gyanashree Mahathero, 97, Sheila Jordan, 94, Vassilis Vassilikos, 88, Rodney Hall, 87, Ennio Antonelli, 86

19 November: William Russell, 98, Kurt Hamrin, 88, Ted Turner, 84

20 November: Sylvia Fein, 103, Estelle Parsons, 95, Jerry Hardin, 93, Choe Yong-rim, 92, Colville Young and Kim Suk-soo, 90, Paco Ibáñez, 88, Don DeLillo, 86, Rene Kollo and Viktoriya Tokareva, 85

21 November: Zhang Lixiong, 109, Eleanor Collins, 103, Dieter Gruen and James M. Houston, 100, Stanley Kalms, Baron Kalms, 91, Laurence Luckinbill, 88, Marlo Thomas, 85

22 November: Staughton Lynd and Keith Rayner, 93, John Bird, 86, George Alagiah, 57

23 November: Gloria Whelan, 99, Jack McKeon, 92, Robert Towne, 88, Ken Eastwood, 87

24 November: Tsung-Dao Lee, 96, Willy Claes, 84, Billy Connolly, 80

25 November: Yasue Okai, 114, Johnny Johnson, 101, Henri Simon, 100, Takayo Fischer, 90, Kathryn Crosby, 89

26 November: Françoise Gilot, 101, Betta St. John, 93, Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, 91, Richard Holloway, 89, Jerry Jameson, 88

27 November: Jacqueline White, 100, Dick Poole, 92, Jacques Godbout and Gordon S. Wood, 89, Gilbert Strang, 88

November but exact birthdate not known:

Pietro Barucci, 100

Yan Mingfu, 91

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arghton said:

Old (85+)/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc pt. 4. 

28 October: Elinor Otto, 103, Cleo Laine, 95, William Rodgers, Baron Rodgers of Quarry Bank, 94, Joan Plowright, 93, Bernie Ecclestone, 92, Lenny Wilkens, 85, Howard Blake and Kenneth Best, 84

29 October: Frank Sedgman, 95, Omara Portuondo, 92, Joyce Gould, Baroness Gould of Potternewton, 90, Michael Jayston, 85

30 October: Senovio Saavedra Muela, 110, Jean Chapman, 93, Christopher Foster, 92, David M. Wilson, 91, Robert Caro and Jim Perry, 87, Dick Vermeil, 86, Claude Lelouch and Brian Price, 85

31 October: Dan Rather, 91, Phil Goyette, 89, Dale Brown and David Harvey, 87, Tom Paxton, 85

1 November: Shi Ping, 110, Frances Hesselbein, 107, Marcel Ophuls, 95, A. Q. M. Badruddoza Chowdhury and Francis Arinze, 90, Gillian Knight, 88, Gary Player, 87, Shizuka Kamei, 86, Bill Anderson, 85

2 November: William A. Jenkins, 105, Mai Raud-Pähn, 102, Wanda Półtawska, 101, Michael Loewe, 100, Paul Johnson, 94, Ken Rosewall, 88, Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, 87, Pat Buchanan, 84, Kabosu (Doge), 17

3 November: Valdas Adamkus, 96, Brian Robinson, Tsutomu Seki and Lois Smith, 92, Michael Dukakis and Amartya Sen, 89, Kenneth Baker, Baron Baker of Dorking, 88, Roy Emerson, 86

4 November: Guillermo "Bombita" Rodriguez, 98, Anastasios of Albania, 93, Dick Groat, 92, Barry Crocker and Elgar Howarth, 87, Loretta Swit, 85

5 November: John F. Gonge, 101, Sydney Kentridge and María Isabel Rodríguez, 100, Chan Sek Keong and Harris Yulin, 85, Cesar Luis Menotti, 84

6 November: Ronald Blythe and Uriel García Cáceres, 100, François Englert, 90

7 November: Maria Aulenbacher, 113, Mihai Șora, 106, Eric Kandel, 93, Rudy Boschwitz, 92, G. Edward Griffin, 91, Gwyneth Jones and Al Attles, 86

8 November: Bessie Hendricks, 115, Eileen Kramer, 108, Silvana Lattmann, 104, Walter Mirisch, 101, Victorinus Youn Kong-hi, 98, Darleane C. Hoffman, 96, L. K. Advani, 95, Jim Redman and Paolo Taviani, 91, Ugo Mifsud Bonnici, 90, Alain Delon, 87, Joseph James DeAngelo, 77, 

9 November: Whitey Herzog, 91, Ingvar Carlsson, 88, David Wolfson, Baron Wolfson of Sunningdale, 87, Bob Graham, 86, Roger McGough and Donald Trelford, 85

10 November: Honor McKellar, 102, Igor Dmitriyevich Novikov, 87

11 November: Louise Tobin, 104, Paul Ignatius, 102, Hans Magnus Enzensberger, 93, Mabandla Dlamini, 92, Stephen Lewis and Alicia Ostriker, 85

12 November: Denis DeJordy, 84, Neil Young, 77

13 November: Pete Arnett and Kamahl, 88, George Carey, 87

14 November: Huang Decheng, 109, Kathleen Hughes, 93, Fred Haise, 89, Catherine McGuinness, 88, Lefteris Papadopoulos, 87, Alan J. W. Bell, 85

15 November: Gombojavyn Ochirbat, 93, Petula Clark and Alvin Plantinga, 90, Peter Dickinson, 88

16 November: Josef Schuetz, 102, Garnet Mimms, 89, Elizabeth Drew and Magdi Yacoub, 87, John Moore, 86, Alan Budd, 85

17 November: Ángeles Flórez Peón, 104, Jean Faut, 97, Orlando Peña, 89, Jim Inhofe, 88, Bobby Joe Conrad, 87, Crispian Hollis, 86, Charles Guthrie, Baron Guthrie of Craigiebank, 84

18 November: George Nagobads, 101, Sheila Jordan, 94, Vassilis Vassilikos, 88, Rodney Hall, 87, Ennio Antonelli, 86

19 November: William Russell, 98, Kurt Hamrin, 88, Ted Turner, 84

20 November: Sylvia Fein, 103, Estelle Parsons, 95, Jerry Hardin, 93, Choe Yong-rim, 92, Colville Young and Kim Suk-soo, 90, Paco Ibáñez, 88, Don DeLillo, 86, Rene Kollo and Viktoriya Tokareva, 85

21 November: Zhang Lixiong, 109, Eleanor Collins, 103, Dieter Gruen and James M. Houston, 100, Stanley Kalms, Baron Kalms, 91, Laurence Luckinbill, 88, Marlo Thomas, 85

22 November: Staughton Lynd and Keith Rayner, 93, John Bird, 86

23 November: Gloria Whelan, 99, Jack McKeon, 92, Robert Towne, 88, Ken Eastwood, 87

24 November: Tsung-Dao Lee, 96, Willy Claes, 84, Billy Connolly, 80

25 November: Yasue Okai, 114, Johnny Johnson, 101, Henri Simon, 100, Takayo Fischer, 90, Kathryn Crosby, 89

26 November: Françoise Gilot, 101, Betta St. John, 93, Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, 91, Richard Holloway, 89, Jerry Jameson, 88

27 November: Jacqueline White, 100, Dick Poole, 92, Jacques Godbout and Gordon S. Wood, 89, Gilbert Strang, 88

November but exact birthdate not known:

Pietro Barucci, 100

Yan Mingfu, 91

George Alagiah, 57 (possibly 22 Nov?) 

John Mayall turns 89 on 29 November.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, arghton said:

George Alagiah, 57 (possibly 22 Nov?)

This was a bit of a surprise.  As @arghton said 22 November 1955 can be widely found (making him 66 now; the DDP gives that as his dob too), but on a quick search, I can't find the source of the date or confirm it. 

As the Committee had a hit with one BBC presenter in Turnbull, Alagiah is an obvious choice to follow up with.

• Like 2

Annoyingly Wikipedia is scrubbing DOBs from lots of articles that you instead have to find via Google. I've encountered that with more small-name actors than I care to remember.

• Like 3