Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

42 minutes ago, Sean said:

Robert Wagner? 

Stefanie Powers may also deserve consideration; she has had a fair share of health issues over the years, including a form of lung cancer! One would think Wagner’s Hart would go before Powers’ but one can never be too sure until it happens.

• Like 1

There are already tons of names, it seems to me, but there's still more...

Mick Channon, longtime striker for Southampton, and 21 goals for the English national team, has had bowel cancer:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20492453/former-england-striker-mick-channon-cancer-retirement/

He's had his lower bowels removed, and the cancer has apparently not been very aggressive, but it "chipped away at him".

Is he threatworthy? Is he deathlist worthy? I decided against it, but just barely.

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Mick Channon, longtime striker for Southampton, and 21 goals for the English national team, has had bowel cancer:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20492453/former-england-striker-mick-channon-cancer-retirement/

He's had his lower bowels removed, and the cancer has apparently not been very aggressive, but it "chipped away at him".

Is he threatworthy? Is he deathlist worthy? I decided against it, but just barely.

Won the FA Cup with Saints, was an England regular goal scorer in the 70s but had the misfortune of playing for them when they didn't qualify for the World Cup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Of course he is DL worthy.  He's also a successful racehorse trainer who has trained over 2,500 winners.  Few people reach the top ranks in two different sports.

Mick recently announced his retirement and is handing over to one of his sons, but I wouldn't read too much into that healthwise.

Is he threatworthy?  well, he is quite outspoken and shouts a lot :lol:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/legendary-trainer-mick-channon-set-to-retire-at-the-end-of-the-year/586033

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Of course he is DL worthy.  He's also a successful racehorse trainer who has trained over 2,500 winners.  Few people reach the top ranks in two different sports.

Mick recently announced his retirement and is handing over to one of his sons, but I wouldn't read too much into that healthwise.

Is he threatworthy?  well, he is quite outspoken and shouts a lot :lol:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/legendary-trainer-mick-channon-set-to-retire-at-the-end-of-the-year/586033

Not sure if she's still alive but he mentioned fairly recently that his mother had turned 100. 

28 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Not sure if she's still alive but he mentioned fairly recently that his mother had turned 100. 

Yes, she is.  Had her 101st birthday recently.

On 18/09/2022 at 19:05, arghton said:

Old (85+)/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc pt. 3 a bit early so that I won't forget , especially October (1st, 16th,)seems to have a lot of interesting birthdays. 

--snip

14 October: Joyce Bryant, 94/95, Farah Pahlavi, 84, Sir Cliff Richard, 82

--snip

(Wiki) Joyce Bryant died Nov. 20th, age 95

Kenneth Cope (has battled COPD for decades) would be a much better 2023 DL candidate than William Roache. Cope actually appeared at Roache’s trial in 2014 as a character witness.

• Like 2

Nikolai Tarakanov - Soviet general who lead a three-month operation to remove radioactive debris from the Chernobyl danger zones. Disabled due to radiation poisoning and needs eight different types of medications to treat radiation-related symptoms. 89 next year.

(Played by Ralph Ineson in HBO's show)

• Like 2

If you want a controversial, potentially fringy pick, look no further!

The mother of Ellen DeGeneres, Betty DeGeneres (wiki), seemingly never mentioned here before, is still alive and turns 93 next year.

Has her own Wikipedia page due to her LGBT activism and suffered from breast cancer over 40 years ago. Famous in her own right? I'll leave that to the experts.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 4:28 AM, arghton said:

12 Dec: Addold Mossin, 103, Vasily Borisov, 100, Bob Barker, 99, Ray Cordeiro, 98, Toshiko Akiyoshi, 93, Cesar Virata, 92, Bob Pettit, 90, Sharad Pawar, 80

Here and here the same man from Krasnoyarsk is selling a 2nd degree commemorative mark for the All-Union Rifle Shooting Record. He says that it is a mark of Vasiliy Borisov. The engraving on the back is wrong (?) "To V.V. Borisov", it should be "To V.F. Borisov".

Ask the seller a question ©

331а.jpg

Chris Brown.
An American r&b singer who would be A-list except for the fact he beat Rihanna so the public is outraged every time they try to rehabilitate his image.
The latest rehabilitation attempt was this past week at the American Music Awards to pay tribute to Michael Jackson, but it was cancelled. He won an award and was booed.
Brown is one of those on borrowed-time drug addicts, so the gossip mills are hyping up his imminent demise.

22 minutes ago, chel said:

Here and here the same man from Krasnoyarsk is selling a 2nd degree commemorative mark for the All-Union Rifle Shooting Record. He says that it is a mark of Vasiliy Borisov. The engraving on the back is wrong (?) "To V.V. Borisov", it should be "To V.F. Borisov".

Ask the seller a question ©

331а.jpg

Vasiliy Borisov would have won me the Scavvy Hunt.  Just saying.

• Like 1

David Hockney met King Charles and he was in a wheelchair and wearing yellow crocs.

• Like 2

put this damn Bernadette Chirac on the list, here she is in 2017, she was 84 ans will be 90 this next year

bernadette-chirac-84-ans-affaiblie-et-fatiguee.jpg

bernadette-chirac-84-ans-affaiblie-et-fatiguee-1.jpg

• Like 1

Another french big names that deserves consideration : singer, songwriter and anarchist, Renaud (born 1952)

He's the french Shane McGowan : used to smoke 4 packs of cigarettes a day, notable alcoholic and drug user. Has quite alcohol and drugs several times but always relapsed. He said in an interview in 2010 : « Je bois parce que je ne suis pas bien dans ma peau, dans ma couenne. J’ai des psychoses, des angoisses, un mal de vivre, une nostalgie de mon enfance. Et cela empire avec tous ces amis qui meurent autour de moi. Cela me déprime" (I drink because I'm not good in my own skin. I have psychosis, anxiety, I don't want to live anymore, nostalgia of my childhood. And this increases with all the friends that are dying around me, it's getting me down.". 

Hospitalized in 2019, following his brother Thierry (author) demise, aged 69 after a stroke. Open heart surgery in 2020. Paranoia sufferer. Appeared at the "NRJ music Award" a couple of days ago : was shacking a lot, had to grab the desk to stand still, almost fell while talking, can't talk properly, in poor poor health

The second photo is from his 70th birthday from earlier this year. 

Can't see him making it to 80 (nor even 75 tbh)

images.jpeg

renaud-et-romane-serda-adorable-photo-de-leur-fils-malone-16-ans-deja.jpg

renaud-son-etat-de-sante-au-coeur-dune-vive-inquietude-des-nouvelles-sont-tombees.jpg

renaud-dave-donne-des-nouvelles-de-la-sante-du-chanteur-dans-telematin.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Another french big names that deserves consideration : singer, songwriter and anarchist, Renaud (born 1952)

Incidentally, this is a prime example of someone huge in France but little known in the UK. 

I did pick him in a few pools in 2019-ish when he seemed quite ill. Seems he could go any year but none of them in particular. I am unsure about a QO - the better known (over here) Michel Delpech died when everyone got a Guardian obit, and didn't get close to a DDP QO. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Incidentally, this is a prime example of someone huge in France but little known in the UK. 

I did pick him in a few pools in 2019-ish when he seemed quite ill. Seems he could go any year but none of them in particular. I am unsure about a QO - the better known (over here) Michel Delpech died when everyone got a Guardian obit, and didn't get close to a DDP QO. 

Interesting ! I was sure he would be a little bit famous in UK as he wrote an infamous song about Tatcher saying that he would piss on her and calling her a murderer and a cunt basically. Funny and well written song (here in english).

quite strange that Delpech got only one guardian obit, Renaud and him are giants in french culture.. 

anyway for some pools like alt obituary you know… could help ;) 

edit : is Shane McGowan a big name in UK ? Here I must say no one knows him

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Interesting ! I was sure he would be a little bit famous in UK as he wrote an infamous song about Tatcher saying that he would piss on her and calling her a murderer and a cunt basically. Funny and well written song (here in english).

quite strange that Delpech got only one guardian obit, Renaud and him are giants in french culture.. 

anyway for some pools like alt obituary you know… could help ;) 

edit : is Shane McGowan a big name in UK ? Here I must say no one knows him

With a certain age group (say about mid-30s to mid-60s), yes. The Pogues were massive in the 80s here. And are a great band. However, like the late Gerry Rafferty (another fantastic singer-songwriter) he's become far better known for drink and frailty nowadays rather than his music career. Even so he's considerably more famous than The Fall were, or Tragically Hip. (Though I quite liked the Hip, too.)

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

used to smoke 4 packs of cigarettes a day, notable alcoholic

There is a Russian saying:

Кто не курит и не пьёт,

Тот здоровеньким помрёт.

A rough translation:
He who does not drink and smoke will die healthy.

:D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

quite strange that Delpech got only one guardian obit

No, he didn't get any obits at all, that was the point. 

msc meant that lots of more obscure people did get Guardian obits that year.

• Like 2