Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

6 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

edit : is Shane McGowan a big name in UK ? Here I must say no one knows him

Ask anyone at Christmas and they'll groan. He sang a very well known Christmas hit called Fairytale of New York with Kirsty MacColl. I feel like i'm the only person in UK who likes this song. I will post it under spoiler for anyone trying to avoid this song. I'm pretty sure there is a game in UK where you try to last a long time without hearing this song in a shop in November/December.

Spoiler

Carroll Baker and Debra Paget are two other classic movie actresses I think are worthy of consideration. Carroll Baker (Baby Doll, The Big Country, The Carpetbaggers) turns 92 next year whilst Debra Paget (The Indian Tomb, The Ten Commandments) will be 90 next August

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Oscar Quitak

Lee Montague

Peter Cellier

Michael Craig

Colin Jeavons

John Cairney

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Oscar Quitak

Who?

Lee Montague

Who?

Peter Cellier

Who?

Michael Craig

Who?

Colin Jeavons

Who?

John Cairney

Who?

John Cairney

23 minutes ago, TQR said:

Who?

Ah, now this one I know.  He's a Scottish actor and he played the young Irish steerage passenger in A Night To Remember.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TQR said:

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

Colin Jeavons is a Welsh character actor, was in pretty much everything from the 60s to the 90s. He will defo obit. Michael Craig is another actor, very famous in his day, he was also Natalie Wood's brother in law.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Colin Jeavons is a Welsh character actor, was in pretty much everything from the 60s to the 90s. He will defo obit. Michael Craig is another actor, very famous in his day, he was also Natalie Wood's brother in law.

I think you’ve entirely missed @TQR’s point…

He wasn’t asking you for the first sentence description of who they are from their Wikipedia. 

These are not household names… anywhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He wasn’t asking you for the first sentence description of who they are from their Wikipedia. 

Colin Jeavons is a household name in my household, which is certainly somewhere.

Also, where does it say suggestions have to be household names? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

JFGI (other search engines are available).

4 minutes ago, time said:

Colin Jeavons is a household name in my household, which is certainly somewhere.

Also, where does it say suggestions have to be household names? 

We’ve always stuck to household names…

Jeavons is a supporting actor. 90%+ of ppl wouldn’t know who he is the UK if you dropped his name. Your household isn’t representative of shit.

Cellier and Jeavons fit into the Doreen Mantle/Super Gran/John Woodvine/John Savident list of recognisable TV faces I could see the Cmme picking at some point but don't expect it. "Oh that guy" type "I know the face" picks. 

Bless Oscar Quitak, who is 96 now, but he really isn't!

Michael Craig's main fame pre-dates the birth of the Cmme, and most of the rest of us best know him for a role in 4 camp episodes of Dr Who!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Jeavons is a supporting actor. 90%+ of ppl wouldn’t know who he is the UK if you dropped his name. Your household isn’t representative of shit.

_methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_8a4c8fd3-f0ea-36ad-8c28-6b18a0485c26.jpg

29 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

1. "We" haven't always stuck to household names. Bill Gates' Dad? Tom Smith?

2. So what if he's a supporting actor? Supporting actors are still valid candidates for DL.

3. It's not relevant if 90%+ of people have heard of him or not; that's sort of the point of this thread - suggesting names.

4. I never claimed my household was representative of anything.

Anyway, its dinnertime.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maybe not, but that's common with character actors where it's often the face, not the name, that's instantly recognisable.

There's a similar situation with band members.  People may know a band and their music, but won't always know the names of all the members.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, msc said:

Michael Craig's main fame pre-dates the birth of the Cmme, and most of the rest of us best know him for a role in 4 camp episodes of Dr Who!

And he was the captain in Triangle!

• Like 1

Giving lesser-known actors their dues has long been one of the forum's strong points so I'm a little confused by the argument. It's not even like they were being suggested for DL since this is the general deadpooling ideas thread.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

Maybe not, but that's common with character actors where it's often the face, not the name, that's instantly recognisable.

There's a similar situation with band members.  People may know a band and their music, but won't always know the names of all the members.

I had no-idea who any of them were but when I googled their names, I found that for three of them I had already been on their Wikipedia pages recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I have not missed anyone's point. I do credit TQR with enough nouce to Google someone he hasn't heard of. I know very well what he was implying. I also didn't need to go to Wiki to find descriptions as to me Craig and Jeavons are legit famous. 

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

And he was the captain in Triangle!

And The Earl of Huntingdon on Robin of Sherwood.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

And The Earl of Huntingdon on Robin of Sherwood.

Didn't know that one. I like Michael Craig though. I like lots of these recurring actors, it's always a joy to see them show up in stuff even now. 

• Like 3

Probably not a big enough name but the longest serving former pm of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamed is still alive. He is 98 next year and has been in and out of intensive care in 2022.

28 minutes ago, Eastend said:

Probably not a big enough name but the longest serving former pm of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamed is still alive. He is 98 next year and has been in and out of intensive care in 2022.

Never heard of him.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1