Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

On 03/07/2022 at 05:19, gcreptile said:

Some gem from my Cup research, former CEO and billionaire Robert Brockmann, supposedly in home hospice for dementia:

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/international/billionaire-robert-brockman-faces-february-2023-trial-in-record-tax-evasion-case/

Problem is, he's under investigation for being the biggest private tax cheater in US history. So it's difficult to tell how ill he really is.

Robert Brockman dead. Must have been pretty ill!

• Like 5

Few (mostly for low-requirement pools) possibilities more...

Kaikala Satyanarayana (1935-2022) Permanent tracheotomy since fall+covid+multiple organ failure+septic shock in November 2021, being kept alive with machines.

Powerstar Srinivasan (1962) and Superstar Rajinikanth (1950) both hospitalised billions of times and now seemingly slightly more quiet. 

Tuila'epa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi (1945) Fat and in and out of hospital in recent years.

Jayanta Mahapatra (1928-2023) Hospitalised earlier this year, ancient and ill for years. No idea how he's doing now.

Ginette Reno (1946) Canadian singer, author etc, suffers from atleast two serious heart diseases.

HD Deve Gowda (1933) former India Prime Minister, gone downhill fast recently. Now very ill and wheeled around with bloated legs.

Bao Xishun (1951) Former World's Tallest Man, now 70.

Winifred or Winnie Ann Kelley/Kelly (1923) At 3'8/111cm the "oldest little person", no 99th birthday coverage but she was still alive in December.

FOTF ancients

Maurice McGowan (ca. 1930) Shane's dad, obese and was battling serious health problems in 2018. 

Adele Ann Springsteen (1925) Bruce's mother, suffering from dementia for atleast a decade and now unable to speak.

Heeraben Modi (1923-2022) Narendra's fucking ancient mother. Never mentioned here before as far as I know, but she's now 99.

Sita Dahal (19xx-2023) Wife of Nepal's former Prime Minister. Human corpse who suffers from progressive supranuclear palsy and is fed through tubes.

Few more

Arif Sağ (1945) Turkish politician and folk musician. Obese, lung cancer in 2016, brain tumor in 2017.

William Labov (1927) "Father of sociolinguistics", old age, retired in 2015.

Iskandar Jalil (1940) Singapore ceramist, stage 4 prostate cancer in 2014.

Alan Jones (1941/1943) Australian radio presenter and asshole. Has survived skin cancer, prostate cancer, brain cancer, blood clots and pulmonary embolisms, operations, near-fatal e coli infection, septic shock, swollen knee, everything.

Olu Jacobs (1942) Nigerian actor and "elder statesman of Nollywood", rumored dead in 2021, lewy body dementia.

And tossing Rafiq Nishonov (Uzbek SSR leader, predecessor of Islam Karimov, 96) and Nizoramo Zaripova (Tajik SSR leader, 98) here again. Here are pictures of both from last year:

nishonov.png.7f86ec9c62e5834a223f1368efe374b0.pngzaripova.png.d9d4d5d4f739ac4b680afef99fc538e1.png

• Like 3

• June Spencer - 103

Just been announced that she is to retire from The Archers on Radio 4 after on the show since the start.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Bobby Caldwell reportedly in ill health with unspecified health issues. This tweet "Please remember Bobby in your prayers. ❤️" is very worrying. Last year, his family posted a tweet saying he "suffered a medical complication a few years ago, and as a result cannot perform at this time". A year later and these updates are starting to scare me.

I love Bobby Caldwell 100% I hope he is okay.

• Sad 1

Because it seems all my fav older actors/people are dying, going to add these for the suggestion box (some i've already suggested):

• Robert Duvall - 91
  • Murray Melvin - 90
  • Sheila Hancock - 89
  • Annette Crosbie - 88
  • Maggie Smith - 87
  • Judi Dench - 87
  • Donald Sutherland - 87
  • Richard Wilson - 86
  • Julie Andrews - 86
  • Brian Blessed - 85
  • Morgan Freeman - 85
  • Elliott Gould - 83
  • Derek Jacobi - 83
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 27/07/2022 at 00:47, arrowsmith said:

And that makes him a candidate for 2023 how?

It doesn't, sorry about that, I was a bit scatterbrained that day!

One potential consequence of the number of 'misses' for the committee does represent a challenge for 2023 because they are largely from the pool of people who would make up the 25 'new' drafts into the list. 

• Like 1

Neurologist Henry Marsh is officially in remission from his prostate cancer but according to yesterday's Guardian and a piece he wrote he has a 30% chance of being alive in five years.

Obitable for sure

Frits Bolkestein (1933). Former European Commissioner who also has EU law named after him. Physically he has been very frail for years, he's diabetic and his most recent public appearance seems to have been October last year. Earlier this year he was 'physically unable to comment' when his former political prodigy was revealed to have connections with a terrorist organisation, too.

• Like 2

On 22/06/2007 at 13:03, Gunjaman5000 said:

Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, at 77 years of age, would appear to be old enough to be considered aged and has a heart condition. That and he's only one angry Sunni away from meeting his maker.

Get yourself on a CIA shitlist and have a look at his website, it looks fun.

Ali Sistani still alive at 92. Maybe a good call for 2023.

Further to my post above if you look at the 50 names on the Crowdsourced List  13 have died of the remainder 17 are already on the Main DL which leaves only 20 big names to fill up the 25 places that you need to find on the main list.

Most of the names on the Crowdsourced are Deathlisty so there is no real issue with eligibility though the committee seem reluctant to select Glynis Johns 

35 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Further to my post above if you look at the 50 names on the Crowdsourced List  13 have died of the remainder 17 are already on the Main DL which leaves only 20 big names to fill up the 25 places that you need to find on the main list.

Most of the names on the Crowdsourced are Deathlisty so there is no real issue with eligibility though the committee seem reluctant to select Glynis Johns 

There is still just over four months of the year to go, and there may be a few names that we otherwise would not have thought to put on the list (see Frank Field and Ted Kaczynski) that suddenly brings them to the attention of the committee. 

Although yes, I agree Glynis Johns is a surprising omission. Then again, she's made it this far, if she had been on any prior lists, nothing would change unless she had taken the place of someone who went on to die that year. 

On 10/03/2022 at 09:48, gcreptile said:

Big, if true, but Missoula mayor John Engen has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and yahoo is ON THE CASE:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/missoula-mayor-john-engen-diagnosed-163009919.html

Missoula is a city in western Montana and has roughly 70.000 inhabitants. About 55% of employment in Missoula is made up of the service and retail sectors. Export industries are concentrated in heavy and civil engineering, construction, beverage production, technical services, truck transportation, and forestry-, logging-, and wood-related industries. In addition to nearly 4 million out-of-state visitors annually, which makes tourism a significant aspect of the Missoula economy, Missoula also is home to a vibrant sector of alternative healthcare.

John Engen dead at 58.

• Like 3

Didn't realise how old Derek Martin, aka Charlie Slater, actually was. Turns 90 next year, hasn't done any acting since a brief return to Albert Square in 2016. Definitely feels like a guy who would be on the DL around #42.

• Shocked 1

Paxman's stepping down from University Challenge. Not surprising, considering he seemed to go downhill quite quickly during the filming break in the pandemic and his Parkinson's diagnosis. I can't see him lasting more than a few years at this point unfortunately. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LB93 said:

Paxman's stepping down from University Challenge. Not surprising, considering he seemed to go downhill quite quickly during the filming break in the pandemic and his Parkinson's diagnosis.

Yes writing was on wall last series - lots of long stares at the screen and not his old self - pleased he's stepped down now.

27 minutes ago, LB93 said:

I can't see him lasting more than a few years at this point unfortunately. 

I see no reason why he's going to kick the bucket in the next few years though.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Didn't realise how old Derek Martin, aka Charlie Slater, actually was. Turns 90 next year, hasn't done any acting since a brief return to Albert Square in 2016. Definitely feels like a guy who would be on the DL around #42.

Yeah, he actually had an actual job for much of his 20s and 30s, working in a meat market. 

In his late twenties, Derek stood trial at the Old Bailey accused of stealing pounds 20,000 worth of meat while working as a porter at Smithfield Market in East London.

``I was guilty all right,'' he says. ``Me and some other blokes nicked a lorryload of meat and got fingered. I was interrogated for nine hours by the police, but I didn't grass.''

Derek spent five months on bail before the trial in May 1961.

``That first day still haunts me,'' he says. ``It was terrifying. Anyone who tells you otherwise is making it up. I was facing two years inside and I remember sitting in the cell at lunchtime. They brought in fish, mashed potatoes and haricot beans, but I couldn't eat it.

``Every minute in that cell felt like an hour. The sound of clanking doors goes right through you. Next moment I heard a voice saying, `Fetch the accused', and I was taken into the dock. Whenever I've had to play a prisoner since, I just transfer myself back to how scared I felt that day.''

Then when he was in his early 30s, he got two job offers - driver for friends of the Krays, or stunt man. He picked stuntman, worked with HAVOC (the lot who did the stunt work in Jon Pertwee era Dr Who, you can see him in a lot of blink and miss it scenes from the time period) before transferring to acting instead, and handyman jobs in between. He was working as a labourer when he got the call for Eastenders.

Last I heard he was still in good nick and still highly regarded as a decent chap, but that was pre-lockdown. Def. a DL name though - fascinating guy, big name, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I've posted on here a few times before,that pre-lockdown, I would see him all the time, shopping at Tescos and Asda in Hatfield and generally looking and moving like a man fifteen years younger.

He used to go to the gym too quite often.

Since lockdown, I've not seen him once. Granted my shifts changed to later in the day than lunchtime but even so I would've expected to catch him once.

Unless he's had a fall, I would simply imagine he's either changed shopping pattern to go at quieter times or simply, at his age, isn't as active.

But as of early 2020, he was in great health and is retired from acting.

10 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

I mean there are serious health conditions that pose a risk to your mortality, and then there are having back problems.

Look at his body. The man is still gym fit healthy by the looks of it and there appears to be nothing wrong with him other than lower back inflammation.

Geoffrey Hinscliff aka Don Brennan from Coronation St.  

Character is well known enough for him to get something when he goes IMO

• Like 1

Last night I watched the Jimmy Saville documentary on Netflix.

Roger Ordish (b.1939) was the Jim'll Fix It producer who appeared as a talking head in the Documentary

He looked quite old, doesn't have a wiki page but surely would garner BBC obits

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 19:38, Bibliogryphon said:

Not sure she will gain much traction until after Patricia Routledge goes

Not your greatest prediction, Biblio.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Not your greatest prediction, Biblio.

She didn't get much traction though.....

• Like 1