Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

14 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

She didn't get much traction though.....

I would disagree.Has been a trending story on BBC news online and it was announced as breaking news on sky and the beeb news channels and articles are being shared very widely on social media.For an actress who retired some years ago that isn't bad going especially in today's news climate when certain other stars like Anna Karen and Frank Williams had much less coverage from what I can gather.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sean said:

I would disagree.Has been a trending story on BBC news online and it was announced as breaking news on sky and the beeb news channels and articles are being shared very widely on social media.For an actress who retired some years ago that isn't bad going especially in today's news climate when certain other stars like Anna Karen and Frank Williams had much less coverage from what I can gather.

I am not contending with her fame level or deserving of an obituary I was just thinking about how much coverage she got here.

She was a hit in 20/20 + 2 for which she is only just eligible but in the DDP JT 3 vs PR 6

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am not contending with her fame level or deserving of an obituary I was just thinking about how much coverage she got here.

She was a hit in 20/20 + 2 for which she is only just eligible but in the DDP JT 3 vs PR 6

Tbf you only said she was unwell in March. That might be behind the lack of DDP traction!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Tbf you only said she was unwell in March. That might be behind the lack of DDP traction!

It was actually me who mentioned her ill health, not Biblio.

Though I'm not sure would she have gotten any more DDP traction anyway. For comparison, Phyllida Law, another aged British actress like Tewson, has been known to have Parkinson's for some time now, yet no one appears to have picked her in the DDP this year.

• Like 2

Since the confirmation reported on these forums that  Crossroads actress Jane Rossington has dementia , I definitely think she needs to be on more deadpoolers radar for next year and possibly the committees  longlist for consideration. 

• Like 2

I think Ulitzer95 had this idea a while ago, names mentioned in old Ideas & Possibilities threads. 2006 is too long for today, but here's who's left from the names mentioned in "More Ideas & Possibles 2005", a thread created in October 2003. Lots of names people would suggest now, many names currently on the DL.

Pamela Anderson ("Hepatitis C", now cured)

Denis Law (Mentioned because he "might have cancer" back then, now has mixed dementia and on DL)

Stanley Baxter (Guest asked if anyone knows if he's still alive: answered with "Stanley Baxter is alive and is 78 on 24 May this year. No news on Baxter in recent years so maybe a candidate for DeathList 2014" Currently on the DL)

David Jason ("Looked unwell")

Juliet Hulme/Anne Perry and Pauline Parker

DWB list 7 May 2004:

Chuck Negron 

Phil Lesh ("Liver transplant" (1998))

Superstar Billy Graham ("Liver transplant hepatitis C")

David Crosby ("drug abuse, Liver transplant")

Rolf Benirschke ("Hepatitis C")

Willie Nelson ("Surgery")

Chris Stein (name misspelled)

Loretta Lynn ("looking rough")

Henry Kissinger x2

Harry Knowles ("pie eater")

Ringo Starr

Ayad Allawi (less in danger of assasination now)

Ozzy Osbourne

Alu Alkhanov (see Allawi)

Teddie Beverley (Beverley sisters mentioned, she's now the last surviving one at 95)

Clint Eastwood

Jimmy Carter ("will he survive to his 80th?")

Gwyneth Strong ("brain tumor rumor")

Holly Johnson 

Michael J. Fox (parkinson's diagnosed 1991)

Arthur Scargill ("you don't see him much on the telly nowadays")

Kate Garraway ("Kidney problems")

Bob Barker ("getting up there")

Magic Johnson (HIV diagnosed 1991)

Alvaro Uribe (ex-Pres of Columbia, "over 10 assasination attempts")

Robert Blake

Dick Cheney

Winnie Ewing ("must be close to 80")

Queen Elizabeth II

• Like 3

On 15/08/2022 at 11:37, Bibliogryphon said:

Further to my post above if you look at the 50 names on the Crowdsourced List  13 have died of the remainder 17 are already on the Main DL which leaves only 20 big names to fill up the 25 places that you need to find on the main list.

Most of the names on the Crowdsourced are Deathlisty so there is no real issue with eligibility though the committee seem reluctant to select Glynis Johns 

Tom Weiskopf makes that 14 and so only 19 available for picking for the next DL

Those 19 in full

1. Frank Field - Was flavour of the month for picking at the end of 2021 but how ill is it. A lot of speculation based on one statement on his behalf in the British parliament.

2. Pope Benedict XVI - The only pick that has appeared on 7 Crowdsourced lists that is not on the main list

3. George Alagiah - Was No.1 pick on DDP teams in 2022. This must count for something

4. Glynis Johns - Is 2023 her time for a DL Debut?

5. Jerry Lee Lewis - Second highest New entry on the list

6. James Whale - Doesn't seem to be as ill as all that

7. Linda Nolan - Suggestions she is fading have recently surfaced

8. Joanne Woodward - A huge miss if she goes this year

9. Shannen Doherty - I am split on whether she should be included

10. Milos Zeman - Might not be the sort of name that makes the list

11. Yoko Ono - Dropped eight places since last year but still very DL type name who should be on the list

12. James Watson - First appearance on the Crowdsourced list but I think he is ready for the main list

13. Barbara Walters - A name that I was unfamiliar with until she started being discussed here. The discussion seems to outweigh her actual health condition

14. Francoise Hardy - Does the DL need a liitle more continental appeal?

15. Norman Lear - Old but healthy. Over 100 on debut, is that looked down upon?

16. Jiang Zemin - Could be a good pick for 2023

17. Jake 'The Snake' Roberts - No thank you from the campaign for no wrestlers on the Death List

18. Jean Marsh - Reportedly in ill health for a while. High time for her on the main list

19. David Graham - A big yes from me (but what else did you expect) has continued to work though

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Those 19 in full

1. Frank Field - Was flavour of the month for picking at the end of 2021 but how ill is it. A lot of speculation based on one statement on his behalf in the British parliament.

2. Pope Benedict XVI - The only pick that has appeared on 7 Crowdsourced lists that is not on the main list

3. George Alagiah - Was No.1 pick on DDP teams in 2022. This must count for something

4. Glynis Johns - Is 2023 her time for a DL Debut?

5. Jerry Lee Lewis - Second highest New entry on the list

6. James Whale - Doesn't seem to be as ill as all that

7. Linda Nolan - Suggestions she is fading have recently surfaced

8. Joanne Woodward - A huge miss if she goes this year

9. Shannen Doherty - I am split on whether she should be included

10. Milos Zeman - Might not be the sort of name that makes the list

11. Yoko Ono - Dropped eight places since last year but still very DL type name who should be on the list

12. James Watson - First appearance on the Crowdsourced list but I think he is ready for the main list

13. Barbara Walters - A name that I was unfamiliar with until she started being discussed here. The discussion seems to outweigh her actual health condition

14. Francoise Hardy - Does the DL need a liitle more continental appeal?

15. Norman Lear - Old but healthy. Over 100 on debut, is that looked down upon?

16. Jiang Zemin - Could be a good pick for 2023

17. Jake 'The Snake' Roberts - No thank you from the campaign for no wrestlers on the Death List

18. Jean Marsh - Reportedly in ill health for a while. High time for her on the main list

19. David Graham - A big yes from me (but what else did you expect) has continued to work though

Btw, Whale and Jerry are already on the DL this year. So it's 17 names.

The rest of the top eight I expect on next years list if alive. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Btw, Whale and Jerry are already on the DL this year. So it's 17 names.

The rest of the top eight I expect on next years list if alive. 

Good spot - I have amended my masterlist

But at the current rate we could lose another 7 of the crowdsourced list

Politician Ralph Nader is 88 years old and he's actually not been discussed that much here surprisingly. To be honest a name to watch for in these next couple of years.

• Like 2

I do feel that Glynis Johns is in the IM Pei camp of "if they've not put them on the list now they're never getting on it". Bizarre but not my place to criticise.

The "no Tom Parker" thing did make me ponder about the generation gap for DL picks in future... will nobody who got famous after 200x get a DL call-up, regardless of their fame level?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Politician Ralph Nader is 88 years old and he's actually not been discussed that much here surprisingly. To be honest a name to watch for in these next couple of years.

Good shout 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I do feel that Glynis Johns is in the IM Pei camp of "if they've not put them on the list now they're never getting on it". Bizarre but not my place

Agree with you ! IM Pei was a weird miss, Johns could be one. Don’t know Why they don’t go with such high profile like Iris Apfel, napolitano, Eastwood, Tippi Hedren, Sandra Day O Connor, Trintignant or even Eva Marie Saint and Leontyne Price instead of Starmer Smith for exemple Who is a nobody to a lot of us. All of them have reach the « never will be on it » zone even if they should and deserve to be on.

Anyway, I think Liza Minelli will be on the list and that’s ok with me, looks frailer than ever 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Agree with you ! IM Pei was a weird miss, Johns could be one. Don’t know Why they don’t go with such high profile like Iris Apfel, napolitano, Eastwood, Tippi Hedren, Sandra Day O Connor, Trintignant or even Eva Marie Saint and Leontyne Price instead of Starmer Smith for exemple Who is a nobody to a lot of us. All of them have reach the « never will be on it » zone even if they should and deserve to be on.

Anyway, I think Liza Minelli will be on the list and that’s ok with me, looks frailer than ever 

I agree with everyone on your list, but Clint Eastwood.

There is no more reason for Clint to be on the list than Dick van Dyke. At least DvD is quite a bit older. They may add Eastwood onto the list eventually, but honestly there is no reason too other than old. There are plenty of old people we could put on the list. Is Clint Eastwood worth missing a hit on vs having him as a bed-blocker for 5-6 years?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I'm not from the UK but I like picks like Starmer-Smith. As it's UK-based, the DL should always have a few names on it that are only known in (or barely known outside) the UK, in my humble opinion.

Besides, it also made sense to pick him because he looked terrible and near death on those photos.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Is Clint Eastwood worth missing a hit on vs having him as a bed-blocker for 5-6 years?

Absolutely worth missing IMO. There are too many people who are in that age rage (early 90s) that are otherwise in perfect health that have a chance of dying of natural causes at any time but they're not put on the list because they could still have another 10 years in them. It is much wiser to wait for a lot of people in that camp until they hit 96/97 and then use them. The list should be the seriously old, the ill and old ill people. Some picks might not be as famous as those not picked but someone with terminal disease has a much higher chance of dying than a random 90-something. Eastwood is only being mention because he is a big name no one has made a fuss about Sir Raymond Johnstone being a miss when he was the same age as Eastwood and equally as qualify-able.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 22:08, arghton said:

I tend to keep track of birthdays of old/ill celebs/pool possibilities and world's oldest people, always great formspotting opportunities...Here's a longer list, 26 July - 26 August. Lots of names regularly mentioned here.

26 July: James Lovelock, 103 (turns out he died on his birthday, the day this was posted) and Wang Xiji, 101

27 July: Norman Lear, 100

28 July: Alberto Fujimori and Chuan Leekpai, 84

31 July: Stefan Arczyński, 106

2 August: Leo Beenhakker, 80

3 August: Tony Bennett, 96

4 August: Ali al-Sistani, 92 

8 August: Dustin Hoffman, 85

9 August: Akintola Williams, 103 and Leonid Kuchma, 84

11 August: Pervez Musharraf, 79

12 August, Queen Sirikit, 90 and George Soros, 92

13 August: Sofia Rojas, 115 (Didn't make it)

14 August: David Crosby, 81

16 August: Frank Mawer, 110

17 August: Jiang Zemin, 96 and Theodoros Pangalos, 84

18 August: Just Fontaine and Roman Polanski, 89, Hifikepunye Pohamba, 87, Robert Redford, 86

19 August: Hsing Yun, 95

20 August: Tripolino Giannini, 110, Don King, 91, Ron Paul, 87

21 August: Ethel Caterham, 113 and Sister Jean, 103, X. J. Kennedy, 93, Festus Mogae, 83

23 August: Rose Eaton, 113, Barbara Eden, 91

24 August: Vince McMahon, 77

25 August: Frederick Forsyth, 84

26 August: John Tinniswood, 110 and Jet Black, 84

@arghton will there be an August-Septmber edition?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

@arghton will there be an August-Septmber edition?

Good idea, old/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc, pt. 2

27 August: Péter Boross and Mangosuthu Buthelezi, 94, Lien Chan, 86

28 August: Cleonice Berardinelli, 106, Paul Martin, 84

29 August: Iris Apfel, 101, Ashi Tashi Dorji, 99, Arnold Koller, 89

30 August: Vic Seixas, 99, Laurent de Brunhoff, 97, 

31 August: Martin Bell, 84

3 September: Irene Papas, 96, Pilar Pallete, 94, Armand Vaillancourt, 93, Dick Motta, 91

4 September: Giles Cropsey, 111, Mitzi Gaynor, 91, Vince Dooley, 90

5 September: Bob Newhart, 93, Carol Lawrence, 90

6 September: Fumihiko Maki, 94, Colin McColl, 90, David Allan Coe, 83

7 September: Sonny Rollins, 92, Abdou Diouf, 87, Latimore, 83

8 September: Jacqueline Ceballos, 97, Asha Bhosle and Donald Grey Triplett, 89, Sal Valentino, 80

9 September: Russell M. Nelson, 98, Yusuf Qaradawi, 96, Shirley Summerskill, 91, Chaim Topol, 87

10 September: C.R. Rao, 102, Bo Goldman, 90, Larry Sitsky, 88

11 September: George Joseph, 101, Earl Holliman, 94, Mátyás Szűrös and Rachid Sfar, 89, Arvo Pärt, 87, Queen Paola of Belgium, 85

12 September: Mathé Altéry, 95, Robert Irwin, 94

13 September: Anne Cernohorsky, 113, Arek Hersh, 93, Barbara Bain, 91, Guntis Ulmanis, 83, Sitiveni Rabuka, 74

14 September: Dominga Coca Garcia, 114?, Harry Sinden, 90, Walter Koenig, 86

15 September: Jean-Pierre Serre, 96, Viktor Zubkov, 81

16 September: Branka Veselinović, 104, Janis Paige, 100, Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar, 93, Micky Stewart, 90, Steve Shirley, 89, Billy Boy Arnold, 87

17 September: David Craig, Baron Craig of Radley, 93, Chuck Grassley, 89, David Souter, 83, Des Lynam, 80

18 September: Nermin Abadan Unat, 101, Robert Blake, 89

19 September: Rosemary Harris, 95, David McCallum, 89

20 September: Sophia Loren, 88

21 September: Kenneth McAlpine, 102, Shirley Conran, 90, Stephen King, 75

22 September: Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele, 102, Betty Reid Soskin, 101, James Lawson, 94

23 September: Georg Keßler, 90, Prem Chopra and Les McCann, 87

24 September: Bert I. Gordon, 100, Brian Glanville, 91

25 September: Wan Haifeng, 102, Barbara Walters, 93, Terry Medwin and Brian Murphy, 90, Michael Douglas, 78

26 September: James Hennessy, 99, Manmohan Singh, 90

27 September: Marcia Neugebauer, 90, Claude Jarman Jr., 88

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm updating my spreadsheet of old people. You're going to have to specify who Robert Irwin is that is 94 because all I get in Google is Steve Irwin's son and he is 18.

17 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I'm updating my spreadsheet of old people. You're going to have to specify who Robert Irwin is that is 94 because all I get in Google is Steve Irwin's son and he is 18.

Wikipedia page: Robert Irwin (artist)

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Good idea, old/ill celeb birthdays for form spotting etc, pt. 2

27 August: Péter Boross and Mangosuthu Buthelezi, 94, Lien Chan, 86

28 August: Cleonice Berardinelli, 106, Paul Martin, 84

29 August: Iris Apfel, 101, Ashi Tashi Dorji, 99, Arnold Koller, 89

30 August: Vic Seixas, 99, Laurent de Brunhoff, 97, 

31 August: Martin Bell, 84

3 September: Irene Papas, 96, Pilar Pallete, 94, Armand Vaillancourt, 93, Dick Motta, 91

4 September: Giles Cropsey, 111, Mitzi Gaynor, 91, Vince Dooley, 90

5 September: Bob Newhart, 93, Carol Lawrence, 90

6 September: Fumihiko Maki, 94, Colin McColl, 90, David Allan Coe, 83

7 September: Sonny Rollins, 92, Abdou Diouf, 87, Latimore, 83

8 September: Jacqueline Ceballos, 97, Asha Bhosle and Donald Grey Triplett, 89, Sal Valentino, 80

9 September: Russell M. Nelson, 98, Yusuf Qaradawi, 96, Shirley Summerskill, 91, Chaim Topol, 87

10 September: C.R. Rao, 102, Bo Goldman, 90, Larry Sitsky, 88

11 September: George Joseph, 101, Earl Holliman, 94, Mátyás Szűrös and Rachid Sfar, 89, Arvo Pärt, 87, Queen Paola of Belgium, 85

12 September: Mathé Altéry, 95, Robert Irwin, 94

13 September: Anne Cernohorsky, 113, Barbara Bain, 91, Guntis Ulmanis, 83, Sitiveni Rabuka, 74

14 September: Dominga Coca Garcia, 114?, Harry Sinden, 90, Walter Koenig, 86

15 September: Jean-Pierre Serre, 96, Viktor Zubkov, 81

16 September: Branka Veselinović, 104, Janis Paige, 100, Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar, 93, Micky Stewart, 90, Steve Shirley, 89, Billy Boy Arnold, 87

17 September: David Craig, Baron Craig of Radley, 93, Chuck Grassley, 89, David Souter, 83, Des Lynam, 80

18 September: Nermin Abadan Unat, 101, Robert Blake, 89

19 September: Rosemary Harris, 95, David McCallum, 89

20 September: Sophia Loren, 88

21 September: Kenneth McAlpine, 102, Shirley Conran, 90, Stephen King, 75

22 September: Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele, 102, Betty Reid Soskin, 101, James Lawson, 94

23 September: Georg Keßler, 90, Prem Chopra and Les McCann, 87

24 September: Bert I. Gordon, 100, Brian Glanville, 91

25 September: Wan Haifeng, 102, Barbara Walters, 93, Terry Medwin, 90, Michael Douglas, 78

26 September: James Hennessy, 99, Manmohan Singh, 90

27 September: Marcia Neugebauer, 90, Claude Jarman Jr., 88

Apparently people tend to die around their birthday so maybe we'll have some hits in this list within a month. Who will be the first to die according to you ? 

• Like 1