Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

Riding high in the UK charts right now - in the wake of it's impending cancellation - is the Neighbours theme.

Singer Barry Crocker is 86. Composer Tony Hatch is 82. Maybe not next year, but surely not too many years left in them.

• Like 3

Alan Dean Foster has no blog post from this month.

• Like 1

Roy Wood has cancelled a concert in November because of "medical issues". Considering it's so many months away, doesn't sound great sadly. 

• Sad 2

I've been doing research on Jurassic Park franchise and you may want to keep an eye on these people:

• Michael Kahn - 91 (film editor)
  • John Williams - 90 (composer)
  • Gerald R. Molen - 87 (producer and actor)
  • Harvey Jason - 81 (actor)
  • Martin Ferrero - 74 (actor)
  • Samuel L. Jackson - 73 (actor)
  • William H. Macy - 71 (actor) - Has one of those faces where he always looks ill

5 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I've been doing research on Jurassic Park franchise and you may want to keep an eye on these people:

• Michael Kahn - 91 (film editor)
  • John Williams - 90 (composer)
  • Gerald R. Molen - 87 (producer and actor)
  • Harvey Jason - 81 (actor)
  • Martin Ferrero - 74 (actor)
  • Samuel L. Jackson - 73 (actor)
  • William H. Macy - 71 (actor) - Has one of those faces where he always looks ill

I imagine his response would be somewhere along the line of...

hitmans-bodyguard-samuel-l-jackson.gif.86c3cc37687b216df966a30bc2618a50.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

US federal judge Roger Vinson, who almost killed Obamacare and whose legal statements allowed the unlimited data collection uncovered by Edward Snowden, has terminal prostate cancer. He was given 3 months to live last June, but is very unbothered by it and still drives himself to work:

https://eu.pnj.com/story/news/local/pensacola/2022/02/14/u-s-district-court-judge-roger-vinson-fights-prostate-cancer/6708546001/

• Like 3

How about Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown? Will turn 94 next year, if he doesn't die first.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uni said:

How about Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown? Will turn 94 next year, if he doesn't die first.

He's still in pretty good condition. He looked 20 years younger at the Kennedy Centre Honours a few months ago.

• Like 2

I’d like to see Yoko Ono, Willie Nelson, Vanessa Redgrave, Imelda Marcos and Bob Newhart return in 2023. I doubt Pope Benedict, Joanne Woodward and Linda Nolan will make the 2023 starting line but should they somehow, they really should return.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uni said:

He looked reasonably good for his age when he was at the Kennedy Center Awards. 

Former US secretary of defense Leon Panetta is looking very tired on CNN right now. I also kind of missed that he's already 83 years old.

• Like 1

Why not pick a surviving Columbo killer?

Lee Grant (b. 1925), Ransom for a Dead Man (1971)

Susan Clark (b. 1943)  Lady in Waiting (1971)

Vera Miles (b. 1929) - Lovely but Lethal (1973)

Dick van Dyke (b. 1925) - Negative Reaction (1974)

George Hamilton (b. 1939) - A Deadly State of Mind (1975) - the one with the evil Doctor who uses hypnotism to kill, Caution Murder Can Be Hazardous to your Health (1991)

Hector Elizondo (b. 1936) - A Case of Immunity (1975)

William Shatner (b. 1931) - Fade in to Murder (1976), Butterfly in Shades of Grey (1995)

Joyce van Patten (b. 1934) - Old Fashioned Murder (1976)

Trish Van Devere (b. 1941) - Make Me A Perfect Murder (1978)

Clive Revill (b. 1930) - The Conspirators (1978)

Tbh I mistook Revill for Davis above hence this. This far and no further? 

Anthony Andrews (b. 1948) -  Columbo Goes to the Guillotine (1989)

Fisher Stevens (b. 1963) - Murder, Smoke and Shadows (1989)

Lindsay Crouse (b. 1948) - Sex and the Married Detective (1989)

Robert Foxworth (b. 1941) - Grand Deceptions (1989)

Patrick Bachau (b. 1938) - Murder A Self Portrait (1990)

Ian Buchanan (b. 1957) - Columbo Cries Wolf (1990)

Helen Shaver (b. 1951) -  Rest in Peace, Mrs Columbo (1990)

James Read (b. 1953) - Uneasy Lies the Crown (1990)

Andrew Stevens (b. 1955) - Murder in Malibu (1990)

Gary Hershberger (b. 1964) - Columbo Goes to College (1991)

Stephen Caffrey (b. 1959) - Columbo Goes to College (1991)

Dabney Coleman (b. 1932) - Murder of a Rock Star (1991)

Tyne Daly (b. 1946) - A Bird in the Hand (1992)

Greg Evignan (b. 1953) - A Bird in the Hand (1992)

Faye Dunaway (b. 1941) - Its All in the Game (1993)

Claudia Christian (b. 1965) - Its All in the Game (1993)

Ed Begley Jr (1949) - Undercover (1994)

George Wendt (b. 1948) - Strange Bedfellows (1995)

Shera Danese (b. 1949) - A Trace of Murder (1997) - Peter Falk's widow

David Rasche (b. 1944) - A Trace of Murder (1997)

Billy Connolly (b. 1942) - Murder with Too Many Notes (2001)

Matthew Rhys (b. 1974) - Columbo Likes the Nightlife (2003)

Jennifer Sky (b. 1976) - Columbo Likes the Nightlife (2003)

Someone else did this list years ago but it appears to have been deleted, for shame. Anyhow, most of the best Columbo villains have joined Falk on the other side, including Patrick McGoohan, Jack Cassidy, Theodore Bikel, etc. Of the living classic era killers, Shatner's probably the best, though Van Devere's 4 minute murder getaway is still an engaging bit of TV - even if it wouldn't work today.

Just one more thing - Bob Dishy who appeared twice as overeager Sgt Wilson is still alive and just turned 88. Also, while Playback's killer died decades ago, his put upon wife, Gena Rowlands (b. 1930) is likewise still with us. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, TheCemetaryMan said:

Why not Hugh Hefner's Wife? Millie Williams be 96 this year. 

Do we have any hard evidence of her being alive, other than clickbait type "news" articles like this.

Every family tree on Ancestry says she died in the 2000s, but they're not particularly reliable either.

EDIT: This could be her, in which case she's still alive at 95 and based in Winnetka, Illinois, living as "Mildred Williams Gunn".

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Do we have any hard evidence of her being alive, other than clickbait type "news" articles like this.

Every family tree on Ancestry says she died in the 2000s, but they're not particularly reliable either.

EDIT: This could be her, in which case she's still alive at 95 and based in Winnetka, Illinois, living as "Mildred Williams Gunn".

I haven't found any evidence of her passing away. I am sure if one of his wives died - it would be all over the news. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

I’d like to see Yoko Ono, Willie Nelson, Vanessa Redgrave, Imelda Marcos and Bob Newhart return in 2023. I doubt Pope Benedict, Joanne Woodward and Linda Nolan will make the 2023 starting line but should they somehow, they really should return.

I’d also expect to see Louis Farrakhan, Lester Piggott, Bernard Cribbins, Raul Castro and Betty Boothroyd all return to the DL in 2023, with Barbara Walters being a no brainer returnee, if she somehow survives 2022. 

I would like to disagree about Willie, he's a really nice guy, but his habits make me wonder how the hell is he still alive.

He reportedly started drinking and smoking at around six, smoked two or three packs a day, temporarily quitting due to lung collapse in 1981 and then again until (the 2000s?) quitting after suffering from pneumonia several times. He'd also suffered from pneumonia and emphysema for several times before 2015 and has been ill since.

He has a few performances from March up to August, seems to have canceled the one he had for 4/20 and probably will keep performing until he dies. He'll be 90 next year, should be put back on the list.

Kris Kristofferson is another one I'd like to see on the list. He's been awfully quiet for a while, has completely retired and country musicians usually don't retire. None of the dead highwaymen lasted long after they stopped performing

21 minutes ago, arghton said:

None of the dead highwaymen lasted long after they stopped performing

Not as great a precedent as it sounds - Waylon Jennings pretty much retired a few years before he died due to his health, but Johnny Cash was still performing and recording pretty much up to his final hospitalisation! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, arghton said:

Kris Kristofferson is another one I'd like to see on the list. He's been awfully quiet for a while, has completely retired and country musicians usually don't retire. None of the dead highwaymen lasted long after they stopped performing

Yes. I have noticed his silence, too. Could be COVID, maybe he has a co-morbidity. Or well, could be his age and inevitably worsening health.

• Like 2

Kristofferson looked and sounded awful when he played Glastonbury a few years ago. I'm surprised he's still here.

• Like 2

Christopher Lloyd, Henry Winkler, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristoferson, Ric Flair, Jimmy JJ Walker, Chuck Norris, Bette Midler, James Earl Jones, Sally Jessy Raphael, Phil Donahue, Jerry Lee Lewis, Neil Diamond, John Astin, Michael Keaton, Burt Ward,  Sandy Duncan, Anthony Hopkins, Danny GLover, Bill Cosby, tim curry

• Like 1

Artist David Gentleman is still alive at the age of 91. He's as much a part of the British fabric as the speaking clock and London Underground platform announcements, as he's designed over 100 sets of commemorative stamps for the Royal Mail (amongst his other work); fittingly he's now being honoured with a new set of commemorative stamps to mark his work.

• Like 2