Grim Reaper

Jean-Luc Godard

He's strangely popular in the deadpooling world. Quite a few teams in my Death By Numbers pool have him. I don't know why, but I might be missing something. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Godard instead of Trintignant? I really don’t understand. Still not a bad pick though.

Arguably he is more famous through neither are household names in either the UK or USA.

I have heard of him. Have no  idea what his health status is.

• Like 1

Here's an over hour-long interview from March 2021:

Sounds frail but I don't think he's going this year. Love the part around 1:15:00 to 1:19:00 when he tries to show the people talking with him a picture from his phone but can't find it, lights a cigar instead

He is very frail. Could be a good pick.

9 hours ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Without a doubt the greatest living movie director (and I am sure the others will agree).

Steven Spielberg?

Martin Scorsese?

James Cameron?

Tommy Wiseau?

• Haha 3

I think Godard has a strong case for being the most influential living director. Whether his films were good or not will be subject to serious debate when he dies, and for a long time after.

1 minute ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Loved him in Star Trek The Next Generation. 

Reminds me while I was running the crowdsourced list a few years back I actually accidentally marked down Godard as Jean Luc Picard :unsure:

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Steven Spielberg?

Martin Scorsese?

James Cameron?

Do you only watch Hollywood films?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/01/2022 at 14:57, Drewsky1211 said:

Steven Spielberg?

Martin Scorsese?

James Cameron?

Tell me you are Hollywood-centrist without telling me you are Hollywood-centrist. 

Breathless alone is more important to cinema than any of these guys movies, and I am almost 100 per cent sure they would agree. Tarantino basically made a career out of copying this dude, and look how big Tarantino is. Also the comparison to Cameron just hurts. You could have at least stopped at Scorsese and your argument would have been at the minimum not laughable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and I see someone just mentioned George Lucas as the greatest living director and now I have to lay down and think about it for the next 45 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tbh as an admirer of Kurosawa's art, and Clouzet (art not politics), I'd put Spielberg in the frame as the best living director of the Western blockbuster. Greatest is open to interpretation, see the different readings of it above.

But not Lucas. Though he wears his Leni  Riefenstahl influence shot for shot. And she was a great director. She wouldn't having been so dangerous if she'd been a hack!

On 02/01/2022 at 13:57, Drewsky1211 said:

Steven Spielberg?

Martin Scorsese?

James Cameron?

I think they'd all agree Godard was a major director. Not to mention Quentin Tarantino.

1 hour ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Tell me you are Hollywood-centrist without telling me you are Hollywood-centrist. 

Breathless alone is more important to cinema than any of these guys movies, and I am almost 100 per cent sure they would agree. Tarantino basically made a career out of copying this dude, and look how big Tarantino is. Also the comparison to Cameron just hurts. You could have at least stopped at Scorsese and your argument would have been at the minimum not laughable.

I think I understand now.

a) I should expand my movie palette

and b)

Dont Put Your Opinion On The Internet by yunolikemymeme - Meme Center