Joey Russ

Thoughts On The 2022 List

I'm a little shocked they dropped the Pope :blink:

• Like 5

It’s a good list ! Personally I love it, Great inclusion with Chomsky, Kundera and etc… sorrry I’m drunk  

1 minute ago, Book said:

I'm a little shocked they dropped the Pope :blink:

Better to drop the Pope than drop the soap….

James Whale and Bill Turnbull are great additions, but don't know if dropping Linda Nolan, Shannen Doherty and Benedict XVI were good ideas, also surprised that there's no Frank Field or Alagiah. 

• Like 6

Nice list. :)

Best list for years

• Like 1

Pleased to see Joss Ackland finally included. Also impressed that the Committee have chosen Nigel Starmer-Smith presumably partly due to a shortage of commentator options following Walker and Alliss buying the farm. 

• Like 1

This is probably one of the year I’m saying this but this is a good list, the only missing is Pope Benedict XIV, Trintignant and Glynis Johns but that’s ok this is good 

• Like 1

Seems like Shane's been sentenced to death.

Carter and Phillips could've been a bit higher (or, honestly, as #1 and #2), Attenborough and Akihito seem like wasted picks, pretty sure they won't die this year. Could add Berlusconi to that group, too. 

Joss Ackland, Marianne Faithfull, Pele, Norman Tebbit, Jerry Lee Lewis, Robert Durst, James Whale, Unabomber (even though a bit risky), Gorba, Godard, Hurd are great new picks. A bit suprised Frank Field isn't there. 

18 minutes ago, msc said:

1.       Ali Khamenei

2.       Bob Newhart

3.       Barbara Walters

4.       Pope Benedict XVI

5.       Imelda Marcos

6.       Yoko Ono

7.       Linda Nolan

8.       Joanne Woodward

9.       Willie Nelson

10.   Betty Boothroyd

11.   Raul Castro

12.   Bernard Cribbins

13.   Vanessa Redgrave

14.   Shannen Doherty

Dropping some of the perennial dementia sufferers, folks with stage four cancer and frail soon 95-year old Pope Benny might prove to be bad choices. Lots of good drops though, I don't think Cribbins or Nelson will go yet. 

Jiang Zemin is the one big name I would've wanted to see on this DL as he's been hanging on for so long. Maybe Martti Ahtisaari too, but I think he might make it to '23. 

However this seems like a great list. Happy to see Jerry Lee Lewis and Gorbachev return. 

• Like 1

I am very confused with Sir Michael Gambon being on the list. I haven't personally seen anything that might suggest he is seriously ill or anything, just early signs of alzheimer's.

• Like 1

I’ve not usually got a problem with putting Dick first, but on this list it’s absolute fucking madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Number 1 and 40 are horrible choices and where the hell is Frank Field(?) but, other than that, it's a decent enough list.

Very poor list this year. No Frank field or the pope. Yet Michael Gambon and Macgowan again. What is the matter with this community. Nichelle Nicholls should have been on the list too 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stuart Beck said:

I am very confused with Sir Michael Gambon being on the list. I haven't personally seen anything that might suggest he is Ill or anything.

Can't decide what's the most confusing; Gambon's inclusion or Dick Van Dyke in the top spot. Got to be a last minute replacement for Betty White, right? 

I just read some stuff about Gambon having memory problems but I wouldn't consider that a death sentence within the next year.

Not a bad list.Frank Field is a massive miss  though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

Very poor list this year. No Frank field or the pope. Yet Michael Gambon and Macgowan again. What is the matter with this community. Nichelle Nicholls should have been on the list too 

You're right about the examples you gave (also, just noticed there's no Barbara Walters, who will surely be this year's Larry King silly miss) but, compared to last year, the list is still ok, if nothing special.

• Like 2

Surprised to see Bill Turnbull on there, but no George Alagiah? Silly, if you ask me. 

• Like 4

Just now, jonnythegamemaster said:

I just read some stuff about Gambon having memory problems but I wouldn't consider that a death sentence within the next year.

Yeah I did see something that said he had early signs of Alzheimer's, but as you said that's not a death sentence. (Take a look at Prunella Scales for proof)

• Like 1

Gorbachev is a good addition, Michael Gambon not so much. Overall it feels like they're playing it safe after last year's underwhelming results. Could have been worse :old:

• Like 1