Joey Russ

Thoughts On The 2022 List

2 minutes ago, Stuart Beck said:

Yeah I did see something that said he had early signs of Alzheimer's, but as you said that's not a death sentence. (Take a look at Prunella Scales for proof)

Really depends on the type of dementia. It has been mentioned that Scales has a fairly slow form of dementia. 

• Like 1

I think it’s a good list, I like it, especially compared to the one I hated last year.

Incomprehensible the absence of Frank Field and Pope Benedict XVI.

As an Italian I tell you that it would have been much smarter to have included Giorgio Napolitano in Berlusconi’s place.

• Like 2

Bernard Cribbins isn't on the list!!:)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, msc said:

1.       Ali Khamenei

2.       Bob Newhart

3.       Barbara Walters

4.       Pope Benedict XVI

5.       Imelda Marcos

6.       Yoko Ono

7.       Linda Nolan

8.       Joanne Woodward

9.       Willie Nelson

10.   Betty Boothroyd

11.   Raul Castro

12.   Bernard Cribbins

13.   Vanessa Redgrave

14.   Shannen Doherty

The Drops.

Some of them quite brave.

Could see 5 or more of them going this year.

• Like 2

Pretty decent list. Varied and interesting rather than just relying on very old people and obvious picks. There are a lot of very old people on the list but so many of the people who've we've grown up with and have always been around *are* getting old now. A bit sad that Linda Ronstadt has made the list; Marianne Faithfull more expected, sadly, though I still think she's as tough as old boots and will probably see out all of the Stones just by sheer bloody mindedness (see also: Yoko).

Frank Field is an oversight to put it mildly but otherwise not bad at all.

• Like 2

I think dropping the former Pope, Yoko as well as the failure to include Sandra Day O'Connor are huge misses. I would have also liked to have seen Redgrave, Walters, Nelson and Boothroyd stay on the list. I'm fine with Dick Van Dyke on the list, but does he really belong in the top five? I'm actually pleased with Gambon's appearance on the list. A bit of a wildcard pick, but not a dumb one.

I was always expecting Frank Field to peg it before January given he had hospice care, so surprised he's not on the list. The fact that they have given him a CH for no good reason suggests they don't expect him to live very long. A last minute reward for Brexit. 

It would've made more sense to give him the Queen's place on the list as she will be around for a while yet. Just like Betty White...

At first glance, it looks like the 2022 DL will be a fine vintage, conjuring at least 15 hits by the time the year is out. 

Possible dates of departure 

17th January: Leslie Phillips 

10th February: Joss Ackland

18th February: Pelé

11th March: Ted Kaczynski 

17th April: Sidney Poitier

4th May: Bob Barker

31st May: Harry Belafonte

19th June: James Whale

1st July: Jacques Delors

14th July: Robert Durst

9th August: Jerry Lee Lewis

12th September: Milan Kundera

24th October: Mikhail Gorbachev

3rd November: Norman Tebbit

17th December: Douglas Hurd

28th December: Marianne Faithfull

• Like 2

Big mistake dropping Joanne Woodward and also errors made with dropping Pope Benedict, Barbara Walters and potentially Linda Nolan (although I expected this last drop). Cheney, Crosby, MacGowan and Bacharach could have been dropped instead. Also cannot understand how Jean-Luc Godard made it, whilst Jean-Louis Trintignant didn’t, it’s madness! And the absences of Frank Field and George Alagiah perplex me, whilst Bill Turnbull strangely made it. Van Dyke at no. 1, Greenspan at no. 5 and Lynn at no. 7 is also very odd. Anyway, I’m just glad Clint Eastwood isn’t on it and that Joss Ackland finally made it and this DL still has promise! 

Pelé is a good addition too!

• Like 2

As stated before, I feel Glynis Johns and George Alagiah should have made this list. Also Marsha Hunt.

• Like 1

I'd like to mention that this is the first list since 1998 not to include a centenarian, or someone who will be turning 100 later in the year, on the list.

Kissinger and Barker are the oldest picks, at 99.

Thanks, Betty.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

I'd like to mention that this is the first list since 1998 not to include a centenarian, or someone who will be turning 100 later in the year, on the list.

Kissinger and Barker are the oldest picks, at 99.

Thanks, Betty.

Ah, I miss the days of de Havilland, Douglas, Niemeyer and Wouk. You don't know what you got til it's gone... :pop:

• Haha 2

Middling list - I reckon I'll outscore them again this year. But it's an improvement on the last couple of years at least.

DvD as number one, they must be trolling us??

Are they a goner in 2022?

Dick Van Dyke: No, now might have been a reasonable time for his debut but he is still an incredibly fit and active DL bedblocker. Number one? No reason why he shouldn’t make 100 and he said in 2021 that he’s very determined to make the big 100. Fellow Mary Poppins cast member Glynis Johns would have been a much wiser pick.

Henry Kissinger: No, I know he’s overweight and ancient, but still participating in interviews last year leads me to believe his mind remains sharp and that he has a good chance of making 100.

Angela Lansbury: No, I see 98 as her age at death and her health isn’t known to be failing, it just sounds like she is slowing down at 96 by stopping Fan mail, which is understandable. 

Bob Barker: Yes, I see him living to 98 like Bob Dole did. Barker’s health has been plaguing him for years, I feel this year will finally get the better of him. Maybe an upcoming lung cancer diagnosis? 

Alan Greenspan: No, one of the healthiest 95 year old men out there, a lazy carryover who is still highly active doing interviews, a better carryover would have been Joanne Woodward or Barbara Walters. Keep Greenspan off for another few years.

Nigel Starmer-Smith: No, the committee may have jumped the gun a bit with this one. Suffering from dementia and in a care home but still under 80 and not known to be terminally ill. Very surprised he made the list, let alone position no. 6. 

Loretta Lynn: No, still incredibly chipper and healthy in a thanksgiving video late last year, wouldn’t bank on her dying until at earliest mid 2023. 

June Brown: No, ancient with failing eyesight but spritely and a hard bird to kill. The committee played it safe to get her on just in case, but if she makes 96 in 2023, it won’t surprise me and her at no. 8 is much too high. 

Jimmy Carter: No, he keeps defying all the odds and still doesn’t look too bad, can see him dying in 2023, at 98. What a trooper. 

Tony Bennett: No, I understand why he’s kept on, especially considering his Alzheimer’s situation but he was still performing and releasing albums around the age of 95, only a few months ago.

Dick Cheney: No, only 80 and not in a terminal state of health, he may still have another 5 to 10 years! Pope Benedict would have been a wiser carryover.

Queen Elizabeth II: No, I understand she is too big to miss and her health is finally starting to give but the 2022 DL really could have taken the risk of missing her. She’s not going anywhere in 2022 or 2023 or 2024 etc. 

Harry Belafonte: Yes, I still feel his death won’t be long after his buddy Sidney Poitier’s death. The chances Belafonte and Poitier will see 2023 are very slim. Them both dying at the milestone age of 95, just seems right. 

Mel Brooks: No, still too healthy and full of life to be considered yet. A wasted pick. Published his autobiography late last year and gave a lively interview with it. See him again in another 5 years.

Mikhail Gorbachev: Yes, not a DL cert but has been in ill health for what feels like an eternity. Great to see his return.

Bobby Charlton: No, he was just diagnosed with dementia about a year ago and it is usually a slow progressing disease. On average, people live around 10 ten years following a diagnosis and Charlton’s not very old, only 84. 

David Attenborough: No, he may be a 95 year old but he is one of the healthiest and most active 95 year olds out there. 

Emperor Akihito: No, still under 90, less stress after having resigned, I feel he’s still got a quite a few years left and he’s again positioned much too high, if he’s not an entirely unnecessary pick altogether still at this time. 

Leslie Phillips: Yes, he’s nearly 98, has suffered numerous health setbacks and has gone worryingly quiet in recent years. My first guess for the 2022 DL’s first hit.

Rosalynn Carter: No, lazy carryover, the Committee should wait for Jimmy to tumble and select Rosalynn the following year.

Sandy Gall: No, just old at 94, not known to be suffering from poor health. The 2022 DL should have exercised more creativity by taking up this spot with Frank Field, George Alagiah or Monica Vitti. 

Desmond Morris: No, seems quite able and healthy in relatively recent photos with David Attenborough and is not known to be in ill health. Quite a lazy pick, I would have approved of Mahathir Mohamad much more. Morris will probably make 95 at least. 

Ted Kaczynski: Yes, a great pick by the committee if a bit too easy. He has just transferred prisons because of health reasons. Probably one of the first successes of the year. 

Jean-Marie Le Pen: No, not in particularly poor health, was still sharp in an interview conducted late last year, should see 2023, maybe even 2024. 

Estelle Harris: No, surprised she passed the famousness test and still an understandable pick at this time but I see her like a little Betty White, Harris should see her 95th birthday without a fuss. 

James Whale: Yes, cancer had spread all over his body in 2020, how is this man still alive? 

Cleo Laine: No, see Sandy Gall above. 

Bill Turnbull: No, despite his prostate cancer, he seems very determined to be back at work soon, whatever it takes. 

Jerry Lee Lewis: Yes, he sure is no picture of health these days, has lived a wild, excessive lifestyle and suffered a stroke in 2019.

Jacques Delors: Yes, 96 years old is a dangerous age for any man and Delors was only recently reported to have missed the 25th anniversary bash for his institute because of ill health. 

Denis Law: No, still looked very good at a public event with Bobby Charlton last year. Dementia isn’t necessarily a death sentence, Frank Field would have been a much better candidate. 

Prunella Scales: No, her alzheimer’s keeps progressing but she has been keeping active which must help, last month she was still going out in public and watched a public play. Her husband also says she is often in a good mood. One for 2023, I’m guessing...

Sidney Poitier: Yes, soon to be 95, guessing he’ll be dead soon after, I can see Poitier dying at 95. Amazing he has lived this long, especially considering he’s been close to 6’3” most of his life, many very tall men don’t live nearly this long. In fact, Poitier is the tallest candidate on this year’s DL. 

Burt Bacharach: No, still relatively active and in fine health, one of the worst 2022 DL carryovers, maybe the worst. What was wrong with Joanne Woodward?

Stanley Baxter: No, this pick is again just based on age, no known health issues and another lazy carryover. Not impossible he won’t see 2023, but I bet he will and his 97th birthday. 

Robert Durst: Yes, his health has seemingly taken a turn for the worst, in recent months. 

Noam Chomsky: No, still mentally sharp and active in doing interviews and making public comments on current world crises. Can see him staying around for a lot longer. Jiang Zemin or Giorgio Napolitano would have been better additions at this stage. 

Bill Treacher: No, not a bad pick but this guy is a tough one, could keep going for another 5 years. Plus, most actors from British sitcoms often live to high ages. 

Norman Tebbit: Yes, reportedly very frail and pale, can’t have much longer left. 

David Crosby: No, only 80 and not in a critical condition.

Pelé: Yes, he was in and out of the hospital throughout 2021, has colon cancer and even admitted that he was dying last year. He keeps coming back saying he feels great but I see him dying very soon at the age of 81. Likely to be one of this DL’s first successes.

Michael Gambon: No, not a picture of health but he still looked ok 5 years ago at the King of Thieves premiere and his only known health issue is memory loss, which is only natural for over 80s. 

Douglas Hurd: Yes, very quiet of late and approaching 92 quickly. 

Silvio Berlusconi: No, rumours abound he will be President again and with all his evading of ongoing health issues and hospital visits, I’m beginning to believe it.

Marianne Faithfull: Yes, has been in a grave state of health for a long time, it’ll be surprising if she makes 2023. 

Milan Kundera: Yes, just a feeling he’ll pull out this year at 93. 

Linda Ronstadt: No, I’m aware of her Parkinson’s disease, but she has been holding on rather well all this time with it, so I don’t see reaching 2023 a big challenge for her. 

Jean-Luc Godard: No, I know I’ve stated this numerous times before but why on earth was this guy chosen over the ailing Jean-Louis Trintignant? Godard, although still a good pick, isn’t even known to be ill, just old. 

Joss Ackland: Yes, overweight, old and I just feel he’s going any day now. Another contender for first DL success of the year. 

Shane MacGowan: No, I’m starting to see the logic behind this continuous returnee considering his unhealthy lifestyle, he’ll die before we know it, but in 2022? Considering his relatively healthy appearances recently, I don’t think so.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Also don't understand MacGowan. He seems to be nowhere near death's door and relatively young. Being in a wheelchair doesn't mean you're about to die.

As usual, there are some newcomers that I've never heard of, so I can't tell if they are good or bad picks from a health perspective. But when you don't see certain names you were hoping for (i.e. Eva Marie Saint), you do become biased against some who did make the cut.

Notice how only 10 out of 50 people are women? In a way, I can understand. I myself found more ill male celebs than female when creating my different teams. However, they could have tried to make it a little less uneven.

• Like 2

What surprises me is why there are a shit load of other lists popping up cause they all seem to be fucking experts at who should and shouldn't be on the lisr.  People need to chill out a bit and trust the list

• Like 2

I know, I know, complaining is easy... but the list is a little "narrow" for me. It could use a wider perspective beyond US soap actors and UK politicians, broadly speaking.

However, I think the list will do slightly better than last time.

• Like 3

I think it's a good list. Not perfect, but imo better than last year.

Maybe it's possible to reach 15-17 or even 20 deaths (why not more ?)

Bad choice I think : DVD at top (why ?! Barker, Kissinger or Carter are all in worse condition than him imo) ; McGowan.

Others could be a good choice, we will talk about it next year :D

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I know, I know, complaining is easy... but the list is a little "narrow" for me. It could use a wider perspective beyond US soap actors and UK politicians, broadly speaking.

However, I think the list will do slightly better than last time.

Its not so much the critical criticism I'm complaining about.  It the ones that are adament they are right and the the list is shit cause what they said didn't make the list. 

3 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Its not so much the critical criticism I'm complaining about.  It the ones that are adament they are right and the the list is shit cause what they said didn't make the list. 

Well, I was just thinking while under the shower that maybe I am actually quite okay with the list. Noam Chomsky, Nigel Starmer-Smith, also Jean-Luc Godard....not that bad.

I think I am just missing 1-2 names more out of left field, whatever they are. But I think 40-45 names on the list are really good.

Pele, Sir Bobby Charlton, James Whale and Estelle Harris are excellent choices for newcomers and having Gorbachev and David Attenborough returning as well is a great thing, honestly just about every newcomer/return pick is decent actually.

As for removals, I agree with several posters here that dropping Linda Nolan is a huge gamble that might backfire, same thing with Pope Benedict and Barbara Walters as well, I personally feel that Emperor Akihito and David Crosby could have been dropped instead because they seem to be in great health, heck Crosby's former bandmate Stephen Stills is in worse shape than him IMO. The other removals seem to be okay.

Overall this seems like a pretty good list, I expect more hits this time, about 14-15.

• Like 2