Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Well-spotted, my brief research for the name alighted upon the other mononymous Indian actor called Rajesh, who is still alive. Old Crem, can you please clarify which Rajesh you meant, as I need to know whether or not to go through with a substitution. 

I picked which one was mentioned as in critical condition on the forum a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t do any further research. 

19 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, I just yelled an expletive at the top of my lungs.  Moved him from roster to first SUB right before I sent in my team.  Went with the damn rapper Ankhal instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rule of thumb, whenever someone with pancreatic cancer needs to "focus on healing", pick them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Rule of thumb, whenever someone with pancreatic cancer needs to "focus on healing", pick them.

Yeah, that was the wrong name to switch out.  Dumb move

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

I can’t believe it was solo. Stunning no one else figured top 11.  I had him as alternate. Dammitall.

SiMan says: get the fuck up. Silas Alexander might sound like the name of a Crewe Alexander centre-back, but he was a presence on Atlanta's R&B/hip-hop radio stations for more than two decades, even co-hosting a syndicated show with "oh yeah him" early 90s rapper Chubb Rock. Diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last September, he immediately started a podcast with his similarly stricken DJ cousin MixMasterMitch called "Cousins with Cancer." Mitch died last December, and March sees a family reunion that puts gcreptile 4-0 up against some scrub.

Banana 4 - Masterffull 0

sideik 0 - alt obits guy 4

gcreptile 4 - SpadeCooley 0

• Like 1

Fucking get in

And there's the first... what's the opposite of a landmine? Mario Kart speed boost? Rod Marsh was one of the greatest wicket keepers of all-time, particularly famed for his partnership with Dennis Lillee and dead otter moustache. He came to the attention of DL Cup selectors thanks to a heart attack at the end of February, with further deteriorations in his condition only becoming apparent after the deadline fell. Regardless, plenty of teams were expecting Iron Hands to be smelted - Annami most notably getting a captain pick and Banana being first to score two hits this round. 

DeathByArsenic 0 vs Captain Hemlock 0

BabyBlue 0 vs Predictor 0

Banana 7 vs Masterffull 0

HDS 0 vs The Old Crem 0

YorkshireBanker 0 vs An Fear Baeg 3

maryportfuncity 0 vs Famous6Eva 0

Pop_Zeus vs Perhaps 3

gcreptile 4 vs SpadeCooley 3

MariNisia 0 vs msc 3

Book 3 vs Sir Cunto 3

Grim Up North 3 vs Salmon Mousse 0

Bibliogryphon 0 vs Annami 6

CaptainChorizo 0 vs TQR 3

Sideik 3 vs alt obits guy 4

deadsox 0 vs Joey Russ 3

DevonDeathTrip 3 vs CalebH 0

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Salmon's Tevin Obiga unique is dead.

Kenyan Man Hospitalised in Canada Dies Week after Mum's Arrival: "He Fought Hard" - Tuko.co.ke

I'd just like a short steward's enquiry on eligibility.

Kenyan man? A student in Canada?

If it was on the visa application then that was his mother who is famous and not him.

In the rules I note rule 6 but I have to read through 4 and 5 before I get to 6.

4.    Banned picks – We're slightly  more lenient than the DDP, but we're still banning Famous For Being Ill, people on Death Row (unless they die naturally), anyone who is a prisoner of a terrorist organisation, animals, the under 18s, and anyone who is "missing in action" but blatantly already dead.

5.    Famous For Being Ill picks are those who have no notoriety outside of their cancer/other illness. If they played two matches for a Conference North team or they were mayor of a city in Kiribati back in the 90s, that's fine. If they're Joe Bloggs who is in a coma after refusing a covid vaccine or a Brave Parent Celebrating Their Last Christmas, they're not getting accepted. 

6.    If in doubt, submit a pick, but the decision of the ref (me) is final and is not open to any court of appeal. If you think it’s a dodgy pick, it probably is. 

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Salmon's Tevin Obiga unique is dead.

Kenyan Man Hospitalised in Canada Dies Week after Mum's Arrival: "He Fought Hard" - Tuko.co.ke

I'd just like a short steward's enquiry on eligibility.

Kenyan man? A student in Canada?

If it was on the visa application then that was his mother who is famous and not him.

In the rules I note rule 6 but I have to read through 4 and 5 before I get to 6.

4.    Banned picks – We're slightly  more lenient than the DDP, but we're still banning Famous For Being Ill, people on Death Row (unless they die naturally), anyone who is a prisoner of a terrorist organisation, animals, the under 18s, and anyone who is "missing in action" but blatantly already dead.

5.    Famous For Being Ill picks are those who have no notoriety outside of their cancer/other illness. If they played two matches for a Conference North team or they were mayor of a city in Kiribati back in the 90s, that's fine. If they're Joe Bloggs who is in a coma after refusing a covid vaccine or a Brave Parent Celebrating Their Last Christmas, they're not getting accepted. 

6.    If in doubt, submit a pick, but the decision of the ref (me) is final and is not open to any court of appeal. If you think it’s a dodgy pick, it probably is. 

That’d be because he’s a football player for the Harambee Stars. Weird there’s no mention of that in his obituary though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

That’d be because he’s a football player for the Harambee Stars. Weird there’s no mention of that in his obituary though 

Steward's enquiry over - thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Oh that guy, I saw him last week but didn't really consider him. Apologies if that's fucked over Grim! :D

OK, there may be an issue here. The Harambe Stars aren't a club football team - it's the nickname for the Kenyan national team. And... I'm struggling to find any evidence that he actually played for Kenya. Let me break it down:

Quote from his brother from this CBC news story: 

"Last summer, he was playing for the Kenyan team [at the African Nations Cup soccer tournament] ... and suddenly when I'm going to see him, he's in this hospital bed in ICU with pipes all over, equipment and the life support machine."

So the tournament is called African Nations Cup, its the African Cup of Nations. And he couldn't have watched it last summer... because as everyone knows AFCON is held in January. It fucks up mid-table Premier League teams every two years because half their team flies out to Mogadishu. 

Maybe he meant the qualifiers? Except there were no qualifiers for AFCON last summer either. There were two qualifiers in March 2021, maybe he meant that? There was no Tevin Obiga in the squad for either their 1-1 draw away to Egypt, or their 2-1 win over Togo. There is no Tevin Obiga in the "recent squad callups" for the Kenyan national team on Wikipedia. There is no Tevin Obiga on TransfrMarkt. There's 300,000 players in the FM22 database - there is no Tevin Obiga. Kenya might not be a football powerhouse, but they're not a pub team. There's data on them online and none of it includes Tevin Obiga.

The only photo of him in any of these articles of him doing something football-y is this:

tevin-obiga.jpg

Which doesn't appear to be any of the shirts the Kenyan national team launched in 2019:

kenya-afcon-2019-macron-kit.jpg?w=1024&s

It's also weird that he is only referred to as playing for the national team and not a club side. I'd have said someone good enough to play for Kenya's national team could easily walk into a club contract in Canada. Ah, wait for the next post.

• Like 3

image.png.5c8b162a52aae08e3b215832081d0827.png

See the logo behind him? It took me a long time to read the first word (second is obviously Africa or African), but I got it. Manitoba. 

cropped-logo-1.jpg

It's the Manitoba African Cup of Nations, a small amateur tournament for African expats in the Manitoba area. He's not an international footballer, he's a guy who plays... it's not even Sunday league. Anyone from this forum who lived in Guinea-Bissau for a few years could play in that tournament. He's not famous, he's just got an uncle who was very good at bullshitting the media.

• Like 3

I don't believe there was any ill intent from Salmon Mousse here at all: I don't expect DL Cup teams to do in-depth bios of every one they select. But I am going to retrospectively disqualify Tevin and replace him with SM's first sub, which was.... Silas Alexander. So he gets points anyway, and gcreptile loses a unique point.

HDS 0 vs The Old Crem 0

Pop_Zeus vs Perhaps 3

gcreptile 3 vs SpadeCooley 3

MariNisia 0 vs msc 3

Book 3 vs Sir Cunto 3

Grim Up North 3 vs Salmon Mousse 3

deadsox 0 vs Joey Russ 3

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I don't believe there was any ill intent from Salmon Mousse here at all: I don't expect DL Cup teams to do in-depth bios of every one they select. But I am going to retrospectively disqualify Tevin and replace him with SM's first sub, which was.... Silas Alexander. So he gets points anyway, and gcreptile loses a unique point.

HDS 0 vs The Old Crem 0

Pop_Zeus vs Perhaps 3

MariNisia 0 vs msc 3

Book 3 vs Sir Cunto 3

deadsox 0 vs Joey Russ 3

Haha - and I'm still losing on age countback.

And Spade is still losing on countback too so after all that not much has changed. :D

EDIT: Although it might make a difference later on if Vicky Phelan (48) or Susie Steiner (51) die and Pele (81) or Leonel Sanchez (85) die..... 

26 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Certainly wasn't trying to pull a fast one.  Honestly not even sure how I originally stumbled across the articles about his illness.  Was doing all my research via phone, at that point, and couldn't replicate my findings when I returned to my PC (which wasn't until the 1st) by simply typing his name alone (without including either "Harambee Stars" or his mother's name), which had me concerned.  Was a bit surprised, in all honestly, the name had been accepted in the first place.

Pau Riba dead at 73.

• Like 1

Pau, right in the kisser. Pau Riba was a Spanish folk musician and writer who, for over 50 years, stood as an icon of Catalan counter-culture. Yet another Spanish-language hit for this cup sees BabyBlue claim 4 unique points to go ahead of Predictor in their tie.

BabyBlue 4 vs Predictor 0

HDS 0 vs The Old Crem 0

Pop_Zeus vs Perhaps 3

MariNisia 0 vs msc 3

Book 3 vs Sir Cunto 3

deadsox 0 vs Joey Russ 3

• Like 1

I see in my extended absence I missed an unlikely opportunity here to continue on.  Well, after recovering from a surgery and then Cov19 in rapid succession, I could have used the diversion.  But in truth, after a scoreless first round, tied or not, I really don't deserve to still be in this anyway. . . No matter what the coin might think.  So good luck to my replacement, An Fear Bag.  I hope you can ride this to victory!!!  Consider me SPANKED!

• Like 6

One of my squad, Les Jenkins, also known as Stupid Evil Bastard, dead.

Chances of anything approaching an obituary rather negligible I would have thought  :unsure:

• Like 1