Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

Always impressed by the research capabilities on display here.  Couldn't even get Catoir or Wright thru as solos.

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Annami (ANN): Alexander Kojo-Kum, Apple Watts, Clare Marx, Ella Scarborough, Frank Field, George Pérez, Susie Steiner, Lalu Prasad Yadav, Vicky Phelan, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, Nigel Taylor

TQR (TQR): Bobby Caldwell, C. W. McCall, Deborah James, Frank Field, Jayanta Mahapatra, Jorge Spedaletti, Kathryn Bevis, Maurice  Norman , Susie Steiner, Vicky Phelan, George Perez

Okay…I’ve only got past Round 3 once, so let’s have a look at my chances here: 

Slim as a stick insect’s wang.

Missed Taylor, missed Kojo-Kum (love the name), missed how serious Apple Watts was. So that’s 12 points right there, before we get to the (also very strong) rest of the team (aside from our equals, Steiner & Phelan).

My best chance is if McCall, James and Bevis all drop, and I pull another 3 back for jokering Pérez. As not-necessarily-impossible as that sounds, I’ve never scored as many as 15 points in a round before.

Prediction: ANN 15-9 TQR

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TQR said:

My best chance is if McCall, James and Bevis all drop, and I pull another 3 back for jokering Pérez. As not-necessarily-impossible as that sounds, I’ve never scored as many as 15 points in a round before.

Prediction: ANN 15-9 TQR

I know I took a big risk with dropping McCall this round. I don't really even have a logical reason for that but had hard time with deciding last names last night and felt like choosing some new faces instead of old ones. :D This is my best performance in the cup regardless, so I'm happy either way. Not really looking forward to a possible match with last year's finalists next month...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

@alt obits guy Who is Aysel Tugluk?  Tried googling it and got nothing

Aysel Tugluk is a Turkish (Kurdish) politician, jailed and left to rot there by her government and the courts. Her case has been taken up by notables in the women's rights movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aysel_Tuğluk

39 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Aysel Tugluk is a Turkish (Kurdish) politician, jailed and left to rot there by her government and the courts. Her case has been taken up by notables in the women's rights movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aysel_Tuğluk

Yes, the question was answered earlier.  Thank you

• Like 1

Congratulations on moving on to the next round Joey.  Best of luck going forward.

6 hours ago, Annami said:

I know I took a big risk with dropping McCall this round. I don't really even have a logical reason for that but had hard time with deciding last names last night and felt like choosing some new faces instead of old ones. :D This is my best performance in the cup regardless, so I'm happy either way. Not really looking forward to a possible match with last year's finalists next month...

Oof, that aged poorly pretty quickly: 

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Oof, that aged poorly pretty quickly: 

Yeah, I just heard that and I'm feeling pretty angry at the yesterday me who made a very stupid decision I had already started to regret. Congrats TQR for your first points!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Annami said:

Yeah, I just heard that and I'm feeling pretty angry at the yesterday me who made a very stupid decision I had already started to regret. Congrats TQR for your first points!

Well Jesus Christ :o

Cheers Annami, first of many hits in our draw I’m sure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Well Jesus Christ :o

Cheers Annami, first of many hits in our draw I’m sure

Hmm, I'm Googling C W McCall + death and getting top hits about a death hoax, apparently made worse because the Denver Post wrote something assuming he was already dead. 

On second thoughts...https://bestclassicbands.com/cw-mccall-obituary-convoy-bill-fries/?fbclid=IwAR2bTeQBQu2mg_T2zq4yJie6eeJDwAgEaXMOcvrLdcYgLfRvdJhbHxmhGJ0

Breaker breaker, this is Digger Warmly, we got a 10-7 on CW McCall, he took the meat wagon to hospice over a month ago and it looks like he's out of go-go juice and that's a foe. Yep, novelty country musician McCall is your first hit of the round-of-16. He was on radars in the last round after news of his hospitalisation, and now he's put the hammer down for the final time on his way outta Shakey Town. Salmon Mousse and Joey Russ both double-down for jokers, and only four teams fail to score with The CW. Also: Captain Hemlock finally has a hit!

Annami 0 v TQR 3

maryportfuncity  3 v BabyBlue 0

Salmon Mousse 6 v alt obits guy 3

YorkshireBanker 0 v DevonDeathTrip 3

Joey Russ 6 v Perhaps 3

Captain Hemlock 3 v  The Old Crem 0

gcreptile 3 v msc 3 

Banana 3 v Sir Cunto 3

• Like 5

I’ve not seen anything convincing that McCall is dead.  Google should have dozens of reputable links.  It doesn’t.  

19 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Yessir I just came to post it.  

What a bit of luck for me.  I completely missed his hospice care last month and @Book had him and I was like ‘oh well’.  McCall survives 32 days, allows me to rectify the matter, and wah-lah!  Points!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Yessir I just came to post it.  

What a bit of luck for me.  I completely missed his hospice care last month and @Book had him and I was like ‘oh well’.  McCall survives 32 days, allows me to rectify the matter, and wah-lah!  Points!

I thought about that too, but you would have won the round anyway. So it really doesn't make any difference. That's how the cup works! B)

So apparently my entire March team is now dying, dammit. I'm guessing tomorrow we'll hear news about Kane Tanaka's or Jean-Louis Trintignant's deaths. (Leonel Sanchez is dead, last month he was a popular pick, but this month no-one picked him.)

I like to pride myself on always getting that one very early Cup hit on the first day, see, for example, my 2017 and 2019 match against msc. So I went back and checked, and yes, SiMan Baby died on 1st of March last month:

https://www.mbfh.com/obituary/mr-silas-alexander-iii

Anyway, go on.

• Like 1

I've been distracted for the past few days, so I didn't get an opportunity to congratulate @YorkshireBanker on their victory. Not a match that will go down in Cup history by any means, but not every match can be a classic. Best of luck for the rest of the cup.

I didn't think that my line-up was all that bad, given how quickly it was thrown together. Even with more time, I don't think it would have been much different. I probably would have come across CW McCall, and then been even more surprised that I only managed one hit for the month. 

To prove that it wasn't such a bad team, one of my picks, Leonel Sanchez kindly waited until just after the month was out before departing the pitch. 

Leonel Sánchez, historical of Chilean football | dies | News teleSUR (telesurtv.net)

EDIT:

I've just looked back at last months teams. 12 players picked Leonel Sanchez last month, and no-one picked him for April. Have I just missed something obvious, or did everyone just give up on him this month?

1 minute ago, Annami said:

@An Fear BeagI think everyone (at least me) dropped him after reading this piece of news, and then he died a couple of days later:

https://www.nenroll-nenroll.com/news/leonel-sanchez-was-discharged-from-the-u-clinical-hospital/

Fair enough Annami. I will delude myself that I would have seen through that, and kept him on my team had I progressed through to this month :lol:

On 01/04/2022 at 09:00, Salmon Mousse said:

Always impressed by the research capabilities on display here.  Couldn't even get Catoir or Wright thru as solos.

I saw the same distant mention of Rayfield Wright as you I am guessing, and took a swing.  However it appears he has been suffering from dementia etc since 2014 diagnosis and not sure what prompted the ‘pray for Rayfield’ quote.  I’m assuming he knows more than we do lol but I’m afraid it may have been a general call for prayer rather than a dire one.  We shall see.

• Like 1

I'm on the commute. Seems Tommy Davis has died, Joey Russ pick IIRC.

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

I'm on the commute. Seems Tommy Davis has died, Joey Russ pick IIRC.

Yep, I did pick him. Perhaps my greatest cup find ever, his name and hospice were never specifically mentioned anywhere but a single photo along with a hospice mentioned confirmed it was very much him: 

I’m never going to sign up for Twitter.  Enjoy whatever victories y’all achieve on the backs of that website. 

• Like 1