Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

Cody Fuller is my "get out of jail card", the name I knew would hit. BUT... Annami has talent on the bench, too. Just repeating, Deborah James puts her ahead.. This match might be a fight until the last day.

• Like 3

Names like this encapsulate the reason I have never been tempted to play in this pool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A throwback to the early days of organised sport in the US, Cody Fuller represented Texas Tech in two sports at the national level: center-field for the baseball team and wide-receiver on the handegg side of things. Arguably if he'd stuck to one outlet he may have made more of it on the professional side of things, but he still made it to the big leagues and was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels, featuring as a bit-player for four seasons. He's been redrafted by the angels again thanks to losing a battle with pancreatic cancer aged 39, and his death sees gcreptile cash in their joke and overtake Annami, while Joey Russ opens up a four-point lead on Sir Cunto.

Sir Cunto 9 vs Joey Russ 13

maryportfuncity 0 vs DevonDeathTrip 9

Captain Hemlock 6 vs Salmon Mousse 9

Annami 6 vs gcreptile 9

47 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A throwback to the early days of organised sport in the US, Cody Fuller represented Texas Tech in two sports at the national level: center-field for the baseball team and wide-receiver on the handegg side of things. Arguably if he'd stuck to one outlet he may have made more of it on the professional side of things, but he still made it to the big leagues and was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels, featuring as a bit-player for four seasons. He's been redrafted by the angels again thanks to losing a battle with pancreatic cancer aged 39, and his death sees gcreptile cash in their joke and overtake Annami, while Joey Russ opens up a four-point lead on Sir Cunto.

Sir Cunto 9 vs Joey Russ 13

Annami 6 vs gcreptile 9

Hmm, eight teams involved this month, seven of them with points on the board!

• Haha 3

On 12/05/2022 at 10:21, gcreptile said:

Now, Annami has Deborah James, who is younger than Cody Fuller. That could be decisive if none of our differentials score.

Actually, I was wrong, Cody Fuller was 39 when he died (Deborah James is 40). Weird, I thought he was in his mid-40s....

Edit: But something against me: my Rabbi Baruch Shmuel Deutsch is apparently out of intensive care and now in a regular ward.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2022 at 10:48, gcreptile said:

No, not a hit, just posting how my Egyptian actor pick Abdul Rahman Abu Zahra has had repeated ups and downs this month.

From being hospitalised and not being able to eat, to still being critical a week later, to being stable but then returning to intensive care, and leaving the hospital, to being readmitted to the hospital just one day after discharge.

You really can't put more health updates and twists and turns in a month.

So yeah, as I posted a few days ago,  Abdul Rahman Abu Zahra left intensive care for a second time:

https://see.news/abdel-rahman-abou-zahra-discharged-from-hospital/

2 days later, yesterday, he returned to intensive care:

https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2022-05-17-the-deterioration-of-the-health-of-the-artist-abdel-rahman-abu-zahra.rJbdFkQbw5.html

To quote, "This is the third time that Abu Zahra has returned to intensive care, after he left the hospital the day before yesterday, and returned to his home again after his condition witnessed a slight improvement, but it seems that Abu Zahra's health condition is somewhat unstable."

• Like 1

One of my March Deathlist Cup picks, Marnie Schulenburg, has died. (Her death was also noted in 'The Dead of 2022' thread.)

I'd picked her because she had stage 4 breast cancer and hadn't posted on Instagram since January 1st. Subsequently, she posted once, just after Mother's Day (North American Mother's Day, May 8th). It was implied she'd been hospitalized prior to being able to visit her mother & her daughter. She explicitly stated she needed a portable oxygen machine to make the trip.

• Like 2

Edit: Sorry

Edit: No, sorry, false alarm (I think). Looking at foreign language pages at work - not recommended.

• Like 1

Seems like Cup pick Balwinder Safri is basically brain dead and only kept alive by dialysis machines which are about to be turned off. The family pleads for more time and it's making the BBC because the singer is from Birmingham:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-61513386

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Seems like Cup pick Balwinder Safri is basically brain dead and only kept alive by dialysis machines which are about to be turned off. The family pleads for more time and it's making the BBC because the singer is from Birmingham:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-61513386

OOhh, this row could last - maybe - 11 days!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

OOhh, this row could last - maybe - 11 days!

Heh, I posted it because I think it's either going to be over very soon, or it turns into an endless Terri Schiavo case with a billion Indians involved in British medical law.

23 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

You're still in the lead and I don't really believe in my chances at winning at this point. Though, of course there is still a question whether Deborah James survives till next month or not.

14 minutes ago, Annami said:

You're still in the lead and I don't really believe in my chances at winning at this point. Though, of course there is still a question whether Deborah James survives till next month or not.

I think it's definitely possible. I also think it's possible that one or two of my picks still score. I think we really have to wait until the last day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I think it's definitely possible. I also think it's possible that one or two of my picks still score. I think we really have to wait until the last day.

I'm telling my sponsors the same thing!

• Like 1

In one of the dullest months for celebrity death ever, Ella Scarborough is as good as it gets for us. She was the first black woman to serve as a commissioner for Mecklenburg County. Whoopy flip. Her death makes absolutely zero impact on the standings, despite three teams picking her: Sir Cunto and Joey Russ cancel each other out, while Annami - despite drawing level with gcreptile on points - still trails on average age. Fascinating.

Sir Cunto 12 vs Joey Russ 16

Annami 9 vs gcreptile 9

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 25/05/2022 at 14:59, maryportfuncity said:

I'm telling my sponsors the same thing!

Will you sack the manager if you end the season with no silverware?

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Will you sack the manager if you end the season with no silverware?

Well, it's my most successful DL Cup campaign to date, so likely not. That said, I clearly haven't a fucking clue sometimes - the current DDP line up was a carefully crafted ensemble intended to ease its way to a credible finish - it's out-performing expectations and has been since ISIS confirmed their leader was droned to death. The only rule of mangement I can identify after years of dead pools is that the harder I try the more the resulting team doesn't do what's expected. 

• Like 1

My pick Jack Kaiser has died:

https://nypost.com/2022/05/25/jack-kaiser-former-st-johns-ad-and-baseball-coach-dead-at-95/amp/

I saw a tweet he was in palliative care at some point last month. And then I couldn't find it again no matter how hard I tried. But it was true after all it seems. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Der Kaiser has been overthrown, as influential college baseball coach Jack Kaiser dies aged 95. As a player he helped St John's to the 1949 College World Series, but it was behind the desk he made most of his impact - as coach of the Red Storm he made 11 post-season appearances in 18 years, and was then a major figure in the establishment of the Big East Conference. gcreptile is on a roll with the Kaiser, and goes four clear in his tie with a unique hit.

Bujar Nishani was the youngest person to be appointed president of Albania, and thanks to complications of an autoimmune illness and COVID becomes the first democratically elected leader of the Retarded Italians to die. His premiership was mainly concerned with improving Albania's standing in the international community and making sure everyone knew how much Tirana loved an independent Kosovo. Salmon Mousse goes six points clear in his match, while Sir Cunto remains 1 point behind in theirs. 

Sir Cunto 15 vs Joey Russ 16

Captain Hemlock 6 vs Salmon Mousse 12

Annami 9 vs gcreptile 13

• Like 2