Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

Sir Cunto is phoning the Safri family right now and telling them to make peace with the memory of Balwinder today and then let logic prevail and pull the plug.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Der Kaiser has been overthrown, as influential college baseball coach Jack Kaiser dies aged 95. As a player he helped St John's to the 1949 College World Series, but it was behind the desk he made most of his impact - as coach of the Red Storm he made 11 post-season appearances in 18 years, and was then a major figure in the establishment of the Big East Conference. gcreptile is on a roll with the Kaiser, and goes four clear in his tie with a unique hit.

Bujar Nishani was the youngest person to be appointed president of Albania, and thanks to complications of an autoimmune illness and COVID becomes the first democratically elected leader of the Retarded Italians to die. His premiership was mainly concerned with improving Albania's standing in the international community and making sure everyone knew how much Tirana loved an independent Kosovo. Salmon Mousse goes six points clear in his match, while Sir Cunto remains 1 point behind in theirs. 

Sir Cunto 15 vs Joey Russ 16

maryportfuncity 0 vs DevonDeathTrip 9

Captain Hemlock 6 vs Salmon Mousse 12

Annami 9 vs gcreptile 13

So, the average score per team in this round is almost 9 points - I'll put that on my CV for my next managerial job in dead pooling, then

• Like 1

June team submitted.  Fully expect it to be my worst lineup yet!  A lot of work, a lot of pain, and not a lot of in-depth research.

38 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

June team submitted.  Fully expect it to be my worst lineup yet!  A lot of work, a lot of pain, and not a lot of in-depth research.

It was an honor playing you this past round. I wish you the best of success going into the Final Four and beyond.

• Like 1

June team either headed for the beach or out jogging - wishing GCR a smooth path from here onwards. Seriously, couldn't have managed the massive dual responsibilities of DL Cup management and overseeing the highly complex MMMDP from tomorrow, or summat

• Like 1

The usual uninspired cup lineup is in for June. If things hold, I gotta say well done to Sir Creep for keeping this match close. Your lineup definitely gave me a scare for this round and honestly either of us making it through would’ve been well deserved

• Like 1

Dick Brewer, in the last minute, 30 yards out, shoots and scores.

Team is in. I am starting to get confident enough in advancing to the next round.

Thank you Annami for a good game. I kind of think our teams each deserved more points.

Good luck, DDT!

• Like 2

Dick Brewer isn't just your mum's nickname down the WMC, he was also one of the most feted surfboard designers of all-time. Leaving California for Hawaii in 1960 for a career in surfing, Brewer's skills turned out to be more behind the lathe than on top of the foam. His use of shorter boards revolutionised professional surfing in the 60s and 70s, but his wipeout in this round of the DL Cup - despite coming drastically late - doesn't change anything. maryport and DDT both claim 3 points, and save the former the embarrassment of duck-egging.

maryportfuncity 3 vs DevonDeathTrip 12

Annami 9 vs gcreptile 13

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Team is in. I am starting to get confident enough in advancing to the next round.

Thank you Annami for a good game. I kind of think our teams each deserved more points.

Good luck, DDT!

Congrats, @gcreptile and good luck with the next round(s)! It was an honour to get a chance to compete against you.

Last year I didn't get further than the second round, so I am happy with getting this far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Dick Brewer isn't just your mum's nickname down the WMC, he was also one of the most feted surfboard designers of all-time. Leaving California for Hawaii in 1960 for a career in surfing, Brewer's skills turned out to be more behind the lathe than on top of the foam. His use of shorter boards revolutionised professional surfing in the 60s and 70s, but his wipeout in this round of the DL Cup - despite coming drastically late - doesn't change anything. maryport and DDT both claim 3 points, and save the former the embarrassment of duck-egging.

maryportfuncity 3 vs DevonDeathTrip 12

Annami 9 vs gcreptile 13

Brewer scores - I feel really good about my life now, then. - good game DDT!

• Like 2

No crime in scoring more than everyone but Joey.

Didn't help I was playing Joey. 
Sadly I lose when we know Safri is dead but not legitimately so.   That’s the way the Balwinder crumbles.  Well at least I get a bye next year. 

Congrats to Joey on the strength of a solo hit and the prevailing and deserved extra point and massive victory and I wish Joey nothing but the best the next two rounds!  Well done and best of luck, mate.

SirC

• Like 1

And so, the 31 names that matter for the semi-finals are:

1. Abdel Rahman Abou Zahra    GCR, JRU
  2. Balwinder Safri    SAL
  3. Bernadette Mayer    DDT
  4. Carl Kabat    SAL, JRU
  5. Chris Stone    SAL
  6. Deborah James    SAL*, DDT*, JRU, GCR
  7. Diane Berberian    SAL
  8. El Noba    GCR
  9. Eric Levy    GCR
  10. Frank Field    DDT
  11. Gerry Spence    SAL
  12. Gigi D'Agostino    SAL
  13. Graham Thorpe    JRU, DDT
  14. Grant Turner    GCR
  15. Greg Mears    DDT
  16. Haris Ibrahim    GCR
  17. Harry Greenway    DDT
  18. Helene Glykatzi-Ahrweiler    DDT
  19. Jaime Rodriguez Calderon    JRU
  20. Jay Hopler    GCR*, DDT
  21. Mint Sauce Small Q    GCR
  22. Mutulu Shakur    JRU*, GCR, DDT
  23. Nigel Taylor    JRU, GCR
  24. Red Farmer    JRU
  25. Renee Van Nett    JRU
  26. Robyn Griggs Wiley    SAL, JRU
  27. Shafqat Mahmood    SAL
  28. Steve McMichael    SAL
  29. Terry Gardener    DDT
  30. Tim Page    DDT
  31. Zeta Emilianidou    SAL, JRU, GCR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joey Russ Mutulu Shakur (C), Deborah James, Graham Thorpe, Jaime Rodriguez Calderon, Zeta Emilianidou, Abdul Rahman Abu Zahra, Carl Kabat, Red Farmer, Robyn Griggs Wiley, Nigel Taylor, Renee Van Nett

vs

Salmon Mousse  Deborah James (C), Carl Kabat, Balwinder Safri, Zeta Emilianidou , Chris Stone, Steve McMichael, Gigi D'Agostino, Diane Berberian, Shafqat Mahmood, Gerry Spence, Robyn Griggs Wiley

DevonDeathTrip Deborah James (C), Frank Field, Tim Page, Graham Thorpe, Greg Mears, Mutulu Shakur, Helene Glykatzi-Ahrweiler, Bernadette Mayer, Terry Gardener, Jay Hopler, Harry Greenway

vs

gcreptile Jay Hopler (C), El Noba , Mutulu Shakur, Nigel Taylor, Eric Levy, Zeta Emilianidou, Abdel Rahman Abou Zahra, Deborah James, Grant Turner, Mint Sauce Small Q , Haris Ibrahim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Dick Brewer, in the last minute, 30 yards out, shoots and scores.

Lol figures.  I got Dicked over.

Local nobody El Noba is dead.

Going to wait a few hours for a non-machine translated English-language El Noba obit, if nothing comes through then I'll update solely with Duluth's finest.

OK, so let's get the non-contentious hit out of the way first. Despite gcreptile's attempt at crossbreeding her with Robin Van Persie, Renee Van Nett remains very much her own woman on the mortuary slab. From the Anishinaabe people, she was the first Native American to serve as head of Duluth City Council - arguably the last true glass ceiling indigenous Americans had left to shatter. She was preceded in the role by Gary Anderson, but presumably that's not the diabetic darts moaner. A unique hit for Joey Russ, who goes 4-0 in his clash.

Elsewhere... El Noba's only English-language obits so far do appear to be machine translated. However, El Pais is an accepted source for QOs in this contest. And there is a story about his death in El Pais.... the Uruguayan edition. Which is hosted on a different domain to the actual El Pais site. If it was on elpais.com/uruguay I'd accept it. As it's elpais.com.uy, I feel that doesn't quite hit requirements. A QO probably will come, just on traffic chasing from Latin America, but if it doesn't... I dare say that's the risk you pick when selecting a guy whose fame rests on being part of one song that hit #9 in Argentina last year.

Joey Russ 4 vs Salmon Mousse 0

DevonDeathTrip 0 vs gcreptile 0

• Like 2

Just an update on my MMMDP selection I stole from here and my earlier Cup entries, Dr Greg Mears.  Alls we knew is he ‘entered home hospice’ late December 2021.  No idea why.  But sounded ominous and I see DDT thinks likewise this round. 
Here is a post from the missus late January.  Amazing this guy is still breathing, though it sounds like he was an alcoholic or summat.  Maybe drying out has prolonged things.

713702FC-097E-4EBF-BC8A-9C2F4969C2FF.jpeg

Zeta Emilianidou was the labor minister for Cyprus from 2013 up until a few minutes ago, when she finally carked it from complications of a massive intracranial aneurysm. Extended hospital stays are the scouting reports of the DL Cup, and so three teams score here: gcreptile shakes off the disappointment of El Noba being irrelevant to the anglosphere, while J-Ru and Sal-Mo stay four points apart.

Joey Russ 7 vs Salmon Mousse 3

DevonDeathTrip 0 vs gcreptile 3