Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

7 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Eduardo Romero dead

@Salmon MousseTurning in quite a showing 

As a golf fan, I mourn the loss of El Gato and, as a deathpooler, I mourn that I didn't find out about his health issues until January

• Like 2

Looks like "El Gato" has finally finished with his nueve vidas. Eduardo Romero was one of the greats of Argentine golf, who broke out of the Southern American tour to achieve success in Europe and two top-10 major placings. He moved into politics after retirement, and his recent announcement regarding stepping back from civic duties put him on Salmon Mousse's radar, and leaves MortalCaso swimming upstream.

Elsewhere, purists may scoff at the picking of centenarians with no recent health updates, but try telling Pop_Zeus that. He breaks the deadlock against YoungWillz thanks to the passing of Cuban-American abstract artist Carmen Herrera aged 106, and I've just realised the last four hits have all been Spanish speakers.

LizLemon 0 v. Masterffull 0
Sir Cunto 3 v. theoldlady 0
Salmon Mousse 13 v. MortalCaso 3
Wormfarmer 0 v. grobler 0
TQR 6 v. Gooseberry Crumble 0
HDS 6 v. Pedro67 3
wannamaker 0 v. Famous6Eva 0

JoeMoneypenny 0 v. Sideik 3
GuyFromFuture 0 v. Captain Hemlock 0
Annami 12 v. Hell 0
 ThereWillBeDeaths7 6 v. MariNisia 3
 Grim Up North 6 v. the_engineer 0
Predictor 0 v. Great Uncle Bulgaria 0
YoungWillz 0 v. Pop_Zeus 4
 BabyBlue 15 v. An Fear Beag 9

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Elsewhere, purists may scoff at the picking of centenarians with no recent health updates, but try telling Pop_Zeus that. He breaks the deadlock against YoungWillz thanks to the passing of Cuban-American abstract artist Carmen Herrera aged 106, and I've just realised the last four hits have all been Spanish speakers.

Surprise point there. Was just bemoaning that she was a big hitter in the Centenarians game and I didn’t pick her, whilst totally forgetting I picked her in this. Goal!

• Like 1

On January 26, Sandhya Mukherjee refused the Padma Shree, India's fourth-highest honour, as she said her seven-decade-long career in the music industry deserved a more prestigious award. The following day she fell over in the bathroom, broke her femur and developed COVID-19, two conditions that interlaced nicely with her lung infections, hypotension, ischemic heart disease and desaturation. There may be a lesson here in being grateful for what you're given, but Mukherjee's passing honours four active players: SirCunto and Salmon Mousse increase their leads, while An Fear Baeg and BabyBlue continue to slug it out. AFB has the third-highest score in the round, and yet still looks on the precipice of elimination - while as it stands, five people who have scored 0 points will be making their way into Round 2.

Sir Cunto 6 v. theoldlady 0
Salmon Mousse 16 v. MortalCaso 3
HDS 6 v. Pedro67 3

Annami 12 v. Hell 0
BabyBlue 18 v. An Fear Beag 12

• Like 5

BabyBlue vs An Fear Beag has shades of me vs Banana in 2019. 
In other news I think I’m unofficially at 15 points which is up there for the best performance of this cup round…

On the bright side for AFB, are you still doing lucky loser by "points in the last round" or by random draw? If the former, they're surely it if anyone fails to turn up on deadline day.

• Like 2

This could be the second year in a row that I get knocked out in my first match with 12 points. No complaints if I do - unlike last year, I am happy with the team I put out. Babyblue's 18 points is a fantastic score - I'm just unlucky to have run into it. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Babyblue's 18 points is a fantastic score - I'm just unlucky to have run into it. 

Similarly if Jorge Spedaletti dies in next 2 weeks Babyblue is going to be the unlucky one - 18 points and still on a knife edge!

• Like 2

I mean fucking hell, I was reasonably satisfied with the team I put out and I’ve only got fucking 6.

Still in the lead though, happy to be representing the amateurish majority.

It goes to show that you definitely need some luck with the draw in this competition. 12 points would have been enough to win every match I played in 2020, when I won the cup. It looks like getting me knocked out in the 2 Cups since. 

So much information seems to drop in January.  If only every game opened in February.

9 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

This could be the second year in a row that I get knocked out in my first match with 12 points. No complaints if I do - unlike last year, I am happy with the team I put out. Babyblue's 18 points is a fantastic score - I'm just unlucky to have run into it. 

If there’s a no-show in round 2 you’ll be first up (most points for losing team) so you may want to tacitly prepare a team regardless.  I advanced that way after a knock-down drag-out opener a couple years back.

Another one from my team is down: drummer Sandy Nelson dead.  This is actually a painful hit as the timing of it completely screws me in every death pool on this side of the pond.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Sandy Nelson was a prominent session drummer who had a few solo instrumental hits as well, most notably "Teen Beat" and "Let There Be Drums." He was also a former bandmate of both Kim Fowley and Phil Spector, so he really could pick them. Anyway, it's kismet for Nelson, and Salmon Mousse becomes the first person this tournament to break the 20-point barrier.

Salmon Mousse 20 v. MortalCaso 3
HDS 6 v. Pedro67 3

Annami 12 v. Hell 0

• Like 2

‘Berlin Candy Bomber’ Gail Halvorsen is dead. Points for @Predictor (deadlock broken in that match) and my good self 

EDIT: So is he actually dead or not? His Wiki page has changed from ‘was’ to ‘is’ and date of death removed since I last looked. He’s still on their ‘List of living centenarians’ too 

While we wait the VAR decision on Halvorsen, two points of order:

I think 72 hours before everyone else is a sensible window for the gamerunner to submit his team, unless there's any objections.

For drawn matches, should I draw lots to see who'll go through in advance so people who've lost on heads/tails don't end up submitting teams they didn't need to?

It's probably fair on deadline day to mention who won the "penalties" - I didn't originally until someone (Torva?) sent me a team after they'd lost a decider. But then of course you fall foul of the scenario bound to happen one day - someone doesn't put a team in, then of course one of their side are announced dead at 2 minutes to midnight. 

No match that ever needed a draw decider with 24 hours to go was settled by a late pick. Though one time Pedro lost a decider and still advanced because he put a team in and his winning opponent didn't! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

While we wait the VAR decision on Halvorsen, two points of order:

I think 72 hours before everyone else is a sensible window for the gamerunner to submit his team, unless there's any objections.

For drawn matches, should I draw lots to see who'll go through in advance so people who've lost on heads/tails don't end up submitting teams they didn't need to?

My approach to this would be to submit a team even if I was losing 12-0 (could happen) just on the off chance that the wind changes at the end of the month

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My approach to this would be to submit a team even if I was losing 12-0 (could happen) just on the off chance that the wind changes at the end of the month

An approach that often worked for you, Luigi! :D

• Haha 2

From the name, I assumed "Candy Bomber" Gail Halvorsen was a roller derby icon, but apparently it was some brer who gave chocolate bars to German children after WW2. Don't they know we're in an obesity epidemic? His passing sees Pop_Zeus put YoungWillz in the rearview and Predictor break the deadlock against Great Uncle Bulgaria.

Salmon Mousse 20 v. MortalCaso 3
HDS 6 v. Pedro67 3

Annami 12 v. Hell 0
Predictor 3 v. Great Uncle Bulgaria 0
YoungWillz 0 v. Pop_Zeus 7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

His

Oh Gail is a he - well you learn something new every day :-)

• Like 1