Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

Also, nice that we can now all talk openly about CW McCall being in hospice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I'm intrigued by the popularity of Jayanta Mahaptra.

In the Hospitalised thread Drol posted a link and in the post he said he was 'gravely ill'. 

The linked article was all in Indian however if you translated it said 

'he had a sweat at night, after which he became critical. this is said to be due to problems in food. the medical authorities have informed that his health is stable now'

Is there more or have you all just gone on the 'gravely ill' post? Sounded like food poisoning to me.

"Critical but improving" for a Drol named person usually equals "dead in three weeks"? 

Nah, it was a read between the lines pick. He's 93, he's frail, he had covid badly last year, and now he was "critically ill" for a minor upset tummy? I think he's worse than they're letting on.

I could easily be wrong of course!

FM players will be fully familiar with that "shit I need a third choice goalkeeper" moment pre-season where you just go to your scout reports and find the first free transfer stopper available. Drol provides a similar function for 11th players in cup teams.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TQR said:

Cheers!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a husband to meet up with, a plane to catch and a home to get back to. What are your plans? Then again, who gives a damn… 

@TQR Be warned I am in Alexis mode for the rest of the month..... Some much deserved  bitchslap  Alexis responses to warn you not to let your victory go to your head!

• Haha 1

DeathByArsenic (DBA) Alma Rosa Aguirre, Claire Maurier, Erni Mangold, James D. Watson, Jean Louis-Trintignant, Marita Camacho Quirós, Michel Bouquet, Philippe de Gaulle, Princess Mikasa, Tin Oo, Vicky Phelan (c)

vs 

Captain Hemlock (CAP) Frank Field (c), Violeta Chamorro, Jerry Lee Lewis, Nichelle Nichols, Pele, George Perez, Vito Perillo, Lexi Reed, Susie Steiner, Polina Strelets, Vladimir Zhirinovsky

interesting picks from both of us. I would give DBA the edge but I at least hope to score higher than the “zero” I posted in Round 1.

Hmm, this could be  close and we each have a different brother where the Klitschkos are concerned - to be clear, 112 year old Ethel is my captain (I'm just having a hard time making her understand!)

maryportfuncity (MFC) Ethel Caterham , Vicky Phelan, Vitali Klitschko, Bob Barker, Frank Field, Susie Steiner, Dame Clare Marx, Jorge Spedaletti, Kane Tanaka, Vic Elford, Joyce Reynolds

vs 

Famous6Eva (F6E) George Perez (c), Ingrid Arvidsson, James Earl Jones, Jan Englert, Josef Abrhám, Jerzy Hoffman, Miroslav "Ciro" Blazevic, Stephen Lewis, Susie Steiner, Vicky Phelan, Wladimir Klitschko

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Another poster even privately informed me when it first became news just because he's my theme team joker.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

MariNisia (MAR) Bill Steel, Dick Vitale, George Pérez, John Toshack (c), Kane Tanaka, Leonel Sánchez, Nigel Starmer-Smith, Pelé, Sandro Munari, Vic Elford, Vladímir Vólfovich Zhirinovski

vs 

msc (MSC) Vic Elford (c), John Toshack, Susie Steiner, Vicky Phelan, Rod Marsh, Jorge Spedaletti, Giuseppe Furino, Jayanta Mahaptra, Frank Field, James Jones, Maurice Norman

All right, here we go, @msc.

You scare me a little bit. :unsure:
You're a legend.
That's why I'm ready for this:
MariNisia: 3 - msc: 30

Yes, I know, I know, you don't need luck.

Because... I'm an insect compared to you.
But... good luck anyway.
I'm going to learn a lot playing with you.
Enjoy the show. ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

All right, here we go, @msc.

You scare me a little bit. :unsure:
You're a legend.
That's why I'm ready for this:
MariNisia: 3 - msc: 30

Yes, I know, I know, you don't need luck.

Because... I'm an insect compared to you.
But... good luck anyway.
I'm going to learn a lot playing with you.
Enjoy the show. ;)

Hah, I don't feel like a legend but never stop compliments! :D

I don't think I've ever Squonked (to use the term) anyone in the Cup. There's a lot of potential in your side (Vitale could be another clever pick) so imo it'll be a good contest. There are no insects in Round 2 of the Cup, far better deadpoolers than I have been bashed out of this thing by overlooked competitors.

• Like 2

I suspect that my meeting with Banana will see Goliath getting his revenge. It would be nice to get one as a consolation prize as I limp back to obscurity 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sideik said:

Let me analyze this...supposing hospice care guys are going to die we start from a score of 9-11, excluding the intersection the match will be decided by cancer-strickens Elford, Hulse, Wailer, Reichert vs Pernaut, Schulenburg, Parker, Raghave and hospitalized/frail Yai, Marsh, Sanchez vs Palmer, Spedaletti, Zhirinovsky. I need one hit more than my opponent to close the gap. I give myself a 20% chance. Higher than I expected anyway 

If it helps, I completely missed CW McCall's hospice care news :wacko:. But, I did sneak my joker, Howard 'Pepper' Martin, in as a unique. (A single mid-February interview revealed he's getting hospice care for lung cancer.) We'll see if it gets me anywhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Was thinking the exact same thing.  Pretty amazing nobody spilled the beans before today.... honestly didn't think he'd make the starting line.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Grim Up North (GUN) Vicky Phelan, Susie Steiner, Frank Field, Jorge Spedaletti, Nirmala Uppuganti, Rod Marsh, John Toshack, George Perez, C W McCall (c), Greg Mears, Madeline Cain

vs 

Salmon Mousse (SAL) C.W. McCall (c), George Perez, John Toshack, Leonel Sanchez, Cezary Kucharski, Jorge Spedaletti, Madeline Cain, Ankhal, Amy Pieters, Pele, Tevin Obiga

13 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Looks like I’m hoping that Leonel Sanchez operation goes well. :D

Good luck Sal. Half our teams are the same including the jokers.

Well, despite the extra days, I certainly don't see another 20 pt month in the cards for me.  Nice find with Nirmala Uppuganti, can't believe someone who has been in hospice care since September slipped by everyone else.  Rod Marsh is a miss I certainly have to blame the lack of my normal search capabilities on but, hey, I did it to myself.  I see there were 4 Madeline Cain thieves in total :lol: ... thought there would be more.  Oh, and good luck to you, as well.

Unfortunately I think the competitor(s) who selected Rod Marsh might be on a winner.  While there have been other cricketers who I watched in my youth die (Dean Jones, Max Walker, David Hookes), Rod Marsh is one of the true household names.   The messages about his health in the Australian media don't sound promising.  He would've been my joker if I was competing.

2 hours ago, Banana said:

FWIW this link mentions that he died "early in the week" but I haven't seen anything saying he died prior to today with a lot of tweets saying he died on the 1st so thought I'd be fair and mention

On 01/03/2022 at 08:24, Spade_Cooley said:

Pop_Zeus (POP) Agnes Keleti (c), Arnold Yarrow, Bobby Rush, Boris Pahor, Caren Marsh-Doll, Colette Maze, Frank Field, Frank Williams, Henry Kissinger, Mohamed Al-Fayed, Ronald R. Van Stockum

vs 

Perhaps (PER) Jayanta Mahapatra, George Perez, Frank Field, John Toshack, Amy Pieters, Susie Steiner, Rod Marsh, C. W. McCall (c), Leonel Sánchez, Jorge Spedaletti, Shalom Cohen

@Perhaps A team of random old farts who could die at anytime against a team of people mostly in a critical condition or terminally ill. Could go either way. Last months 2 oldies croaking served me well, but I have a bad feeling about this match. Your team look like strong favourites but you never know. Game on! 

4 hours ago, Annami said:

By the way, if there isn't some other Rajesh than this one, Rajesh in The Old Crem's team was already dead before the starting line. I was considering him for my team until the news of his death.

https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/bangalore/senior-kannada-actor-rajesh-passes-away-7780978/

Well-spotted, my brief research for the name alighted upon the other mononymous Indian actor called Rajesh, who is still alive. Old Crem, can you please clarify which Rajesh you meant, as I need to know whether or not to go through with a substitution. 

4 hours ago, Banana said:

FWIW this link mentions that he died "early in the week" but I haven't seen anything saying he died prior to today with a lot of tweets saying he died on the 1st so thought I'd be fair and mention

This tweet seems to imply it was the 1st he died on:

I think I'm going to allow it and redact points later on if it turns out he did die in February... I'll wait a few hours before doing anything official just to be sure.

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I think I'm going to allow it and redact points later on if it turns out he did die in February... I'll wait a few hours before doing anything official just to be sure.

The tweet says he’s just chillin at his house.

• Haha 1

. Never mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Well this news report is pretty damn sure DeLeone died Tuesday (1st March): https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2022/03/george-deleone-whose-freeze-option-ignited-a-golden-era-for-syracuse-football-has-died-at-73.html

• Like 2

In the forum, the Deathlist forum, De Leone sleeps tonight... It wouldn't be the DL Cup without a college football guy carking it, and that role is filled here by George DeLeone, who apparently "brought about a golden age of Syracuse football with his freeze option". I am not going to google what that means, but that's what he did. Banana starts off the round with four points, and Masterffull already finds themselves in a tight fit.

Banana 4 - Masterffull 0

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Last round saw us dip into the well of opportunities Spanish newspapers offered, but this time out we're moving to France and Le Monde's obituary for Jean-Pierre Pernaut. Pernaut served as host of TF1's lunchtime news bulletin for 32 years and was arguably the most famous newsreader in France during the 1990s thanks to his love of "and finally..." style regional interest stories. Newsflash for alt obits guy: he grabs a unique hit here and becomes the second player off the mark.

Banana 4 - Masterffull 0

sideik 0 - alt obits guy 4

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1